News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 29, 2015, 01:52:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 59588 times)

gmatoy

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1215 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
Went to work and walked home.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1216 on: January 27, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
Dryer repair guy came by - he was late, but he had the part in his truck (oh, joy!) and I won't be taking my wet laundry to the coin operated washateria three miles or so away!  (Washing machine works fine.)

Ran washing machine and did some hand dishwashing last night - poured cola soft drink in toilet bowl (it's supposed to take out a hard water stains, it may take a while if they've built up into scale & crud, though) and scrubbed it an hour later.  Ran errands and checked on status of an eBay return (it's there) - once the money is refunded, I can decide if I really need that *thing* or if I can hold off six months or so until one of my current *things* wears out.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

greencat

« Reply #1217 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »
I got plenty of sleep, got up, ate a meal, went to the gym, and then to physical therapy. I got gas, picked up money from someone for concert tickets, got back home, changed, packed my lunch, and then went to work.  I discovered after I got to work that all my end-of-year tax statements have finally been issued, so I was able to file my taxes during my downtime. 

turtleIScream

« Reply #1218 on: January 27, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »
Cleaned the dishwasher, including inside the hinge where the watertight seal is - yuck!
Ran some laundry.
Removed a wall of wallpaper.
Went grocery shopping.
Reorganised the pantry and divvied up snacks for grabbing food quickly.
Started cleaning the tub (my arms got tired); if I do the same amount every day for the next 4 days, my tub will be sparkly clean. It will be easier to maintain the clean, as well, now that I finally found a product that actually works.
Ordered a bento system for lunch boxes, since what we have now is not working - too many separate containers that don't fit well.
Made lunch. Dinner is takeout, because even this short list wore me out.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

mmswm

« Reply #1219 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Got the flights booked for a necessary, but unwanted trip. 

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gmatoy

« Reply #1220 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:52 PM »
Started cleaning the tub (my arms got tired); if I do the same amount every day for the next 4 days, my tub will be sparkly clean. It will be easier to maintain the clean, as well, now that I finally found a product that actually works.

Okay, that is just....tell us what the product is, Please....thank you. (And it didn't seem like a short list to me!)

turtleIScream

« Reply #1221 on: January 27, 2015, 08:58:35 PM »

Okay, that is just....tell us what the product is, Please....thank you. (And it didn't seem like a short list to me!)

Barkeeper's Friend. I love it for my enamelled cast iron sink in the kitchen, and realised my tub is the same material, so why not try?  I really thought my tub was just old and dingy. Years of built up crud are finally coming off; it takes a lot of scrubbing, but nothing has ever gotten through like this. Even my 14 year old noticed the difference!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

gmatoy

« Reply #1222 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

Barkeeper's Friend. I love it for my enamelled cast iron sink in the kitchen, and realised my tub is the same material, so why not try?  I really thought my tub was just old and dingy. Years of built up crud are finally coming off; it takes a lot of scrubbing, but nothing has ever gotten through like this. Even my 14 year old noticed the difference!
So happy for you. Alas, my tub is not made of that.

greencat

« Reply #1223 on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »

So happy for you. Alas, my tub is not made of that.

I like the Works (tub and shower) version for my tub.  I thought it was a different shade of "light beige" than it actually was!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1224 on: Yesterday at 08:09:11 AM »
If it is soap scum and not hard water buildup - cheap shampoo (for hair) will break down the human body oil and the stuff will rinse off.  A quick splash of shampoo, a clean toilet scrubbing brush (long handle) dipped in hot water to work the shampoo into the soap scum ring, and a rinse with hot water (sprayer or a large container that lets you move around the tub to rinse)...as a bonus, you can pick the scent of the shampoo to "freshen" the air.

The shampoo trick also works on "ring around the collar" on shirts...or in the case of someone who apparently wore a shirt once a week for months while letting it "air out" instead of washing it - I soaked it in warm water & shampoo (scrubbed more shampoo into the worst marks of "yukky stuff" before the soaking) and then washed the shirt (more shampoo in the washing machine) to find that it might be wearable by another student now that it's clean. 

Marching uniform for the class VorGuy teaches - I'm still grossed out at finding that anyone would wear a shirt enough times to build up the "body soil" to this level without washing it - but since it never went near the washer & dryer, the heat of a dryer has never set it permanently and it is now clean.  But it's like the third shirt that I've seen like this - apparently there are ones that look "worse" that have been thrown away without any attempt to clean them....

Kind of an "I accomplished something today" thread crossed with "Gross Out" and future Student Darwinism - possibly Professional Darwinism if the same person doesn't wash their clothing in college and then their future job...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?