A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)

<< < (525/906) > >>

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: PeterM on March 16, 2013, 11:16:28 PM ---Our librarian encountered what I can only hope was a once in a career request yesterday.

She was asked to provide a book that proves the world is round. Seems the patron thought the Shuttle disaster was a cover-up to keep the mission from discovering it's really flat. Why the patron waited ten (or twenty-seven?) years to look into this, or what she thought all the other hundred-plus shuttle missions were up to, were not part of the reference interview. Pity.

Needless to say, this was not actually an impossible request, but it also wasn't as simple as you might think. Leaving aside the patron's skepticism, my library doesn't stock Basic Knowledge For Basic Nitwits. The vast majority of books assume a certain minimum level of knowledge. The librarian managed to satisfy the patron, though, at least for the moment.

Seriously, though, a Flat-Earther. In Oregon. In 2013. I am simultaneously proud and ashamed to be an American.

--- End quote ---

Google is both wonderful and terrifying all at the same time.  I believe this needs to go into the brain hurty thread for sure.

mbbored:
In the class I'm TAing, the students have been assigned to do a critique of a recent scientific journal article.

One student emailed me to say that she didn't feel she could adequately critique the paper's statistical section since they only cited one textbook. Could I email the authors, ask them to do further literature research and pass any additional information they provide me on to her by tomorrow morning?

bloo:

--- Quote from: mbbored on March 17, 2013, 08:28:55 PM ---In the class I'm TAing, the students have been assigned to do a critique of a recent scientific journal article.

One student emailed me to say that she didn't feel she could adequately critique the paper's statistical section since they only cited one textbook. Could I email the authors, ask them to do further literature research and pass any additional information they provide me on to her by tomorrow morning?

--- End quote ---

I'm dying to know how you replied to Her Royal Highness?

mbbored:

--- Quote from: bloo on March 17, 2013, 08:32:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: mbbored on March 17, 2013, 08:28:55 PM ---In the class I'm TAing, the students have been assigned to do a critique of a recent scientific journal article.

--- End quote ---

I'm dying to know how you replied to Her Royal Highness?

--- End quote ---

I didn't. I set a policy that I can't guarantee an answer to an email sent after 5 o'clock and any email response on the weekend would be hit or miss.

Jocelyn:
That's another thing- I'm always amazed by students emailing me in the middle of the night, or on weekends, wanting a response before the next working day. Just because you're up at 1 am doesn't mean I am!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version