News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 11:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1509036 times)

foxglove

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1680 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:51 AM »
she said it wasn't genetically possible for a boy to have green eyes. She kept going on and on about how it was "just like calico cats" and I was lying to her. 

A study in iceland where almost 90% of the population has blue or green eyes showed that green eyes are much more frequent among women than men - although some men certainly did have green eyes! That's probably where she got that idea. Calico cats are about X chromosome inactivation patterns and that's nothing to do with (human) males having green eyes.

And back on topic... long ago now, I was a tech who happened to get in her inbox the job of sending someone's smartphone away to be repaired. And no, I couldn't change the laws of physics and teleport it to the repairer (and move it to the front of their repair queue) because you need it back noooow. Why do people think whining at the tech who has neither control or influence over a remote 3rd party who we don't even deal with (except now 'cause you have to have a different techy-toy and didn't go though us to get one) think it will get them a miracle?

Corbin

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #1681 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
When I took my son to the eye doctor a woman in the waiting room asked my why I let such a young kid wear colored contact lenses. I told her that he wasnt and she would not believe me! The reason? His eyes are emerald green, and she said it wasn't genetically possible for a boy to have green eyes. She kept going on and on about how it was "just like calico cats" and I was lying to her.  ::) Trust me, the kid really does have green eyes.

I have a male friend with gorgeous green eyes...

There's a famous writer who gave one of her characters vivid green eyes, and it's supposed to show that he's not all human. Every time I read about this character, I always chuckle to myself that my friend, myself, and my mom all are apparently paranormal beings. ;)

Or young wizards (or young wizards' mothers)  :)
Well, he did get em from me, and a friend of ours describes them as "Harry Potter Green"! Although Ian was crushed when he didn't get an acceptance letter from Hogwarts...
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Namárië

« Reply #1682 on: November 11, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
Back on topic, the city I work in (in Australia) has a Target (same name but not affiliated with the American brand). Like a lot of places the staff tend to wear black, and I do too for work (makes life easier with mixing and matching) like a lot of girls I know.  So there's been times that I've been mistaken for staff, and I'm happy to point the person in the right direction if I know where the section is but do say that I'm not staff.  One day I was asked and had to say sorry I don't know and I'm not staff, he swore at me that I was lying and just being lazy, I kept walking and I could still hear him cussing to himself, presumably about unhelpful staff.

I was in a U.S. Target and was very puzzled when a woman asked me where a product was - until I glanced down and realized I was wearing the same bright red shirt that the staff members wear.  (Luckily, this woman just laughed at her mistake.)

The best when this happens is when they complain to management in front of you. I dunno, it tends to be funny as anything to me.

What's worse/funnier is when you're mistaken at a place that 1) doesnt have a uniform and 2) have headphones on.

Once, a fellow customer cussed me out at the supermarket for being an unhelpful employee. I was wearing a big winter coat and scarf, and had a basket of groceries. The best part is that I told her where what she was looking for probably was. (I was right, too!)

ETA: This is a place where the uniform is bright yellow or bright purple polo shirts, too!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Danismom

« Reply #1683 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

Men can get breast cancer, too.

I had no idea men could get it too. You learn something new everyday!

Oh, yes, men can get breast cancer.  It's nowhere near as common; in close to 20 years of doing medical transcription I've typed summaries on maybe a half dozen men with breast cancer.  One man came from a family where the females had a nasty breast cancer history, so he was being taken quite seriously. 

If people come with it, they can get cancer in it.  I know that I can never get prostate cancer, for instance, but my husband could get breast cancer.

I seem to recall that Male Breast Cancer is somewhat different from female breast cancer.  Something about the estrogen.  Women who have BC or perhaps a particular kind of BC sometimes get their ovaries removed as the ovaries produce estrogen which at least some types of BC feed on.  Help...any medical professionals out there that can shed some light on this?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1684 on: November 11, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »

Men can get breast cancer, too.

I had no idea men could get it too. You learn something new everyday!

Oh, yes, men can get breast cancer.  It's nowhere near as common; in close to 20 years of doing medical transcription I've typed summaries on maybe a half dozen men with breast cancer.  One man came from a family where the females had a nasty breast cancer history, so he was being taken quite seriously. 

If people come with it, they can get cancer in it.  I know that I can never get prostate cancer, for instance, but my husband could get breast cancer.

I seem to recall that Male Breast Cancer is somewhat different from female breast cancer.  Something about the estrogen.  Women who have BC or perhaps a particular kind of BC sometimes get their ovaries removed as the ovaries produce estrogen which at least some types of BC feed on.  Help...any medical professionals out there that can shed some light on this?
I thought that the ovary removal might rather have something to do with certain breast cancer genes also predisposing a woman to ovarian cancer as well.

