News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 10, 2016, 03:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 2215798 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #9330 on: February 05, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
I have one! I have one! Well, sorta.

I had my first child just before Christmas. I did my very best to cover all my bases before I left on Mat leave - contacted HR, worked out a plan with my supervisor and team leads, trained two co-workers on my duties etc. Left on leave on a Friday, had the Munchkin on a Sunday, home on a Tuesday.

Wednesday morning, I log in to my email to send a "Hey, I had the baby" email to our secretary. While I'm in there, I figured I'd update my Time and Expense filings, just in case the new system (which is draconian to say the least) has a problem with my Mat leave going through. Thursday afternoon, I got a phone call from HR - "Hi Seraphia, congratulations on the birth of your child, please call me at your earliest convenience." Uh oh.

I call in on Friday to a more-than-slightly frantic HR woman. Seems that when I called HR back in SEPTEMBER, whoever took my info down didn't pass that whole "she's having a baby" thing on to anyone, before leaving the company entirely. They had no idea whatsoever that I was going out on leave! There were a lot of frantic phone calls to a number of people trying to figure out how I was going to get paid while off taking care of the kiddo. It's hopefully sorted out now, but holy moly! Talk about burning your bridges, former HR person.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Lynn2000

« Reply #9331 on: February 05, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
Chipmunky, I think if I was Magic, I would send one email in reply to EA, copying Boss Lady etc. so she could see the screenshot. I would say, "Oh, I see the problem! It seems like the sister agency was given my work cell phone number, which I'm not supposed to use unless I'm working outside the office. No wonder I've been missing their calls! But, as you saw, I just contacted them directly with my office number, so hopefully that's been sorted out."

No fingers pointed, but making sure the problem is clearly understood. By the higher-ups, if not EA...
~Lynn2000

Kiwipinball

« Reply #9332 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Chipmunky, I think if I was Magic, I would send one email in reply to EA, copying Boss Lady etc. so she could see the screenshot. I would say, "Oh, I see the problem! It seems like the sister agency was given my work cell phone number, which I'm not supposed to use unless I'm working outside the office. No wonder I've been missing their calls! But, as you saw, I just contacted them directly with my office number, so hopefully that's been sorted out."

No fingers pointed, but making sure the problem is clearly understood. By the higher-ups, if not EA...

I'd be tempted. The mistake EA made wasn't necessarily that bad (seems like it could be an easy enough mistake to make) but that attitude is crazy! And confirming the phone number people are dialing who are trying to reach you seems like an obvious move. That's the first thing I'd do.

Lynn2000

« Reply #9333 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »

I'd be tempted. The mistake EA made wasn't necessarily that bad (seems like it could be an easy enough mistake to make) but that attitude is crazy! And confirming the phone number people are dialing who are trying to reach you seems like an obvious move. That's the first thing I'd do.

I was just thinking, it's not bad to make sure everyone knows to give out this phone number and not that phone number. And for Magic to make sure the boss knows it wasn't her being negligent about checking/returning calls. For a generic situation I'd call it a fairly minor mistake on EA's part, but she herself made it a bigger deal by reacting badly (and not seeming to even understand that a mistake has been made).
~Lynn2000

MissRose

« Reply #9334 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:30 AM »
On the weekends and nights, we have people coming in from the maintenance company.  During the week, they are to vacuum the whole building (with a few people and working a few hours each night) which can take several nights.   They are also to clean the bathrooms a few times a week too (we have about 4 or 5 sets of bathrooms in the building).  Nightly, they are to go around to the desks, and check the garbage cans, and if there is garbage, the can is to be emptied and a new bag placed in it.  The guy who works the day shift Monday to Friday has been getting complaints that vacuuming isn't getting done with 1 co-worker who purposely dropped something under her desk, and it took 2 weeks for them to come by to vacuum, over the weekends - the trash is not getting emptied & Monday morning arrives with 2 days of garbage in the under the desk cans, among other things.  The day time guy has made complaints, but nothing seems to be getting done at times.  Makes me wonder what some of the night people are doing -- playing on their phones or something because either the work is not done right or not at all.  Too bad the bosses can't drop unannounced and check things out for themselves!

Josiepug

« Reply #9335 on: February 08, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
This isn't Darwinism, but more what happens when you realize you've treated an employee badly and find yourself under her charge. Or at least think you do.

My sister worked as a performer and admin assistant for this guy years ago that was just not a nice guy. Very cocky, refused to promote her in favor of male candidates, etc. etc. Anyway he showed up at a gig I played over the weekend. I was in charge of payroll and attendance. Nothing else. No hiring or firing or music choice.

I've only ever met the guy once or twice and that was just in passing. I recognized the name and his instrument so when he came in and timidly asked if I remembered him I saw his distinct instrument and replied that he was my missing woodwind player. This kind of thing continued throughout the weekend. He kept waving at me shyly and asking me questions in a small soft voice. Overall it was really weird. On the last day as we're all packing up he comes up to me and, again shyly, tells me thank you for the gig.

