News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 30, 2015, 03:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Instrument lessons vs voice lessons  (Read 1067 times)

Re: Instrument lessons vs voice lessons
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
At 5, I would think the goal of music "lessons" should be "Music is fun".  So I agree with others that a group lesson/ is the way to go.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:35 AM »
I'm not much of a singer, but I was in a children's choir for several years, until about 14 or 15.  I learned to read music, to use my voice (projection, intonation), leaned how to breathe so I could hold a note.  I grew to appreciate all kinds of music, from religious to pop to classics to seasonal folk songs. Right now, I play taiko (Japanese drums) in a small band.

As strange as it may seem, it helped me a lot when I started swimming lessons, because I had a better understanding of rhythmic (sp?) breathing than the other kids in the class.

I think your son would benifit from any type of music related activity, as long as he enjoys it. I would suggest group rather than individual lessons, for the fun factor.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I am definitely looking into some group activities in our area.  I did find a children's choir, however the time and location is not the most convenient.  There are a lot of children's choirs in churches, I found, but we are not church-goers!  I do think my son would really enjoy something like a children's choir, so I will keep looking!  I'm not in a rush to find anything, this is something I was thinking he could do after kindergarten.  Thanks!