News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1509863 times)

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1665 on: November 10, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »
When I took my son to the eye doctor a woman in the waiting room asked my why I let such a young kid wear colored contact lenses. I told her that he wasnt and she would not believe me! The reason? His eyes are emerald green, and she said it wasn't genetically possible for a boy to have green eyes. She kept going on and on about how it was "just like calico cats" and I was lying to her.  ::) Trust me, the kid really does have green eyes.

I can vouch for you, my my husband's nephew has the same colour eyes. LOL!
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Yvaine

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1666 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »
When I took my son to the eye doctor a woman in the waiting room asked my why I let such a young kid wear colored contact lenses. I told her that he wasnt and she would not believe me! The reason? His eyes are emerald green, and she said it wasn't genetically possible for a boy to have green eyes. She kept going on and on about how it was "just like calico cats" and I was lying to her.  ::) Trust me, the kid really does have green eyes.

I have a male friend with gorgeous green eyes...

There's a famous writer who gave one of her characters vivid green eyes, and it's supposed to show that he's not all human. Every time I read about this character, I always chuckle to myself that my friend, myself, and my mom all are apparently paranormal beings. ;)

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #1667 on: November 10, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »
I just wonder what the woman tells herself every time she comes across a male with green eyes. Does the think they're all wearing lenses?
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

wendelenn

« Reply #1668 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »

There's a famous writer who gave one of her characters vivid green eyes, and it's supposed to show that he's not all human. Every time I read about this character, I always chuckle to myself that my friend, myself, and my mom all are apparently paranormal beings. ;)

Or young wizards (or young wizards' mothers)  :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

RosieRiveter

« Reply #1669 on: November 10, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »

My husband will be very interested to find out that he is not male, then.  At least he already knows he's not a calico cat.

RosieRiveter

« Reply #1670 on: November 10, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

I find this especially ironic as colored contacts are so much easier to handle, so if i was going to get a young kid contacts, id rather the eye color change and not loose them.

Seriously!  I wear colored contacts and clear ones about equally - I have green eyes today, actually! But my clear ones are basically impossible to see in the case, and if you drop them, they disappear wherever they land.

I used to have very pale blue tinted contacts, just for visibility, but even those were hard to find if you dropped them, the color were still really sheer.

Yvaine

« Reply #1671 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

Or young wizards (or young wizards' mothers)  :)

Heehee! I hadn't even thought of Harry, which is quite silly of me, given the title of the thread!

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #1672 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »

Heehee! I hadn't even thought of Harry, which is quite silly of me, given the title of the thread!

Annnnnd we bring it full circle!   ;)

Meanwhile, my dad and brother will be very surprised to learn they have the wrong eye color ...

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #1673 on: November 10, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
I knew there was a reason I liked you all!  We're genetic mutants!  LOLOL  (Well...those who are males with green eyes anyway.  I'm a green eyed female, so of course, I'm practically perfect in every way.  Yeah, right!  Me'n Mary Poppins!  NOT!)

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #1674 on: November 10, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

My husband will be very interested to find out that he is not male, then.  At least he already knows he's not a calico cat.

Are you quite certain he's not a calico cat?  They're very sneaky you know.  ;)
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1675 on: November 10, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
Let me add my story about strange customer requests to change time and space...or at least Day Light Savings Time.

Send him to Canada then. We're just chock-full of temporal oddities.

Example #1: the community of Creston, BC. In a local referendum many years ago, the town opted out of DST.
The town happens to sit not far from the boundary between Pacific Standard and Mountain Standard Time.
So when PST becomes PDT, Creston does not change their clocks.

Instead, the highway sign indicating "Your are now entereing xxxx time zone" is moved from one side of the city to the other. (Well, they don't actually move the sign. The signs are permanent, they just uncover the relevant one.)

Example #2: Lloydminster SK/AB - a provincial boundary runs through the middle of town.
Alberta has DST, Saskatchewan does not.
Fortunately, the entire city abides by AB. But for half the year, a business just outside town will not have the same time as one half a block away.
Makes appointments very interesting for the locals!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Craftyone

« Reply #1676 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:49 PM »
Well, I am an oddity.  My eyes look darkish green when I'm not tired and smokey blue when I am.  My parents and brother all have lightish to middish blue eyes and darker hair and I've got the lightest hair (before I started dying it) with a natural white blonde streak at the front, on one side.  And my youngest aunty's daughter looks like me more than her mother (my husband even mistook a picture of her when she was younger for me and wondered why my aunty had a picture of me sitting on prominent display).  Genetics are very strange.

Back on topic, the city I work in (in Australia) has a Target (same name but not affiliated with the American brand). Like a lot of places the staff tend to wear black, and I do too for work (makes life easier with mixing and matching) like a lot of girls I know.  So there's been times that I've been mistaken for staff, and I'm happy to point the person in the right direction if I know where the section is but do say that I'm not staff.  One day I was asked and had to say sorry I don't know and I'm not staff, he swore at me that I was lying and just being lazy, I kept walking and I could still hear him cussing to himself, presumably about unhelpful staff.

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #1677 on: November 10, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »
Back on topic, the city I work in (in Australia) has a Target (same name but not affiliated with the American brand). Like a lot of places the staff tend to wear black, and I do too for work (makes life easier with mixing and matching) like a lot of girls I know.  So there's been times that I've been mistaken for staff, and I'm happy to point the person in the right direction if I know where the section is but do say that I'm not staff.  One day I was asked and had to say sorry I don't know and I'm not staff, he swore at me that I was lying and just being lazy, I kept walking and I could still hear him cussing to himself, presumably about unhelpful staff.

I was in a U.S. Target and was very puzzled when a woman asked me where a product was - until I glanced down and realized I was wearing the same bright red shirt that the staff members wear.  (Luckily, this woman just laughed at her mistake.)

RosieRiveter

« Reply #1678 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »

Are you quite certain he's not a calico cat?  They're very sneaky you know.  ;)

Well, he does like taking naps, and food that comes in cans, and he is sort of fuzzy....I've been lied to!!!

SkyTalon

« Reply #1679 on: November 10, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
Back on topic, the city I work in (in Australia) has a Target (same name but not affiliated with the American brand). Like a lot of places the staff tend to wear black, and I do too for work (makes life easier with mixing and matching) like a lot of girls I know.  So there's been times that I've been mistaken for staff, and I'm happy to point the person in the right direction if I know where the section is but do say that I'm not staff.  One day I was asked and had to say sorry I don't know and I'm not staff, he swore at me that I was lying and just being lazy, I kept walking and I could still hear him cussing to himself, presumably about unhelpful staff.

I was in a U.S. Target and was very puzzled when a woman asked me where a product was - until I glanced down and realized I was wearing the same bright red shirt that the staff members wear.  (Luckily, this woman just laughed at her mistake.)

The best when this happens is when they complain to management in front of you. I dunno, it tends to be funny as anything to me.

What's worse/funnier is when you're mistaken at a place that 1) doesnt have a uniform and 2) have headphones on.
This drill will open a hole in the universe!
And that hole will be a path for those behind us!
The dreams of those who've fallen!
The hopes of those who'll follow!
Those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix!
Drilling a path towards tomorrow!