News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 30, 2015, 12:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Wedding Attire  (Read 558 times)

coolio

S/O Wedding Attire
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
What meaning does the wedding attire hold for you after many years? To those who have kept their wedding dress, and can not part with it or create it into something else why can't you.

Frog24

Re: S/O Wedding Attire
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
I suppose I'm keeping mine so that one day my daughters can use it as play clothing.  It's an A-line dress, so the crinoline alone would make a fabulous play house.  ;)

demarco

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
I have kept my wedding dress. I'm not saving it for any particular reason except that it is, after all,  my wedding dress.  Even if I had a daughter she wouldn't want to wear it. No one would. It is an ecru cheesecloth two piece thing that I paid twenty three dollars for. I chose it because it was the only thing I could find that would fit my then fire hydrant-shaped form and that I could afford.  It is stored in a small, ordinary department store box, along with a ribbon I used as a belt. It is thirty-six years old. I don't even want to open the box now and look at it because I fear that it may have turned brown and crumbly, like the cloth the mummies in the museum are wrapped in.

I had the romantic idea of wearing it on our first anniversary but that didn't work very well because I'd gained weight and I had to wear an industrial strength foundation garment just to squeeze into the thing. I could hardly breath the whole night. (It might be a hoot to put it on now because I'm quite a bit thinner than I was when I got married.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
It's unlikely that my daughters would be able to wear my dress, they both have a much smaller build than I ever had.  If the fabric has held up, I wouldn't mind if they wanted to use the silk to make some kind of accessory.

catwhiskers

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:46:25 AM »
I still wear mine from time to time, but it doesn't look anything like a typical wedding dress. I'm not normally a dress person at all, so I just kept it for those occasions when I feel I really ought to be wearing a dress. I don't have any sort of attachment to it, if it starts to look shabby or ends up no longer fitting, I will get rid of it.

CakeEater

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:11:26 AM »
We just had our 9th anniversary.

My wedding dress is a strapless A-line, with beading, train etc. Very wedding-y. It's in a box in the cupboard. I tried to sell it, but we live in a rural area, and I'm pretty tall and had it cut very long, so there was very little chance of finding someone in my area with my dimensions to buy it.

I don't fit into it - I'd like to be able to again one day.

I guess I'm keeping it now for sentimental reasons - I'd actually like to see my daughter in it in 20 years, although I don't expect her to want to get married in it at all.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 04:45:53 AM »
my first wedding dress was eventually dubbed "the cursed dress"  >:D as the both its first owner (my cousin) and its second wearer (me) got divorced from those weddings... i actually liked it at the  time, i was never a fancy poofy dress kind of girl, and it was a cotton mexican wedding dress (white with white lace/embroidery).

second wedding, i bought a very nice cream color suit (skirt and jacket). i still have it. not sure why. That wedding ended in divorce too. i wore it a bit after the wedding for special ocassions. it doesn't fit, and it's really not my style thought i probably could have it dyed and... i should just toss it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

NbyNW

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:53 AM »
I wore my mother's wedding dress and it currently resides in a box under our bed. I don't know that it will ever be worn again though. Truth be told, I just barely carried it off--my mother was at least 3 inches shorter than me. My daughter had no interest in wearing it on her wedding day and it certainly is very  old fashioned looking but I keep it for sentimental reasons. I thought it was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen when I was growing up.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
I have no attachment to my Wedding dress at all.  It's a knee-length dress of cotton lace that I bought at the late, lamented Alexander's for 40 USD in 1982.   

I had an elbow-length veil that I gave to a co-worker's 7 year-old daughter because the child said she liked my 'Bride Hat'. 

To me, the clothing wasn't important.  I wanted something appropriate for my age and, at 35,  a gown just wouldn't do.  Also, we were buying an apartment and, although we gave our guests a fine reception, we saved money where we could. 

Each Bride feels differently about these things. 

betty

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
I decided that the 17th anniversary was the "donate the dress" anniversary. I had a pang of guilt or nostalgia, so I put on the dress (it zipped most of the way up!), took a photo, and then brought it to my fave charity thrift store. I enjoy the extra closet space more than having the dress hanging there.