A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)

<< < (524/683) > >>

mmswm:

--- Quote from: Mediancat on January 22, 2013, 11:37:01 AM ---Cami: I've gotten an audible eyeroll, though, when I say, "Hold on while I get the pen," when what I mean is, "Hold on a second until I pick it up." I understand getting annoyed if the person takes more than a couple of seconds, but in most cases I'm not actually holding the pen in my hand while I make the call.

Rob

--- End quote ---

And then there's the pen curse I'm afflicted with.  You see, I can go through all the trouble of finding a pen and making sure it works, but for whatever reason, as soon as the person starts to give me the needed information, the pen stops working or explodes in spectacular fashion.  This happens with frightening regularity.

heartmug:

--- Quote from: mmswm on January 22, 2013, 12:13:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mediancat on January 22, 2013, 11:37:01 AM ---Cami: I've gotten an audible eyeroll, though, when I say, "Hold on while I get the pen," when what I mean is, "Hold on a second until I pick it up." I understand getting annoyed if the person takes more than a couple of seconds, but in most cases I'm not actually holding the pen in my hand while I make the call.

Rob

--- End quote ---

And then there's the pen curse I'm afflicted with.  You see, I can go through all the trouble of finding a pen and making sure it works, but for whatever reason, as soon as the person starts to give me the needed information, the pen stops working or explodes in spectacular fashion.  This happens with frightening regularity.

--- End quote ---

That used to happen to me a lot so much so when my kids were little I would have a crayon near the phone to write down messages with.

BabylonSister:

--- Quote from: heartmug on January 22, 2013, 12:17:57 PM ---

Rob

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That used to happen to me a lot so much so when my kids were little I would have a crayon near the phone to write down messages with.

--- End quote ---

My mom used to tie the pen with a length of yarn to the phone table.

mmswm:

--- Quote from: heartmug on January 22, 2013, 12:17:57 PM ---

Rob

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I should do this.  I still have one kid little enough to have crayons around.

Yarnspinner:
It happened again.

I've written about the patrons who want their own gmail/yahoo/aol accounts.  But they want US to sign them up, create their user ID and passwords and then, the next time they come in, they will ask us to log them in because they, of course, don't have to remember their ID and password; WE'LL remember it for them.

Today brought a new wrinkle to the proceedings.  A man was in with two women, one in her thirties the other in her twenties.  Neither one spoke English or anything close to it.   He wanted ME to sit down and create emails for them and explain to them how it was done. 

Sorry, I can speak some French and Spanish and even a little Japanese, but I do not know nor will I likely ever know how to speak Pakistani.  He, of course, KNEW how to create the accounts, but was quite up front about not feeling like it.  Even though he speaks the language. 

One of my (much younger and more patient) coworkers took over trying to show them what to do.  It has been two hours and they still don't have even their passwords created.  Younger and more patient coworker is looking waaaaay older and has become a lot snappier in the last two hours as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version