Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 609633 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
This was for film cameras, right?  Because with a digital photo, you can change the aspect ratio to do that.  Of course, that distorts the picture a bit, so they'd probably scream about that.

Did anyone ever ask you to take away bits of the picture so that they could see something that the bits hid?  I heard a story once about a photo studio that was brought a picture of a cow being milked; cow in the foreground, and the man manually milking her was just visible as a pair of legs behind her.  The customer wanted the cow taken away, so that she would have a picture of the man.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

otterwoman

I worked in the photo finishing business for a dozen years. One of the worst customers was a self proclaimed "Professional Photogragher". He came in with a 8x12 photo and wanted a copy for a cliet. I asked him for the negative.

"Oh, I can't find it." Huh? What professional doesn't have his negatives?

Okay, I can copy it, but our photograph copier only makes 8x10 photos. I can send out your 8x12 for a better copy.

"No. I don't want it to leave the store."

Okay, you're going to lose 2 inches of photo. I led him to the machine and tried to set up the copy the best I could. He would see the preview come up on the screen and complain that it was missing the ends. After 8 tries, each time I'm explaining that he WILL lose the ends, I let him set up the photo on his own. When he was ready to print, I AGAIN explained that he would not be getting the entire 8x12 on his 8x10 copy. I also told him NO REFUNDS!

He gave the okay, seemed happy, paid and left.

One week later...he was back. And mad. The copy didn't have all the image and he wanted his money back. I told him no. He yelled. I reminded him of our conversation, that he set up the copy, and okayed it. He called me a liar. I threw him out.

He came back with a Mall Security Officer. The officer asked him to stay outside while the officer talked to me. The officer asked me what was up with "that jerk". I started to tell him, then "that jerk" came in the store. The officer asked him to step back outside. He refused. I finally looked at him and said, "If I give you your money back, you never NEVER come into my store again." He agreed. I gave him back his $10. The officer told him that if jerk ever came into the store again, he would be arrested for trespassing.

But wait...there's more!!

The next day, I got a call from our home office. Jerk had called to complain about me. Not that I had throw him out forever. Not that he was threatened with arrest. Nope, he was complaining because he had entered some (bad) photos in our company's photo contest and he hadn't been called yet to tell him he'd won. Customer service wanted to make sure I had really entered his photos. Yes, I had.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Did anyone ever ask you to take away bits of the picture so that they could see something that the bits hid?  I heard a story once about a photo studio that was brought a picture of a cow being milked; cow in the foreground, and the man manually milking her was just visible as a pair of legs behind her.  The customer wanted the cow taken away, so that she would have a picture of the man.

I had a friend who worked in a photo studio, and had a client came in who wanted my friend to add a person to the photo.  My friend thought he meant that he wanted the person Photoshopped into the photo, and told him that he can't do Photoshop at the store, but if the client knew anyone with Photoshop or something similar, he could add the person in and bring in the modified photo to be printed.  No, that was not what the client wanted.  He wanted my friend to add his friend to the photo, but not using a computer.  He said my friend just needed to print the photo again with his friend in it.  Nothing my friend said convinced the client that what he was asking was impossible, and the client left irate and complained to the store manager.  The store manager was shaking with laughter when he told my friend about the complaint. 

LazyDaisy

I do a lot of Photoshop work and I've had people ask me to remove something from a photo and think that what was behind it will appear -- um no, but I can clone some of the surrounding background into the spot most of the time, depends on the busy-ness of the background and how big the area that needs to be removed. My favorite requests are for using a horizontal photo on a magazine cover. Forget about cropping an inch on each side, half the photo will be cropped. At least in Photoshop I can add sky/wall/grass/carpet/curtain to a horizontal photo to match the correct ratio so a 4x6 can be an 8x10 without cropping anyone out or having a blank space. But a horizontal to a vertical? Only very rarely will that work and it'll usually look odd.

I've also had requests to "turn them around so they face the camera."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
This was for film cameras, right?  Because with a digital photo, you can change the aspect ratio to do that.  Of course, that distorts the picture a bit, so they'd probably scream about that.

I mentioned something like that in another thread, where I was talking about a picture of my uncle with a camera in front of his face.  At least I know that if we moved the camera all that would be there would be a camera-shaped hole and not his face.  Besides, I think a picture of my great-grandfather milking a cow would be cool, especially if it was just a cow and a pair of legs; it'd be a great eccentric family portrait.  (I have pictures of my great-grandfather, and in all of them he's scowling, even his wedding picture to my great-grandmother.) 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!

That's the very epitome of a Harry Potter request, because in HP, you can just tell the front people to get out of the way and they'll move so you can see the people behind them!  ;D ;D ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
He had responded. Or rather, his email provider had responded, with a form letter explaining that the gentleman I had dared to email was not willing to accept emails from just anyone. No, he had standards, and if I wanted him to respond I had to hie myself to the provided link with hat in hand and give a darned good reason why the gentleman should condescend to grace me with a reply. I'm willing to concede the remote possibility that the actual email contained slightly less scorn, but you get the gist.

People sign up with these email providers because they provide a way to weed out most of the spam that comes in.   No offense, but it has nothing to do with you, his friends and family members have to do the same thing.  I have several friends and family members who have a 3rd party spam filter that requires you to fill out a short form to verify that you are an actual person they know.  I don't take it personally and It only takes a few seconds to complete.

It took more than a few seconds this time, due to some problems with the site. But I do understand your point. The thing is, though, if you're deliberately emailing someone and asking for a response, I think it's on you to proactively add that email address to your approved list. As I said, if this had been a personal communication I would've just ignored it and not bothered to do what was necessary to get my reply through. Since it was work, I jumped through the hoops. But I still think it's ridiculous, and I'd like to see whatever evidence exists that this significantly cuts down on spam.

I refuse to complete the questionnaire to get on the approved list with the one email provider I know of that does that. Worse, I have students complete our online interest cards to receive emails of interest to them, who use that particular provider. I know they will not actually receive the emails, but I can't change anything!

What do you mean? If you completed the short questionnaire, they could receive the emails they are requesting.  You do know that you don't have to actually tell the truth on those things.

In your personal life you absolutely don't have to deal with these types of providers, but this is your job and those students who are interested are helping to pay for the schools expenses..no?  Why would you deliberately do something that deprives potential students of information?

I have between 600 and 1000 students a month using this process. On the card, we specifically request the student use their current institution email address to avoid these and similar issues. I do not have time to complete questionnaires (in addition to different email accounts being used depending on the answers the students give) with my other responsibilities. These are students desiring to come to our school, and it is their responsibility to provide accurate information.

We are having issues with students entering their own information incorrectly on our application for admission as well. They get mad when correcting the bad info is not a quick or easy process.

elephantschild

I had a friend who worked in a photo studio, and had a client came in who wanted my friend to add a person to the photo.  My friend thought he meant that he wanted the person Photoshopped into the photo, and told him that he can't do Photoshop at the store, but if the client knew anyone with Photoshop or something similar, he could add the person in and bring in the modified photo to be printed.  No, that was not what the client wanted.  He wanted my friend to add his friend to the photo, but not using a computer.  He said my friend just needed to print the photo again with his friend in it.  Nothing my friend said convinced the client that what he was asking was impossible, and the client left irate and complained to the store manager.  The store manager was shaking with laughter when he told my friend about the complaint.

At the paper, we've had people submit a photo for our community section, then send over another one and demand we "put the two together" so the person in photo No. 2 is with the group of people in photo No. 1.

Uh, no, can't do that. Technically, it's possible, but it's unethical for journalistic purposes.

We recently had a Major Big Event happen in our neck of the woods, but the deadline was such that it was problematic to get a photo of said event to run in the next edition without bending the usual deadline drastically. One of the ad people, after the fact, was all annoyed because, "Why didn't we just get a photo of (background) and a photo of (practice run of thing happening) and put them together?" Then we'd meet deadline with no silly time considerations.

He became quite hostile when he tried complaining to me about it and I informed him that was quite unethical. Just couldn't understand why it would be an issue.  ::)

Of course, this is the same fellow was tried castigating us for writing stories that protrayed local business owners in a negative light. (As in, so-and-so got busted for a DWI. You know, news.) Didn't we know we were making his job of selling ads more difficult???  >:(  But that one probably belongs in the brain-hurty thread.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

At the paper, we've had people submit a photo for our community section, then send over another one and demand we "put the two together" so the person in photo No. 2 is with the group of people in photo No. 1.

Uh, no, can't do that. Technically, it's possible, but it's unethical for journalistic purposes.

We recently had a Major Big Event happen in our neck of the woods, but the deadline was such that it was problematic to get a photo of said event to run in the next edition without bending the usual deadline drastically. One of the ad people, after the fact, was all annoyed because, "Why didn't we just get a photo of (background) and a photo of (practice run of thing happening) and put them together?" Then we'd meet deadline with no silly time considerations.

He became quite hostile when he tried complaining to me about it and I informed him that was quite unethical. Just couldn't understand why it would be an issue.  ::)

Of course, this is the same fellow was tried castigating us for writing stories that protrayed local business owners in a negative light. (As in, so-and-so got busted for a DWI. You know, news.) Didn't we know we were making his job of selling ads more difficult???  >:(  But that one probably belongs in the brain-hurty thread.

nudge nudge..wink wink..:D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Funny to see all these other photofinishing stories, because I've seen it all!! A few more:

1) A woman who was taking some pictures for real estate purposes came in all angry about the black specks in the sky and on top of the houses. She wanted the photos re-done. I pointed out that the black specks were birds. She replied, in an accusatory tone: "It's winter. There are no birds in the winter." Actually, I was in university at the time taking various biology/ecology courses and the very day before, I had been out with fellow students doing an ecological survey which included counting birds. My reply was, "Actually, there are a number of bird species that stay around all year." (You didn't need to be a biology student to know this; all you had to do was occasionally look around you and see your surroundings, ie robins, starlings, crows, etc everywhere). She stormed off in a huff and probably complained to head office about the black specks in her photos.

2) Someone had obviously run a film through their camera twice. So one set of pictures included family shots, kids, vacation, etc. Superimposed on the film were pictures of a naked woman. A woman picked up the film and was kicking up a fuss accusing us of superimposing someone else's images on top of her family photos. We assured her that we didn't have the capability of doing that even if we tried. She swore up and down that she didn't know the naked woman in the superimposed photos (which were on the negatives). Finally my coworker asked her, "Well have you checked with other members of your family?" A look of shock came over her, and she said, "Oh. I had better check with my husband." And she walked off.

It wasn't the only time that some customer got angry with us over a double exposed roll of film, and seemed to think someone else's images had somehow floated through the photofinishing chemicals and landed on their film.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
It wasn't the only time that some customer got angry with us over a double exposed roll of film, and seemed to think someone else's images had somehow floated through the photofinishing chemicals and landed on their film.
Maybe they thought that you were supposed to wash/wipe down the machines between customers, to clean off the previous customer's pictures?  Gives a new meaning to "dirty pictures," doesn't it? ;D

My mother managed to get a double exposure with a Polaroid photo. No idea how, but it's either that or between the time she raised the camera to her eye and the time she took the picture, my brother grew multiple new feet and then reabsorbed them as soon as the picture was done.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:17:50 AM by Elfmama »
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

MissRose

The clerk at the local gas station told me this one as he said he had an interesting night that falls under the Harry Potter category and Special Snowflakes: one woman came in, and wanted to buy cigarettes.  State law says something if you appear to be a certain age or under, you will be carded & asked for id.  She said to the clerk: I have my husband's id *roll eyes*, I don't have mine.  He didn't sell her the stuff, and she even had the nerve to complain about the price difference between our state and hers for a pack of cigarettes (price difference is about $3), like the clerk was going to do anything about it!.

helixa

Slightly OT but the talk about removing things from photos to see what's behind them reminded me of the creepy Sapphire & Steel episodes about the faceless person lurking somewhere in every photo.. that programme still gives me the shivers  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
At some point, I probably would have lost it and said "Ma'am"...waited for silence and then proceeded very slowly..."She is dead.  She died.  She is no longer alive.  She. Is. Dead."
I'd be tempted to respond, "Well, I believe she's still in CrestView cemetary, plot #1234. You could try her there."

She wouldn't voom if you put four million volts through her. She's bleeding demised. Bereft of life! She rests in peace!
She is no more. She has ceased to be. She has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. She is an EX-EMPLOYEE!

No, no she's resting.

I guess I'd better get a replacement, then!  Sorry, we've run all out of ex-employees.  I've got a slug!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BarensMom

At some point, I probably would have lost it and said "Ma'am"...waited for silence and then proceeded very slowly..."She is dead.  She died.  She is no longer alive.  She. Is. Dead."
I'd be tempted to respond, "Well, I believe she's still in CrestView cemetary, plot #1234. You could try her there."

She wouldn't voom if you put four million volts through her. She's bleeding demised. Bereft of life! She rests in peace!
She is no more. She has ceased to be. She has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. She is an EX-EMPLOYEE!

No, no she's resting.

I guess I'd better get a replacement, then!  Sorry, we've run all out of ex-employees.  I've got a slug!

This reminded me of what happened at my first job.  I worked for a small mail-order company run by a woman named "Jane."  Jane passed away suddenly while away on business, and it was during this time, a coworker and I had the following customer exchange (I was training):

Coworker:  "Company Name, may I take your order?"  (coworker was on the order line.)
Customer:  "I want to talk to Jane."  (We had been told not to reveal Jane's death, BTW.)
Coworker:  "I'm sorry, Jane is unavailable. This is the order line - do you want to place an order?"
Customer:  "No I want to talk to Jane.  Could you tell her this is (name)?"
Coworker:  "I'm sorry sir, as I've said before, Jane is unavailable.  May I take a message for our manager and have her return your call?"
Customer:  "I want to speak to Jane, NOW!  Don't give me that crap, I know she's there."
Coworker:  "Sir, Jane is not on site.  Please call our manager at the main number, which is..."
Customer:  "I don't want your manager, I want to speak to Jane." He adds a few (bleeps).
Coworker:  (Turning red) "Jane is deceased."
Customer:  "Can I leave a message for her, then?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:31:20 AM by BarensMom »