News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 11:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1509034 times)

hot_shaker

• Friendly EHell Crank
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1575 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »

Men can get breast cancer, too.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of denying your son water because of the color of the bottle cap.

I had no idea men could get it too. You learn something new everyday!

My grandpa's priest died of breast cancer.  It's especially bad in men because they don't have as much breast tissue.  It metastasizes very quickly. :(

While breast cancer is less common in men, a higher percentage of men die from the disease (I think ~25%) simply because they don't know to look for it.  There are huge BC campaigns that advocating monthly self-exams, mammograms, etc. so women are more likely to notice a lump before it's too late.  I think the people running the BC awareness campaigns are just now beginning to reach out to men as well; I'm definitely hearing about it more lately.

I don't know that the amount of tissue has any effect of metastasis rate though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Elle

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1576 on: November 04, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
Didn't the drummer of Led Zepplin just get diagnosed with it?

kareng57

« Reply #1577 on: November 04, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of denying your son water because of the color of the bottle cap.

My grandpa's priest died of breast cancer.  It's especially bad in men because they don't have as much breast tissue.  It metastasizes very quickly. :(

While breast cancer is less common in men, a higher percentage of men die from the disease (I think ~25%) simply because they don't know to look for it.  There are huge BC campaigns that advocating monthly self-exams, mammograms, etc. so women are more likely to notice a lump before it's too late.  I think the people running the BC awareness campaigns are just now beginning to reach out to men as well; I'm definitely hearing about it more lately.

I don't know that the amount of tissue has any effect of metastasis rate though.

I wasn't sure whether that was the reason, either.  If it was, wouldn't small-breasted women have a higher fatality rate?

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
« Reply #1578 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »

Not true, sorry. Cancer metastasizes through lymph nodes, not adipose tissue.

hot_shaker

• Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #1579 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

I wasn't sure whether that was the reason, either.  If it was, wouldn't small-breasted women have a higher fatality rate?

To the best of my knowledge, the aggressiveness of a cancer (i.e., speed of growth, rate and frequency of metastasis) is determined by the genetic profile of the cancerous cells. 

If anything I would imagine having less breast tissue would make a tumor easier to detect which makes the high mortality rate of men even more tragic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #1580 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
Starchasm that's so sad.  :(
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #1581 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »

You're right!  Sorry, I shouldn't post and watch movies.  ;D

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #1582 on: November 04, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

I agree. In my religion it is a sin to deny anyone water, so I don't get it either.

Montell Williams (old talk show host) had it. That's how I learned men could get it.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
  • No, I'm not her.
« Reply #1583 on: November 04, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »
Didn't the drummer of Led Zepplin just get diagnosed with it?

No, Peter Criss from KISS.  :)

Dindrane

« Reply #1584 on: November 04, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »
It's kind of like skin cancer (particularly melanoma) in light-skinned people vs. dark-skinned people.

I'm pale as pale can be, with a history of skin cancer on both sides of my family, so I'm already pretty aware of all the various signs of skin cancer.  I monitor my skin for suspicious moles fairly closely for someone who is only 24 and doesn't spend much time out in the sun.  So if I ever did get skin cancer, chances of me catching it early are very good.

But if someone who has darker skin were to get skin cancer, particularly melanoma (which can metastasize), they might not even realize they're at risk for it.  Generally speaking, someone with dark skin is far less likely to get skin cancer than someone with light skin...but that doesn't mean they can't.  It's really horribly sad, because people with dark skin who get melanoma are far less likely to catch it early, and thus are far more likely to die from it.

Dogface

« Reply #1585 on: November 04, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
I haven't had too many impossible requests, but there are a few that stick out in my mind.

<background> So I work at a gym at the front desk and have been since I was in high school. If you're in town for a day or so and just want a one day workout, it costs $10. We also don't have a cash register; all cash we get goes into a locked safe in the back (I can't open it; there's a slot in the top where you can shove money in, but since I don't have the key, I can't get anything out). Because of this, we have no way of giving change if we receive cash. I have no idea why we don't have a cash register. We've needed one for years and years and we still don't seem to be any closer to getting one. </background>

So a few years ago, when I was in high school, there was this guy who would always come in and pay for a one-day workout on Sunday when I worked. And every single week he would try to pay with a $100 bill. The first time it happened was understandable since there's no way he would've known. I told him we didn't have a cash register and couldn't give change but he could try getting change from the business next door. He did, so he paid and worked out. But this kept happening, about 5 or 6 times. And every time I would explain to him that we couldn't give change. He'd go get change from another business, pay, and work out. Only to come in with a $100 bill the next week. *headdesk*

This next one happened to my mom, who worked the same position I did at my job on different days. Evidently she got a call from somebody wanting to know the racial makeup of the gym's members. :o She said that the gym didn't have that information and the guy hung up. She thinks it might've been a prank, but you never know...

I wonder if he was trying to pass counterfeit money. 

I don't know, but it's certainly a possibility. I hope that's not the case, but you never know.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #1586 on: November 05, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
Don't you know that exposing a boy to the color pink will make him into a girl? He will start to ovulate and everything! True story!  >:D

My house key has one of those Hello Kitty key covers on it (similar to these: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/thing?id=874511).  My son, who is almost 8, will stand in the rain rather than use my key to unlock the house and get inside where it's warm and dry.  He will also not use any of the pencils on my desk because, again, they have Hello Kitty on them.  I've been known to point out that Hello Kitty will not, in fact, turn him into a girl.

PeterM

« Reply #1587 on: November 05, 2009, 02:02:20 AM »
My house key has one of those Hello Kitty key covers on it (similar to these: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/thing?id=874511).  My son, who is almost 8, will stand in the rain rather than use my key to unlock the house and get inside where it's warm and dry.  He will also not use any of the pencils on my desk because, again, they have Hello Kitty on them.  I've been known to point out that Hello Kitty will not, in fact, turn him into a girl.

I'm gonna have to see the medical studies before I'll take your word for it.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #1588 on: November 05, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »

I'm gonna have to see the medical studies before I'll take your word for it.

Nothing to add but I find that really funny. ;D 8)
Stewart/Colbert '16

whylime13

« Reply #1589 on: November 05, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »
Don't you know that exposing a boy to the color pink will make him into a girl? He will start to ovulate and everything! True story!  >:D

This could be quite useful for your car keys when he is 16... or you know if you had some particularly good snacks you wanted to keep for yourself - slap a hello kitty sticker on it and its safe.  So many uses for Hello Kitty that I never considered.