News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 11:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 23 and me?  (Read 1186 times)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
23 and me?
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:53:33 PM »
Has anyone done the 23andme test?

I did one and got my results today and it was eerily accurate.
I'm 99.4 percent European (British and Irish), don't drink much caffeine, have detached earlobes, don't get a lot of deep sleep, am not lactose intolerant, am not a sprint runner, have light hair, blue eyes, wavy hair, and have the gene that detects asparagus (all of those are true, especailly the sleep part, I have the worst time sleeping). My line goes back about 38,000 years. It had loads of other information as well.

I found it really neat but I did choose the option to not share it so they can't use it for commercial purposes. It did tell me that I'm not a carrier for a lot of things, genetically speaking.

Has anyone else done this?

Whimsyone

Re: 23 and me?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Our whole family has used 23&Me, and have been very pleased. Once you send back your kit, they give you mountains of information. Not only your precise ethnic heritage, broken down by geographical areas, but reports on other items. Such as, "There is a high degree of possibiity that you have fair skin."  My hubby's family also had it done, but with a different company. They sent us their reports; not half as detailed as ours! His brother was a bit irked when he saw ours!
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

knitwicca

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
I was unfamiliar but now want to do 23andme.

I checked their privacy policy. They don't share at all (even law enforcement) without a subpoena if you choose not to allow it.

gmatoy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm glad that I read both the OP and the next post; otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue as to what you were talking about. I will mention this test to a friend who has been talking about this type  of thing. Is it also a DNA test? Thank you, Ester_bunny and Whimsyone, I learned something new today!

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »
One of my vet tech teachers did it one year.  Really enjoyed it getting her results.  I sent mine off early this week, and now I'm waiting and fidgeting while I wait...
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
I did 23 and me. Liked it so much that I also had my brother do it. I like how it shows the chromosomes- which is something that I did not find in any other genetic tests.
I have pet mice!

Mommyoops

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »
My almost twelve year old did this for a crohn's study (he has severe crohn's disease). It was very interesting to read.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 04:06:54 PM »
My second cousin (our grandparents were siblings) has done this through Ancestry.com.  Not a lot of detail according to her. 

Hmmmmm

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
My sister is talking about doing it. What information did you learn that you didn't already know. (I'm sort of assuming everyone already has a pretty good idea of their eye/hair color and whether they like coffee) ;)