*google*
http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/ovary_removal.jsp
Nope, you're right. It's preventative for breast cancer.

"Because estrogen makes hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers grow, reducing the amount of estrogen in the body or blocking its action can help shrink hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers and reduce the risk of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers coming back (recurring)."

<3

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #1685 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
Back on topic, the city I work in (in Australia) has a Target (same name but not affiliated with the American brand). Like a lot of places the staff tend to wear black, and I do too for work (makes life easier with mixing and matching) like a lot of girls I know.  So there's been times that I've been mistaken for staff, and I'm happy to point the person in the right direction if I know where the section is but do say that I'm not staff.  One day I was asked and had to say sorry I don't know and I'm not staff, he swore at me that I was lying and just being lazy, I kept walking and I could still hear him cussing to himself, presumably about unhelpful staff.

I was in a U.S. Target and was very puzzled when a woman asked me where a product was - until I glanced down and realized I was wearing the same bright red shirt that the staff members wear.  (Luckily, this woman just laughed at her mistake.)
Once I was in a Meijer store--this was long, long ago when staff wore red polos, and when they had just started to also wear teal polos (nowadays they have gotten rid of the red and teal and wear deep blue polos). I was wearing an aqua polo shirt, and had no idea that they had added teal shirts as a uniform color. I was also 14 years old (Meijer only hires people 18 or older). Someone came up and started asking questions and since I was minding my own business and wasn't wearing what I thought appeared to be a uniform I completely ignored the person, causing her to sharply ask me if I worked there. I was absolutely bewildered, especially since I never saw a teal-shirted worker until two weeks later. (This was small-town Ohio. The only thing for a teenager to do after the mall closed was to hang around Meijer.) After I realized it I figured out that since the teal color was new it was easy for someone to mistake my aqua polo shirt for a uniform.

Yvaine

« Reply #1686 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
When I took my son to the eye doctor a woman in the waiting room asked my why I let such a young kid wear colored contact lenses. I told her that he wasnt and she would not believe me! The reason? His eyes are emerald green, and she said it wasn't genetically possible for a boy to have green eyes. She kept going on and on about how it was "just like calico cats" and I was lying to her.  ::) Trust me, the kid really does have green eyes.

There's a famous writer who gave one of her characters vivid green eyes, and it's supposed to show that he's not all human. Every time I read about this character, I always chuckle to myself that my friend, myself, and my mom all are apparently paranormal beings. ;)

Well, he did get em from me, and a friend of ours describes them as "Harry Potter Green"! Although Ian was crushed when he didn't get an acceptance letter from Hogwarts...

I'm still convinced mine was lost on the mail.  ;D

extranormal

« Reply #1687 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »

How many eleventh birthdays have been ruined by the absence of an owl, I wonder. I can tell you it was a dark, dark day in our house when no letter was forthcoming.

Corbin

« Reply #1688 on: November 12, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »

How many eleventh birthdays have been ruined by the absence of an owl, I wonder. I can tell you it was a dark, dark day in our house when no letter was forthcoming.

I still have one crushed child yet to comfort, as my DD is only 7. Sigh!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

KitFox

« Reply #1689 on: November 13, 2009, 09:17:15 AM »
I've got one from yesterday: my boss was the Impossible Patron.
Boss is utterly computer illiterate. He doesn't know how to submit orders correctly online. After failing to submit his order and refusing to let me help him, he got frustrated and called tech support for . He then tried to submit his order through tech support. Tech support for the wrong company. He called our internet provider. And then he wanted to give the order to the tech support guy and have HIM call in the order. Eventually he gave up on that, but said to the tech "if you're not going to help me with this, then at least you can find the right number for me." Yep...he made the tech find him the number for the company he was trying to order from.
So then he calls that company and gets bounced around. The tech had found the general number, so there was transferring of calls, because boss originally told the phone operator/receptionist that he needed help with the website, and then when he got tech support, he tried to put in an order, then he finally gets transferred to the ordering people and tells the person that he's been trying to do this order for an hour now, and he wants a 10% discount off the order for his trouble! (I don't think he got it. I'm pretty sure a 'lowly' tech doesn't have that authority.)
He also made the order-taker walk him through the web ordering process! But of course, he wasn't even AT his computer. So after finishing the order, he walks back over to his laptop, has to log back in, get reconnected to the network, goes back to their website and then he allows the order-taker to continue. The order-taker apparently tried to transfer him, because he said "no, I'm not going to sit on hold again. You can just go ahead and walk me through it. You should know how to do this."
After all that, a few minutes later I heard him laugh and say "oh, I see what's wrong. I entered my credit card in wrong!"

