News:

• February 18, 2018, 10:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1592396 times)

MissRose

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4530 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
I work for an internet and voice line provider.  We have had many calls asking about restoral of services as the segment I work in services only business customers.  I've had some people get angry because their service was not yet restored due to the recent hurricanes.  First of all, those going off on us had NO power at all.  Second, most of them were in areas where there were things like curfews, down trees, high water etc.   

Our company has since restored services in most affected areas.  There was certainly grumbling at times and I am sure we are not the only provider of such services to have been on the receiving end of customer complaints.  Keep in mind, places like ours and public utilities make sure places like emergency service providers/places/responders and hospitals/medical places get back up first to normal services so they do not have to use any type of back up generators.  A regular business who does not fall in that category is further down the list for priority.

MissRose

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4531 on: November 04, 2017, 07:12:56 AM »
Customer wanted the librarian (ie- moi) to help her fill out a very long and detailed job application in a language she was not fluent in.

We are currently short staffed. But that is not the reason this goes beyond Special Snowflake and into Harry Potter.

She asked if she could leave it here for me to fill out during my hour off the desk and then pick it up! So she did not just want the occasional translation or clarification. She wanted me to do it for her in its entirety. It was nearly 20 pages long.

I gave her the number of the local workforce alliance.

::)  ::)

MissRose

« Reply #4532 on: November 26, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
One of my co-workers had a call from another place regarding a service issue ticket.  The ticket update states that they are waiting on a part to be delivered to a tech who can in turn do the work to resolved the down time for a group of customers.  The caller kept insisting there has to be more details about the part delivery when there is not.  What can we do, pull the part out of thin air to fix the issue especially if the specialty part has to be flown in first??

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #4533 on: December 05, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
So what has a patron or a customer asked YOU for that you simply could not provide?

Just had this. A woman called up and wanted to order a ring with certain stone in it that had shown on the TV show just a few moments before. All fine and dandy except there hadn't anything with that stone shown at all that evening, let alone a ring. I informed her of that and even double-checked with a supervisor just to be sure. But nnnnoooooo....the woman swears up and down that ring had just been shown on TV. I eventually transferred customer to a supervisor who told her the same thing. I guess she thought that if she insisted that ring existed long enough, it would magically appear.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4534 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
So what has a patron or a customer asked YOU for that you simply could not provide?

Just had this. A woman called up and wanted to order a ring with certain stone in it that had shown on the TV show just a few moments before. All fine and dandy except there hadn't anything with that stone shown at all that evening, let alone a ring. I informed her of that and even double-checked with a supervisor just to be sure. But nnnnoooooo....the woman swears up and down that ring had just been shown on TV. I eventually transferred customer to a supervisor who told her the same thing. I guess she thought that if she insisted that ring existed long enough, it would magically appear.

I get the loons that swear we offer x product at y price, only we NEVER have had it at that price or anywhere near that price. When I look them up to see what price they previously paid, of course, they've never been here! Then they swear up and down they have even though I can find ZERO record, not under their name, phone number, any of their relatives, their BF, a billion different phone numbers. Dangit, just admit you went somewhere else!
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4535 on: December 06, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

Holy cow - we just missed the chance to wish this thread a happy ninth birthday!

MyFamily

« Reply #4536 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »

Find out what they were wearing while showing items then - I bet one woman was wearing a ring like you described and the viewer just assumed she could buy it.
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

jpcher

« Reply #4537 on: December 06, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »

Find out what they were wearing while showing items then - I bet one woman was wearing a ring like you described and the viewer just assumed she could buy it.

I'm wondering if the woman was watching a prerecorded episode (DVR?)

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #4538 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
"Me: Uh, nope.  It's no longer in print.  You might be able to find it at a used bookstore like--
Girl: What do you mean, it's not in print?
Me: It means the publisher is no longer printing the book.
Girl: Well, can't you ask them to, you know, make one for me?
Me: . . .

Honestly, what do you say?"

I would give her the publisher's name and address. See how far she gets with that....

Chez Miriam

« Reply #4539 on: December 07, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
"Me: Uh, nope.  It's no longer in print.  You might be able to find it at a used bookstore like--

I would give her the publisher's name and address. See how far she gets with that....

My version:

Me: Oh, it's no longer in print?  That's a shame.  Could you tell me the publisher, please?
Bookstore lady: It's Hutchinson, at <address>.
Me: Thank you very much. :)
---
Me: <writes to Hutchinson> Could you tell me if you intend to reprint this book?
Hutchinson: <an actual person writes back> No, sorry.
---
Me: <waits a decade or so for someone to invent eBay, sets up search on eBay, eventually someone lists book, bids, wins> Yippee!

;D ;D ;D

I've since bought the "Concise Larousse Gastronomique" (nearly 6cm/2" thick, weights~3kg/6lb 10oz)*, but it doesn't fit in a handbag like the long-desired "Dictionary of Cuisine French". ;D

I'm pretty sure my version is the 'correct' way. ;)

* The full version was and is about four times the size, IIRC.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

rose red

« Reply #4540 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

Reminds me of a NotAlwaysRight(?) story about a customer who think the cashier has the power to contact Carrie Underwood and her studio to pull all her CDs, rerecord her hit song with correct grammar, and put the new version on the shelves.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:55:16 AM by rose red »

otterwoman

« Reply #4541 on: December 07, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »

I have written to a publisher about a no-longer in print book. They wrote back and told me that while they were not going to be doing another run, they would be making it available as a PDF. Still waiting...

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #4542 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Project Gutenberg - for your country - lots of good older fiction and some "antique" or "vintage" science or non-fiction - even early science fiction and fantasy (from its roots as fairy tales & folklore).  A small donation helps keep them open and there are lots & lots of good stuff hidden in there.

Who knew that there was a whole series of books about the Scarlet Pimpernel, not just the one???
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4543 on: December 08, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
Who knew that there was a whole series of books about the Scarlet Pimpernel, not just the one???

I did! But I'm a dork.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4544 on: December 08, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »
Project Gutenberg - for your country - lots of good older fiction and some "antique" or "vintage" science or non-fiction - even early science fiction and fantasy (from its roots as fairy tales & folklore).  A small donation helps keep them open and there are lots & lots of good stuff hidden in there.

Baroness Orczy also wrote a set of nice detective stories about "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.