Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689967 times)

ti_ax

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2880 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46:49 PM »
I once needed some info about an account in DW's name. The CS rep wouldn't talk to me, so I had teenage DD call and say her name was DW's name.  8)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2881 on: September 14, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
I think this is kind of right here...

I work with over 200 people. I've only ever talked to a few of them on the phone and never with any regularity. So why, when they call me, do they say, "Do you know who this is?" No, dude, I don't. Because I've never talked to you over the phone before. You must give me more detail.

One of a few pet peeves of mine is people who don't identify themselves when calling. I always do it, even for my family (especially now since my teen DD and I apparently have the same voice over the phone). It would make the calls go so much faster if people would just skip the guessing game.

Oh geeze... for a short period my mom and i seemed to share a phone voice.  Enough so that my poor stepfather informed me he "wanted to do" something he most certainly did NOT want to do. (To me at least.)   :-[

He, to the day he died, turned beet red if anyone brought it up. (I thought it was hilarious. :D I did cut him off before he got to specific with "Umm, Pop... This is Kim you know." There was a long silence then. "I need to talk to your mother... and you need to start answering phones with your name.")
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2882 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »

I work with over 200 people. I've only ever talked to a few of them on the phone and never with any regularity. So why, when they call me, do they say, "Do you know who this is?" No, dude, I don't. Because I've never talked to you over the phone before. You must give me more detail.

One of a few pet peeves of mine is people who don't identify themselves when calling. I always do it, even for my family (especially now since my teen DD and I apparently have the same voice over the phone). It would make the calls go so much faster if people would just skip the guessing game.

Oh geeze... for a short period my mom and i seemed to share a phone voice.  Enough so that my poor stepfather informed me he "wanted to do" something he most certainly did NOT want to do. (To me at least.)   :-[

He, to the day he died, turned beet red if anyone brought it up. (I thought it was hilarious. :D I did cut him off before he got to specific with "Umm, Pop... This is Kim you know." There was a long silence then. "I need to talk to your mother... and you need to start answering phones with your name.")
I had that happen with an old boss...it didn't help that his wife and I sounded exactly the same on the phone, we also had the same first name.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2883 on: September 15, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
I was ticket tearer last night at the theater. Part of the duties with that also involve answering the phone for the theater and answering people's questions about what movies are playing and at what time. However, there were a couple odd calls last night.

1.) Ma'am, I am only a lowly ticket - tearer tonight at the theater. I don't know what other stores are in the mall other than the ones I can see from my ticket box. So, no, I can't tell you if there is a T-Mobile store in the mall, because I can't see it. And, no, I'm not going to go leave the job I'm paid to do to go roam around the mall, looking for a store which may or may not exist and is close to closing time at this point (And there isn't one anyway, which someone could have found out from the online directory of stores in the mall or calling the mall customer service phone line, NOT the number for the blasted movie theater).

2.) Sir, I'm sorry you're upset that I'm not an automated service to tell you movie showings and times. However, I can still tell you those things and, even better, respond to what you are saying! Wait...you're still irritated that you have to talk to a living person? Okay, I'll just turn myself into Hel the Robot from Metropolis. *headdesk*
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2884 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
A long time ago I worked for a restaurant that was a very popular spot for high school and college students to come after games, parties, etc.  The night of graduation I received a call from a parent asking me to page their child.  The child wasn't at our restaurant, and their parent asked me if I knew where their child was.  No, I didn't. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2885 on: September 15, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
A long time ago I worked for a restaurant that was a very popular spot for high school and college students to come after games, parties, etc.  The night of graduation I received a call from a parent asking me to page their child.  The child wasn't at our restaurant, and their parent asked me if I knew where their child was.  No, I didn't. 

The Mom might not have meant to ask you More like They aren't there were are they thought process said out loud.

My sister tried to pull that. They arranged a sleep over at our house. Another Mom dropped them off at Pappy's (hamburger place). Mom knew they were up to something and had sis paged - neighbor with same name came to the phone. Said SIs and others had been there but left in a taxi. MOm searched Sis's room found map. Dad went to keg party location on map just in time to see Sis and friends jump in a car and leave. He followed the car -sis knew the game was up had driver pull over. Village or Hedwick cop breaking up party sees this comes over. Decides sis and friends are in more trouble with Dad than with the law (technically he doesn't have anything on them because they were not on the property of the illegal party and haven't had anything to drink.  ) Sis was grounded (Technically she still may be), one or two of the other girls were grounded. The other "parents" were mad at Mom and Dad for spoiling the kids' fun.

HOnestly my parents must have been magical they called the cops on so many keg parties that they never knew about it was simply amazing. If a car vaguely like my parents drove by the illegal party at anytime before it was busted - my parents had to have called the cops.

Dad was in the beer business and basically refused to sell kegs to any of my classmate's parents unless they could prove it was for Adults only - which they could never do. If they were having an adult party it was catered and they hired someone to tend bar - and that person would buy what they required..
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

suzieQ

« Reply #2886 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »

I had that happen with an old boss...it didn't help that his wife and I sounded exactly the same on the phone, we also had the same first name.