As I was driving home it hit me. He thought I was my sister. Sis and I play completely different instruments and she's 6 inches taller than me so it never dawned on me he'd have us confused. So I guess for some reason he was hoping for a reunion with his former worker and instead thinks he got a complete brush off from the woman in charge and is afraid for future jobs.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9336 on: February 08, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »
But being afraid for future jobs because he treated the person in charge like dirt when he was in charge is definitely professional Darwinism, except he realized that it could come back and bite him.  A lot of professional Darwinisers don't realize it, or don't care.

darling

« Reply #9337 on: Yesterday at 08:23:54 AM »
Not sure if this will end up as professional darwinism or not, but our custodian is on thin ice with those of use in his areas of responsibility.

Things that we have complained about multiple times, and he's been told to fix:

1. We keep running out of toilet paper, because he won't change the rolls unless there is not a scrap of paper left. These are huge rolls, but if there is only an inch (thick) left of paper on both rolls in a stall at 8:00 am, it will be gone by 11 am at the latest, as there are hundreds of women who use that restroom. In the 17 years I've been here, we've never run out so much as we have in the 4 months he's been here.

2. Soap. Same. If there is even the tiniest smidgeon left, he will not change it. 8:30 am, no soap! And it never got replaced all day, because I was the one who emailed our admin to let her know that we were out again, she passed on the info, and no one ever came to change it.

3. Paper towels. Same.

His excuse: he "doesn't like to waste".

He cleans the bathrooms at 7 am. So if we run out of anything at all, he will not come back until the next morning. Our facility on that floor is open until 2 am! By 5 pm, us women-folk are either down to one stall, or running to other floors and hoping he wasn't covering for someone else that day (he has 3 floors, the other guy has the other 3 - the other guy does a great job).

4. He is supposed to empty trash and vacuum our offices once every two weeks. Because our offices are secure, he doesn't have a key. However, I was there when he was trained and we both told him that 10am on Fridays works well for me, and I will be there to let him in. Guess how often he vacuums my office? If you answered, "not even once" you'd win. I empty my own trash, because he's never even so much as poked his head into my office. And yes, I've complained, and it gets no where.

If there weren't a shortage of people in the custodial department, he wouldn't be here. He does mop, sweep, pull trash, and vacuum other areas just fine. He just has this "thing about waste" and ignores our area (if he's mad that he doesn't have a key to our offices, too bad, so sad. My office connects to the server room. He's not getting a key, ever, as it is a secure area!)

He's been talked to so many times by his supervisor and others, but it all falls on deaf ears. I kind of hope one of the big-wigs will end up in a stall with no paper, in a restroom with no soap, then maybe he'll be gone finally...

AustenGirl10

« Reply #9338 on: Yesterday at 08:47:18 AM »
I realize this would take valuable time out of your day, but couldn't you or someone else constantly, every 15 minutes, let his supervisor know that he hasn't done his job and refilled anything?  That way, it becomes his supervisor's job to actually get him to "do his job!" 

esteban

« Reply #9339 on: Yesterday at 09:35:32 AM »
I realize this would take valuable time out of your day, but couldn't you or someone else constantly, every 15 minutes, let his supervisor know that he hasn't done his job and refilled anything?  That way, it becomes his supervisor's job to actually get him to "do his job!"

Or get on his supervisor to fill it?

I know at my office if the custodial staff forgot something, or it ran out, their boss would be up filling it if needed.  Make it his bosses problem.

The artist formerly known as deadbody

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9340 on: Yesterday at 09:55:21 AM »
One day, we had no toilet paper in the entire building.  I think we were down to one stall with half a roll.  I actually ended up running home to grab a roll as I'm only 5 minutes away.

Building management was appalled and someone immediately came by with enough tp to see us through the day.

Turns out, the person hired to clean had broken her leg.  She was still coming to work but sitting at one of our desks and doing her college homework and not actually cleaning.  And never told anyone.

And yes, it was PD.

Though, as a PA move the next day before we found out what the issue was, when we had spare rolls in the custodial cupboard, I grabbed a bunch and made a pyramid on the back of the toilet of about 10 rolls so we wouldn't run out in the stalls for a few days.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #9341 on: Yesterday at 10:01:51 AM »
But being afraid for future jobs because he treated the person in charge like dirt when he was in charge is definitely professional Darwinism, except he realized that it could come back and bite him.  A lot of professional Darwinisers don't realize it, or don't care.

"Be nice to people on the way up.  You might meet them again on the way down."

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #9342 on: Yesterday at 10:40:07 AM »

"Be nice to people on the way up.  You might meet them again on the way down."
POD all day long
I'll get there.  Eventually.