News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 23, 2016, 04:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ideas for vacation - inexpensive, no car necessary, one person -update & thanks  (Read 1197 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
Re: Ideas for vacation - inexpensive, no car necessary, for one person
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:32 AM »
I live in your general area (as on about an hour north of you). Do you like hiking and outdoors things? The Hudson valley has a lot of hiking trails and historic things. But not having a car could be an issue.

Hillcatlady

• "I cannot live without books" ~ Thomas Jefferson
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
I second the Hudson Valley for hiking and you can get to a trail leading to the Appalachian Trail from Harriman Station (Main/Bergen/Port Jervis train line). I've seen quite a few people doing precisely that.

Another option, if you like museums - how about the local nation parks and historic sites? There are several in NYC that you don't need a car since you already have a train pass. Some of them are quite inexpensive, others not so much.

A partial listing - The Hamilton Grange, Federal Hall, Governor's Island, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Roosevelt Home, Grant's Tomb, Castle Clinton. There may be one of two others that I missed. You may also want to check out the Tenement Museum as well (not a National Park and a bit more expensive).

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
How far are you from Cape May NJ? You could take a ferry over to Rehoboth Beach DE. Rehoboth is a nice place. Clean and has a boardwalk.

cicero

thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas!! I'm halfway through my vacation. I did one day of hiking (and trail maintenance) on the Appalachian Trail/Harriman State park (I belong to a group). it was wonderful! being out in the open fresh air, hiking, meeting some amazing through-hikers (some had already hiked from Georgia and are on their way to maine. AND we met a rattlesnake! some of the hikers we met let us know that there is a rattlesnake on the trail we are approaching. we heard it rattle and gave it a *lot* of space.

Unfortunately i had to waste one day of vacation at the DMV (and i'm not finished, but i got most of the work done).

I still have a few days left and planned to visit some elderly relatives and good friends. I never have time to visit people and without a car it's just such a hassle, but i decided to take the train and just do it.

Just slepping in a bit (till 6ish instead of 4.45  ;D), *not* running around chasing my tail all day, is really really relaxing.

thanks again for all the wonderful advicc. I will definitely make my way to philly at some point

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

z_squared82

You could spend a day at Sagamore Hill. I'd be jealous. But then again, I've been reading a lot about Teddy Roosevelt lately.

And it looks like they are running a free shuttle for the rest of the summer:
https://www.nps.gov/sahi/planyourvisit/directions.htm

bopper

Cape May, NJ!!