News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2016, 01:08:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does anyone have a Kindle?  (Read 29487 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Does anyone have a Kindle?
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
It is not the personal information, it is that it required a two step wake process and had a error message on the bottom of the home screen that would not go away. Until I reset it. All is well now.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Crochet Addict

« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
I have one, DH has one, and Little Man has one (the kid's version, with the protective thingy around it). We all have the lower-end Kindle Fires. I LOVE mine- most of the books I have on mine are the ones you can get free, so I have loads of free classics that I'm working my way through. Little Man has some age-appropriate toddler games that he loves to play, and some books that we read to him. We also have a ton of regular, actual books. I haven't had any issues with any of our devices.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
I've broken the screen on 2 Kindle Keyboards -- I liked them, but the screen was pretty fragile.  I didn't bother trying to replace the 2nd one.  I *just* bought one of the cheap Kindle Fires, haven't played with it very much yet.   Seems like a pretty decent tablet for only $50.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2016, 02:35:30 PM »
I've broken the screen on 2 Kindle Keyboards -- I liked them, but the screen was pretty fragile.  I didn't bother trying to replace the 2nd one.  I *just* bought one of the cheap Kindle Fires, haven't played with it very much yet.   Seems like a pretty decent tablet for only $50.

The above raises a question: can it be used as a tablet?  Sorry if that sounds really dumb, but I've only ever seen a Hudl [tablet] close-to, and that is my mum's [so as non-tech as you can imagine a user].  She reads paper books, so I doubt she would use it as an e-reader, even if she could.

Would the Kindle let me go to Google [for instance when there seems no reason why the M20 is at a standstill (the government use it as a giant lorry park when there's trouble at the ports) ::)]?  And if so, how would it pick up a signal?

Please tell me if I should move my question to the Stupid Questions thread, it's just that Harriet Jones' post made it pop into my head.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

doodlemor

« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »
I just love, love, love my kindle.  I carry it around like a kid with a stuffed animal.

It is actually my 2nd one, and has a touch screen with illumination of its own.  The size of the letters is adjustable, as is the intensity of light.  It does some other things, too, which I haven't bothered to learn about yet.

I love the immediacy of it.  When I read a review of a book that sounds interesting I can download it right away, or at least put it into my wish list before the title is forgotten. 

I've also been able to read a number of books by British authors that aren't readily available where I live.  I was sad to find that I can't download books directly from Amazon UK, but maybe that will change.

Maybe; fingers crossed.  For the longest time, I used to get cranky that Amazon.com would stock what I wanted, but refuse to let me buy it (& pay for shipping, import duties, etc), and Amazon.co.uk wouldn't have that thing.  Amazon.com quite happily let me log into the US site with my account, just not use it.

I noticed with the items people have been recommending to me lately, most of them could be shipped to me in Europe [I'm just too impatient at the moment!].  Could be worth contacting them?  Let's face it, how difficult is "posting" when it's a dowload?!

I don't know for sure, but wonder if there are electronic reasons why we can't download Amazon stuff across the pond.  I'm saying this because DVD's, or the players, are different in Europe and the US.  Maybe there is some weird similarity.

If such is not the case, though, Amazon should fix things so that we can share kindle books easier. 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »
I just love, love, love my kindle.  I carry it around like a kid with a stuffed animal.

It is actually my 2nd one, and has a touch screen with illumination of its own.  The size of the letters is adjustable, as is the intensity of light.  It does some other things, too, which I haven't bothered to learn about yet.

I love the immediacy of it.  When I read a review of a book that sounds interesting I can download it right away, or at least put it into my wish list before the title is forgotten. 

I've also been able to read a number of books by British authors that aren't readily available where I live.  I was sad to find that I can't download books directly from Amazon UK, but maybe that will change.

Maybe; fingers crossed.  For the longest time, I used to get cranky that Amazon.com would stock what I wanted, but refuse to let me buy it (& pay for shipping, import duties, etc), and Amazon.co.uk wouldn't have that thing.  Amazon.com quite happily let me log into the US site with my account, just not use it.

I noticed with the items people have been recommending to me lately, most of them could be shipped to me in Europe [I'm just too impatient at the moment!].  Could be worth contacting them?  Let's face it, how difficult is "posting" when it's a dowload?!

I don't know for sure, but wonder if there are electronic reasons why we can't download Amazon stuff across the pond.  I'm saying this because DVD's, or the players, are different in Europe and the US.  Maybe there is some weird similarity.

If such is not the case, though, Amazon should fix things so that we can share kindle books easier.

Doodlemor, that could be part of the tax "thing".  I can order stuff from Amazon.co.uk when I'm in England, but not when I'm in France, despite the fact that the vast majority or what I order is shipped out from Luxembourg by Amazon EU [i.e. also on mainland Europe, and closer to France]?
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
My Kindle Paperwhite has a browser for the internet. However, I have not ever used it, and keep my Kindle in airplane mode for longer battery life and fewer automatic updates.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
Or possibly variations in copyright - it could be considered rude to the writers if they didn't get the proper share of the purchase price - as well as a problem with getting those writers to approve the release of their next book to the overseas market...

But I have no idea as to why they do it - I just know that is "the way it is done".  I'm glad that I live in the USA, where I can get the Kindle app set up on my tablet or laptop and download my library onto it.  I don't have to wonder if I'll be able to download a given book due to being in a different state than the one I was in when I paid for any given book.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »

The above raises a question: can it be used as a tablet?  Sorry if that sounds really dumb, but I've only ever seen a Hudl [tablet] close-to, and that is my mum's [so as non-tech as you can imagine a user].  She reads paper books, so I doubt she would use it as an e-reader, even if she could.

Would the Kindle let me go to Google [for instance when there seems no reason why the M20 is at a standstill (the government use it as a giant lorry park when there's trouble at the ports) ::)]?  And if so, how would it pick up a signal?

Please tell me if I should move my question to the Stupid Questions thread, it's just that Harriet Jones' post made it pop into my head.

Yes.  It has a browser already on it and amazon has an app store where you can get many of the same apps as you would for an iPad.  Their app store doesn't have *everything* iTunes does, but it has a lot.

Edited to add:  I think all Kindles get Wi-Fi, you can download books that way, although you can also use a cable connected to your computer.   It's possible some of the more expensive Kindles can get data like a mobile phone, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:44:24 PM by Harriet Jones »

Chez Miriam

« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2016, 04:57:30 AM »
Thanks, all.

Airplane mode: probably obvious, once one knows about it, but I didn't, so great tip!

Copyright: now I need to go "Doh!" at myself... ::)

Inbuilt browser/app store: yay! :)

doodlemor

« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »

Doodlemor, that could be part of the tax "thing".  I can order stuff from Amazon.co.uk when I'm in England, but not when I'm in France, despite the fact that the vast majority or what I order is shipped out from Luxembourg by Amazon EU [i.e. also on mainland Europe, and closer to France]?

That's interesting - I never thought of taxes.

I can't remember the titles now, but there were some books by Maureen Lee, Annie Groves, and others that I wanted to read that were set during WWII.  Some of the authors lived through the war in the UK, and others were born soon afterwards and likely heard many stories from their elders.  Even though the books were novels, I think that they gave an incredible picture of the hardships of life in England during WWII.  I don't think that most Americans realize how terribly the English suffered during and after the war - when the rationing had to be continued.

I was able to get some of the books online from other sources.  I had to wait for them, though, and couldn't read them always in sequence like I wanted .

Here's a weird Amazon thing - when I ordered a book from Amazon Canada it came quicker than those from the US.  It must be due to the distribution center in Ontario being close.  I ordered a book around 11 pm on a Monday night, and it was here in western NY with the Wednesday mail.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

Yes.  It has a browser already on it and amazon has an app store where you can get many of the same apps as you would for an iPad.  Their app store doesn't have *everything* iTunes does, but it has a lot.

Edited to add:  I think all Kindles get Wi-Fi, you can download books that way, although you can also use a cable connected to your computer.   It's possible some of the more expensive Kindles can get data like a mobile phone, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.

very first one did.   unlimited free data.   of course, it isn't like you would download a 4K movie on it.