Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 661516 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
My university had capstone classes that were only taken fall of your senior year and were required for your degree. The university did not normally offer any evening classes - so all capstone classes were after dinner. It worked out nicely.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Amara

Katana, have you ever been bribed??

Hahahahahahahahaha ...

This question made me laugh out loud as I just remembered that when I was overseeing the EMT skills testing program one student offered me an actual bribe (a whole, fat $10) if I would give him someone else's time slot. ::) I didn't know whether to be insulted or laugh out loud.

camlan

• Super Hero!
When I was an undergrad, there was a certain course that was required for my degree. So the college held that course once every 4 semesters and just threw everyone into that one section.

What this meant was that the course would only be offered twice during the average student's time at the college, and depending on what other courses you needed and prerequisites, you might only be eligible to take it once.

And you had to take this course to graduate.

So one of my classmates decided, the only semester she was eligible to take the course, that she'd rather take an elective, in a completely different department, that was held at the same time as the required course. Because that's what college was all about--exploring things you'd never studied before. All her friends told her not to do this, her adviser told her not to do this.

Guess who was surprised to find out that she could graduate on time, because she had enough credits, just not with a degree in her area of study?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Elisabunny

Before beginning my career at myschool, I had heard horror stories for years about how necessary capstone or senior year classes weren't available for the final term of someone's undergraduate degree.

After working here for a few years, when I started attending in the undergraduate program, I used this nifty spreadsheet software to plug in classes I needed, when they are offered, and planned out my degree program. I have had to make minor adjustments, but it has worked out well and I haven't had to extend my time in undergrad because of my planning.

Mind you, these resources are available to all students, for free. Free computer usage with the necessary software. Each student can get their customized course plan on their own, then access the schedule for the next year. I would rather spend the few hours on planning than have regrets in the future.

When I started college they told me that some required classes are only offered one semester a year so to keep that in mind when planning classes so you don't end up there a year longer because you can't move on until you take it.

A good friend of mine got bit very badly by that. The required classes for her degree changed the (spring) semester she was graduating so that she was going to need two more classes (something like six credit hours). The first was only offered in the fall, and it was a prereq for the second, which would only be offered in the spring. She wound up having to graduate with a partial degree, and then working toward the remaining credits while trying to find a job that would take her with only partial accreditation. It was a rough couple of years for her.

Every high school senior I've ever talked to, I've told them to find an ally in the advising department and get some help plotting out classes. The one I found at school might very well have been Hermione! She helped me double up almost a semester's worth of credits, and left a lot of room in my schedule my senior year, which saved me money *and* sanity.

I'm surprised she wasn't grandfathered in.  The school I went to changed the requirements for my major partway through, but (after major panicking) we learned that all those who had reached a certain level (I was a junior) would be graduated under the old requirements.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Before beginning my career at myschool, I had heard horror stories for years about how necessary capstone or senior year classes weren't available for the final term of someone's undergraduate degree.

After working here for a few years, when I started attending in the undergraduate program, I used this nifty spreadsheet software to plug in classes I needed, when they are offered, and planned out my degree program. I have had to make minor adjustments, but it has worked out well and I haven't had to extend my time in undergrad because of my planning.

Mind you, these resources are available to all students, for free. Free computer usage with the necessary software. Each student can get their customized course plan on their own, then access the schedule for the next year. I would rather spend the few hours on planning than have regrets in the future.

When I started college they told me that some required classes are only offered one semester a year so to keep that in mind when planning classes so you don't end up there a year longer because you can't move on until you take it.

A good friend of mine got bit very badly by that. The required classes for her degree changed the (spring) semester she was graduating so that she was going to need two more classes (something like six credit hours). The first was only offered in the fall, and it was a prereq for the second, which would only be offered in the spring. She wound up having to graduate with a partial degree, and then working toward the remaining credits while trying to find a job that would take her with only partial accreditation. It was a rough couple of years for her.

Every high school senior I've ever talked to, I've told them to find an ally in the advising department and get some help plotting out classes. The one I found at school might very well have been Hermione! She helped me double up almost a semester's worth of credits, and left a lot of room in my schedule my senior year, which saved me money *and* sanity.

I'm surprised she wasn't grandfathered in.  The school I went to changed the requirements for my major partway through, but (after major panicking) we learned that all those who had reached a certain level (I was a junior) would be graduated under the old requirements.

You know, that surprised me too - there might have been something else complicating it that I've forgotten, maybe interstate certification rules, or something similar. It seems like that sort of thing would happen often enough to have some flexibility built into the process, especially for something with as many changing requirements as teaching.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Hillia

This might be an urban legend, but I always heard when I was in college that the published catalog that was in effect when you enrolled was a contract between you and the university as far as degree requirements; nothing could be added or changed once you had declared your major.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CuriousParty

Hilla, that's what I was told by my college during freshman orientation, that the catalog in force at the time of entry would be the requirements you were held to. This was particularly important because my school had a seriously big core requirement, so it was easy to get into your third and fourth year major courses, and forget that you still needed a third ethics course or theology or something.  I also knew I was heading on to further degrees, so I was not going to let the first one take any longer than absolutely necessary. I held onto that catalog all four years, complete with notations in the margins about when I had completed the requirement, the year and semester, the grade and the professor.

Yes, a little neurotic. Still am. But graduated on time!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

I am surprised by that, too. My degree program was restructured a bit while I was there, but it only applied to those who started the program during or after a given semester.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
This might be an urban legend, but I always heard when I was in college that the published catalog that was in effect when you enrolled was a contract between you and the university as far as degree requirements; nothing could be added or changed once you had declared your major.

That is the way it is here. I changed my major in July of 2013, so I am not covered.

Onyx_TKD

I don't know if it's law or by university policy, but I'm pretty sure my undergraduate university explicitly stated that when I first enrolled. I think at some point, one of the administrators in my department specifically pulled up my enrollment year's catalog to answer a question about my requirements.

Dr. F.

On the other side of the problem, a faculty member friend of mine had her class rescheduled to a different room in a completely different building in the middle of the semester, without anyone actually telling her. She found out when she showed up to teach, and there was a sign on the door. When she complained to the administration, it turned out that they had notified all of the students, but apparently assumed the teacher would just know somehow.

Katana_Geldar

No, I've never been bribed and I'd feel obligated to report it if I was. And I don't know what it would do, I still can't make the classes magically appear and I'm only try first step in the process, students need to see payments and data entry after me anyway.

YoginiSaysYes

I just got off the phone and have my first story for this thread!

My company provides a number of different services, and this guy called asking if we could do something for him that is not possible for us. I explained why, and how much time it would take, and he asked if I knew a company that DID provide this service. (Which is a silly pet peeve of mine, why would I know better than you what companies do what you need? WE DON'T DO IT.) I suggested he maybe find a freelancer on Craig's List, but that was all I could think of.

"Well," he says, "Would YOU do it?"

:o

No, I'm sorry sir, I'm not going to work for a stranger on the phone, doing something completely outside of my job description and skill set, that will take a gazillion hours. Thanks, but no.

gmatoy

Another college changing classes for graduation story: I went to a community college and got an AA degree, then transferred to a state university. When accepted to the university, they sent a letter stating that I'd been accepted, that they were allowing X amount of credits to be used toward my 4 year degree, and telling me that I had met my math and science credits, but needed to make sure I got the rest of my language credits.

Fast forward to my senior year, when my advisor tells me I need another class of foreign languages and another math class. I asked her to review the transcripts.

Okay, she allowed that I had gotten the language after graduating from community college and before coming to the university. I still needed to take the math class, which had been an added requirement.

I asked when the class had been added and it was the same month as the letter I got telling me that I had taken enough classes already. I asked around and no one could say when the math requirement had been added.

I wrote a request to be grandfathered in and it was given. However, my advisor did not help me in any way to have that happen. It was my DH who told me that I should be able to write a request. ( DH who had graduated 25 years earlier and 3000 miles away! He knew what had been allowed at his university and figured it should be allowed at mine.) Having to get that math class would have meant not getting into my post grad. courses for a full year.

Katana_Geldar

I'm not exactly sure what students are after when they come to enrollment complaining about lack of choices. They choose their course, they can access information online or through the university itself and see how the course is structured before they even decide to attend at all. Then they arrive and complain about the lack of choices in terms of subjects and the inconvenience of when they are on the timetable. I can't say this to students, but I want to tell them you chose to come here and I can't be blamed for your lack of research. The timetable is what it is and can't be changed. You also decided to come late to enrollment period so it means that there's even fewer choices, even if there were any to begin with.

When I was at university, there was one subject that I simple had to drop out of because of a timetable clash. I wanted to do the subject, the teacher was great but it with an English subject I was doing and to get those I really had to scrape. I spoke to him and explained the situation but there was nothing to be done. In the end, the next semester he ran two lots of lectures at different times so students who had clashes could still attend his classes.