News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 25, 2016, 11:58:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1286041 times)

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #5460 on: June 22, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
I wouldn't be crying about insurance premiums to a stranger, let alone admitting it was my second accident in a few months. Sounds like someone needs driving lessons >_<

Well I was hit from behind 3 times in 5 months, two of which wound up at the shop.  And since Florida is no fault, I'm pretty sure accident 1 is why my rates went up at renewal.  If it happens again after the most recent one, I'll have to insurance shop :(

WHAT?!? If it's a rear ending it shouldn't be on your insurance at all...I dislike Florida and how they do things down there in this case  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I feel for you in this case. I've never known anywhere that is like that, so I'm actually shocked and upset by it.

lilfox

« Reply #5461 on: June 22, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
Legal but scammy all the same:  according to my phone provider, I'm eligible for an upgrade.  Woo!  I can choose from any of a number of models, all offered at the highest retail prices I've ever seen, and I only pay a fraction of the cost per month (until the entire cost of the inflated price is paid off).  Yeah, no discounts, so what's the point?

The way better deal is to switch providers and get a phone discounted to (in some cases) free in the new package, which is exactly what I did when I went with the current provider.   ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5462 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Legal but scammy all the same:  according to my phone provider, I'm eligible for an upgrade.  Woo!  I can choose from any of a number of models, all offered at the highest retail prices I've ever seen, and I only pay a fraction of the cost per month (until the entire cost of the inflated price is paid off).  Yeah, no discounts, so what's the point?

The way better deal is to switch providers and get a phone discounted to (in some cases) free in the new package, which is exactly what I did when I went with the current provider.   ::)

Not necessarily.  I would find it extremely annoying to switch providers every two years.  Not only that, I'm on an old ATT unlimited data plan.  Paying the monthly fee for my phone is well worth it to keep my plan. 
Maryland

shortstuff

« Reply #5463 on: June 22, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »

I worked out the math once, though I don't remember the model phone I was looking at.  I think I compared the Galaxy 5 and 6 when the 6 was brand new.  Anyway, the price-per-month plan was only a few dollars more than buying the phone at a discount with renewal, and I'm talking literally 5 dollars or so. 

The point is for those people who want to upgrade to the newest iPhone or whatever as soon as it comes out, instead of being "locked in" with their phone and service contract for 2 years.  As soon as you have 75% (or so, depending on the carrier) of the phone paid off through those monthly payments, you're eligible to trade up to the newest model, for a small monthly increase. 

IMO, it's the same as car sales people pushing the Low Monthly Payment! offer, instead of showing the overall price of the car.  When it's financed over a couple years, small monthly changes add up. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5464 on: June 22, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »

I worked out the math once, though I don't remember the model phone I was looking at.  I think I compared the Galaxy 5 and 6 when the 6 was brand new.  Anyway, the price-per-month plan was only a few dollars more than buying the phone at a discount with renewal, and I'm talking literally 5 dollars or so. 

The point is for those people who want to upgrade to the newest iPhone or whatever as soon as it comes out, instead of being "locked in" with their phone and service contract for 2 years.  As soon as you have 75% (or so, depending on the carrier) of the phone paid off through those monthly payments, you're eligible to trade up to the newest model, for a small monthly increase. 

IMO, it's the same as car sales people pushing the Low Monthly Payment! offer, instead of showing the overall price of the car.  When it's financed over a couple years, small monthly changes add up. 

And if you wait until you've completely paid the phone off...there's no increase to your bill. 

I don't believe in upgrading every time it's available.  I kept my iPhone 4 well past the upgrade time just because it was working fine.  It wasn't until I started to notice obvious hardware and software issues that I finally upgraded to an iPhone 6. 
Maryland

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5465 on: June 23, 2016, 12:04:33 AM »
I was looking at maybe switching providers, when pretty much all the big ones were offering some sort of we'll-buy-out-your-contract deal and offering free phones. Then I looked at the deals, and realized that I would have to buy new phones, and they wouldn't buy out my tablet contracts, so I'd either have to pay the cancellation penalty for those 2 lines, or ride out the time with contracts on 2 different carriers. And I'd still have to buy new phones on the new carrier (and new tablets) - the combined cost would really boost my costs, and completely defeat the purpose of switching.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Gladly

« Reply #5466 on: June 23, 2016, 03:22:45 AM »
Wow!  I'm such a lucky person!  I've just had an email from the FBI.  They want to give me 16.5 million US Dollars! 

The facts that they say I must read this "important meesage", and that the email has apparently come from Poland are completely irrelevant, aren't they?   ???

Oh, I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK, my email address clearly shows this, so why didn't they translate the number into £ Sterling (or even Euros if they are using a Polish office)?

*Wandering off to think about how to spend 16.5 million dollars    >:D

And, no, I didn't open the "Important meesage"

lilfox

« Reply #5467 on: June 23, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

I hadn't really thought about the different plans that people might have, I was kind of hung up on the "great opportunity to upgrade!" part, which I assumed meant an actual deal or discount.  The phones listed were in the $700+ range which is significant sticker shock for me as I hadn't been shopping around in a while, and even the cheapest of those would add 50% to my current monthly payments so it would have to be really worth it to me to want or need a new phone.

The bolded is what got my hackles up - I faced this exact situation when I bought my first car.  I had done my homework based on final price and the sales guy kept pushing "what can you afford monthly?"

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #5468 on: June 23, 2016, 02:40:05 PM »
Wow!  I'm such a lucky person!  I've just had an email from the FBI.  They want to give me 16.5 million US Dollars! 

The facts that they say I must read this "important meesage", and that the email has apparently come from Poland are completely irrelevant, aren't they?   ???

Oh, I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK, my email address clearly shows this, so why didn't they translate the number into £ Sterling (or even Euros if they are using a Polish office)?

*Wandering off to think about how to spend 16.5 million dollars    >:D

And, no, I didn't open the "Important meesage"

There's something about 'important meesage' that has me giggling at my desk. I think it's how I hear myself saying it.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5469 on: June 23, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »

I hadn't really thought about the different plans that people might have, I was kind of hung up on the "great opportunity to upgrade!" part, which I assumed meant an actual deal or discount.  The phones listed were in the $700+ range which is significant sticker shock for me as I hadn't been shopping around in a while, and even the cheapest of those would add 50% to my current monthly payments so it would have to be really worth it to me to want or need a new phone.

The bolded is what got my hackles up - I faced this exact situation when I bought my first car.  I had done my homework based on final price and the sales guy kept pushing "what can you afford monthly?"

There are certainly cheaper phones, but both the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy retail for between $650 and $800.  Some people can afford to buy them outright, but most people can't.  So adding the cost to your monthly bill makes sense. 
Maryland

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5470 on: Yesterday at 12:21:33 PM »

And if you wait until you've completely paid the phone off...there's no increase to your bill. 

I don't believe in upgrading every time it's available.  I kept my iPhone 4 well past the upgrade time just because it was working fine.  It wasn't until I started to notice obvious hardware and software issues that I finally upgraded to an iPhone 6.

My cellphone is from 2006.  I can make calls on it, and I could text if I wanted, but it's a real pain so I don't.  I mainly want a phone I can use in case of emergency, and my phone works fine for that.  Mr. Sirius got an updated model and I got what he used, because he has need for more features on his phone.  His phone has a map program that comes in very handy when he's driving a route he's not familiar with and there's construction, etc. the routers didn't know about. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5471 on: Yesterday at 12:46:46 PM »
I was looking at maybe switching providers, when pretty much all the big ones were offering some sort of we'll-buy-out-your-contract deal and offering free phones. Then I looked at the deals, and realized that I would have to buy new phones, and they wouldn't buy out my tablet contracts, so I'd either have to pay the cancellation penalty for those 2 lines, or ride out the time with contracts on 2 different carriers. And I'd still have to buy new phones on the new carrier (and new tablets) - the combined cost would really boost my costs, and completely defeat the purpose of switching.

None of them make it easy; last year I went from a pay as you go, no contract, back to one of the national providers. Mainly because a. they changed their plans and while initially you aren't saving any money, if you're like me, and keep your phone until it dies, i will eventually, and because I needed to add my mom onto the plan as she moved and needed a new cell phone.

They used to offer 2 year contracts, with a fancy new phone for not a lot of money. But their monthly plans were quite high. Now, you pay less for the actual service and data per month, but full price for the phone, over 2 years. And you can pay your phone off in full, any time.

So once mom and I pay our phones off, which will be in about 14 months, or less if we choose to, our montly cost will go way down. But even now, we don't pay all that much.

I still remember my boss saying "why didn't you get the iphone 6?" which was brand new "its only a few dollars a month more" yes, but it was $100 more for each phone, which was already 550 each for the 5.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5472 on: Yesterday at 01:45:08 PM »
We have a no contract (not prepaid) deal with T-Mobile. I can change it whenever I want, online, in minutes.

After paying off my two phones I got through the carrier, I swore I never would buy one on the monthly payment again, and bought an unlocked ASUS phone, which I love. I did get the premium version, but $400 was much easier to handle than $700 and it does everything I could possibly want.

I am experienced with the unlocked phone market, and would advise anyone buying one to buy a good name brand and to check out the reviews online, and get the replacement coverage if you can.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5473 on: Yesterday at 04:53:10 PM »
We have a no contract (not prepaid) deal with T-Mobile. I can change it whenever I want, online, in minutes.

After paying off my two phones I got through the carrier, I swore I never would buy one on the monthly payment again, and bought an unlocked ASUS phone, which I love. I did get the premium version, but $400 was much easier to handle than $700 and it does everything I could possibly want.

I am experienced with the unlocked phone market, and would advise anyone buying one to buy a good name brand and to check out the reviews online, and get the replacement coverage if you can.

That's the one thing I miss about T-Mobile.  I could get any unlocked phone I wanted to use with my plan. 
Maryland