Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689062 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!

My younger sister started piano lessons because the Ed. Psych said she would benefit from doing something which she would find frustrating! (I assume frustrating as is 'you actually have to work to learn it, you can't just sit down and do it right the very first .)
:o :o :o   Then the Ed. Psych uses "frustrating" in a completely different fashion than the rest of the English-speaking world. 

frus·trate transitive verb \ˈfrəs-ˌtrāt\ 
: to cause (someone) to feel angry, discouraged, or upset because of not being able to do something
: to prevent (efforts, plans, etc.) from succeeding
: to keep (someone) from doing something

Why in the world would you want your child to be angry, discouraged, and upset? How could that possibly benefit her?

Maybe the word they wanted is "challenging."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:35:08 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jones

^^^ That's definitely how I felt during my piano lessons! I got strong fingers out of it and still can't read the hymnal, lol.

Luci

• Super Hero!

My younger sister started piano lessons because the Ed. Psych said she would benefit from doing something which she would find frustrating! (I assume frustrating as is 'you actually have to work to learn it, you can't just sit down and do it right the very first .)
:o :o :o   Then the Ed. Psych uses "frustrating" in a completely different fashion than the rest of the English-speaking world. 

: to cause (someone) to feel angry, discouraged, or upset because of not being able to do something

Why in the world would you want your child to be angry, discouraged, and upset? How could that possibly benefit her?

Our daughter received her first B in college. Seriously! She was very, very upset. We honestly felt it was kind of a help for her to see what she considered a failure. She was never cocky or snotty about her straight A forever as a child or young adult, but she still needed to feel "failure", as she saw it.

Why did we see it that way? I can't articulate the reason.

whatsanenigma

Our daughter received her first B in college. Seriously! She was very, very upset. We honestly felt it was kind of a help for her to see what she considered a failure. She was never cocky or snotty about her straight A forever as a child or young adult, but she still needed to feel "failure", as she saw it.

Maybe it was exactly because she was never cocky or snotty about it- was she the type who was always worried about getting an A, never with any confidence that she would, but terrified of the consequences if she didn't? (I'm not saying that even if she did feel that way, it had anything to do with you, it's just that some people sometimes do that.)

Because then maybe, it's the confirmation that it's "safe" to get less than an A, that life will go on and she can relax.  Because I know that is pretty much what I went through as a younger person, so if that's the case, I can relate.

(I still wouldn't advocate deliberately setting a child up for "failure", what the rest of the world considers "failure" or not.)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
I was in piano 12 years and, although I progressed, it was slow and painful. I had a very difficult time "getting" music, my brain just doesn't work that way. It irks me today when I hear other mothers talking about how their kids simply have to learn piano because if they don't, the kids will never succeed in life (paraphrased). But, yeah, the least the kid could do is work in the piano theory book.

I could NEVER read music to save my hide.  Good thing I never had to use that skill in real life!

I've always seen reading music (not piano necessarily, just music in general) kind of like swimming: once you know how, you can't fathom how some other people can't.  If you've never learned, though, it's a complete mystery why some people can be so casual about knowing it  :P

I do think a lot of adults know "notes on top sound higher than the notes on the bottom" - but there's a pretty wide gulf between that and actually *reading* music.

I played percussion as a kid and so I can read music for rhythm, but not for pitch. I know how long each note lasts, but not what pitch corresponds to what line of the staff.

Kaymyth

I was in piano 12 years and, although I progressed, it was slow and painful. I had a very difficult time "getting" music, my brain just doesn't work that way. It irks me today when I hear other mothers talking about how their kids simply have to learn piano because if they don't, the kids will never succeed in life (paraphrased). But, yeah, the least the kid could do is work in the piano theory book.

I could NEVER read music to save my hide.  Good thing I never had to use that skill in real life!

I've always seen reading music (not piano necessarily, just music in general) kind of like swimming: once you know how, you can't fathom how some other people can't.  If you've never learned, though, it's a complete mystery why some people can be so casual about knowing it  :P

I do think a lot of adults know "notes on top sound higher than the notes on the bottom" - but there's a pretty wide gulf between that and actually *reading* music.

