News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 10:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 128542 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #870 on: July 21, 2015, 05:34:23 AM »
What happened to Deorr Kunz, Jr.?  http://q13fox.com/2015/07/19/one-week-later-no-sign-of-missing-idaho-2-year-old-deorr-kunz/  He's a 2-year-old who disappeared from a campsite, apparently due to confusion about who was watching him. 

There were quite a few family members there who saw him and each other shortly before his disappearance, so it appears unlikely that he was killed by family either there or beforehand, unless there was some great conspiracy involving several generations of family members.  If a family member had killed him secretly, how did they manage to hide the body so well when they were all together most of the time and only out of sight briefly?  The search radius has been expanded and expanded and he hasn't been found.  They dragged the reservoir nearby and didn't find him and it sounds like the search team feels confident that they would have found him if he'd been in the water.  Search dogs did find traces of scent in one area, so it seems like he was around there at some point.  But it's been a week, and he was 2.  How does a 2-year-old manage to wander far enough away from a campsite not to be found (dead or alive) in a week?  The parents think he was kidnapped, and while stranger kidnapping is utterly rare, I'm starting to wonder if it's a possibility in this case.  I hope he's found alive, although that seems very unlikely now unless he has been secretly in the care of an adult, but either way I hope he is found soon so that at least his parents know.  The not knowing must be so terrible.

RE the bolded - very easily. They don't have to go far - they just have to hide.  My cousin's granddaughter age 3 cause a Code Adam in a store a few weeks ago. She had been able to slip between 2 shelving units that the searchers walked past because it never occurred to them a child could fit. In the wilderness I can understand adults walking right past a place a small child is hiding.

In cases like this I have to wonder if there are cracks in the rocks a child could hide in/fall down or things like improperly capped wells.

Lost kids have been known to hide from rescuers because they were scared, or thought they were going to be punished. There was a boy scout a few years ago that had so much stranger danger drilled in his head he actively was hiding from the rescuers.
They were at a campsite.  I wonder if they looked into him possibly being taken by a wild animal?  There are big cats and wolves in that area.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

katiescarlett

« Reply #871 on: July 21, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
I think the poor baby is probably in the water.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #872 on: July 21, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
I think the poor baby is probably in the water.

If the search dogs didn't find him, it's either that or a vehicle  :-\ 

Snooks

« Reply #873 on: July 21, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
What happened to Deorr Kunz, Jr.?  http://q13fox.com/2015/07/19/one-week-later-no-sign-of-missing-idaho-2-year-old-deorr-kunz/  He's a 2-year-old who disappeared from a campsite, apparently due to confusion about who was watching him. 

There were quite a few family members there who saw him and each other shortly before his disappearance, so it appears unlikely that he was killed by family either there or beforehand, unless there was some great conspiracy involving several generations of family members.  If a family member had killed him secretly, how did they manage to hide the body so well when they were all together most of the time and only out of sight briefly?  The search radius has been expanded and expanded and he hasn't been found.  They dragged the reservoir nearby and didn't find him and it sounds like the search team feels confident that they would have found him if he'd been in the water.  Search dogs did find traces of scent in one area, so it seems like he was around there at some point.  But it's been a week, and he was 2.  How does a 2-year-old manage to wander far enough away from a campsite not to be found (dead or alive) in a week?  The parents think he was kidnapped, and while stranger kidnapping is utterly rare, I'm starting to wonder if it's a possibility in this case.  I hope he's found alive, although that seems very unlikely now unless he has been secretly in the care of an adult, but either way I hope he is found soon so that at least his parents know.  The not knowing must be so terrible.

Sounds similar to the Ben Needham case

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #874 on: July 21, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
It sounded like they'd dragged the reservoir and felt confident he hadn't gone in, although his scent was marked in that general area and that was the place they concentrated their search.  I don't know how truly certain you can be about water (I'm unclear on whether it's just an independent reservoir or whether it's connected to a larger waterway that he could have been swept into), but it sounded like they'd moved on with their search.  As for wild animals, initially they were saying that there weren't any tracks nearby and they didn't think that likely.

However, the latest update says that they're moving the search away from the campsite, and it sounds like they are starting to think more and more that either a person took him or a wild animal did, so perhaps the lack of tracks didn't necessarily eliminate animals.  They said they've had 300 searchers for over a week and that while they're leaving a small force there, they really don't think he's in the search radius.

I almost find myself hoping that somebody took him, because otherwise I don't see how he could be alive.  :(  Either way, I'm praying that he's found soon.  A week is right about the time that, if somebody did take him, they will probably start to relax and have him out, and an acquaintance might notice a little boy who has suddenly appeared.
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #875 on: July 21, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
When I was on the K9 search and rescue team, we did quite a few water searches.  We'd take the dogs out on shallow boats and they'd lean over the side and bite at the water, and would alert based on where they tasted/smelled the telltale chemicals from human decomposition. Then based on the speed of the water, the terrain, and sometimes a lot of physics, you could figure out how far upstream the body probably was.  It wasn't 100% foolproof - fluid dynamics is complicated - but between the dogs and the divers we could usually either clear an area or find the deceased.

Honestly, most of the time the search dogs weren't there to FIND a person - they were there to clear an area.  Like "We're pretty sure this kid just ran away from home, but we need to check the woods nearby to make sure he's not lost and in trouble."  Most of the time our searches came back negative - I was on the team for two or three years and never actually participated in a search with a live "find" - but that can be just as useful to rescue operations.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century

Victoria

twoferrets

« Reply #877 on: July 30, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

This thread was the first I'd heard about Deorr- how heartbreaking! I found a couple of articles from the past few days that say his parents & their friend are "persons of interest" simply because they were there, but they aren't suspects. I've always thought "person of interest" was a euphemism for "we suspect this one had something to do with it but we have nothing concrete yet," but in this case I hope that's wrong.

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #878 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
I wonder if it simply means somebody they're investigating in any way.  I mean, if they had enemies or one of them was in a custody battle with an ex-spouse, that could lead to a potential kidnapping.  So they're "interested" in the parents and friend, etc.

I find myself hoping he really was kidnapped and that he'll be discovered very soon, because I'm sure there's no way he could still be alive in the area of the campground anymore (and that seems very unlikely after all the searching, anyway).  It seems most likely that either someone took him away (a stranger or the relatives/friend), he was never there, or he's not alive anymore.  :(  Of that, the most likely chance for survival seems to be a stranger kidnapping who wanted a child to raise, so I'm hoping for that, even though it's the rarest and most unlikely in normal circumstances.  I do a new search for Deorr every day just to check for news.
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #879 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »

This thread was the first I'd heard about Deorr- how heartbreaking! I found a couple of articles from the past few days that say his parents & their friend are "persons of interest" simply because they were there, but they aren't suspects. I've always thought "person of interest" was a euphemism for "we suspect this one had something to do with it but we have nothing concrete yet," but in this case I hope that's wrong.

When a child especially under school age disappears or is dies the number one suspect is the family - because most children who are killed - are killed by family members.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #880 on: July 31, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »
Two recent ones, close to home.

Lonzie Barton - A 21-month old boy was reported kidnapped in a carjacking by his mother's boyfriend. It turned out that there was no one else involved, just the boyfriend, and he has been arrested but Lonzie has not been found. http://www.news4jax.com/news/officers-begin-sixth-day-of-search-for-lonzie/34419144
*In addition, during the search, investigators found a set of human remains in the woods and a submerged car with human remains. Both unrelated to this case.

2 14 year old boaters disappeared off of Jupiter. They were not supposed to take the family boat into open water, and the boat was found days later, with no signs of the teens. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coast-guard-will-search-all-night-missing-florida-teens-n401391

TeamBhakta

« Reply #881 on: July 31, 2015, 10:19:07 AM »
^Lonzie's case is from my area. His family is related to the long missing Haleigh Cummings. I feel sorry for both him & Haleigh, because they both come from shady families that repeatedly put their children in danger  :-X