I could just *see* the person on the other end of the line hanging up and headdesking.

heathert

« Reply #1690 on: November 13, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I've got one from yesterday: my boss was the Impossible Patron.
Boss is utterly computer illiterate. He doesn't know how to submit orders correctly online. After failing to submit his order and refusing to let me help him, he got frustrated and called tech support for . He then tried to submit his order through tech support. Tech support for the wrong company. He called our internet provider. And then he wanted to give the order to the tech support guy and have HIM call in the order. Eventually he gave up on that, but said to the tech "if you're not going to help me with this, then at least you can find the right number for me." Yep...he made the tech find him the number for the company he was trying to order from.
So then he calls that company and gets bounced around. The tech had found the general number, so there was transferring of calls, because boss originally told the phone operator/receptionist that he needed help with the website, and then when he got tech support, he tried to put in an order, then he finally gets transferred to the ordering people and tells the person that he's been trying to do this order for an hour now, and he wants a 10% discount off the order for his trouble! (I don't think he got it. I'm pretty sure a 'lowly' tech doesn't have that authority.)
He also made the order-taker walk him through the web ordering process! But of course, he wasn't even AT his computer. So after finishing the order, he walks back over to his laptop, has to log back in, get reconnected to the network, goes back to their website and then he allows the order-taker to continue. The order-taker apparently tried to transfer him, because he said "no, I'm not going to sit on hold again. You can just go ahead and walk me through it. You should know how to do this."
After all that, a few minutes later I heard him laugh and say "oh, I see what's wrong. I entered my credit card in wrong!"

I could just *see* the person on the other end of the line hanging up and headdesking.

And people wonder why CSRs are so stressed out.  ::)

Sirius

« Reply #1691 on: November 15, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
I try to always be polite to CSRs, because it's not their fault that I got the wrong whatever or I got this letter saying whatever, but I have talked to CSRs who plainly didn't know what they were doing.  I once got a call from a drug company CSR who told me I'd have to pay a $500+ co-pay before I got a drug that my doctor had prescribed.  I went in circles with this person for almost a month until I finally called the doctor's office manager, told her what was happening, and asked her what to do.  She hit the ceiling, and told me that drug rep CSR had no business calling patients directly.  She called the drug company, and from what I gather did some roof-raising, and I got the drug I needed for only my regular co-pay.  Apparently the original CSR had gotten it into her head that I was being prescribed the drug for a different reason than what I told her, a reason that was only covered partially by my insurance, and no amount of explanation on my part would change her mind. 

Twik

« Reply #1692 on: November 16, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »
Apparently the original CSR had gotten it into her head that I was being prescribed the drug for a different reason than what I told her, a reason that was only covered partially by my insurance, and no amount of explanation on my part would change her mind. 

Oh, that can be *so* frustrating - when you know they don't "get" what you're telling them, and they're so sure they're right, they won't listen.

Like the tech support guy who insisted on me unhooking my (working until a few minutes ago) wireless setup, because it wasn't "standard", even though, later in the call, he mentioned casually that "all servers are down in your area".  ::) Yeah, perhaps that explained why his "standard" setup didn't work either.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Jocelyn

« Reply #1693 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
My mother has very pale blonde hair. Apparently it looks just like the effect you are after if you use "Magic Silver White" on your hair, except it came that way. Once, her new hairdresser refused to believe it 

I have an aunt who had one streak of white hair in her otherwise dark brown hair, over her right eye. She had her stylist arrange her hair so that the streak swirled around, and it was very striking. One day at the salon, another customer asked her how they did that, and my aunt explained that the streak was natural, they just styled the hair to emphasize it. The other woman got very huffy and said, 'Welll, if you're not going to tell me, you could just say so!'

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1694 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »
Like the tech support guy who insisted on me unhooking my (working until a few minutes ago) wireless setup, because it wasn't "standard", even though, later in the call, he mentioned casually that "all servers are down in your area".  ::) Yeah, perhaps that explained why his "standard" setup didn't work either.

Or like the tech who insisted that I go through the old power-cycle routine (you know, modem, router, computer -- or maybe it was computer, modem, router -- or was it router, modem, computer?)  Except that I had said: "I'm able to ping the first node on the other side of my modem, but tracert is failing at the gateway between your net and Level3."  I had to repeat that multiple times before he checked and found that, yes, one of their gateways to the backbone network was down.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.