Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 719390 times)

greencat

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2970 on: October 03, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
I think my current job is the first one where I haven't spent a lot of time complaining about my computer - the IT people who support us IT people have told me I'm supposed to get an upgrade, but my computer is actually not obsolete for once. 

We have one person who keeps calling in, who is asking for information about someone else's account that we are legally unable to give out.  We keep telling her this, and she keeps calling.  She seems like she's a few cards short of a deck - and quite frankly, were I the person whose information she keeps requesting, I'd have probably given her false information and moved to another continent. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2971 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
My current computer is reasonable, but did perplex me when I first got it. In the past, I have often been asked to burn CDs of files for various departments. When I got this computer, upon the first request, I attempted to do so, but got nothing but repeated error messages. At first, I thought it was a batch of flawed CDs, but then it hit me. They'd gotten me a computer with a CD drive, but no CD writer.

I'm not sure how much money they saved there, but it is a major nuisance if someone asks, "Hey, could you put these files on a CD for me?" Certainly I was never asked if writing CDs was something I considered important.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2972 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
My current computer is reasonable, but did perplex me when I first got it. In the past, I have often been asked to burn CDs of files for various departments. When I got this computer, upon the first request, I attempted to do so, but got nothing but repeated error messages. At first, I thought it was a batch of flawed CDs, but then it hit me. They'd gotten me a computer with a CD drive, but no CD writer.

I'm not sure how much money they saved there, but it is a major nuisance if someone asks, "Hey, could you put these files on a CD for me?" Certainly I was never asked if writing CDs was something I considered important.

Considering that you can get a DVD burner from NewEgg for a whopping $17 and a DVD-ROM drive for $16, they didn't save much at all.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

figee

« Reply #2973 on: October 03, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
All the IT ones make me think about what I usually have to say to our IT:  "Uh.  I think I might have done something stupid...."  Then there's this big sigh on the other end of the line......

I've been doing various types of IT support, and its rare to hear someone say they messed up or similar.  A good many will blame the IT staff or the company not themselves.

With me its bitter experience - something has been unplugged, plugged in incorrectly, uploaded, downloaded, not uploaded or downloaded, switched off, switched on, turned down (volume) or up (brightness - and the perpetrator has usually been me.  So I work on the assumption that I'm usually the problem.  Sadly, sometimes they are unable to help me though, for instance when I have taken the critical cable home thinking it was my phone charger (which also explained why my phone didn't charge).... 

Hillia

« Reply #2974 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
When I did tech support, the conversations always went like this:

Me: So what were you doing right before it happened?
User:  Nothing!
Me:  *sigh* So after you did nothing, what did you do?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2975 on: October 03, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
The IT posts reminded me of my most recent encounter with the Geek Squad and my newish smart phone.

Hubby & I had stupid phones - no texting and the voicemail didn't always take messages.  So we bit the bullet and bought top of the line new smart phones.  I got the Note II and he got Galaxy 4.  The Note II had so many features and it is larger than the typical cell phone, so my first question to the sales person was "Can I make phone calls with this?"

Fast forward 4 months and I had a problem with my smart phone: I can't make phone calls.  I could enter a telephone number, but I could not hear it ring or hear the person speaking.  I could receive calls, text, email, browse the internet, etc.  In fact, I could do everything but make phone calls.  I thought it would clear up, but after a week of not being able to make phone calls, I decided I needed to see if they could fix it.  I called up the Geek Squad and they explained my options and set up an appointment for me to see a Geek.  The appointment was 4 days away because they said the first thing they would do would be to wipe the phone and reset it to the factory settings, so I should save/backup anything I wanted to keep.  Then they explained that, if the software reboot did not fix the problem, they could order a replacement phone which would arrive in 3-4 (more) days.  Fortunately, all of the above would be at no charge to me.  So it will cost me inconvenience, but no money, to get my phone to work.

My husband and I wrote down a few other issues we needed help with in case we had enough time with the Geek.  We sit down with the Geek and start to describe the problem.  Then I said, "I think it will be quicker to show you."  I speed dial my husband's cell phone (which we had with us) so the Geek could hear his phone ringing while my phone is silent.  But that's not what happened.  My phone worked just fine - no problems.  I could hear his phone ringing on my speaker phone, so we switched the speaker off and could still hear the ringing through my phone.  I looked up at the Geek and said, "I don't know how you fixed it, but thanks."  He asked if I wanted a new phone.  I said "No, it took me too long to set this one up and it's working fine now."

So I went without being able to make phone calls on my "smart phone" for almost 2 weeks, then it worked perfectly when the Geek stood next to it. :-[

Good thing we had other questions so we didn't waste the Geek's time.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

greencat

« Reply #2976 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
The IT posts reminded me of my most recent encounter with the Geek Squad and my newish smart phone.

Hubby & I had stupid phones - no texting and the voicemail didn't always take messages.  So we bit the bullet and bought top of the line new smart phones.  I got the Note II and he got Galaxy 4.  The Note II had so many features and it is larger than the typical cell phone, so my first question to the sales person was "Can I make phone calls with this?"

Fast forward 4 months and I had a problem with my smart phone: I can't make phone calls.  I could enter a telephone number, but I could not hear it ring or hear the person speaking.  I could receive calls, text, email, browse the internet, etc.  In fact, I could do everything but make phone calls.  I thought it would clear up, but after a week of not being able to make phone calls, I decided I needed to see if they could fix it.  I called up the Geek Squad and they explained my options and set up an appointment for me to see a Geek.  The appointment was 4 days away because they said the first thing they would do would be to wipe the phone and reset it to the factory settings, so I should save/backup anything I wanted to keep.  Then they explained that, if the software reboot did not fix the problem, they could order a replacement phone which would arrive in 3-4 (more) days.  Fortunately, all of the above would be at no charge to me.  So it will cost me inconvenience, but no money, to get my phone to work.

