Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 675802 times)

Margo

I'd like to see children more dealing with "challenge" than "frustration".

If they face challenges, they learn that things can be overcome. If they're faced with frustration, they learn that there are some things that, no matter how hard they try, they can't do. While this is, in its way, a good lesson of its own, it's not something I would want my children to learn before they learn, "Step 1 Failure, Step 2 - analyse and repeat with corrections, Step X, success!".

This. Making mistakes is normal.  You have to learn from them and adapt. I found that lessons learned the hard way are rarely forgotten.  Of course, I would never compromise a child's safety or health to "life lessons", but consequences for actions (good or bad) are part of life.
But forcing a child to do something purely for the purpose of frustrating her is cruel.  WHY would any loving parent agree to that? 

I do not know how to do algebra.  I will NEVER know how to do algebra. This is because algebra was pure frustration for me.  I would spend over an hour a day as a young teen crying over  my homework, because I did not understand what the teacher wanted.  I could give her the correct answer; I could show her how I arrived at that answer.  But it was marked wrong because I didn't do it the "right" way. 

Because of this, I didn't bother with college, other than a few classes that interested me.  I knew that I could never pass a college math course. 

And THAT is what frustration does for a child.

Just to clarify, the purpose was not to frustrate. The point was to give her things to do which would be challenging.  And it is very frustrating if you suddenly find something difficult, particularly when you have been used to finding pretty much everything easy.

and it is far better to have that experience when you are 9 or 10, and have loving and supportive family round you, than when you are (say) in your first year at University and realise that everyone else on your course was also the top of their class, and that the bar just got a lot higher. I saw a good deal of that when I went to university, and several people did pretty much crash and burn because they were meeting that challenge, and the frustration of finding stuff *hard* at the same time as coping with living away from home etc.

And of course, when you find something dificult and/or frustrating the feeling of achievement when you finally break through and get it to do what you wanted is correspondingly greater.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
My nephew took up go-kart racing in (I think) late middle school. He was upset that he didn't well at first.

His dad phrased it as "Well, it's your rookie season," with an air of  "of course you're not great just now, no one is at first," and that worked great!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

o_gal

Could the stories about challenging/frustrating students so they will learn better be moved to a separate thread? They don't seem like impossible patron requests anymore.

Katana_Geldar

Just saw this, it was a great way to deal with it.

http://notalwaysright.com/fortune-favors-the-foretold/36536

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Just saw this, it was a great way to deal with it.

http://notalwaysright.com/fortune-favors-the-foretold/36536

I would have said, "Your future is... you will be buying a book.  An expensive book.  Hey, want me to help you find that?"

MissRose

I was working with a customer who had an unusual issue with her mail program.  We did everything in our power to assist within our guidelines but she could not make it work.  A few others had the same issue in her office.  Her boss came on the phone insisting that it was us, not them, and they were wanting to set up a conference call with the program manufacturer and support (which is not allowed).  Eventually, she decided to call the manufacturer of the program who gave her the runaround.  She apparently called back because she still believed it was us not them even though we offered to test in a different environment to prove all is good here (but she declined that too).  They apparently gave up after spending at least 30 minutes with a supervisor who told them most of the same things me and 2 other people told them to do & what we could/could not do.

Last time I checked we did not make the software and support every aspect of it.....  ::)

pinkflamingo

I'm not sure this qualifies as a Harry Potter request, because I could have done it even if it wasn't ideal. I had two phone calls today with an entertainingly scatter-brained woman. (Conversations edited slightly for brevity and anonymity purposes)

Her: My clients are looking for similar offices in the area. Is there a way to look that up if I have their addresses?
Me: I'm happy to look that up for you. What's the first address?
Her: Oh, I don't have that. I'd have to call them and ask.
Me: Ok. If you give me your email address, I can send you the link to a website where you can look that up yourself.
Her. Oh, that would be great! My email address is...

(10 minutes later)

Her: Hi! It's me again! I didn't get your email. Could you fax it to me?

Luckily, she realized that she gave me the wrong email address and mentioned a couple of times that she's computer illiterate. Also, she didn't identify herself the second time around, so it's a good thing we aren't that busy today.

Reika

Today I had a customer who was angry that he hadn't gotten his check two days after we mailed it. It's going first class mail in the US Post Office, that's not exactly going to be instantaneous. Not to mention I've mailed things locally that didn't get to another place in the same city for a week.

That part that made it a Harry Potter request was that he wanted to me to pull the check and have it sent overnight. Not stop the check and reissue it (which we won't do because it went to the right address and it's only been two days), but get the original check back and resend it overnight. :o

Amara

Holy cow! This just happened.

