News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 06, 2015, 09:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?  (Read 99695 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?
« Reply #585 on: June 18, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
Spotted today in my local Kijiji:

looking for a Intern to transcribe audio and handwritten material into Word

casuall starting immediately to mid-August

no pay- but a letter of recommendation will be provided at end of term

Just what every intern dreams of - working all summer for no money!

Letter of recommendation? Woo Hoo!

Oh wait. Would I have to type that letter up myself as part of that typing job?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #586 on: June 18, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
Spotted today in my local Kijiji:

looking for a Intern to transcribe audio and handwritten material into Word

casuall starting immediately to mid-August

no pay- but a letter of recommendation will be provided at end of term

Just what every intern dreams of - working all summer for no money!

That's the norm in some industries although that is changing. There have been some legal decisions covering that and unpaid internships are a bad idea these days.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
My agency gets unpaid interns.  However, it is in cooperation with their college, so that they get credit in return for writing a research paper.

Carotte

« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »
I've seen some pretty egregious internships adverts, stuff like looking for what amount to a creative director or project manager and asking for years of experiences. This is not how it works here (you can only get an interships through a school so it's implied you're a student and doesn't have enough experiences for big stuff)!

And a head-desk story related to me by a friend who works with company A.
Company A commition Widget-maker B for a widget that includes protocol X. Widget-maker B (WMB) assure them that they can implement protocol X, they have the knowledge and the means.
Of course Protocol X is not something everyone knows how to do, not all widget makers can do it, you wouldn't expect someone straight out of school to work alone on it. And yet what is published the day after Company A and WMB sign? An internship advert asking for someone who can do protocol X  ::)
Right, that bodes well for the widget...

Susiqzer

« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »

I don't think we have cottonwoods here in Maryland, but we do have Bradford pears.  yes they ARE pretty and grow into such a perfectly lollipop shape when mature.  Too bad they are super brittle and drop very large limbs like its ladies night at the local club. 
"Oh was that your car...sorry." 
"Oops, I just dropped a limb on your roof, you needed another one anyway. "
"Deity Bob! I didn't kill you, I just knocked you on the head a bit"

Bradford pears are terrible.  We used to live in a townhouse development where every house had a one in the front yard.  Over the course of a year, I think every one of those stupid trees had fallen over.

Oh how I hate the Bradford pear trees.  They look beautiful until we get those rare ice storms down here and limbs break all over the place.  We had about a 1/3 of one land on my dad's car.

And the smell when they bloomed...  Our high school had a courtyard near the cafeteria that was full of those stinking trees.  During one of the best parts of the year to be outside, no one could because the smell was so disgusting.  Which became a bigger problem because the cafeteria wasn't big enough to hold everyone that was scheduled for lunch at that time, so you ended up with kids just sitting against the wall and lining halls while classes were actively going on.

There's one right outside my office window... I can touch it from where I sit. Each year, it's misery for the two weeks it's in bloom. Ugh!!

A truck hit it this spring, and I was hoping that was the end of it, but the thing survived and stayed upright.

suzieQ

« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
One day, a doctor came in, pushed his way to the head of the line, and demanded a prescription pad. He then wrote out a prescription FOR HIMSELF, for 3 Tubexes of penicillin, because he felt like he was coming down with a sore throat. To everyone's shock, the head OP pharmacist leaped to serve him, in an ingratiatingly servile manner. His colleagues were seething, both at the doctor's arrogance, and at him for catering to it. He trotted into the inpatient area, picked up the three pre-filled tubes of penicillin, pulled off the caps and tapped the needles on the counter, putting a nice little hook on the end of each needle, recapped them, and delivered them to the doctor. When the rush was over, the IP pharmacists and OP pharmacists got 0together, and when everyone had heard the full story, the place collapsed in laughter. Oddly enough, the doctor never came back to buy tubexes again.
It's been a long while since this happened, and most of the pharmacists would be retired now, so I figure I can tell the story here.  >:D

Whoa. The head pharmacist was annoyed at the doctor, so instead of insisting he wait his turn, he sabotaged the guy's medication? And everyone thought this was funny? :o :-\ It's really horrifying to hear that someone in a position of such responsibility thought that was remotely appropriate, and even more horrifying that apparently no one else saw a problem with it, either.
I'm not saying what the guy did was ok, but the medicine probably wasn't sabotaged. The little hook on the needle would have just made the injection more painful.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

LEMon

« Reply #591 on: June 20, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
One day, a doctor came in, pushed his way to the head of the line, and demanded a prescription pad. He then wrote out a prescription FOR HIMSELF, for 3 Tubexes of penicillin, because he felt like he was coming down with a sore throat. To everyone's shock, the head OP pharmacist leaped to serve him, in an ingratiatingly servile manner. His colleagues were seething, both at the doctor's arrogance, and at him for catering to it. He trotted into the inpatient area, picked up the three pre-filled tubes of penicillin, pulled off the caps and tapped the needles on the counter, putting a nice little hook on the end of each needle, recapped them, and delivered them to the doctor. When the rush was over, the IP pharmacists and OP pharmacists got 0together, and when everyone had heard the full story, the place collapsed in laughter. Oddly enough, the doctor never came back to buy tubexes again.
It's been a long while since this happened, and most of the pharmacists would be retired now, so I figure I can tell the story here.  >:D

Whoa. The head pharmacist was annoyed at the doctor, so instead of insisting he wait his turn, he sabotaged the guy's medication? And everyone thought this was funny? :o :-\ It's really horrifying to hear that someone in a position of such responsibility thought that was remotely appropriate, and even more horrifying that apparently no one else saw a problem with it, either.
I'm not saying what the guy did was ok, but the medicine probably wasn't sabotaged. The little hook on the needle would have just made the injection more painful.
But wouldn't tapping the tip of the needle make it unsterile?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »

Maybe the pharmacist wiped them with an alcohol prep? I still think it's pretty horrible though, I have needle fears and the thought a pharmacist would sabotage my needle instead of saying "wait your darn turn!" scares me.

Momiitz

« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »

Yes the needle would be unsterile. And an alcohol wipe would not render it sterile again. (I work in the operating room)

Jocelyn

« Reply #594 on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »
I removed the story because of objections to it, and I did not want to be banned for posting it.
I would appreciate it if the rest of you would let it drop, as well.

weeblewobble

« Reply #595 on: June 30, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
My bosses, while lovely ladies, have champagne taste on an empty paper plate budget. Several times, they have asked me to plan a retreat on a budget of $0. I refused last year, as it is impossible to reserve a location without funding. The retreat never happened last year, as my boss became ill.

One of my colleagues has been asked to find the retreat location this year and is complaining to all and sundry how hard it is!

Where exactly do they expect to get a retreat location for $0? One assumes that a retreat would involve sleeping overnight. Do they really expect a hotel to give you a free night's stay in several rooms because you ask nicely?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #596 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
It is a daytime only event (so a work retreat), and I told them their options were the university library, a classroom or a public park.

NFPwife

« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
It is a daytime only event (so a work retreat), and I told them their options were the university library, a classroom or a public park.

I had a former boss like that. He'd want a community room somewhere for an event and I had to jump through 900 hoops to find and secure one.