My husband and I wrote down a few other issues we needed help with in case we had enough time with the Geek.  We sit down with the Geek and start to describe the problem.  Then I said, "I think it will be quicker to show you."  I speed dial my husband's cell phone (which we had with us) so the Geek could hear his phone ringing while my phone is silent.  But that's not what happened.  My phone worked just fine - no problems.  I could hear his phone ringing on my speaker phone, so we switched the speaker off and could still hear the ringing through my phone.  I looked up at the Geek and said, "I don't know how you fixed it, but thanks."  He asked if I wanted a new phone.  I said "No, it took me too long to set this one up and it's working fine now."

So I went without being able to make phone calls on my "smart phone" for almost 2 weeks, then it worked perfectly when the Geek stood next to it. :-[

My favorite calls at work are the ones when the tech starts magically working as soon as I pick up the phone.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #2977 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »

Hee!  I can just picture it.  The user is sitting next the computer--not touching it, not even looking at it--while reading the newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee.  Out of nowhere, the computer spontaneously combusts.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2978 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

Hee!  I can just picture it.  The user is sitting next the computer--not touching it, not even looking at it--while reading the newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee.  Out of nowhere, the computer spontaneously combusts.  ;D

Any talented artists here? That totally needs to be made into a comic!

otterwoman

« Reply #2979 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »

My favorite calls at work are the ones when the tech starts magically working as soon as I pick up the phone.

I repaired machines for a company. I had one machine that would be broken until I would walk in to fix it. Then it would work fine. After several visits, I gave up and put a picture of me on the machine so it would think I was watching. It worked perfectly after that.

Until the new boss decided that was stupid and took my picture down and threw the picture away. The machine broke down, and it was never able to be fixed. A year or later,the machine was removed, having never be fixed.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2980 on: October 03, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
I used to work at a library, basically as a librarian (but without the degree).  I worked there from when I was 22 until I was 26, so I was fairly young.  Because of this, I had a better grasp on technology, especially computers, than most of the older people who worked there.  This led to my absolute favorite part of the job.  Whenever somebody had a computer or other technology problem, they were supposed to come to me first.  They would explain the problem, I would look at the computer or printer or whatever and try to fix it.  If I *couldn't* fix it, I then called IT and told them what the problem was, what I'd tried to solve it, and what had happened.  IT loved me.  My branch loved me.  It was very nice to be loved.  They would often talk about wishing that other branches would do something similar, as the IT department was always getting called out for PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer) type problems.

The sad thing is, I'm only 33 but I think the latest wave of technology has probably passed me by.  I've been out of the library for long enough that I'd be unfamiliar with their equipment nowadays, and old enough that the younger librarians would probably get it faster than I would.  And I don't have a smartphone nor do I have any clue how to use one, or anything like that.  So if I went back to work at some point, I probably wouldn't get to do my favorite work anymore.  So sad.  I always thought it would be fun to work in IT.  I have pretty good patience for people who don't know how to work a mouse, or copy and paste, or click on the screen.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2981 on: October 04, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »

I repaired machines for a company. I had one machine that would be broken until I would walk in to fix it. Then it would work fine. After several visits, I gave up and put a picture of me on the machine so it would think I was watching. It worked perfectly after that.

Until the new boss decided that was stupid and took my picture down and threw the picture away. The machine broke down, and it was never able to be fixed. A year or later,the machine was removed, having never be fixed.

Our old lawnmower would not start for me at all.  I'd be standing there all manly and frustrated and my wife would walk over and it would start right up for her.  So I started showing it the picture of her I have in my wallet - it would start right up but only if I showed it the picture first.

edit: only has an 'l' in it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:13:25 AM by zyrs »

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #2982 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »

Our old lawnmower would not start for me at all.  I'd be standing there all manly and frustrated and my wife would walk over and it would start right up for her.  So I started showing it the picture of her I have in my wallet - it would start right up but ony of I showed it the picture first.

My co-worker's VPN does that. Five times now, he has been in the process of calling the help desk because he's been trying to connect for more than an hour without success. Literally AS THEY ANSWER, it dials through correctly and the error message disappears.

The one time this didn't work, both of our connections were down. While the poor tech was walking him through troubleshooting, my VPN suddenly connected.....invisibly. The tech could see him, but couldn't connect him. Meanwhile, I was working merrily away, and they couldn't find me in the system at all. I may have been a bit smug about my ninja computer at that.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2983 on: October 04, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Well, actually, they'll do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2984 on: October 04, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
My 7 yr old DD LOVES Junie B. Jones and has for awhile.  She discusses them with me.  I am against banning books across the board, what one person likes I may not, but that is why we can practice self censorship and not dictate our tastes to others.  That said..any Captain Underpants books are banned from my house!  The first time older DD brought one home from school I just about fell over!  I know, any book that gets a child to read, but those books, to me, serve absolutely no purpose!

Well, as a substitute teacher who often works as a librarian, I know what the purpose of these books is: to get nonreading boys to read. And it works! They line up to get the latest books and then I can get them to try the "Wimpy Kid" series. From there it is a short hop books by Riodan...

Off my soapbox, now. :-[

Plus they're hysterical! Both my kids thought they were funny on SO many levels. They loved, loved the bad spelling, bad use of homonyms, etc. They got all the jokes about how stories are structured (w/ the chapter headings, etc.--my fave is the chapter in every books that's titled: "To Make a Long Story Short" and whose substance is, in toto, usu. two words: "It worked." or "They did." or the like).
  And it has fart humor!!!

I adore them.