I work in the adult education division at my college and am helping cover some breaks at the front desk today because one person is out and only one is there. A woman came in saying she wanted to register for a hiking class. I go to help her and she starts talking about how the fact that the class is scheduled for May 11, Mother's Day in the U.S. "That can't be!" she laments, going on (and one) about how she has too much to do that day, that it must be a mistake, that I should change it, etc. She wasn't unpleasant, but really. Do you think I can override an entire systems database, the instructor's choice, all the proofreading, the printing, payroll records and so on just to make it so she can take the class!

gingerzing

Just had this one. 
I work mostly with consumer questions, but occasionally will get other questions from industry folks.  Not normally a big deal.    (Adjusted slightly to keep me out of trouble)
Guy calls and is looking for a source for widgets in his state. Okay.  The tricky part is that he needs these widgets to have been certified to not have a certain issue - let's say never painted purple.   

However, here is the impossible issue.  Any widget made in the US (including his state) is not exposed to purple paint.  Just doesn't happen.  In our industry purple paint actually doesn't even exist.   Now outside of the US there are some purple paint issues, but we haven't had any in our industry for over 30 years.

Yet, the guy has a company that he is working with is demanding a certificate that the widgets he uses have never had purple paint.    I know of many certificates in our widget industry, but because the paint doesn't happen, I can't think of any certificates that exist.   

I had to send him to a widget expert in my office to chat with him about certificates. 

MissRose

I was at an outlet mall yesterday.  One store has recently started a going out of business sale.  One guy walked in the store while I was browsing and saying 'competing store in another town with same products and issue was selling things for a lower price' to a sales person.  Like the sales person has any control over the sales prices and percentage off!

SoCalVal

I was at an outlet mall yesterday.  One store has recently started a going out of business sale.  One guy walked in the store while I was browsing and saying 'competing store in another town with same products and issue was selling things for a lower price' to a sales person.  Like the sales person has any control over the sales prices and percentage off!

Actually, it's not unreasonable to mention because, sometimes, the salespeople *do* have control (e.g. -- I was doing a mystery shop on Saturday in a big store chain where there's a huge sign stating they will match Internet prices; in fact, I had to ask about it).  I was once in a beauty salon getting my haircut, and the stylist asked if I wanted to get my eyebrows waxed also.  I asked how much they charge.  The guy said it was $15.  I told him the place I always go to only charges $8 so I would wait.  Stylist talked to his manager and was told he could do it for $8 so I went ahead (never went there again though; my stylist was a big slob with giant food stains going down the front of his apron and didn't do a very good job with my eyebrows, which would've really peeved me at $15 since my usual place did a fantastic job for $8).

lilfox

Actually, it's not unreasonable to mention because, sometimes, the salespeople *do* have control (e.g. -- I was doing a mystery shop on Saturday in a big store chain where there's a huge sign stating they will match Internet prices; in fact, I had to ask about it).  I was once in a beauty salon getting my haircut, and the stylist asked if I wanted to get my eyebrows waxed also.  I asked how much they charge.  The guy said it was $15.  I told him the place I always go to only charges $8 so I would wait.  Stylist talked to his manager and was told he could do it for $8 so I went ahead (never went there again though; my stylist was a big slob with giant food stains going down the front of his apron and didn't do a very good job with my eyebrows, which would've really peeved me at $15 since my usual place did a fantastic job for $8).

Yep, this is one of those things often touted as a "secret" way to get discounts.  One magazine I read routinely offers the advice of always asking "Can you give me a better deal/price?" when making any major purchase.  The salesperson might not be able to, but a manager might.

That's the legit approach to getting an unadvertised discount.  However, the scammers thread is full of examples of people switching tags or boxes, deliberately ruining clothes for damaged-goods discounts, and pulling other snowflakey acts.  Harping on how "this store's prices are too high! Other store is much better!" shouldn't result in a discount so much as a polite invitation to patronize the clearly superior other store.

buvezdevin

Yep, this is one of those things often touted as a "secret" way to get discounts.  One magazine I read routinely offers the advice of always asking "Can you give me a better deal/price?" when making any major purchase.  The salesperson might not be able to, but a manager might.

That's the legit approach to getting an unadvertised discount.  However, the scammers thread is full of examples of people switching tags or boxes, deliberately ruining clothes for damaged-goods discounts, and pulling other snowflakey acts.  Harping on how "this store's prices are too high! Other store is much better!" shouldn't result in a discount so much as a polite invitation to patronize the clearly superior other store.

From recent experience a little more than a year ago, I had decided on particular models of new kitchen appliances and while price comparison was part of my research, schedule was a big factor also to get everything in time for a few weeks of renovation.  So, while I had found slightly better pricing on-line, a local big box was my choice as they could deliver much faster.  Speaking with the sales person I mentioned this, and he gave me 10% off on the spot.

After that favorable experience, I called the same big box to get a quote on replacing my water heater end of last year.  Got their quote, and a local business was a couple hundred dollars less, so I went with small local business.  Big box called me back, following up on the quote - I explained I went with another vendor for less, and the sales woman was very nice and understanding, and also said they would have matched the price, so to be sure and ask for when making any future purchases.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
A brand new location of McDonald's opened near my campus. For their grand opening, they had free small coffee all day and a buy one get one free deal on breakfast sandwiches.

They continued that for a week. Now it is free coffee, but not the sandwiches and people are very upset about that. I'm not sure how long a location could stay open and run a profit with a deal like that.