Not to mention the fact that each instrument is almost its own "dialect" of music.  It's very strange.  If I have a flute in my hands, I can read the super-high ledger lines over the treble clef without the slightest problem.  Switch out for an oboe, and it's suddenly a strange mess of floating notes.

Hillia

Not to mention the fact that each instrument is almost its own "dialect" of music.  It's very strange.  If I have a flute in my hands, I can read the super-high ledger lines over the treble clef without the slightest problem.  Switch out for an oboe, and it's suddenly a strange mess of floating notes.

Never mind bass clef.

I was in band for years and a decent clarinetist, but I never learned any of the theory - keys were (and are) a deep mystery to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Coralreef

We are a chemical company and we do toll compounding.  A customer will come to us with his "recipe" and we make and package his product.  Sometimes, the customer will ask us to develop a product for them.  They come in with a list of what they want the product to do.  I've had quite a few that want their products to :

Clean everything under the sun, from asphalt on the car paint to baby's diapers with a single product that has to be : biodegradable, organic, nontoxic, noncorrosive, nonflammable, inexpensive.  All at the same time  ::)  I once suggested they spit on the stain and wipe with their sleeves, army style. Good thing my boss has a sense of humour.   

[/right

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Better yet, how about the people who want "no chemicals" in their product.

"You want to sell an empty bottle?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
We are a chemical company and we do toll compounding.  A customer will come to us with his "recipe" and we make and package his product.  Sometimes, the customer will ask us to develop a product for them.  They come in with a list of what they want the product to do.  I've had quite a few that want their products to :

Clean everything under the sun, from asphalt on the car paint to baby's diapers with a single product that has to be : biodegradable, organic, nontoxic, noncorrosive, nonflammable, inexpensive.  All at the same time  ::)  I once suggested they spit on the stain and wipe with their sleeves, army style. Good thing my boss has a sense of humour.   

Time to formulate them some Dihydrogen Monoxide.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Coralreef

Better yet, how about the people who want "no chemicals" in their product.

"You want to sell an empty bottle?"

May I steal this?  I'll let you know when I get to use it  >:D

[/right

andi

Mommy spit does it all

CakeEater

Yes - kids who can do seemingly everything will sometimes lack perspective and character if they never have to deal with frustration when learning something. Better they learn how to deal with it playing piano at age 10 (or whatever) than in important exams age 17.

Frustration can be an excellent thing.

gmatoy

"Silly Sally went to town, walking backwards, upside down..."

Off-track, but I love this book!! I read it one time slowly, showing the pictures and then I read it faster each time for two or three times. Students love it and they get the idea of fluency.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Perhaps I need to frustrate the mom!

I have had the mom sit in on lessons, and she did yoga poses instead of paying attention!   :o

I have shown her the pages to do, labeled and flagged, color penciled, dated, etc...That is when she says, "Oh, I jsut do not know music at all, so she has to do it all on her own."  child is 7.  I have junior high students with parents that could not tell a quarter note from a quart of milk, but they read the assignment notebook and check the pages and listen to the child play on occasion!

As for reading notes, the G clef/treble clef looks like a weird old fashioned cursive letter G.  It makes contact in four places on one line, the second line up.  This marks the G line.  ANY note, whether a quarter note, half note, etc...on this line, will be a G.

For the bass clef/F clef, that funny large dot that then swirls out like a comma with two smaller dots next to it mark the second line down on the lower stave.  The line it marks is the F line, so any note of any duration on that line will be an F.

There are only seven letters in the music alphabet, so you can count the steps up or down to figure out the rest if you just cannot remember anything else.  Yes, there are sharps and flats, and special markings, and fingerings and vocabulary and all that jazz, but...that will come later.

I have taught beginning piano to dozens of students, for several years.  This ONE student I just have not found the magical key...yet...

(It may very well be the mom- the girl also takes stylized horse riding lessons, and they left the week before spring break to go on a very fancy ski vacation.  Mom did not make it to the Christmas recital because she was hosting a fancy party.  I convinced her to have another family member bring the child to play.   Perhaps it is a case of "poor little rich girl.")

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:16:18 PM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.