Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689295 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
There was a medical practice in my hometown which only had half a dozen doctors, but two of them were both Dr. Chris UnusualLastName.  They were in related but not identical specialties (e.g. optometry and ophthalmology) and were married to each other  :P  I can't imagine what the receptionists had to deal with.  (In their case, it was probably pretty easy to ask "The lady Chris or the man Chris?" but they probably confused a lot of patients who didn't realize there were two!)

I used to work in an office that had three people with the same last name.  I started asking the young one, the old one, or the pretty lady?  My CWs were a bit agog at first until they realized I found out who they were looking for very quickly.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

camlan

• Super Hero!
There was a medical practice in my hometown which only had half a dozen doctors, but two of them were both Dr. Chris UnusualLastName.  They were in related but not identical specialties (e.g. optometry and ophthalmology) and were married to each other  :P  I can't imagine what the receptionists had to deal with.  (In their case, it was probably pretty easy to ask "The lady Chris or the man Chris?" but they probably confused a lot of patients who didn't realize there were two!)

I attended a small college. There were two professors with the same last name and same first initial--think Robert Dawson and Roger Dawson. Both taught in the same department. There was continual confusion--the course catalog listed the professors teaching a course by first initial and last name, and Robert D. was a lot harder than Roger D., so many students wanted to take a course with Roger D. and ended up with Robert D.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
We have many professors who are married couples and have the same last name. It can be very confusing for students.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
We have many professors who are married couples and have the same last name. It can be very confusing for students.

I had classes in the same discipline with two professors who turned out to be married.  Apparently the woman had kept her name (at least professionally), so they had different last names.  I'm beginning to get an idea why that was...

daen

In the local medical clinic, we had two doctors who were referred to by first name (Dr. Angie and Dr. Christian, let's say).
Dr. Angie's last name was a multi-syllabic hyphenated name. Dr. Christian had the same last name as another doctor who'd been at the clinic longer.

As for professors: in my small college (20 person faculty at the time), one professor and the financial officer had the same first and last name. Neither had a middle name, either. So when the financial officer was first hired, he and the professor discussed things and decided to add the initial of their father's first name as a middle initial. So we called them James J and James L, and the last name didn't figure in at all.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
When I started work at the museum, I was working with three curators.  They would frequently lecture at various functions and we'd get callers who had attended these functions and had questions. 

The problem was that the callers often didn't remember the name of the curator.  They did remember that he had an Italian name.

All three had Italian names. 

They also remembered that he had a beard.

All three had beards.

The saving grace was that each curator had a different body size.  One was built like a linebacker and one was quite short and slight.  The third was somewhere in the middle.  We could often clear up the confusion by asking the caller if he was looking for 'small, medium or large'.

Luci

• Super Hero!

We could often clear up the confusion by asking the caller if he was looking for 'small, medium or large'.

;D ;D

nutraxfornerves

Leo Rosten, the Yiddish maven, tells a story that goes like this:

Someone calls a law office and the receptionist answers "Smith, Smith, Smith, and Smith."

"Hello, may I please speak to Mr. Smith?" "I'm sorry, but Mr. Smith is in court."
"Well, then, can I speak to Mr. Smith?
"Sorry, Mr. Smith is out of town."
"How about connecting me ot Mr. Smith?"
"He won't be in until 1 PM."
Sigh. "Okay. I'll talk to Mr. Smith."
"Speaking."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
It feels like every new hire for our AP department has been named Mike, which is funny in a confusing way.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
After we had consecutive new hires with the last names of German, Greenberg, Goldberg, and Greene, I told my bosses that if the next one started with G, I was quitting.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

mime

I worked in an office that had a woman who was VP in Marketing, and had had the nickname "Tiny" for many years. There was also new accounting intern named Tini (pronounced "teeny"). One day two auditors had asked to speak to the VP.

Conversations went something like this:
Auditors (at reception): We're here to speak to Ms. Reed.
Receptionist (to an assistant): Take then to Tiny's office. (which was a big corner office)

Assistant takes auditors to Tini's desk (which barely qualified as a cubicle)

The auditors stood there, bewildered, until I noticed them

Me: Are you looking for Tini or Tiny?
Auditors:  ???
Me: Ms Reed?
Auditors: *big sigh of relief* yes!

camlan

• Super Hero!
Let's say my name is Sally Jane Smith. I got hired at a small family owned company.The owner's name was Sally Joe Scott--same first name, same initals.

To avoid confusion, I suggested that I could go by "Jane." But there was already a Jane on staff. So I suggested that I go by "Sally Jane," but there was already a Sally Jane on staff.

I ended up just using my initials, so everyone at work called me "SJ."

And then we hired another Sally, and yet another Sally Jane. We had "Upstairs Sally Jane," and "Downstairs Sally Jane," and "Sales Sally."

The owner remained just plain Sally, but it was very common for people to double-and-triple check just which Sally you meant.

(The names have been changed, but the amount of duplication was real. In a company with 30 employees.)
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

faithlessone

My office currently has 8 men named Lee.

Out of 17.

It's crazy.

Luckily they all have different last name initials, so we have Lee B, Lee E, Lee G, Lee H, Lee K, Lee M, Lee P and Lee W. But still! I've informed my boss that if he hires anyone else called Lee, I'm insisting they change their name. By law if necessary. ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
In college, I lived in a co-ed dorm that had three Erics. They ended up with the nickames Fruitbat, Half-A-Bee, and Schwa.

(bonus points for anyone who can figure out the nicename sources.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Where I used to work, there were 4 of us and all of us had a first name that started with M.  We hired a new guy.  Whose name started with G.  On his first day, I told him he was going to have to change his name to Matt so he could fit in with the rest of us.  There was a heartbeat of a pause while he figured out I was kidding and then he laughed.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario