News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 07:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1482278 times)

Katana_Geldar

Honestly, when I have a student come to me saying they want particular days or times I just want to laugh at them.

whatsanenigma

Honestly, when I have a student come to me saying they want particular days or times I just want to laugh at them.

It reminds me of the old saying, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

So, sure, you can have classes only on certain days and times, if that's what you want.  If you do that, though, you will take a bit longer to graduate.

On the other hand, if you want to graduate ASAP, you will not be able to be so picky about when you have classes.

Either one works fine, depending on your own individual priorities.  Pick one!  And don't whine when it's made clear you can't have both.

Katana_Geldar

It's not just that, the students have prerequisites to meet and some lead onto more courses than others. What we found was when attention was given to timetable over subjects, a subject that should have been done a while ago really limited a student's choices for the current trimester. Some students had to do concurrent study, taking a prerequisite with the later subject, as a result of this.

There's also prior knowledge that's needed, even if wasn't listed as a prerequisite on the form back then. I showed the new form to a student to reinforce why the earlier subject was a better choice than the later one.

whatsanenigma

It's not just that, the students have prerequisites to meet and some lead onto more courses than others. What we found was when attention was given to timetable over subjects, a subject that should have been done a while ago really limited a student's choices for the current trimester. Some students had to do concurrent study, taking a prerequisite with the later subject, as a result of this.

There's also prior knowledge that's needed, even if wasn't listed as a prerequisite on the form back then. I showed the new form to a student to reinforce why the earlier subject was a better choice than the later one.

Oh, that does make sense.  My overall point was that technically, it can be done, if you put all your priority onto when the class meets.  If that's the "anything" you want, you can certainly have it.

You'll get a lot more grief and frustration in other ways, and it will take you longer to get your degree, but if that's okay by you, you can do it.

I think too many people expect to have "everything" these days and that's where problems like this arise.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost

It reminds me of the old saying, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

So, sure, you can have classes only on certain days and times, if that's what you want.  If you do that, though, you will take a bit longer to graduate.

On the other hand, if you want to graduate ASAP, you will not be able to be so picky about when you have classes.

Either one works fine, depending on your own individual priorities.  Pick one!  And don't whine when it's made clear you can't have both.

A family friend started school at my university and his parents made some pretty significant financial sacrifices in order for him to have the full living on campus experience. He is only taking three classes that aren't online and didn't want to take anything with a lab, so no math or prereq for his program.

Guess who is only getting to live on campus one semester and had to go back to work?
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Yarnspinner

Aiiighhh!

We are on a roll.

"Why didn't I get an email confirmation of the job application I sent on Saturday?"

Did you send it from your email account?

"No."

Did you fill out an application at a website?

"Yes."

Did they ask for your email?

"Yes."

Did you give it to them?

"No."    Long pause.  "OH!"

LETitbe

My name is Jane Doe and I have an appointment at 3:40.

(She's not in our appointment book)

Ok, what doctor were you seeing today?

I don't know. I called and made an appointment yesterday.

Who did you speak to on the phone?

I don't know.

Are you sure your appointment was here?

No. (Staring at me like I should solve this issue)

Do you know the name of the doctor's office?

I'm not sure, are there others in this area?

Yes, there are a few, there is Dr. X, Dr. Y, Dr. X...

Well, I don't know which one it's at (and then just keeps staring at me, expecting me to solve this problem!! Eventually I guess)

Was it Doctor Jones?

Maybe. (Continues looking at me to solve this issue, so I call Dr. Jones- luckily I was right on the first try!!)

I feel like that was a really unreasonable request- maybe I'm crazy...??

Carotte

That reminds me that I still have no idea what so ever of the name of my dentist!
I had called asking for Doctor X, the one my SO had seen a few months before.
Doctor X doesn't work there anymore, so I book an apointment with Doctor ?.
The plate on the street still said Doctor X, and Doctor ? didn't have a name plate on her door (there's 2 or 3 dentists in the same practice, the others had their name on their door).

I don't know how I will ever manage next time I need to see her   ::).
(By being polite and asking them to look me up, but I don't like phonecalls so I'm already dreading it).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
Well, I once IDed my new doctor by telling the receptionist, "She has lovely black hair and great cheekbones." The receptionist got a good laugh out of it, but knew who I meant.

Speaking of impossible requests, if you have questions about the G-8 Summit, calling a cleaning service is not going to be of much use. Go bug the State Department.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LETitbe

That reminds me that I still have no idea what so ever of the name of my dentist!
I had called asking for Doctor X, the one my SO had seen a few months before.
Doctor X doesn't work there anymore, so I book an apointment with Doctor ?.
The plate on the street still said Doctor X, and Doctor ? didn't have a name plate on her door (there's 2 or 3 dentists in the same practice, the others had their name on their door).

I don't know how I will ever manage next time I need to see her   ::).
(By being polite and asking them to look me up, but I don't like phonecalls so I'm already dreading it).

I actually work for a dentist's office- I was just trying to be vague ;)
If you call the actual correct office, you shouldn't have any issue. It will say when they look up your name who your doctor is. A lot of dentist's offices now use email, too, if you find that easier, you may check their webpage to see if they have an address and try that first. I hate making phone calls to offices, too, and I'm a receptionist!
Just say you're calling to schedule an appointment for X (whatever work you need done, or the tooth issue you're having). They should look up your name, and they'll see your doctor. If they ask what doctor you see, just say you were originally referred to see doctor X, but you know he's not there anymore, and you're happy with whomever they have available. They'll look into your history and set you up with someone you've seen before. That's what I would do!

ETA: In my original story, the person was in the completely wrong office, didn't know the name or anything about the practice she was supposed to be at, and expected me to figure out which practice in town she was seeing. That's *totally* different than not knowing the name of your doctor. Plenty of people forget that!

CrazyDaffodilLady

Dear Patron,

You can stand in front of me and stare at me as long as you want, but unless you have a library card you are not getting the book. 

Nor will I put the book on hold for you nor will I request another library to send it here.

My guess, in fact, that you are among the people who are the reason that all ten of OUR copies of said book are marked "missing."

No library card, no book.

If someone is unaware that they need a library card to check out a book, they're probably unaware that they'll be expected to return the book.  :P  I'm kind of wondering if the patron could actually read.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Dear city emergency services: Do not send me a bill for an ambulance where the only payment option is by phone and then refuse to answer the phone! I have left 26 messages via google voice since the beginning of January.  Not once has the phone been actually answered and I only received a callback today while I was working to let me know that I would be sent to collections if I did not call in a payment today.  Somehow, despite your message, you will still not answer the phone.  Yes, I have been calling the correct number. Yes, I have been calling during business hours.  I almost want you to send it to collections because at least then I could pay the friggin bill!

My impossible request if for them to answer the phone during business hours.  :(   >:(
Sounds like a job for the most annoying consumer advocate reporter in your area to me. Another idea is to call your representative in city government and explain you have been trying to pay this bill in good faith and obviously people are not doing their jobs.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nutraxfornerves

That is exactly the kind of situation where calling or writing you city representative will get results. Someone from their office will call the emergency service office and ask why your calls are not being returned. The emergency service office will think "rats! we gotta look into this because someone important inquired." And they will look into it. I'll be they find a voice mail box full of messages because no one was assigned to check them. And people who did not think to wonder why no one ways paying bills.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

Speaking of impossible requests, if you have questions about the G-8 Summit, calling a cleaning service is not going to be of much use. Go bug the State Department.
While I'm sure it would net you more information, I think planting a bug in the State Department would lead to legal issues.  ;)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
While I'm sure it would net you more information, I think planting a bug in the State Department would lead to legal issues.  ;)

*sporfle*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls