News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 04:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 626296 times)

PastryGoddess

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1785 on: October 31, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »
Exposure? This is what The Oatmeal thinks about that (sorry for language)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/exposure/exposure.png

I don't remember where I got it, but I have images of someones severely frostbitten face that I send when someone offers me exposure for my photos. 

Browyn

« Reply #1786 on: October 31, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I recently started selling my crafts again and within a week of announcing my new product had three solicitations for donations to charity auctions.  I guess I can't fault my friends for asking but if one more person says it's great exposure I may have a little mini melt down.  In my experience it's never been anything of the sort!

The weird thing is that sometimes it is.

My kids love their american girl dolls.  We found a woman who sews clothes and stuff for them, and spent some money, a few different times.  She also made girl scout outfits for the dolls.  My wife went to buy 1 for a girl scout silent auction event.  The crafter refused money, her daughters were in girl scouts, she wanted to support etc..  My wife went back the next year to buy some outfits (she does a big sale a few times a year) and the woman gave her a hug, and handed her 2 girl scout outfits unpromted for the next auction.  It seems that in the year she had sold like 40 of the outfits to parents who saw it at the silent auction and couldn't buy (it ended up going for like $75 way above retail).

Its stories like that which make people think exposure is always worth it, cause every once in a while it really is.

I made an 50's poodle skirt AG outfit for my sort of niece (her Mom is my son's Godmother) There is a lot of work in those little outfits!

Miss Misha

« Reply #1787 on: October 31, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
I wanted a HEAVY quilt for my bed. (I like the weight on my back) and begged my mother to make one. I didn't care what it looked like (well, I knew I wanted some roses but I volunteered to embroider those myself) but I wanted it BAD. She agreed and was making it out of denim. (I discovered denim was a bit of a pain to embroider, incidentally. My ideas of many colored roses became white roses sewn with crochet lace thread because it stood out so well.)

Mom gave me the same basic line when I asked if the quilt would be done by the time it got cold that year. So I took over cooking and quite a bit of housework so she would have sewing time.

She passed away before it was finished and the unfinished pieces got swiped by someone. I hadn't thought about that in years.

Maybe I'll try making a denim quilt next year, I go through jeans at a frankly embarrassing rate and the always wear away in the same area with virtually no wear on the rest so I have plenty of fabric. It'll have to have sunflowers though, my favorite flower is roses but Mom's was sunflowers.

I have no idea how to make a quilt, but I'm sure YouTube does.

Kimblee, this is an old post, but the bolded just broke my heart.  I hope the quilt scratched them in all the wrong places as they tried to sleep under it.  (hugs)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1788 on: October 31, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lendbreen+glacier+tunic+youtube&view=detail&mid=7C52F0296FA0D0A27C547C52F0296FA0D0A27C54&FORM=VIRE

Referencing the cost of completely hand made clothing - a wool tunic from around 380 to 400 common era was found and duplicated by hand (well, mostly by hand - in the interests of getting the project done, the spinning ended up being done partly by hand and partly by machine after enough was spun to give them a good estimate on the amount of time needed to do that amount of wool thread by hand)...the time estimate was around 760 hours and the cost some 380,000 NOK - this was done a few years ago, so the costs may not be the same if it had been done this year...if I recall - the exchange rate at the time put the value at a bit over $47,000 USA or so.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1789 on: November 01, 2017, 01:39:58 AM »
Well, now I have a new YouTube channel to subscribe to. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

kglory

« Reply #1790 on: November 01, 2017, 03:41:04 AM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lendbreen+glacier+tunic+youtube&view=detail&mid=7C52F0296FA0D0A27C547C52F0296FA0D0A27C54&FORM=VIRE

Referencing the cost of completely hand made clothing - a wool tunic from around 380 to 400 common era was found and duplicated by hand (well, mostly by hand - in the interests of getting the project done, the spinning ended up being done partly by hand and partly by machine after enough was spun to give them a good estimate on the amount of time needed to do that amount of wool thread by hand)...the time estimate was around 760 hours and the cost some 380,000 NOK - this was done a few years ago, so the costs may not be the same if it had been done this year...if I recall - the exchange rate at the time put the value at a bit over $47,000 USA or so.

