Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 663714 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3105 on: November 18, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »
The problem there is that the real Cleopatra VII probably rarely, if ever, dressed like Liz Taylor in the 1963 movie. 

Cleopatra VII was Greek and would have dressed like the aristocratic Greek woman she was.  She would have been dressed modestly with a Psyche knot at the back of her head.

Sorry, honey.  She wouldn't have been caught dead wearing a tri-partite wig and a golden headdress of the sort Egyptologists call the 'dead chicken'. 

*snorfle*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3106 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
I doubt that too. She may have been Greek but she was also pharaoh of Egypt and the regalia had ceremonial and religious meanings. Look at things she commissioned, she wears both Greek and Egyptian attire.

Cleopatra was also the only one of her family to speak Egyptian, and that's saying something.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #3107 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
I work as a clerk in a gas station.

Customer: I need 20 bucks worth. *throws 20 on counter*

Me: Do you need gas? What pump are you on?

Customer: I don't know; I didn't look.

Me: ok, what do you drive?

Customer: white car.

Look at the pumps, see several white cars, and proceed to fight urge to beat my head on the counter.

Yup, UK variant here. 

Me: Hi
Customer *throws £20 on counter* : Petrol [Except half the time they mean diesel, not petrol anyway, and the amount isn't quite £20 exactly]
Me: Which pump?
Cust: Out there  [Well, yes, they all are!]
Me: Which car?
Cust: The white [or whichever colour we have more of on the forecourt] one
Etc

I've developed the habit of watching to ensure I know which customer comes from which car, so that I can announce their fuel and total as they walk up to the counter.  Several of our regulars (mainly the taxi drivers) try to turn it into a game, by sneaking in behind other cars so I don't see which pump they pull up at, or flirting with me as they come in the door to put me off!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3108 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
I understand that she was not the daughter of one of the favored wives - so she might have been "trying harder", as it were.  If the Greeks were following Egyptian custom, the first born daughter would have been the one selected as "Throne Daughter" - i.e. whichever of her brothers was selected as heir would have been married off to her to make it clear who the next ruler would be. 

But what they wore depended on if they were working with the Egyptians or the Greeks - because, much like politicians today, they dressed to make their audience members feel that the ruling family was aware of their (political or nationality) faction and would understand them.  The priests were Egyptian and at least some funding was arranged through pharaoh being a god and a ruler - so they had to keep the priesthood happy - so - rituals were done in the appropriate robes and headdresses - dead chickens, cobra head, or plain white linen fillet (ribbon) - such as the Greeks would use.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3109 on: November 18, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
The Memoirs of Cleopatra tv movie is probably the most accurate as what she wore.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3110 on: November 18, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
I doubt that too. She may have been Greek but she was also pharaoh of Egypt and the regalia had ceremonial and religious meanings. Look at things she commissioned, she wears both Greek and Egyptian attire.

Cleopatra was also the only one of her family to speak Egyptian, and that's saying something.

True, she learned some Egyptian but one language she never learned was Latin.  She conversed with Caesar and Marc Antony in Greek. 

We could go on about Cleopatra VII for ages.  Suffice it to say that Ptolemaic Egypt was a very complicated place and, since politics haven't changed much in several millennia, what you see isn't always what you get. 

The lady who wants a costume will be happy with the Liz Taylor view of Cleo.       
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:03:12 PM by Thipu1 »

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3111 on: November 18, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Lol AliciaLynette! I try to see who comes from what car, but it isn't always feasible. We are a prepay only store, so everyone has to pay or their gas before they pump it. I like the cab driver mischief!  ;D

sunnygirl

« Reply #3112 on: November 18, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.
And no one says you have to go to college at 17.

Almost everyone who goes to uni here
does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

Where is here? (Start losing track with so many forum members coming from different countries).

UK (I have a British flag on the lower right of my posts :) )
I have to disagree. I'm British too - I went to university as a mature student and I've found it's pretty common here - at least in London. Every uni I looked at (both for undergrad and postgrad) had a halls (dorm) just for mature and postgrad students and a mature student society, and at UCL where I went about a quarter of all undergrads are mature students.

Personally pretty much everyone I knew went to uni (whether after A Levels or as a mature student) on the government student loan, without parental support, but that's just my experience. At least in the UK student loan repayments are linked to income, so until you get a reasonably well-paying job there is no pressure to start paying it back.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3113 on: November 19, 2013, 03:19:59 AM »
I understand that she was not the daughter of one of the favored wives - so she might have been "trying harder", as it were.  If the Greeks were following Egyptian custom, the first born daughter would have been the one selected as "Throne Daughter" - i.e. whichever of her brothers was selected as heir would have been married off to her to make it clear who the next ruler would be. 

According to the late Barbara Mertz this is an inaccurate idea. One of the reasons they say this? There was no title for that.  Later dynasties did have a title - but that was a title for a ritual priestess which was a hereditary position.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #3114 on: November 19, 2013, 04:39:01 AM »
Snipped
I like the cab driver mischief!  ;D

Yeah, they're really sweet boys mostly.  They claim they prefer me to the other night guy because I'm prettier.  He was a little offended by that at first, until one taxi driver pointed out that surely Ollie didn't want to be flirted with by a bunch of bored taxi drivers in the middle of the night!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3115 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

According to the late Barbara Mertz this is an inaccurate idea. One of the reasons they say this? There was no title for that.  Later dynasties did have a title - but that was a title for a ritual priestess which was a hereditary position.

I'm prepared to believe that an article written an unknown number of years ago but read in college (we'll average that out as about 35 years ago) was not the most up to date with CURRENT Egyptology!

It may also have been a simplification for narrative purposes, as I think that they were explaining why one of the pharaohs who LITERALLY took the throne (no heir of the previous pharaoh survived some war) married one of Pharaoh's surviving sisters (or wives - it's been 35 years) and then married his own oldest daughter as a ritual way to cement his own "legitimacy" as pharaoh.  Because to many non-Egyptians, the marrying your own daughter thing was...well, icky.  The writer did state that the daughter never conceived and it might be that marriage was "in name only" for ritual purposes. 

After three to five thousand or so years and I don't know how many dynasties later, even while pharaohs ruled Egypt, I don't think that it made much of a difference either way.

But there were signs of serious inbreeding in the Egyptian royal dynasties, at times - the heretic king, Ankhnaten (sp?) had several noticeable oddities - and was one of the few who had "natural" portraits made, instead of "perfected" ritual portraits made, which was the custom for thousands of years (something Egyptologists of 35 years ago and today generally agree on - there were brief periods when "natural" or "realistic" schools of art came into fashion but they didn't always last).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3116 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
My library patron wanted a photograph of Cleopatra.  Not a photo of her traditional portrait bust or her portrait on a coin, which was as close as she was going to get.  A photo of ALL of her.  It took a good 20 minutes to snaffle out that she wanted to go to a costume party dressed as Cleopatra.   ::)

Oh, dear. I've had those too. And trying to explain that there were no cameras then gets you sweet nowhere.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3117 on: November 19, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
Barensmom and Momof2weenies, I KNEW I liked you!

With regard to "I need photos of Cleopatra"...I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it's so appropriate now:

1) Head of Children's Services spent several loooong minutes explaining to an adult female that there were no cameras around to take photographs of LIVE dinosaurs.

2)I have received complaints from teen patrons as follows:  "You know, it's really wrong.  You have videotape and DVDs of John Kennedy giving his inaugural address, and tape of FDR giving a lot of his speeches.  Why don't you have videotape of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington giving THEIR speeches?"  Explaining about the invention of videotape sort of post dating Lincoln did not go over well.

wheeitsme

« Reply #3118 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »
My library patron wanted a photograph of Cleopatra.  Not a photo of her traditional portrait bust or her portrait on a coin, which was as close as she was going to get.  A photo of ALL of her.  It took a good 20 minutes to snaffle out that she wanted to go to a costume party dressed as Cleopatra.   ::)

Oh, dear. I've had those too. And trying to explain that there were no cameras then gets you sweet nowhere.

http://www.unshelved.com/2003-8-10

...Moses wore a Dodger's hat.  ;)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3119 on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.

Very possible, and I've seen people with that problem, BUT....  I've known what I wanted to do since I was 8 years old.  I didn't know the HOW at the time, but when I saw my first computer at 8 years old (in 1968, no less!), I knew that I was going to work with them, somehow. 

And I do.   

But I also agree that I was one of the very lucky ones who knew early on.