News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 09:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aurora Teagarden mysteries - any good? UD 34 I read it  (Read 4084 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Aurora Teagarden mysteries - any good?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
Ellis Peters and the Brother Cadfael series of mysteries is fun.

I remember one medieval mystery - titled something like the "Nightingale Floor" - the wood from the floor in the hallway had been deliberately selected to squeak very loudly - as a sort of alarm along the hall that led to a "secure room" in the castle.  I can't remember much more than the title - but I do remember liking it, I just didn't find more books by the author (some years ago - I bet an online search would give me some ideas *now*). 

Time to go search Amazon.com, I think.

Edited to add - this one matches my memories - https://www.amazon.com/Nightingale-Gallery-Brother-Athelstan-Medieval-ebook/dp/B006CVNULC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495408903&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=mystery+nightingale+floor
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:22:57 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

learningtofly

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Drat!  I knew I was missing something.  I've been watching the Aurora Teagarden movies and like them, but should have known the books would be better.  Hallmark always changes things.

I love the Hannah Swenson cookie mysteries (they give you recipes!) by Joanne Fluke, but Hallmark has the actress playing Hannah all wrong.  She's too cute and perky.  Hannah is solid and down to earth.  And stubborn.

Off to find Aurora Teagarden for my kindle and to write down other books!  This thread gave me so many new series!

Last_Dance

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
Thank you, E-Hellions! I've read the first book in the series and I liked it a lot: I agree the ending was pretty terrifying. I did not guess the culprit - didn't see it coming at all - but I usually don't.

Lovely read. Loved the first-person narration and Aurora's voice.

I'll definitely buy the rest. (I have waaay too many ongoing series)
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Aurora Teagarden mysteries - any good? UD 34 I read it
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Alexander McCall-Smith? I especially love his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (set in Botswana) and then the Isabel Dalhousie series (set in Edinburgh). He has a few other series, but these are the two I've read the most of.

http://www.alexandermccallsmith.com/

pattycake

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Alexander McCall-Smith? I especially love his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (set in Botswana) and then the Isabel Dalhousie series (set in Edinburgh). He has a few other series, but these are the two I've read the most of.

http://www.alexandermccallsmith.com/

I have read all the No. 1 books, and most of the Isabel Dalhousie. 44 Scotland Street (& I think I read a sequel!) is good, and the Bernie (I forget the kid's last name) books are pretty good. I have heard some of the No. 1 books on audiobooks too, and really enjoyed listening to that particular reader as she has a South African accent. Definitely recommend all of them, and usually I just stick to mysteries!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
I noticed something this weekend - there is another *NEW* Aurora Teagarden coming out (next month) about what happens next...now that she's gone into labor and her younger half brother might be back in her life...

I also remembered where the Sheriff from Davy, Texas came from in the series Midnight, Texas...he mentions belonging to a historical murders club "when he was younger"....and Bobo (the pawn shop owner) used to live in Shakespeare & went to martial arts classes with Lily Bard, the lead character in that series...Bernardo is from the Grave Sight series - but mentions knowing a certain telepath who knows a lot of strange people in the series that got made into True Blood (it was marketed as the Southern Vampire series, the Sookie Stackhouse series, and the True Blood series....).

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
Purely by chance, I saw a trailer for the Midnight, Texas adaptation, and went off to find the book. Much less scary than the trailer (and with a very topical theme, given last weekend's events), but I enjoyed it enormously. This was my first Harris book, so the sudden but low-key introduction of a vampire was quite startling. It wasn't until I looked at her FB page that I remembered this thread. Thank to your comments, I'll give the rest of her books a try.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Posies

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
One of my favorite mystery series, the author captures small town southern living well. I like the characters she creates, they are pretty realistic even in slightly unrealistic situations.

TopHatMcGee

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
Delurking to play in this thread  ;D  Charlaine Harris is one of my all time favorite authors, but if you are looking for others, here are a few suggestions for cozies, I would not hesitate to suggest any of these to my mother is anyone is worried about content or language  :D:

Charlotte Macleod is worth a look, she has passed on but had 3 stellar series, 
Joan Hess has 2 series, one with Arly Hanks the female sheriff in Maggody and the other with Clair Malloy, small town bookseller. 
I also really enjoy Mary Daheim, as mentioned.  She has the Alpine series and another series about a couple of cousins and a B&B. 
Carolyn Haines writes the Sarah Booth Delaney series. 
Jill Churchhill is really good to curl up with,
Nancy Martin is fun,
Elaine Viets is superb with 2 series going on and a couple off shoots, 
Sue Ann Jaffarian is marvelous and has more than one series going,
G.A. McKevett is splendid as well.   

Not in the cozy genre, but an exceptional author is Fannie Flagg.

There are many others, but I grabbed authors that had staying power and most have more than one series.  And no, I do not have 5 kindles...............only 4  :-\ (long story) 

Somehow I fell upon a list that sends me emails with free books.  I ended up on a couple lists now.  They send me lists of mostly free books from Amazon.  It is really a great way to be able to check out new authors that might not be available through the library, (ebooks from my library is another fabulous feature!)  They mostly are free for 24 hours or so, others are .99-4.99 mainly.  If anyone is interested, one is called BookBub and the other is Digital Book Today. 

Ok, I will hush now  >:D  I hope I did this right.