Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 705464 times)

Lorelei_Evil

that wretched demi-bee...

SoCalVal

I used to work for a drug store where, in succession, the warehouse person hired was George, Paul then John.  They said the next guy hired was going to be called Ringo.

===========================================================================

At work, I'm dealing with an internal recruiter who really doesn't have a clue.  She knows we're severely shorthanded and that I've been working like crazy BY MYSELF to assist my entire department on a task that is normally done by four full-time employees (she claims to understand then "forgets" why I am behind and insists I drop everything else I'm doing to complete her task...after I've already done that way too many times...after I've already stated that I can no longer push back these other tasks that are issues of compliance and can result in us being further short-staffed.  She even tried demanding to me we hire someone else to do the compliance tasks...except for the fact that the one other person we brought in (a temp) isn't being allowed to access the things we need her to access because she's a temp...and that Recruiter's dept is the one blocking her access (so pay someone else to come in and not be able to help either???).  The recruiter also forgets that she's insisted I do something one way, so I do it that way, then turns around and asks me why I did it that way!!! (like, don't fill out this form then why didn't you fill out this form or don't do this task then why didn't you do this task -- I have to admit I did lose my cool this morning because she did it yet again!!! Freaking make up your mind already!!!)

I do get to laugh and share the unreasonable requests with my section of the department.  We all know they are insane.  As far as the insistence I get all of this stuff done ASAP...well, I just refuse to give up my life anymore (I was putting in a lot of OT and working from home and getting nowhere, including the fact I was still getting berated for being behind and getting ZERO acknowledgement or gratitude from my area for me working the additional time).  It stung so I stopped and, frankly, I'm much less stressed out these days because I won't let work take over my outside-this-job life.  And now our recruiter thinks I should magically come up with another employee to do my work so I can focus on her recruitment tasks only.  I don't know why she thinks the only thing in my job description is recruitment; last time I checked, I don't work for HR and that's not my title (recruiter).

Yeah, not going to happen...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:13:05 PM by SoCalVal »

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
In college, I lived in a co-ed dorm that had three Erics. They ended up with the nickames Fruitbat, Half-A-Bee, and Schwa.

(bonus points for anyone who can figure out the nicename sources.)

Ha!! my college friends and I had a running Schwa gag going for about 5 years.  Drove people crazy

BB-VA

Let's say my name is Sally Jane Smith. I got hired at a small family owned company.The owner's name was Sally Joe Scott--same first name, same initals.

To avoid confusion, I suggested that I could go by "Jane." But there was already a Jane on staff. So I suggested that I go by "Sally Jane," but there was already a Sally Jane on staff.

I ended up just using my initials, so everyone at work called me "SJ."

And then we hired another Sally, and yet another Sally Jane. We had "Upstairs Sally Jane," and "Downstairs Sally Jane," and "Sales Sally."

The owner remained just plain Sally, but it was very common for people to double-and-triple check just which Sally you meant.

(The names have been changed, but the amount of duplication was real. In a company with 30 employees.)

I worked at a place where I had the same first name as an established employee.  My last name starts with B and her started with D, so at first they tried BB and BD - but that didn't work too well, with the rhyming issue.  So then it was First Name 1 and First Name 2, but nobody really liked that.  So she became First Name and I became BB.   It sorta worked.  Anyway, I got part of my web handle out if it. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

EveLGenius

Many members of my family have doctorates, and I distinctly remember one poor person who called near Christmas:

Caller:  May I speak to Dr. Genius?

Me:  Which one?

Caller: (confused) There's more than one?

Me:  There are five in the house right now, and we expect a few more later this afternoon.  Do you have a first name?

Caller: (sound of despair) No...

Me:  Male or female?

Caller:  Male! 

Me:  Political Science, Law, Law History, Comparative Religions-

Caller: (relieved, happy voice) Law!

Me:  That's Ted.  Just a moment, and I'll get him for you.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Just like when my DH's family is all together and someone asks for Mr. Lastname.

Caller: Is Mr. Lastname there?
Me: Which one?
Caller: There's more than one?
Me: Do you want the mayor, the senator, the insurance agent, the sales manager, the locksmith, the professor or the simulations engineer?

hjaye

Would it be possible to take the different people same names to it's own thread and get back to the impossible task requests?

Thanks

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
"Silly Sally went to town, walking backwards, upside down..."

not quite on the level of Impossible Patron Requests, but,

I am a piano teacher.  I received a transfer student from a friend teacher (there are three of us that teach out of one private school after hours)  My friend teacher basically told me, "good luck!"  Well, she was right- the girl has the most basic of basics fall out of her brain week to week.  I have students two years younger that have progressed well past her.   She NEVER does her practice/homework/worksheets/notebook/lessons/etc...

The mom told me that the other teacher was "mean."  So I was extra cautious to be "nice" and yes, the girl really likes me.  she is very sweet.  But cannot remember anything to save her life. 

I recently started her on a new lesson series just to get her on to something new, a fresh presentation of the basics.  The mom was excited that she was getting "more challenging work so she can progress." 

