Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 675448 times)

cwm

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2895 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »

2.) Sir, I'm sorry you're upset that I'm not an automated service to tell you movie showings and times. However, I can still tell you those things and, even better, respond to what you are saying! Wait...you're still irritated that you have to talk to a living person? Okay, I'll just turn myself into Hel the Robot from Metropolis. *headdesk*

See I am a bit older and I immediately went to HAL*
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.    And if he continued to be irritated....
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

*2001 A Space Odessey.  (Though I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first came out.  LOL)

But...Metropolis...1927? How would being older (even if not old enough to have seen 2001) take you to HAL and not Hel?

Though personally I would have started channeling my inner C-3PO. He had just enough sass to be fun.

Library Dragon

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2896 on: September 17, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

2.) Sir, I'm sorry you're upset that I'm not an automated service to tell you movie showings and times. However, I can still tell you those things and, even better, respond to what you are saying! Wait...you're still irritated that you have to talk to a living person? Okay, I'll just turn myself into Hel the Robot from Metropolis. *headdesk*

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.    And if he continued to be irritated....

*2001 A Space Odessey.  (Though I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first came out.  LOL)

But...Metropolis...1927? How would being older (even if not old enough to have seen 2001) take you to HAL and not Hel?

Though personally I would have started channeling my inner C-3PO. He had just enough sass to be fun.

Thanks.  I was feeling in a time warp there.  I thought maybe the Fritz Lang film had been so displaced by the anime version that it was thought of as being "later." 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

BarensMom

« Reply #2897 on: September 17, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
I don't know about channeling Hel - her purpose was to trash Maria's reputation and cause revolt among the workers.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2898 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
I don't know about channeling Hel - her purpose was to trash Maria's reputation and cause revolt among the workers.

While winking ferociously.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #2899 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

Thanks.  I was feeling in a time warp there.  I thought maybe the Fritz Lang film had been so displaced by the anime version that it was thought of as being "later."

There was an anime version? Well, I guess I just learned something new today.

Keep in mind, I've never actually seen Metropolis, but it's legend in my family.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2900 on: September 17, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

It had been a long day and she was the only robot I could think of.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gingerzing

« Reply #2901 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking of a graphic novel (which isn't even close in title as Metropolis.... I just hadn't enough caffeine when I answered.  Duh on me.  LOL)  No anime  that I know of.  But wouldn't that be cool?

Back to your regularly scheduled impossible requests.  While I track down some additional coffee.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:39:11 PM by gingerzing »

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #2902 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking of a graphic novel (which isn't even close in title as Metropolis.... I just hadn't enough caffeine when I answered.  Duh on me.  LOL)  No anime  that I know of.  But wouldn't that be cool?

Back to your regularly scheduled impossible requests.  While I track down some additional coffee.

There is an [link=http://www.amazon.com/Metropolis-Toshio-Furukawa/dp/B00005V4XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379443733&sr=8-1&keywords=metropolis+anime]Anime.[/link] I have seen it but haven't seen the original so I can't compare.

BB-VA

« Reply #2903 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Metropolis has been remastered a couple of times, recently with "lost" footage that was discovered in Brazil.  The most recent was in 2010, and there was also the "disco" version in 1984.  So it is possible to have seen a "newer" version of Metropolis than one of 2001.

Maria looked a lot cooler than HAL (and she was sort of an ancestor to C3PO, in appearance anyway).  We have a Maria model on the mantel.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Library Dragon

« Reply #2904 on: September 17, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »

There was an anime version? Well, I guess I just learned something new today.

Keep in mind, I've never actually seen Metropolis, but it's legend in my family.

And a musical in London. DH and I tried to attend.  The show starred Brian Blessed.  We didn't make it through the whole show--The machinery broke  ::)  We laughed all night over the irony.

Petticoats

« Reply #2905 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
<snipping Metropolis quote tree>

And a musical in London. DH and I tried to attend.  The show starred Brian Blessed.  We didn't make it through the whole show--The machinery broke  ::)  We laughed all night over the irony.

Oh, I'm so envious. I'm a big Metropolis fan, and I would have loved to see a stage version, however unsuccessful. I hope Blessed played the foreman. (Probably he had a bigger role, being a name actor, but he would be *awesome* as the foreman.)

Back to impossible requests... well, I guess this is just more of an unreasonable one. I'm an editor at a publishing house. When I told a first-time author (I get a lot of those, sigh) that we'd have to cull some of her photos to fit the book's page count and asked her to flag those that were dispensable, she asked, "Can't you just lay out the book with all of them and then I'll decide which ones to cut?"

Oh, sure. Laying an entire book out twice is completely in line with our schedule and budget. <head+desk>

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2906 on: September 17, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
Metropolis has been remastered a couple of times, recently with "lost" footage that was discovered in Brazil.  The most recent was in 2010, and there was also the "disco" version in 1984.  So it is possible to have seen a "newer" version of Metropolis than one of 2001.

Maria looked a lot cooler than HAL (and she was sort of an ancestor to C3PO, in appearance anyway).  We have a Maria model on the mantel.
Actually, it was found in Argentina. As a former exchange student to Argentina, it stuck with me.  ;D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

BB-VA

« Reply #2907 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »

Actually, it was found in Argentina. As a former exchange student to Argentina, it stuck with me.  ;D

Many apologies for the geographical error!!!!    :-[  (at least I got the right continent and hemisphere)

My husband is the one who is the real fan.  I forget how many copies we have - at least one  copied from broadcast, a public domain copy, the Moroder "disco" version, and the latest "recovered" copy. 

I don't know if I should mention the anime version or not...   
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Library Dragon

« Reply #2908 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
<snipping Metropolis quote tree>

Oh, I'm so envious. I'm a big Metropolis fan, and I would have loved to see a stage version, however unsuccessful. I hope Blessed played the foreman. (Probably he had a bigger role, being a name actor, but he would be *awesome* as the foreman.)

He played John Freeman (Joh Fredersen).  The theater sent Blessed out to break the news because he so was charming in the delivery.

ON TOPIC

Sorry, I cannot rearrange the open hours this weekend because procrastinating college student is late completing an assignment--due this Thursday.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:55:25 PM by Library Dragon »

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #2909 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
*sigh* got one tonight. Posted on FB that I was making a sweater for one of my dolls and showed pics of the (human) pattern. Friend of a friend decided to share with a Bride the pic and then requested that I make five of them, in various sizes, in fall colors for an October wedding. For $25 each. I had made it for myself and it cost $42 in materials and was a couple of months to make. Not happening.