Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 672737 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3225 on: February 06, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
When we had the first Apples installed into the Learning Center (now Multimedia Center) at school, say late 1980s - early 90s. I was just struggling to use the word processor, make spread sheets, and install the kids' programs, and figure out how to teach all of this after I had only had a 5 hour training session. We had just a monitor, a disc drive, a keyboard, a mouse, a dialup modem, and the computer. We hadn't even dreamed of a scanner or faster modems, among other things.

A young woman came in with her china pattern and wanted us to put it on a grid so she could make a tablecloth in counted cross stitch. It was years before I saw my first ad for a company that does that, and the first thing I thought was about her. My second thought was, "OOOOO! Do I want to do this? How cool!" She was so disappointed, but at least wasn't rude to us.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3226 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
Dear Teen Girl:

Yes, I am aware that in the children's department, they do give you a free guest pass after time on your library card has run out if you need to do homework.  That's why you use the computers in the children's and youth services department: they will give you two more hours free.

We are the adult services department, however, and we charge for the guest pass unless you have a reallllllllly convincing sob story, or the computer cut you off in mid job application, and you are, at minimum, gracious about asking for a free guest pass.

Mumbling the request into your shirt with your head turned away from me, then rolling your eyes, sighing and snapping the words out One. At. A. Time,   "Gimme.  A.  Free.  Guest.  Pass" following up with blowing a bubble of gum and then popping it in my face gets you my most sympathetic smile and the following "I am sorry, but in the adult department we do not give out free guest passes.  These are the rules by which me must abide.  Please check with the children's or teen department for a computer."

You really do not want to know what I am thinking.
...I do :D

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3227 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Dear Teen Girl:

Yes, I am aware that in the children's department, they do give you a free guest pass after time on your library card has run out if you need to do homework.  That's why you use the computers in the children's and youth services department: they will give you two more hours free.

We are the adult services department, however, and we charge for the guest pass unless you have a reallllllllly convincing sob story, or the computer cut you off in mid job application, and you are, at minimum, gracious about asking for a free guest pass.

Mumbling the request into your shirt with your head turned away from me, then rolling your eyes, sighing and snapping the words out One. At. A. Time,   "Gimme.  A.  Free.  Guest.  Pass" following up with blowing a bubble of gum and then popping it in my face gets you my most sympathetic smile and the following "I am sorry, but in the adult department we do not give out free guest passes.  These are the rules by which me must abide.  Please check with the children's or teen department for a computer."

You really do not want to know what I am thinking.
...I do :D

"...so take your eye rolling, mumbling, bubble gum popping self back to the Teen Center where I bet you have used up ALL your time playing Candy Crush Saga and only now realized you needed to do homework, you rude, ill-mannered, little vulgarian, you!"

The same girl was also good enough to belch in my face while I was helping another patron. 

I don't think a jury in the world would convict me....^_^

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3228 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
I work in IT for a warehouse.   Our system allows you to scan cartons into locations.   Basically you scan the carton barcode then scan the location barcode.

Of course people make mistakes.  They'll scan a location barcode but actually put the carton in the location above/below or beside.   Or they'll remove the carton from the location but not scan it out.

