News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 08, 2016, 06:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 624457 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #4575 on: February 04, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
DragonDaughter 3 told this story from university.

The professor assigned the class to write a psychological analysis of a famous person.
One student selected Nikola Tesla.

The professor accepted the selection, but mentioned that she had never heard of him.

Now, I know that he's not *tremendously* famous and a large portion of the population has no reason to know who he was, but I was very surprised to find that someone with a graduate degree had not done so.
I guess it was even more surprising because it's a Psychology prof and, well, Tesla is pretty much a poster child for "famous person with interesting psychological issues".

Just made me go "Huh. That's really surprising to me."
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4576 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

The professor assigned the class to write a psychological analysis of a famous person.

The professor accepted the selection, but mentioned that she had never heard of him.

Now, I know that he's not *tremendously* famous and a large portion of the population has no reason to know who he was, but I was very surprised to find that someone with a graduate degree had not done so.
I guess it was even more surprising because it's a Psychology prof and, well, Tesla is pretty much a poster child for "famous person with interesting psychological issues".

The fact that Tesla's writings and books were seized by the FBI after his death and his estate was immediately sent overseas didn't help.    Maybe if you were an engineer of some kind, he was famous.  But I was born in 1983 and was never taught about him during my years of schooling.  I knew all about Thomas Edison, but not Tesla. 

It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered the Tesla coil and Nicola Tesla were connected. 
Maryland

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4577 on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »
Or if you listened to American hair metal in the late 80s/early 90s.  :D

https://youtu.be/-2zwBRa0YhA

(IIRC SFW, but no guarantees)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4578 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »

The fact that Tesla's writings and books were seized by the FBI after his death and his estate was immediately sent overseas didn't help.    Maybe if you were an engineer of some kind, he was famous.  But I was born in 1983 and was never taught about him during my years of schooling.  I knew all about Thomas Edison, but not Tesla. 

It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered the Tesla coil and Nicola Tesla were connected.
I think if you're in anyway interested in science or sci-fi geekery in general, you probably know about Tesla. Otherwise, he's rather unknown to most people.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Carotte

« Reply #4579 on: February 05, 2016, 05:33:09 AM »
I wonder what the professor will say about the paper, she'll hopefully do a bit of research before condemning the student to a bad grade for eccentricity about a pigeon and such  ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4580 on: February 05, 2016, 05:56:21 AM »

I think if you're in anyway interested in science or sci-fi geekery in general, you probably know about Tesla. Otherwise, he's rather unknown to most people.

I was in a science and engineering magnet program for my 4 years of high school.  I'm only one point of data though.
Maryland

Margo

« Reply #4581 on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
It doesn't particularly surprise me. There are, after all, lots of famous people who have/had interesting psyhological issues, (and as far as I know he isn't the base point for any specific condition or disorder) so I would not expect the professor to know abut him on that basis, and I don't think he is particualrly well known to the general public.

Lynn2000

« Reply #4582 on: February 05, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
I got a new coat for Christmas, which is really nice. It has these weird fasteners, like hooks that bend and unbend. I was very disappointed when I started wearing it during colder weather, and found out that the bulge of my scarf under the coat caused the top fastener to pop open and let in a big draft.

My mom said, "Have you tried wearing your scarf over your coat, instead of under it?"

::facepalm:: Nope, that had not occurred to me...

(works great, btw)
~Lynn2000

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4583 on: February 05, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
I got a new coat for Christmas, which is really nice. It has these weird fasteners, like hooks that bend and unbend. I was very disappointed when I started wearing it during colder weather, and found out that the bulge of my scarf under the coat caused the top fastener to pop open and let in a big draft.

My mom said, "Have you tried wearing your scarf over your coat, instead of under it?"

::facepalm:: Nope, that had not occurred to me...

(works great, btw)

Okay, re: the bolded... huge threadjack, but you don't happen to have a background in online text-based RPG, do you?

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4584 on: February 06, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
I keep manuals if there might be something tricky about the thing - directions changing a filter or battery that isn't changed very often or how to run the self-cleaning oven, change its light bulb, and a few other appliances that aren't that straight forward - or to refer to if I or VorGuy is going to be programming the thermostats for the central heat & air - so we can check the directions (there are steps in an odd order to get things "just right")

When I was clearing out my late aunt's house after her death I found manuals for things that had been discarded years before.  Members of my family had lived in that house since the mid 1930s, and I don't think they ever threw out a manual.  When we had the estate sale we included manuals for items like the vacuum cleaner that were actually still in the house. 

Sometimes manuals can be very interesting reading.  The manual to my Bernina sewing machine is in four languages, but it's pretty obvious that English isn't the primary one.  Back in the index, the directions for sewing button holes were listed under H, "How to sew button holes."   Sewing the buttons on is listed under S.  There's also a section called "important savety instructions."  I've made a lot of notes to myself in the manual.

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #4585 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
I think the oddest language I've run into in a manual was many years ago for an Olivetti typewriter.  Incredibly awkward English in that one!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
Adults should really know that weather can be different in different places around the state.  I took a call at work last week from a patient wanting to pay her bill.  She asked how the weather was and I told her it was cloudy and snowing a little (she was calling from Arizona, and usually the snowbirds get a kick out of knowing what kind of weather they get to avoid!)  This woman was very puzzled and said, "Oh!  But I talked to my daughter in *city two hours away* just a little bit ago, and she said it was sunny there!"  Yes, well, *city two hours away* isn't in the path of the storm moving through, and *clinic city* is...

Susiqzer

Even nearby areas can get vastly different amounts of snow. I had to defend my decision to work from home with my office manager one day because there was no snow on the ground at the office. But 10 miles away where I live, we got 18 inches!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
I keep manuals if there might be something tricky about the thing - directions changing a filter or battery that isn't changed very often or how to run the self-cleaning oven, change its light bulb, and a few other appliances that aren't that straight forward - or to refer to if I or VorGuy is going to be programming the thermostats for the central heat & air - so we can check the directions (there are steps in an odd order to get things "just right")

When I was clearing out my late aunt's house after her death I found manuals for things that had been discarded years before.  Members of my family had lived in that house since the mid 1930s, and I don't think they ever threw out a manual.  When we had the estate sale we included manuals for items like the vacuum cleaner that were actually still in the house. 

Sometimes manuals can be very interesting reading.  The manual to my Bernina sewing machine is in four languages, but it's pretty obvious that English isn't the primary one.  Back in the index, the directions for sewing button holes were listed under H, "How to sew button holes."   Sewing the buttons on is listed under S.  There's also a section called "important savety instructions."  I've made a lot of notes to myself in the manual.
I have to look for a friend's instructions he emailed me once from the instruction booklet for his new FM radio alarm clock. It included things like "To tuning: twist the dial from frequence until rotation is standing off. " The rest of it was even more gibberish.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Dazi

• like the flower
Even nearby areas can get vastly different amounts of snow. I had to defend my decision to work from home with my office manager one day because there was no snow on the ground at the office. But 10 miles away where I live, we got 18 inches!

A friend of mine had that happen with flooding. She had to take a picture of her car with water almost up midway up her car and send it to her idiot boss.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah