Author Topic: Good host sites for a new blogger? Help!  (Read 267 times)

drzim

Good host sites for a new blogger? Help!
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
So, my 12 year old DD is very into creative writing and would like to start her own blog with short stories.

I know so many of you blog...can anyone suggest a good host site for a beginner?  Something easy to use and edit, with just the basics would be great.

Also any tips and tricks for a new writer would be appreciated ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Good host sites for a new blogger? Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
a wordpress.com blog is a good platform.  Blogger is still around and in use. 

I'd recommend either turning off comments or using a spam filter like Akismet to reduce the amount of spam on the blog. 

daen

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
The one tip I have for an aspiring writer/blogger is to make a schedule and stick to it. Announce it, too, so that her readers know that YoungDrzim updates her blog regularly, and when to expect a new post. Can she commit to posting daily (at least for a while)? Fabulous - go for it! If not, how about every Tuesday?  Personally, I think it's best if one posts at least weekly - the Internet (tm)  has a short attention span.

Setting the schedule at a doable level encourages her to keep producing. If she writes more than she needs for her posting schedule, she can either throw in bonus posts or save them for the times when she's running behind. She can always consider changing the post frequency or date if she has too much/too little or a particular day doesn't work.

Oh, wait, another tip - consider shorter, more frequent posts instead of longer, less frequent ones. Break a short story over a few posts. Instead of waiting to finish a longer piece, post a scene or paragraph that worked well or will otherwise increase interest in the story. And once in a while, it's okay to post about other stuff, especially if life is getting in the way of writing.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
A thought - instead of (or possibly in addition to) a blog, would she consider joining a writing site?  There are tons out there, for every possible variation of writer, and many of them have places where people can post all or part of their work and get it read/critiqued by other writers.  Starting a blog can be a lot of work, and it can be pretty disheartening to put yourself out there and not have anyone come see  :-\  If she got connected to some writer groups, though, it would be a built-in audience for her blog from the start - and she would probably become a better writer, too!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:32:44 AM »
Blogger.  That is where mine is.  I tried WordPress and it was so complicated. 

drzim

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Slartibartfast--any recommendations for a writing site geared towards younger writers?  I agree that a writing site would be a good choice for her.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
I started with blogger because it had a much easier interface (and left because I really hate the new interface), but whichever platform she starts with, content can usually be exported easily if she decides to move on.

If she's writing fanfiction there are a lot of sites for it, depending on the fandom, but if she is going to release original short stories, then Wattpad or fictionpress might be useful, or Archive Of Our Own (AO3) if anyone has a spare invite going. It's certainly easier to get a following on those than on a brand new blog.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Slartibartfast--any recommendations for a writing site geared towards younger writers?  I agree that a writing site would be a good choice for her.

Not my area, unfortunately - my corner of authordom tends toward the "not appropriate for children" type of romance novels :P  Absolutewrite.com might have some good suggestions, though.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I know you asked Slartibartfast but.... perhaps the Young Writers Program would be something to think about? The link is here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/

Basically it is a version of NaNoWriMo for writers of your daughters age. It starts in November and runs from the first through the thirtieth.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I know you asked Slartibartfast but.... perhaps the Young Writers Program would be something to think about? The link is here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/

Basically it is a version of NaNoWriMo for writers of your daughters age. It starts in November and runs from the first through the thirtieth.

I was just coming here to mention this

Nikko-chan

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 06:46:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I was just coming here to mention this

Great minds think alike.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
If she's writing fanfiction there are a lot of sites for it, depending on the fandom, but if she is going to release original short stories, then Wattpad or fictionpress might be useful, or Archive Of Our Own (AO3) if anyone has a spare invite going. It's certainly easier to get a following on those than on a brand new blog.

I do happen to have a few AO3 invites, if anyone wants one :-)