A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)

<< < (525/718) > >>

Yarnspinner:
And another one today....

Dear Sir,

However much you may wish it, the book you requested about Calypso Music and insisted it would be found in the 500s (natural sciences) is NOT about calypso music but about "the" Calypso--Jacques Cousteau's vessel.  My advice would be NOT to listen to "some guy who told you this is the book about music" and maybe listen to the librarian who can actually find what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, I guess he thought I was being mean or condescending when I explained WHY a book about Jacques Cousteau was NOT going to be about calypso music.  He said he would be back when "the guy" was here.

This is frustrating because it means one of my own coworkers told him the wrong book to request.

Elisabunny:

--- Quote from: Yarnspinner on February 07, 2013, 02:36:39 PM ---And another one today....

Dear Sir,

However much you may wish it, the book you requested about Calypso Music and insisted it would be found in the 500s (natural sciences) is NOT about calypso music but about "the" Calypso--Jacques Cousteau's vessel.  My advice would be NOT to listen to "some guy who told you this is the book about music" and maybe listen to the librarian who can actually find what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, I guess he thought I was being mean or condescending when I explained WHY a book about Jacques Cousteau was NOT going to be about calypso music.  He said he would be back when "the guy" was here.

This is frustrating because it means one of my own coworkers told him the wrong book to request.

--- End quote ---

And no, the song about the Calypso does not count as Calypso Music.

PeterM:
Our librarian encountered what I can only hope was a once in a career request yesterday.

She was asked to provide a book that proves the world is round. Seems the patron thought the Shuttle disaster was a cover-up to keep the mission from discovering it's really flat. Why the patron waited ten (or twenty-seven?) years to look into this, or what she thought all the other hundred-plus shuttle missions were up to, were not part of the reference interview. Pity.

Needless to say, this was not actually an impossible request, but it also wasn't as simple as you might think. Leaving aside the patron's skepticism, my library doesn't stock Basic Knowledge For Basic Nitwits. The vast majority of books assume a certain minimum level of knowledge. The librarian managed to satisfy the patron, though, at least for the moment.

Seriously, though, a Flat-Earther. In Oregon. In 2013. I am simultaneously proud and ashamed to be an American.

Kaymyth:

--- Quote from: PeterM on March 17, 2013, 12:16:28 AM ---Our librarian encountered what I can only hope was a once in a career request yesterday.

She was asked to provide a book that proves the world is round. Seems the patron thought the Shuttle disaster was a cover-up to keep the mission from discovering it's really flat. Why the patron waited ten (or twenty-seven?) years to look into this, or what she thought all the other hundred-plus shuttle missions were up to, were not part of the reference interview. Pity.

Needless to say, this was not actually an impossible request, but it also wasn't as simple as you might think. Leaving aside the patron's skepticism, my library doesn't stock Basic Knowledge For Basic Nitwits. The vast majority of books assume a certain minimum level of knowledge. The librarian managed to satisfy the patron, though, at least for the moment.

Seriously, though, a Flat-Earther. In Oregon. In 2013. I am simultaneously proud and ashamed to be an American.

--- End quote ---

They have their own webpage and forum.  There are actually a few entertaining reads in there in terms of ridiculously convoluted conspiracy theories and utterly daffy "science".

Yarnspinner:

--- Quote from: PeterM on March 17, 2013, 12:16:28 AM ---Our librarian encountered what I can only hope was a once in a career request yesterday.

--- End quote ---

Peter, I think you win for this month.  And somehow, given what I have heard from other friends who have lived on and off in Oregon, I'm not even blinking in surprise!  Maybe we can get the flat earther together with my patron who continues to use speeches out of context to prove that a) America was actually a Utopia prior to 1929 and b) FDR and his band of merry men orchestrated the Stock Market Crash to discredit Herbert Hoover.
I think they could be best friends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version