Talk about job security! LOL  :P
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2887 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »

Talk about job security! LOL  :P

It's been years and I no longer work with him, but if anyone brings it up, he turns a lovely shade of maroon.   ;)  For about a year, both me and his wife had to let his secretary know which one of us was actually on the phone.  My place of employment solved this problem by installing phones with caller ID, very useful.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mmswm

« Reply #2888 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
My mother and I used to sound an awful lot alike on the phone and I've had a similar experience with my dad.  Ewwwwww.  I moved to the upper midwest for a couple years and my speech took on a bit of a midwest accent, so I now I sound different enough that it's not a problem anymore.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gingerzing

« Reply #2889 on: September 16, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

2.) Sir, I'm sorry you're upset that I'm not an automated service to tell you movie showings and times. However, I can still tell you those things and, even better, respond to what you are saying! Wait...you're still irritated that you have to talk to a living person? Okay, I'll just turn myself into Hel the Robot from Metropolis. *headdesk*

See I am a bit older and I immediately went to HAL*
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.    And if he continued to be irritated....
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

*2001 A Space Odessey.  (Though I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first came out.  LOL)

MyFamily

« Reply #2890 on: September 16, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.    And if he continued to be irritated....

*2001 A Space Odessey.  (Though I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first came out.  LOL)

And my mind went to Kramer.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

greencat

« Reply #2891 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »
An end user, a senior-level system admin, and I went round and round a few times over the past few weeks.  I'm not 100% sure the user in question didn't commit a little Professional Darwinism today.

You see, he was supposed to update a mailing list that goes out to several thousand people with a new subscriber list.  He sent in a request to have a sysadmin do the replacement instead of doing it manually - this is fairly normal. 

The user sent in the request to have "Pied_Piper" updated.  The sysadmin performed the update, replacing the old list for "Pied_Piper" with a new list of some 4000 names.  I notify the user that the request has been completed.

The user responds, stating that the list is still showing a subscriber count of over 7000.  The sysadmin went back in and verified that yes, he was showing the 4000 name list when he looked at it.  I requested that the user send me a copy of the report showing the 7000 names.  I forwarded the resulting email to the sysadmin, and then we mutually started going "No...he didn't...oh.  oh yes he did."

Yeah, updating the subscriber list for the "Pied_Piper" mailing list does not update the "PiperofHamlin" mailing list.  I didn't have a reply from the user before I left work for the day regarding whether the user had us update the entirely wrong list or if the user was simply checking the wrong list for updates.  Option A might turn out to be Professional Darwinism, as unfortunately, they're not going to be able to restore the original list for "Pied_Piper" from a backup right now due to server maintenance, and these mailing lists reach thousands of people.  I am also not a magical mind reader, capable of knowing that the user really meant to update the "PiperofHamlin" mailing list when they wrote "Pied_Piper."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2892 on: September 16, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »

I just watched Metropolis for the first time that day, so that was fresh in my thoughts. Fortunately, I didn't say it to him, otherwise I'd be posting in the Professional Darwinism thread.  :-[ HAL would be funny though!  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

greencat

« Reply #2893 on: September 16, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »

I just watched Metropolis for the first time that day, so that was fresh in my thoughts. Fortunately, I didn't say it to him, otherwise I'd be posting in the Professional Darwinism thread.  :-[ HAL would be funny though!  :P

The only thing that gets me through the many repeats of the same thing I do every day (not scripted - just common problems) is pretending that I'm a robot.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2894 on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
An end user, a senior-level system admin, and I went round and round a few times over the past few weeks.  I'm not 100% sure the user in question didn't commit a little Professional Darwinism today.

You see, he was supposed to update a mailing list that goes out to several thousand people with a new subscriber list.  He sent in a request to have a sysadmin do the replacement instead of doing it manually - this is fairly normal. 

The user sent in the request to have "Pied_Piper" updated.  The sysadmin performed the update, replacing the old list for "Pied_Piper" with a new list of some 4000 names.  I notify the user that the request has been completed.

The user responds, stating that the list is still showing a subscriber count of over 7000.  The sysadmin went back in and verified that yes, he was showing the 4000 name list when he looked at it.  I requested that the user send me a copy of the report showing the 7000 names.  I forwarded the resulting email to the sysadmin, and then we mutually started going "No...he didn't...oh.  oh yes he did."

Yeah, updating the subscriber list for the "Pied_Piper" mailing list does not update the "PiperofHamlin" mailing list.  I didn't have a reply from the user before I left work for the day regarding whether the user had us update the entirely wrong list or if the user was simply checking the wrong list for updates.  Option A might turn out to be Professional Darwinism, as unfortunately, they're not going to be able to restore the original list for "Pied_Piper" from a backup right now due to server maintenance, and these mailing lists reach thousands of people.  I am also not a magical mind reader, capable of knowing that the user really meant to update the "PiperofHamlin" mailing list when they wrote "Pied_Piper."

ruh roh...