This was fascinating!  Thank you!

anniehawks

« Reply #1791 on: November 01, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
I have made a few quilts in my time.  I'm not terribly experienced at it, so it usually takes me a very long time to make one.  I want to be sure I get it right.  Years ago, a very good friend of mine was having her first child.  I made her a quilt and she loved it.  We had a falling out and weren't really that close anymore when she found out she was pregnant with her second child, several years later.  She wanted me to make a quilt for the new baby.  I told her I would.  However, she decided that she was going to design the quilt.  What she wanted was incredibly complicated.  It would take me forever to make a quilt like that.  I told her I would try my        best since I had already agreed to do it.  Long story short, she kept pressuring me to get it done and I finally gave her what I had finished and told her she would need someone else to complete it.  We never spoke again.  I should have told her no in the first place.       

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #1792 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Was reminded of this thread a bit ago and remembered to look it up just now.

Acquaintance of mine at work suggested I donate one of my Teresa Wentzler designs :link herehttp://twdesignworks.com/Designs/index.html to the silent auction for charity at work. Or that I
might consider selling them.

My reply: "Why would I want to do that?"
Co worker's suggestion was for charity, or to earn extra money...I said I much preferred to write a check to a charity, and as far as earning money, where would she recommend I price the one she'd most admired-Lady of Shalott. CW recommended $200 and was a trifle surprised to discover that the materials, pattern, and professional framing and matting had run upwards of 215 dollars alone.

She sort of blinked and said she hadn't realized.  ??? I also pointed out that the whole reason I did the design to start with is that it is based on my favorite Tennyson poem and I would much rather have it here to look at in my own home.

I haven't cross stitched in a long time but you'd have to pry my Teresa Wentzler creations out of my cold dead hands. Even the small ones take an insane amount of work.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #1793 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
I may have told this before. It wasn't something someone expected for free, but it was oddly received.

Several years ago I made blankets for each of the nieces and nephews for Christmas. They weren't elaborate quilts, but I had spent a lot of time selecting fabric for each child's personality, and then making them.

One of the nieces opened hers and went wide-eyed with delight. She obviously loved it. Her mother (now-ex-SIL) said, "Do you know who that's from?"

Niece thought for a second and gasped. "Santa?!"

Her mother paused, then said, "Yes."

I didn't say anything, but I was annoyed, both because of the time and effort, and because Niece's obvious appreciation was basically redirected.

(When BIL and ex-SIL split and he moved out, she sent their kids' blankets with him - so the kids get to use their blankets during visitation, but not otherwise. She never did like me...  ;D)
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

XRogue

« Reply #1794 on: November 03, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Was reminded of this thread a bit ago and remembered to look it up just now.

Acquaintance of mine at work suggested I donate one of my Teresa Wentzler designs :link herehttp://twdesignworks.com/Designs/index.html to the silent auction for charity at work. Or that I
might consider selling them.

My reply: "Why would I want to do that?"
Co worker's suggestion was for charity, or to earn extra money...I said I much preferred to write a check to a charity, and as far as earning money, where would she recommend I price the one she'd most admired-Lady of Shalott. CW recommended $200 and was a trifle surprised to discover that the materials, pattern, and professional framing and matting had run upwards of 215 dollars alone.

She sort of blinked and said she hadn't realized.  ??? I also pointed out that the whole reason I did the design to start with is that it is based on my favorite Tennyson poem and I would much rather have it here to look at in my own home.

I haven't cross stitched in a long time but you'd have to pry my Teresa Wentzler creations out of my cold dead hands. Even the small ones take an insane amount of work.

My mother suggested I put mine in the will. I *think* she was kidding but I feel the same way as you about them, DoubleTrouble! :)

Sirius

« Reply #1795 on: November 03, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
My sister is a quilter.  When I was having to close out my late aunt's estate, her help was invaluable when it came to pricing all the quilting fabric and supplies my late aunt had had, as she had also been a quilter.  We also found a catalog showing the prices for a lot of quilt kits, and we priced the ones in my aunt's estate at a steep discount, e.g. Sis priced an intact kit that had never been opened with a price tag of $125 on it at $50 - and people still complained that the quilting materials were too expensive.  The ladies who handled the estate sale were also glad my sis was there, as none of us had a clue as to how to price all the quilting supplies and fabric.

*A lady who ran a quilt group that made quilts for orphans in South America bought quite a bit of the quilting fabric and supplies, then bought what was left after the estate sale.  I know my aunt would have liked to know that her quilting supplies went to make quilts for orphans.