In actuality, I am stuck in a holding pattern.  Until the girl demonstrates that she can remember the most basic of info, that literally, my several kindergarten students have retained and at a much quicker rate, I cannot move this girl on.

Mom is happy that girl has new books/music.

even though I have shown her the dated pages re-assigned because still blank week after week, even though I write it dwon in the assignment notebook, mom's response is, "Oh, I do not know music so I cannot help her at all.  I just tell her to go to her room and practice.  She loves to play around on our keyboard!"

The "homework" might be, draw a line to match the symbol to the meaning.  Or, circle all the quarter notes you see.  Or, add a word to this lyric to make it rhyme. 
Or, you know, actually practice, like, do page 9 in Lesson Book, following outlined practice instructions, and complete Theory worksheet 5, use warm-up page 4 as a daily warm-up.  And yes, I mark the pages and have her do it in lesson time.  But then she goes home and does...nothing...and the next week's lesson is a complete review of the week prior.  And so on.

But, the mom thinks the new books will "challenge her so she will progress."

Not sure the books are magical. 

amazing how my students that do the work magically progress!  :)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

NyaChan

"Silly Sally went to town, walking backwards, upside down..."

not quite on the level of Impossible Patron Requests, but,

I am a piano teacher.  I received a transfer student from a friend teacher (there are three of us that teach out of one private school after hours)  My friend teacher basically told me, "good luck!"  Well, she was right- the girl has the most basic of basics fall out of her brain week to week.  I have students two years younger that have progressed well past her.   She NEVER does her practice/homework/worksheets/notebook/lessons/etc...

The mom told me that the other teacher was "mean."  So I was extra cautious to be "nice" and yes, the girl really likes me.  she is very sweet.  But cannot remember anything to save her life. 

I recently started her on a new lesson series just to get her on to something new, a fresh presentation of the basics.  The mom was excited that she was getting "more challenging work so she can progress." 

In actuality, I am stuck in a holding pattern.  Until the girl demonstrates that she can remember the most basic of info, that literally, my several kindergarten students have retained and at a much quicker rate, I cannot move this girl on.

Mom is happy that girl has new books/music.

even though I have shown her the dated pages re-assigned because still blank week after week, even though I write it dwon in the assignment notebook, mom's response is, "Oh, I do not know music so I cannot help her at all.  I just tell her to go to her room and practice.  She loves to play around on our keyboard!"

The "homework" might be, draw a line to match the symbol to the meaning.  Or, circle all the quarter notes you see.  Or, add a word to this lyric to make it rhyme. 
Or, you know, actually practice, like, do page 9 in Lesson Book, following outlined practice instructions, and complete Theory worksheet 5, use warm-up page 4 as a daily warm-up.  And yes, I mark the pages and have her do it in lesson time.  But then she goes home and does...nothing...and the next week's lesson is a complete review of the week prior.  And so on.

But, the mom thinks the new books will "challenge her so she will progress."

Not sure the books are magical. 

amazing how my students that do the work magically progress!  :)

That sounds like a parent who likes the idea of saying her child plays the piano to others and a kid who has little real interest in it.  That would drive me bonkers o_0

Jones

I was in piano 12 years and, although I progressed, it was slow and painful. I had a very difficult time "getting" music, my brain just doesn't work that way. It irks me today when I hear other mothers talking about how their kids simply have to learn piano because if they don't, the kids will never succeed in life (paraphrased). But, yeah, the least the kid could do is work in the piano theory book.

greencat

Would it help to tell the *parent* after each lesson "Sally has to do this book work.  If she doesn't have it done before the next lesson period, she will spend the lesson time doing that book work instead of progressing."

Margo

I was in piano 12 years and, although I progressed, it was slow and painful. I had a very difficult time "getting" music, my brain just doesn't work that way. It irks me today when I hear other mothers talking about how their kids simply have to learn piano because if they don't, the kids will never succeed in life (paraphrased). But, yeah, the least the kid could do is work in the piano theory book.

My younger sister started piano lessons because the Ed. Psych said she would benefit from dping something which she would find frustrating! (I assume frustrating as is 'you actually have to work to learn it, you can't just sit down and do it right the very first .)

Of course, the rest of the family found it quite frustrating to start with, too...

Luci

• Super Hero!
If mom can't "help" with the homework, mom could ask the student to teach mom theory while the information is fresh in the child's mind as she does her papers. Sometimes that helps. I found being a tutor solidified stuff in my brain.

Sometimes, the student isn't wired for music theory (or math) and nothing will help.

We have learned over the years that by "helping" with homework, to some it means doing it rather than guiding.

MissRose

I could NEVER read music to save my hide.  Good thing I never had to use that skill in real life! 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!

I could NEVER read music to save my hide.  Good thing I never had to use that skill in real life!

I've always seen reading music (not piano necessarily, just music in general) kind of like swimming: once you know how, you can't fathom how some other people can't.  If you've never learned, though, it's a complete mystery why some people can be so casual about knowing it  :P

I do think a lot of adults know "notes on top sound higher than the notes on the bottom" - but there's a pretty wide gulf between that and actually *reading* music.