A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)

<< < (575/683) > >>

o_gal:

--- Quote from: bloo on August 21, 2013, 09:39:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Goosey on August 21, 2013, 08:31:53 AM ---I think this is kind of right here...

I work with over 200 people. I've only ever talked to a few of them on the phone and never with any regularity. So why, when they call me, do they say, "Do you know who this is?" No, dude, I don't. Because I've never talked to you over the phone before. You must give me more detail.

--- End quote ---

One of a few pet peeves of mine is people who don't identify themselves when calling. I always do it, even for my family (especially now since my teen DD and I apparently have the same voice over the phone). It would make the calls go so much faster if people would just skip the guessing game.

--- End quote ---

And sometimes it can backfire on them spectacularly. When I was in college, my Mom worked as the secretary at our church. She is fantastic at recognizing people by voice over the phone - they could just call up and start speaking to her and she'd know who they were without them having to say "this is XXX". Me, not so much but everyone assumed I had the same talent. I developed a standard response of "this is her daughter, you should probably call her at the church."

One morning I'm home and get a phone call from a woman who just started talking and telling me that "Dotty died". We had more than one woman at church who went by the knickname, so I did my standard spiel of "I'm sorry, I don't recognize your voice, why don't you just call my Mom at church?" But the caller was insistent that I recognize that "Dotty died! ... Dotty! ... DOTTY!". I kept telling her that I didn't recognize her voice, I didn't know who "Dotty" was, and could she please just call Mom at the church? Until in anger, she said "It's your Aunt XXX and your GRANDFATHER died!" - "Daddy" has come across as "Dotty". She apologized later and said that she wasn't thinking when I kept telling her that I didn't recognize her voice, and that she didn't want to call my Mom at the church, for whatever reason that I can't remember right now  ::)

ladyknight1:
For seven years, I have been answering emails about a particular program from students. I received such an email from our front office yesterday then responded as usual. Later, I was speaking with my boss and I told her I had responded to that email, so if she was copied not to worry about it. She was incensed. Doesn't the front office know that I am not to get these emails any more? She had informed them of a new procedure early this week!

Only, I didn't know about the new procedure.  ::) She never thought to tell me! It is all for a good reason, I have new duties that are taking a great deal of my time and we have other staff who can answer those emails.

MissRose:
I still can't get over the customers who want us to disclose sensitive details on their accounts without answering the security questions first.  Some say I call here a lot, but still I am NOT getting in trouble even if I recognize voice!

Reika:

--- Quote from: MissRose on September 05, 2013, 03:16:06 PM ---I still can't get over the customers who want us to disclose sensitive details on their accounts without answering the security questions first.  Some say I call here a lot, but still I am NOT getting in trouble even if I recognize voice!

--- End quote ---

I work for a supplemental health insurance company so unfortunately my call center ends up dealing with the agents in addition to our customers. The agents take it as a personal insult that they have to verify who they are before we disclose any information to them. Sure, you may be "Bob Smith" from Sarasota, we still need you to prove it. Even if we were limited to just the state of Florida (which we're not, we're in all 50 states plus all of the American Territories) that's still at least a thousand agents. We need them to prove who they are so we know we can disclose confidential information to them.

StuffedGrapeLeaves:

--- Quote from: Reika on September 05, 2013, 04:11:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: MissRose on September 05, 2013, 03:16:06 PM ---I still can't get over the customers who want us to disclose sensitive details on their accounts without answering the security questions first.  Some say I call here a lot, but still I am NOT getting in trouble even if I recognize voice!

--- End quote ---

I work for a supplemental health insurance company so unfortunately my call center ends up dealing with the agents in addition to our customers. The agents take it as a personal insult that they have to verify who they are before we disclose any information to them. Sure, you may be "Bob Smith" from Sarasota, we still need you to prove it. Even if we were limited to just the state of Florida (which we're not, we're in all 50 states plus all of the American Territories) that's still at least a thousand agents. We need them to prove who they are so we know we can disclose confidential information to them.

--- End quote ---

This reminds me of the time when I had to call my insurance company for some information.  Even after answering the security questions correctly, the CSR refused to give me the information because she said that my name was a man's name, so it couldn't really have been me.  She also refused to transfer me to a supervisor.  Fortunately she had identified herself with her name upfront, so I hung up, called back, and got another CSR.  I asked for the supervisor and reported the first CSR.  The supervisor apologized and said that she would look into the situation.  I wonder what they did with that CSR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version