News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 08:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1415578 times)

YummyMummy66

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Solar-Eclipse-reschedule-Perot-Museum-Dallas-11751529.php

This has to be a classic - woman asks a museum to reschedule the solar eclipse to a non school day so that students can see it without missing school.

Did not get to read article in your link.   Comes up with a survey I would have to complete in order to see article.  Not doing that.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Solar-Eclipse-reschedule-Perot-Museum-Dallas-11751529.php

This has to be a classic - woman asks a museum to reschedule the solar eclipse to a non school day so that students can see it without missing school.

Did not get to read article in your link.   Comes up with a survey I would have to complete in order to see article.  Not doing that.

I get that survey occasionally, but there has always been a skip survey button that allows me to skip over that.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

nutraxfornerves

Try this

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Solar-Eclipse-reschedule-Perot-Museum-Dallas-11751529.php

or, the original Facebook discussion

Edited: a second person reposted the same question on the thread as a joke. The original post was deleted, but not the comments.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:53:08 PM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

o_gal

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, in favor of the woman. I think this was a case of "I wrote that but what I wrote is not what I'm really asking". I think she wanted them to reschedule the party, not the actual eclipse. The post from the museum is that they were having a party. She may have wanted them to have the party and its activities on the weekend, knowing that her kids were going to be in school for the actual eclipse.

Unless she really is serious and wanted them to reschedule the eclipse. Then yes, she's an idiot.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
A friend was very angry (on Facebook) about something coming up one day that meant she'd miss the eclipse. Last week! She would appreciate it if we could reschedule the darn thing for her. Life is so unfair!
Now, there was a lunar eclipse that day for parts of the Eastern Hemisphere, but she lives in the Western Hemisphere, and has never left the US. So either she was irrationally upset about missing the solar eclipse that hasn't happened yet, or irrationally upset about missing the lunar eclipse that she literally could not have seen. Either way, no one was jumping out of their seat to recalibrate the solar system for her.

nutraxfornerves

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, in favor of the woman. I think this was a case of "I wrote that but what I wrote is not what I'm really asking". I think she wanted them to reschedule the party, not the actual eclipse. The post from the museum is that they were having a party. She may have wanted them to have the party and its activities on the weekend, knowing that her kids were going to be in school for the actual eclipse.

Unless she really is serious and wanted them to reschedule the eclipse. Then yes, she's an idiot.

I thought that might be it at first, but when I looked at the event announcement, as well as the FB post from the museum which the Mom was replying to, it was very clear that this was an eclipse watching event. The museum even specified that the event was being held even though the eclipse will not be total at their location.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

JoW

Someone did complain to the Beatrice, Nebraska Chamber of Commerce because they scheduled the solar eclipse for a Monday when it would have been more convenient if it was on Sunday.  I don't know how or if they replied. 

(Beatrice is on the midline of the eclipse on August 21.  The Chamber of Commerce is coordinating the festival/money making event.)

Yarnspinner

Argh.  My Teen Librarian came up with what she felt was a great idea for Library Month.  I agreed.  She asked if she should run it by the assistant city librarian first.  I said it would probably be a good idea.  She called him and asked if we could do this project and he said he would check with the interim director and our board.  I heard her say "Well, if they approve it, make sure Lily and I get the credit."

We got the credit all right.  The fairly simple, just for our branch, project has been hijacked by our board, stuffed into a matter transfer machine and a fly was tossed in with it.  Our simple idea for us has mutated into an unrecognizable, unwieldy monster that all the other branches have to take on as well.  And they added the extra feature of keeping statistics.  Everyone gave me the stink eye at the meeting where I hear I am responsible for this awful mess.  I put my hands up and said "Please, take my name off of this and do not credit it to me.  That wasn't what we wanted to do, it wasn't meant to be forced on everyone else and there was none of this extra nonsense."

In future I think we will just be renegades.  The mess the board have made is almost impossible to quantify in any way, shape or form. 

PastryGoddess

Argh.  My Teen Librarian came up with what she felt was a great idea for Library Month.  I agreed.  She asked if she should run it by the assistant city librarian first.  I said it would probably be a good idea.  She called him and asked if we could do this project and he said he would check with the interim director and our board.  I heard her say "Well, if they approve it, make sure Lily and I get the credit."

We got the credit all right.  The fairly simple, just for our branch, project has been hijacked by our board, stuffed into a matter transfer machine and a fly was tossed in with it.  Our simple idea for us has mutated into an unrecognizable, unwieldy monster that all the other branches have to take on as well.  And they added the extra feature of keeping statistics.  Everyone gave me the stink eye at the meeting where I hear I am responsible for this awful mess.  I put my hands up and said "Please, take my name off of this and do not credit it to me.  That wasn't what we wanted to do, it wasn't meant to be forced on everyone else and there was none of this extra nonsense."

In future I think we will just be renegades.  The mess the board have made is almost impossible to quantify in any way, shape or form. 

You know your Library Board Management might just win for Worst Bureaucracy Ever...and they'd probably be super proud of themselves too

gingerzing

Ah, renegade librarians are the best!!
That is the only way to get fun stuff.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
No, the port that is closed for Hurricane Harvey will not reopen just for your group to board your cruise. I know it's disappointing.

No, you shouldn't drive toward the hurricane in the hopes they will change their minds and open it.  :o
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Twik

No, the port that is closed for Hurricane Harvey will not reopen just for your group to board your cruise. I know it's disappointing.

No, you shouldn't drive toward the hurricane in the hopes they will change their minds and open it.  :o

That's so stupid isn't not funny, it's painful.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Customer wanted the librarian (ie- moi) to help her fill out a very long and detailed job application in a language she was not fluent in.

We are currently short staffed. But that is not the reason this goes beyond Special Snowflake and into Harry Potter.

She asked if she could leave it here for me to fill out during my hour off the desk and then pick it up! So she did not just want the occasional translation or clarification. She wanted me to do it for her in its entirety. It was nearly 20 pages long.

I gave her the number of the local workforce alliance.
I have pet mice!

Sirius

There was one time I helped a friend fill out a lengthy civil service application on my typewriter, but she sat right beside me and answered all the questions and did all the researching necessary.  I did the typing because I was a much faster typist, so it didn't take too long.  This was back in the days before computers were widely available.  Unfortunately, she didn't get the job.