One manager requested a report of all cartons that were not in the location the system said they were in.
I would have thought that he meant "a report of all known cartons that were not in the location..." Like during the course of work, if a person went to the shelf the system said it should be on, the person would flag it in the system as it wasn't there. It's difficult to explain but years ago I worked in a giant warehouse facility. We would get an order to pick the parts that included the location in the warehouse (row/shelf). Even if I could see the same part on another shelf I had to mark the one I was sent to pick as "not there" rather than risk picking a part that was recorded in the system for that shelf. They could then run a report on all of the parts that were known to be "not there". When we did a big inventory we could then either "find" missing parts that were mis-shelved or find that items were really disappearing not just migrating around the warehouse. I hope that made sense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3229 on: February 07, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
I had one today.  Got a call from a lady in regards to some charges we'd sent to her insurance company last week (on the 28th).  She wanted to know why they'd been denied.  I look in her account, we haven't received any notification from the insurance company one way or another.  I tell her this.  She says, "Well, I'm looking online right now, and it says it's processing and I know that means it's going to be denied!  I need you to call them and tell them to pay this claim!".  I'm sorry, we need to wait until we receive something from your insurance company, and if it is a denial, then we'll work with them to try and get it paid.  Sending in another claim while the first one is still processing is a great way to get both claims denied.  The lady was very insistent that we needed to take care of this right away, and got really upset when I said we hadn't gotten anything from the insurance company yet.  Then came the impossible request - "You should be checking on every claim you bill every day until a decision is made!  Don't you know how important this is to people?"  We have three offices, and each one sees between 30-70 people per day.  There's no way we could check on every claim from every visit every day!  ::)
Not to mention that there's just no way things are going to get processed any faster just because you check again and again.  (I work in followup on commercial insurance.  Processing means exactly that ... it can come out paid, it can come out approved but the whole thing went to pt deductible, it can come back denied, or a whole slew of other things (or it'd come back with a temp denial because the pt needs to update cob or provide accident details and hasn't done so yet.)  Fortunately, my job has me very rarely talking to patients, and most of my checking is done on various websites.

MissRose

« Reply #3230 on: February 13, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »
We had some issues that caused call volume to spike a great deal then the issue was resolved within a hour.  Of course that did not stop some people from saying things like to fit this category:

*"I waited 30 minutes+ to talk to someone."  If I was calling in and the wait time was at least 10 minutes or more, I would think that was most likely an indication of an issue going on then call back when the wait time was less to ask about it as it is rare to be short handed staff wise.  I understand if some people are told by their bosses to sit and wait for someone but I am sure the people calling in would have wanted to do other things besides wait up to an hour to be told "yes there is an issue, we don't have details on it yet..." I could not say "do not yell or complain to the agents about things they cannot control like the issue that happened or the wait times, they are doing their best to answer calls & log them.."  Trust me (and others) if I had a magic wand to wave to fix things and make the queue disappear, but we don't have one (and did not say that out loud).

*Customers who were asked to try to see if  the issue was resolved when we got emails the issue was resolved & to ask customers to re-test.  Of course some of them had fits when asked to test things after they made the complaint about wait time.  100% of my customers I spoke with who did the requested test noticed things were working again. We understood there was an issue but do not yell at the 1st line agents for something they did not cause and do not have control of at all.

goldilocks

« Reply #3231 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
I work in IT for a warehouse.   Our system allows you to scan cartons into locations.   Basically you scan the carton barcode then scan the location barcode.

Of course people make mistakes.  They'll scan a location barcode but actually put the carton in the location above/below or beside.   Or they'll remove the carton from the location but not scan it out.

One manager requested a report of all cartons that were not in the location the system said they were in.
I would have thought that he meant "a report of all known cartons that were not in the location..." Like during the course of work, if a person went to the shelf the system said it should be on, the person would flag it in the system as it wasn't there. It's difficult to explain but years ago I worked in a giant warehouse facility. We would get an order to pick the parts that included the location in the warehouse (row/shelf). Even if I could see the same part on another shelf I had to mark the one I was sent to pick as "not there" rather than risk picking a part that was recorded in the system for that shelf. They could then run a report on all of the parts that were known to be "not there". When we did a big inventory we could then either "find" missing parts that were mis-shelved or find that items were really disappearing not just migrating around the warehouse. I hope that made sense.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense - but isn't what he wanted!!!  He did finally realize that he was asking for the impossible.

SoCalVal

« Reply #3232 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
I'm not sure where this would fall since it's not exactly an impossible request yet it's not quite a demand for loyalty either.

A little over a year ago, we had four employees (including me) handling a task that has many steps and takes a long time just to do once (four employees were handling it because we often have multiple requests for this task to be done -- at this time, it's about 15-20).  Since then, one person retired (not replaced), one went on sick leave in December and one went on sick leave this month.  While a temp was brought in for the one who went out in December, University policy does not allow her to do a major part of this task because it requires access to an application for which she's not allowed clearance.  Anyway, I am the sole person handling this these steps of the task for 2-3 months (these steps, overall, take about 3-3.5 hrs per request) .  On top of this, the temp was approved to work the same special schedule CW had, which means working 8 9-hour days, 1 8-hour day then being off every other Friday.  The problem is that Temp doesn't work the 9th hour during office hours when she would be needed, she works it when everyone is gone so she has nothing to do.  She also doesn't have the tasks down like CW did so she really is needed to be available everyday.

OTOH, I.am.SWAMPED.  I am so busy that all my work is behind.  I finally determined that I wasn't going to stress myself out trying to get everything done and working from home because management has made such an incredibly stupid decision so, when the main phones are ringing off the hook because I am on the phone trying to cover an emergent situation, I'm just going to let them ring because there are three other individuals who are phone back-up (two of whom are responsible for Temp getting this special schedule).  When I was told Friday that we were out of toner for one of the printers, I said Temp would need to order it on Monday.  Coworker (who gave Temp the idea of having the special schedule) said to me, "It needs to be ordered today."  I told her, "I don't have time to deal with supplies today" (totally true -- it took me, literally, one week just to finally get to review an order I was doing, and I only finally got to it because it was the last possible day I could do it as the order was for the weekend).  I've stayed late (making me cancel other income-earning opportunities in order to accommodate my job), my house is a bigger mess than usual (because I'm exhausted by the time I get home from my regular job) and I've worked from home to try to get caught up.  I've had enough.  I'm ready to argue my points should someone complain to my supervisor about things falling behind (I haven't complained to my supervisor more than expressing concern about the special schedule because I know now is not a good time -- at best, he'll blow me off and, at worst, he'll blow up at ME; however, if someone else should bring it up, I'm ready to present the cause for things being this way).

The toner cartridge request seems like a such a small thing on its own, but there has been one after another of these "small things."  I feel that the others need to feel exactly what happens if the person who handles these things isn't available because they gave her a stupid schedule.  It shouldn't impact my workload (seriously, it would've further pushed back my other work, which no one but me could get done).  I was also at lunch when this request came through so I wasn't paying attention after I gave my "sorry, not going to happen" line; I saw the two individuals responsible for the stupid schedule running around trying to fix the problem.  I'm still pretty mad and just wonder "Really?  Your poor planning should constitute an emergency on MY part???  NOT!"

So, my response to my "impossible" patron request (of magically coming up with time to take care of that which would be taken care of by the Temp if she were working on Friday like she really is needed to be) is "I'm not going to stress myself out and cause detriment to any part of my life anymore because of YOUR poor planning; do it yourself or wait until the Temp is available on Monday."

Katana_Geldar

Been enrolling students into their subjects this week. Students are advised to do their subjects in the right order so they have the prerequisites and knowledge to progress. Sometimes this allows the student to have choices, sometimes this doesn't.

Us course advisors have been instructed on these procedures and not following them can leave a student in an odd situation where they don't have the subjects they need to progress. This means we prioritise what subjects they do as opposed to when they are in the timetable. And as most students are on student visas we have them over a barrel when it comes to priorities: they are in this country to study, everything else comes second.

Students have been coming to me and saying they want to do all their classes on three days or two days, when it really isn't possible. There's classes they need to do, the times when they're on are pretty much set particularly because they have been filling up so it's really in the students best interest to listen to us when we give advice.

Of course some students really think that they are the exception. One new student this morning argued with me that he wasn't interested in what courses he needed to do and walked off in a huff to talk to senior academic staff as if that would make everything magically better. He didn't come back.

But there was another who really took the cake in expecting me, and others, to work miracles. There were six subjects he needed to do, and all three of them were prerequisites for subjects he was going to do in his final term. He said he wanted a two day timetable but the subjects were all on different days. Simple enough and I explained this to him, but somehow it was unacceptable. I explained this to him at least four times, didn't convince him. I then asked him what he wanted of me and he repeated his request for a two day time table. Frustrated, as this should have taken about ten minutes and I had to see other students, I told him that the classes were when they were and that I couldn't magically pull one out of a hat. If he wanted to enrol at all he pretty much had to go with what was suggested. I then shut his folder, told him I couldn't help him and talked to the supervisor, she wasn't feeling the best and went home later that day, when I explained to her the situation she practically screamed at him to get with the program or get out. She told me to take him to see senior academic staff so a male could yell at him the same thing and hope he'd listen. We didn't get that far, he decided not to pursue it, supposedly, and signed for the subjects he needed to do. I went to lunch, thinking the matter resolved.

When I came back the student was at data entry and was there seeing someone for about two hours on and off. When he had gone I asked her what had happened and she says she couldn't get through to him either, she had taken him to see senior academic staff twice before she had gotten rid of him. I still don't know what he expected us to do for him.

shadowfox79

I know your pain, Katana_Geldar. I used to be course admin on a masters course which essentially allowed students to build a degree out of any modules they wanted, provided they could make a timetable out of them. We gave them all the module specs and the timetable so they could pick and choose.

What this generally resulted in was one of two things:

• Student wants to do modules which all clash with each other, and this is somehow my fault.
  • Student wants to do all his subjects in one afternoon a week/on weekends/in the evening, can't, and this is somehow my fault.

No matter how many times I pointed them to the timetable and told them they had to pick modules which were on it and build their own schedule, I would get "But whyyyy can't I do [MBA-only module]? Whyyyy can't they set up a separate class for me that doesn't clash? Whyyyy can't I do all my classes on Tuesday afternoon? THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FLEXIBLE!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Before beginning my career at myschool, I had heard horror stories for years about how necessary capstone or senior year classes weren't available for the final term of someone's undergraduate degree.

After working here for a few years, when I started attending in the undergraduate program, I used this nifty spreadsheet software to plug in classes I needed, when they are offered, and planned out my degree program. I have had to make minor adjustments, but it has worked out well and I haven't had to extend my time in undergrad because of my planning.

Mind you, these resources are available to all students, for free. Free computer usage with the necessary software. Each student can get their customized course plan on their own, then access the schedule for the next year. I would rather spend the few hours on planning than have regrets in the future.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
I managed to fit all my classes into T/Th afternoons one semester.  It was HELLISH.  I had classes pretty much straight through from 11AM to 9PM, with maybe enough time to swing by McDonalds for dinner.  I would say "never again," but it was my final semester anyway  :)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Before beginning my career at myschool, I had heard horror stories for years about how necessary capstone or senior year classes weren't available for the final term of someone's undergraduate degree.

After working here for a few years, when I started attending in the undergraduate program, I used this nifty spreadsheet software to plug in classes I needed, when they are offered, and planned out my degree program. I have had to make minor adjustments, but it has worked out well and I haven't had to extend my time in undergrad because of my planning.

Mind you, these resources are available to all students, for free. Free computer usage with the necessary software. Each student can get their customized course plan on their own, then access the schedule for the next year. I would rather spend the few hours on planning than have regrets in the future.

When I started college they told me that some required classes are only offered one semester a year so to keep that in mind when planning classes so you don't end up there a year longer because you can't move on until you take it.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
But...but...I am special, I am not like all...those...other...students, you see, I am special because (insert whichever tale) so I NEED this NOW on my timetable!!

Katana, have you ever been bribed??  I mean, of course you could change a class of 10-100 people, and arrange rooms and equipment and professor's time, if YOU are paid the right amount, right??

>:D >:D >:D
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person

When I started college they told me that some required classes are only offered one semester a year so to keep that in mind when planning classes so you don't end up there a year longer because you can't move on until you take it.

A good friend of mine got bit very badly by that. The required classes for her degree changed the (spring) semester she was graduating so that she was going to need two more classes (something like six credit hours). The first was only offered in the fall, and it was a prereq for the second, which would only be offered in the spring. She wound up having to graduate with a partial degree, and then working toward the remaining credits while trying to find a job that would take her with only partial accreditation. It was a rough couple of years for her.

Every high school senior I've ever talked to, I've told them to find an ally in the advising department and get some help plotting out classes. The one I found at school might very well have been Hermione! She helped me double up almost a semester's worth of credits, and left a lot of room in my schedule my senior year, which saved me money *and* sanity.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning