Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689348 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
I talked to a woman last week who was very upset with us that her account wasn't fully paid off.  Had she sent in the full payment?  Well, no.  Was she on a payment plan and this was the last payment?  Well, no.  Did she realize that there was still an outstanding balance?  Well, yes.  "But I wrote paid in full on the last check I sent you, so you have to wipe out the rest of the balance!". I'm sorry? "Cashing the check means you accept my payment on this, so it's a legal contract.  That means since I wrote "paid in full" on the check, and you cashed it, you're legally obligated to abide by that!".   

Yeah, no, sorry.  Not wiping out a four digit balance on your account because you wrote some words on your check.

I have actually heard that you should write something to that effect on your check if you've agreed to a settlement with the creditor, just as an extra safeguard if they try to call you again on the same debt (they should have written records or recordings of the arrangement, but just as an extra note), but I've never heard of anyone thinking they can just make the decision on the settlement themselves. That's pretty silly.

No, don't write it on the check. Get their agreement to accept partial payment as full settlement of the debt in writing first, and then make sure they put 'paid in full' on the receipt. THEN you're fine.

Basically, putting 'paid in full' on something only has genuine meaning when it's the creditor writing it, not the debtor.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
So, one of my co-workers had to deal with a client who was terribly upset with a her order being late. During the course of the conversation, this person (who lives in the Northeast and managed to name-drop her fancy neighborhood several times), expressed the opinion that it's a shame the rest of the country has to deal with the incompetence of people in our state in general.  :o

Yeeeeaaaahhhh. The reason her shipment was "late"? She misread the confirmation email and thought that the ship date was the delivery date.

She wanted our CSR to make sure that the shipment reached her by the end of the day that day.  The shipment was already enroute and would be delivered the following morning...which was actually a day before the estimated arrival date in the first place. ::)

Katana_Geldar

Dear Disgruntled Student,

I understand you wanted to do five subjects and finish your degree this trimester rather than the three I could only enroll you in. I understand that you wish you to go back home to your country for family related events and that doing two trimesters means this is going to be delayed. And I know you argued and cajoled with me and asked if there was anyone you could talk to about enrolling in this one subject that had filled up early last week, but there was nothing I could do.

I went on a fools errand to administration to explain your case and the answer was still no. I asked at data entry and, just as I suspected, the subject was still full. I explained this to you at some length that this was after enrollment period, so classes had filled up and it really was your responsibility to come earlier if possible to enroll in your classes. And I explained despite your protests and pleadings that there was, literally, no one who could magic up a spot for you in  a class that had been filled up for at least a week.

Can you blame me for closing your file when you wouldn't listen to me, and telling you there was nothing that I could do? And can you blame me for being more than a little upset at your blatant rudeness when I had gone above and beyond to help you.

Really, the blame is on you, Disgruntled Student,  to come early to enrollment and it really is your own fault if you come the week after it had finished and expect to magically be put into your classes. But I was too polite to point that out.

Redsoil

Hearing you, Katana_Geldar!

Sometimes I wonder about people.  You go above and waaaaaaaay beyond to try and help them (oftentimes, when they've been too lazy to organise themselves) and you not only get no thanks, you get attitude!  Hate that.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Yarnspinner

Dear Patron,

You can stand in front of me and stare at me as long as you want, but unless you have a library card you are not getting the book. 

Nor will I put the book on hold for you nor will I request another library to send it here.

My guess, in fact, that you are among the people who are the reason that all ten of OUR copies of said book are marked "missing."

No library card, no book. 

alkira6

Dear city emergency services: Do not send me a bill for an ambulance where the only payment option is by phone and then refuse to answer the phone! I have left 26 messages via google voice since the beginning of January.  Not once has the phone been actually answered and I only received a callback today while I was working to let me know that I would be sent to collections if I did not call in a payment today.  Somehow, despite your message, you will still not answer the phone.  Yes, I have been calling the correct number. Yes, I have been calling during business hours.  I almost want you to send it to collections because at least then I could pay the friggin bill!

My impossible request if for them to answer the phone during business hours.  :(   >:(

Jocelyn

This might be an urban legend, but I always heard when I was in college that the published catalog that was in effect when you enrolled was a contract between you and the university as far as degree requirements; nothing could be added or changed once you had declared your major.
Not an urban legend- that's the definition of 'catalog'. So long as you stay with the catalog, you cannot have additional classes required. Of course, if the department drops a requirement, it may be to your advantage to change your catalog so that you're not required to take that class. :) However, if the department drops the class as a requirement, they may also decrease the frequency with which it's offered, so that could mess a student up. In my department, we recently required 222 of all students; previously it was an elective. So for students in older catalogs, we can't require them to take 222, but material that was previously taught in 321 is now being taught in 222, so we tell them it's in their best interest to take 222, even if they're not required to, and most do.

We constantly have trouble with students who assume that prerequisites are just a plot to keep them from graduating early. It doesn't make sense to them that they can't take Practice 1, 2 and 3 all in the same semester- it'll get them to graduation faster! Uh, no, it won't, because you will flunk 2 and 3 because you don't know the material taught in 1. And then there's the student who only wants T-TH classes, it doesn't matter what the classes are. So they're a sophomore, but they enroll in senior level classes because they're taught on T-TH, instead of taking all the sophomore-level classes before moving on to the junior-level classes. Yes, it would be delightful if we could offer all classes on T-TH, but you know what? Faculty aren't machines that can give 4 lectures a day, and there are only so many classrooms on campus. We can't have the classrooms sitting empty 3 days a week because you don't want to come to class MWF.

Katana_Geldar

Honestly, when I have a student come to me saying they want particular days or times I just want to laugh at them.

whatsanenigma

Honestly, when I have a student come to me saying they want particular days or times I just want to laugh at them.

It reminds me of the old saying, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

So, sure, you can have classes only on certain days and times, if that's what you want.  If you do that, though, you will take a bit longer to graduate.

On the other hand, if you want to graduate ASAP, you will not be able to be so picky about when you have classes.

Either one works fine, depending on your own individual priorities.  Pick one!  And don't whine when it's made clear you can't have both.

Katana_Geldar

It's not just that, the students have prerequisites to meet and some lead onto more courses than others. What we found was when attention was given to timetable over subjects, a subject that should have been done a while ago really limited a student's choices for the current trimester. Some students had to do concurrent study, taking a prerequisite with the later subject, as a result of this.

There's also prior knowledge that's needed, even if wasn't listed as a prerequisite on the form back then. I showed the new form to a student to reinforce why the earlier subject was a better choice than the later one.

whatsanenigma

It's not just that, the students have prerequisites to meet and some lead onto more courses than others. What we found was when attention was given to timetable over subjects, a subject that should have been done a while ago really limited a student's choices for the current trimester. Some students had to do concurrent study, taking a prerequisite with the later subject, as a result of this.

There's also prior knowledge that's needed, even if wasn't listed as a prerequisite on the form back then. I showed the new form to a student to reinforce why the earlier subject was a better choice than the later one.

Oh, that does make sense.  My overall point was that technically, it can be done, if you put all your priority onto when the class meets.  If that's the "anything" you want, you can certainly have it.

You'll get a lot more grief and frustration in other ways, and it will take you longer to get your degree, but if that's okay by you, you can do it.

I think too many people expect to have "everything" these days and that's where problems like this arise.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.

It reminds me of the old saying, "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

So, sure, you can have classes only on certain days and times, if that's what you want.  If you do that, though, you will take a bit longer to graduate.

On the other hand, if you want to graduate ASAP, you will not be able to be so picky about when you have classes.

Either one works fine, depending on your own individual priorities.  Pick one!  And don't whine when it's made clear you can't have both.

A family friend started school at my university and his parents made some pretty significant financial sacrifices in order for him to have the full living on campus experience. He is only taking three classes that aren't online and didn't want to take anything with a lab, so no math or prereq for his program.

Guess who is only getting to live on campus one semester and had to go back to work?

Yarnspinner

Aiiighhh!

We are on a roll.

"Why didn't I get an email confirmation of the job application I sent on Saturday?"

Did you send it from your email account?

"No."

Did you fill out an application at a website?

"Yes."

Did they ask for your email?

"Yes."

Did you give it to them?

"No."    Long pause.  "OH!"

LETitbe

My name is Jane Doe and I have an appointment at 3:40.

(She's not in our appointment book)

Ok, what doctor were you seeing today?

I don't know. I called and made an appointment yesterday.

Who did you speak to on the phone?

I don't know.

Are you sure your appointment was here?

No. (Staring at me like I should solve this issue)

Do you know the name of the doctor's office?

I'm not sure, are there others in this area?

Yes, there are a few, there is Dr. X, Dr. Y, Dr. X...

Well, I don't know which one it's at (and then just keeps staring at me, expecting me to solve this problem!! Eventually I guess)

Was it Doctor Jones?

Maybe. (Continues looking at me to solve this issue, so I call Dr. Jones- luckily I was right on the first try!!)

I feel like that was a really unreasonable request- maybe I'm crazy...??

Carotte

That reminds me that I still have no idea what so ever of the name of my dentist!
I had called asking for Doctor X, the one my SO had seen a few months before.
Doctor X doesn't work there anymore, so I book an apointment with Doctor ?.
The plate on the street still said Doctor X, and Doctor ? didn't have a name plate on her door (there's 2 or 3 dentists in the same practice, the others had their name on their door).

I don't know how I will ever manage next time I need to see her   ::).
(By being polite and asking them to look me up, but I don't like phonecalls so I'm already dreading it).