News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 31, 2016, 05:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 763822 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #4935 on: August 12, 2016, 11:55:20 PM »
When I went to Antarctica, our destination was Casey Base which is due south of Perth and operated on Perth time. This meant that every 2nd day we had a time zone change. That was fine going down, but less fun coming home as I had to get up at 6am to work. So every 2nd day I had to get up an hour earlier.

Victoria

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #4936 on: August 13, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
When I went to Antarctica, our destination was Casey Base which is due south of Perth and operated on Perth time. This meant that every 2nd day we had a time zone change. That was fine going down, but less fun coming home as I had to get up at 6am to work. So every 2nd day I had to get up an hour earlier.

Ok, I understand having a time change for Daylight savings, but that is only twice a year, once an hour forward, once an hour back. Why every other day a time change? I must misunderstand your job, were you travelling between Perth and Antarctica? Time zones goof me up anyway, any help you can give would be appreciated.

oz diva

« Reply #4937 on: August 13, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
Sorry, I was not clear. I was travelling between Hobart and Casey and thus travelling through 3 lines of latitude. The lines converged the closer we got to the South Pole, so every second day of travel we passed though another degree of Latitude.

Victoria

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4938 on: August 14, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
Someone should tell the pool cleaners in Rio two things.

1. Chemistry IS an exact science, it's one of the most exact sciences tere is I think.
2. If you add hydrogen peroxide to chlorinated pool water you get hydrochloriic acid

I thought pool maintenance would require at least a basic knowledge of chemistry

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4939 on: August 14, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
Like the riddle of the Sphinx (there are several variants):

"What goes on four feet in the morning, two feet at noon, and three feet in the evening?"

Man.  Crawling as a child, walking as an adult, walking with a cane as a senior.  ;D

I've known that one since I was a child; I believe I came across it in an Encyclopedia Brown book!
I always think of Terry Pratchett when I hear that riddle. How to confuse the heck out of a Sphinx by arguing for the accuracy of the metaphor in the riddle.

http://deadlineisoverrated.blogspot.co.za/2009/07/dont-you-just-love-logic.html

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4940 on: August 15, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
In front of the two vehicle accessible entrances to my 6-floor office building, there are no parking signs. No parking, standing, drop offs, if the vehicle blocks the entrance. These are due to fire code, and we have issues with people leaving their vehicles parked there for long periods of time.

During the last fire marshal walkthrough of the building, someone parked there. They had the vehicle towed.

Last week, there was a power outage that caused the elevators to stop working, and the building was evacuated. Someone parked in front of the main entrance.

Today, I came in to work and there are 1' high letters painted on the pavement with no parking. We'll see how well people obey that sign.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #4941 on: August 15, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
As many of the flights to and from New Zealand (except from Australia, although Perth is 8 hours away)are very long and they are all over the Ocean, most flights are scheduled during the night, so that more fuel can be loaded.

So husband and I are sitting on the beach in Hawaii on our last day when he announces that his diary says he should be back at work already.  I replied that he had forgotten about the International Date Line,  and that we would be back home in plenty of time.
So we rolled up at the airport early, the first Gulf war had just started and many aeroplanes had been commandeered for troop transport, so we knew there might be some congestion.  Got to the front of the queue and the chap behind the desk informs us that we have missed the flight.  I replied that I know we were a couple of hours early but there was no need to be sarcastic."I wasn't" he said.  "todays plane went at half past midnight, and the next plane is now tomorrow!".
Thank the deity for Air New Zealand.  They found the whole situation very funny, and found us two seats on the plane, after telling everyone that I had the got the dates wrong.  When dearly beloved mentioned that he had questioned me, and I said it was because of the International Date Line, there was louder laughter as in fact it works the other way round.  Hawaii is 23 hours behind New Zealand not ahead of it.

Anyway we board the plane - where the air crew knew about the problem, and found we were not sitting together.  One of the crew worked very hard at rearranging the passengers so we could sit together, inspire of Husband's protest that it might be better for us to sit apart.  Of course in order to get people to shift seats, they had to be told why it was needed.  Many of the passengers were police, returning from the International Police Games, who use a 24 hour clock.  They each gave an explanation of how it works and why it was important to use it. 

By the end of the flight I was fully conversant with the principle and applications of 24 hour clocks and have used it ever since

signing off at 13:30 Amanda

I would totally do this. Numbers confuse me. So I am NOT looking forward to that on my upcoming trip; time difference etc. Oy vey. I need to review my times and dates well in advance.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #4942 on: August 15, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
I sew - but I was in my thirties before I found instructions on making "skin colored" linings for pockets when using white fabric for a garment. 

The only thing worse than white pocket fabric against white fabric is apparently the white back of a print fabric (skirts or dresses with pockets) against a black or dark navy blue print on white fabric.  You could *see* the paler patch of the back of the pocket...nude doesn't work there as well as the back ground color without the printed...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #4943 on: August 15, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »
Sorry, I was not clear. I was travelling between Hobart and Casey and thus travelling through 3 lines of latitude. The lines converged the closer we got to the South Pole, so every second day of travel we passed though another degree of Latitude.

Thanks, I thought I was going loopy (not an unwarranted assumption). http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/Smileys/default/grin.gif

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4944 on: August 24, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »
I received a housewarming party evite that included a MLM sales event to my work email from a colleague on 2/8.

I RSVP'd no. I was then prompted to choose something from the registry for colleague. I closed the page. I was then sent an email reminding me that I should buy something from the registry. I deleted it.

2/15 - I get another email, from colleagues personal email account, with an itemized list of what she wanted from the registry, a reminder about her party, and this gem:

If you are not attending please let me know when you want to stop by.  Looking forward to seeing you. 

I deleted it. I then received another evite, which I also deleted.

At this point, I had not directly contacted colleague, even though I was annoyed at this long line of invitations to the same event I had already declined.

Today, colleague contacted me on work instant messaging, and had the gall to ask why I was not attending her event. When I replied that I had other plans, she told me I sounded mad.  :(  ::)

You know, I'd just forward this to HR, your manager and her manager and let them know that you don't appreciate being bothered during work with stuff like this.

Exactly. Prior to this, I think I might have send a polite note expressing a desire to be left off any further emails, as I had already indicated that I would not be participating.

Colleague just sent a fifth iteration of the electronic invitation and her itemized wish list/registry to myself and to boss. The same boss who told her she wasn't interested and to stop sending this through work email.

You may have already responded to my invite and if so thank you.  However, the verdict is still out on a few.  Therefore, if you responded please disregard this email, I am just trying to get a headcount.  If possible kindly respond by date, either by replying to this email, on the Evite originally sent, or by texting me. 

I forwarded her message to her work email and asked she remove me from her mailing list.

At this point, she is just another annoying solicitor. The amusing bit is that she is attending a meeting tomorrow here, with boss and myself.

Update: 3 people showed up to the "housewarming" sales party. It turns out friend is not the only sales person, but is sales partners with one of the three who attended. 

There were 20 people invited from work.

Update. Colleague has now started to work with another MLM and has invited me, and the same group of employees to this new "party" which appears to be online only.

Sigh.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LadyDyani

« Reply #4945 on: August 24, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
Yeah, I think it might be time to go to HR.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4946 on: August 24, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
Oh yea.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4947 on: August 27, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »

\thread interruption

I would really love to go to Antarctica some day, but the odds of that happening are my odds of winning the Miss America pageant, which is to say impossible. 

\end thread interruption.

I read a caption on a picture of a mother otter holding up her baby that said, "Here is a mother otter holding up its baby."  Gee - I was under the impression that mothers of every mammal species on Earth are female.

oz diva

« Reply #4948 on: August 27, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
Sirius, I thought the same thing. But at the time I was working as a clerk in a shipping company, so my boss got me a job on the ship. I did the laundry for the 100+ crew and passengers. Incredible opportunity.

Victoria

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #4949 on: August 27, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

\thread interruption

I would really love to go to Antarctica some day, but the odds of that happening are my odds of winning the Miss America pageant, which is to say impossible. 

\end thread interruption.

I read a caption on a picture of a mother otter holding up her baby that said, "Here is a mother otter holding up its baby."  Gee - I was under the impression that mothers of every mammal species on Earth are female.

There is a practice in some journalistic circles of using neuter pronouns for all animals. I agree that it's a touch ridiculous in that circumstance, but some people have a hard time with exceptions to rules. The main exceptions, of course, are for animals who just did something gender specific or whose genitals are pictured, or named pets where the owner knows the gender (deferring back to "it" if you forgot to ask whether Skippy was male).