News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 10:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 947269 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4470 on: July 29, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
I called credit cards at 11:00 p.m. local time, and was able to cancel them when I lost my wallet lo those many years ago.  Someone found it and turned it in completely intact - even the money was still in it.  The only problem was, the security people asked for a picture ID, and the only one I had was my employee ID from the hospital where I worked, as my driver's license and my civilian employee ID were both in my wallet.  They accepted it, though, and told me I looked just like my picture.  Since I know how I photograph, gee, thanks.  But at the time I was so thrilled to get my wallet back I didn't care. 

I had gotten into the habit of only carrying the credit cards I was actually going to use, so I only had to cancel two of them instead of all of them.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #4471 on: July 29, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
I had to go to my local credit union earlier in July the day before we were going to leave on vacation - I'd gotten a phone call from their fraud unit about a charge at a Ross Dress For Less in California (we live in Texas).  Apparently having a California store and a Texas fast food place turn in charges at the same time was suspicious enough to trigger the warning.

I looked over the charges over the last couple of days & they paid the fast food place and denied the other (much larger) amount.  The credit union closest to me cut a new card that day and I was able to leave on vacation on schedule with the new card & card number!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Ginger G

« Reply #4472 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:52 AM »
Does your debit card have a number of the back to call? I know mine does, 24/7, for instances like you experienced, so while they can't always do what they might be able to do during normal business hours, they can definitely cancel the card, and make a note about fraudulent charges, and then handle the rest the next day.

You know I didn't even think of that, but in my defense, it was a very odd night in my house!  In addition to the whole package/debit card fiasco, we were dealing with an unexpected guest - DH had brought home a stray dog he had found by the side of the road out in the country.  We're cat people and have four of them, but no dogs and no fenced in area to put her in, so we were running around like crazy trying to figure out what to do.  We ended up making 3 separate trips to the store because we couldn't seem to think of everything a dog needs in one trip.  The first was for food, the second for a collar & leash, and the third trip was for some treats and items she could chew on.  We still have her and are desperately trying to find a home for her.  She's sweet but we're just not ready for a dog at this time since we're both gone for 10+ hours a day during the week.

Chipmunky

« Reply #4473 on: July 30, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
Saw this on the newswires this morning....I'm actually applauding the scammers.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/catfished-girls-scam-isis-on-social-media-for-125374397897.html

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4474 on: July 30, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »
So I got my new cc, and did what I needed to activate it, etc. In the meantime, while looking at my activity online, i didn't see the one charge that was mine. So I called, to make sure they hadn't lumped that in with those that I didn't make. Turns out, its still pending, but they don't have it listed as one being disputed. Ok fine, great.

The rep also told me, even after my card was cancelled, someone kept trying to use it! multiple times, and it was declined each time. Weird. I also said I'm trying to figure out just how someone got my number, info, etc. since I really don't use it much, not nearly as much as my Am Ex. He also told me they are looking into that as well.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #4475 on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »
Does your debit card have a number of the back to call? I know mine does, 24/7, for instances like you experienced, so while they can't always do what they might be able to do during normal business hours, they can definitely cancel the card, and make a note about fraudulent charges, and then handle the rest the next day.

You know I didn't even think of that, but in my defense, it was a very odd night in my house!  In addition to the whole package/debit card fiasco, we were dealing with an unexpected guest - DH had brought home a stray dog he had found by the side of the road out in the country.  We're cat people and have four of them, but no dogs and no fenced in area to put her in, so we were running around like crazy trying to figure out what to do.  We ended up making 3 separate trips to the store because we couldn't seem to think of everything a dog needs in one trip.  The first was for food, the second for a collar & leash, and the third trip was for some treats and items she could chew on.  We still have her and are desperately trying to find a home for her.  She's sweet but we're just not ready for a dog at this time since we're both gone for 10+ hours a day during the week.

Just a side note: you guys are awesome for taking her in and trying to find her a good home!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4476 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:36 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/catfished-girls-scam-isis-on-social-media-for-125374397897.html
Although I'd be worried they might be charged with being associated with terrorism for accepting money from a member of ISIS.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PlainJane

« Reply #4477 on: July 31, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

Although I'd be worried they might be charged with being associated with terrorism for accepting money from a member of ISIS.
Not to mention that these are people who regularly cut peoples' heads off.