Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 719567 times)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
I just had the (hopefully last) surgery in a series of surgeries on my badominal wall and intestines.  Administration knew all about this, time off was schedules as I (somehow) still have plenty of sick time.  It was made very clear that I would be unavailable for the entire time I was out.  I made sure that grades were in, parents who needed to be were contacted, and I had verifications pulled, talked to the sub, so on and so forth.

Surgery was last Tuesday.  Due to the need for really good pain control, I have been in a Vicodin induced fog (and how does House function again?) from that Tuesday until I tapered it off on Saturday as things had settled up enough for me to start moving a little.  I turn my phone on and what do I get? 7 meesages from the school concerning things that had either already been handled or there was nothing I could do about.  Sub didn't show on Thursday. Why are you calling me?  There are 2 vp's as well as a principal. Handle it.  I will not be dragging my stapled and surgical glue held together self in.  As it is, I'm only nonmedicated enought to go potty and make tea, and that involves a lot of shuffling and moaning.

I guess you're talking about your cell-phone, or home land-line, as opposed to a work phone number?  That's really inexcusable, when you've already handled everything ahead of time or have delegated others.

But re work - sometimes people just plain don't listen.  I had to take a sudden LOA in December and was amazed as to the number of customers, as well as off-site co-workers, who didn't listen to the greeting.  It clearly stated that I was on a LOA of uncertain length and gave my supervisor's number as an alternate contact.  It couldn't have been clearer - yet people still left voicemails.  At least I didn't have to deal with them when I got back - my boss can get into my voicemail box and did deal with them herself.  I got emails as well but those are understandable - in our system, the sender doesn't get the automatic "out-of-office-reply" until the person has actually sent the message.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Some things never change, it seems!  It's been years since my library days, and back then we'd have patrons ask for books by colour or by an obscure story-line, thinking we were all-knowing genie-librarians!

"Yes, just let me wave my hand, and *poof!* - there you go!"

Yes, I get that one, too.  Usually it's more like "It has a picture of a light bulb on the cover."  More detail, but still not very helpful!

Although I was delighted the day we got The Green Book in.  I was just waiting for someone to ask for it, because for the first time I'd have no trouble answering such a request!  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Luci

• Super Hero!
Still off topic and on the other hand, and pre-Amazon: I went to a large chain book store that has since gone out of business (Crown?). I knew exactly what children's books I wanted, authors, titles, publishers, and even the cover art. (I was a school librarian.) A service person asked if she could help me and I explained what I was looking for and would be glad to find them myself but I couldn't figure out how the primary books were organized. She said, "By size just so they look good." I said my thanks in stunned disbelief, turned around and had a great time at Barnes and Noble.

So, as a patron,  searching for books through hundreds of books of a size was not going to happen!

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Still off topic and on the other hand, and pre-Amazon: I went to a large chain book store that has since gone out of business (Crown?). I knew exactly what children's books I wanted, authors, titles, publishers, and even the cover art. (I was a school librarian.) A service person asked if she could help me and I explained what I was looking for and would be glad to find them myself but I couldn't figure out how the primary books were organized. She said, "By size just so they look good." I said my thanks in stunned disbelief, turned around and had a great time at Barnes and Noble.

So, as a patron,  searching for books through hundreds of books of a size was not going to happen!

That requires a place in the "conversations that make your brain hurt" thread ???
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Clair Seulement

Twelve years ago I worked at a large chain bookstore that opened at 9 am. A guy called the store around 10 am one day, saying he was looking for a book. "OK Sir! Do you know the title and author?" He says, "I don't know the title or the author, but it was just on the Today Show a little while ago." Well, I thought, I am at work here, I haven't been watching the Today Show. Gently pressed, the caller could come up with nothing else helpful enough to yield any results in what meager catalog search we were able to perform in the store at the time (this was before we had internet or smart phones that would enable us to see who'd been on Good Morning America, and before one could rewind their cable box DVR).

Similar things happened fairly often. I could never understand how, if you found a book so compelling-sounding that you immediately sought it out, you could fail to retain even a single useful detail about the product!

I had to check that I hadn't written the above in a multiple-personality moment!  I used to work in a mall bookstore twenty years ago.  One morning, a woman sailed in and demanded "that book they were talking about on the radio right now".  When pressed, she couldn't give any details as to name of book, author, subject of book, or even on what radio station she'd heard about it!  All she knew was that it was a "big book" and that "it's red".

I gently informed her that I really needed more information to be able to help her, as I didn't recall any big red books off the top of my head.  "Well, you should know about books they're going to talk about on the radio!  How stupid are you?" she sniffed, and flounced out.  Yeah, lady, we sort our books by colour and size and we always know if an author is on a tour pushing his/her book...  ::)

Customers like her are one of the many, many reasons that I do not work retail anymore.

It's great to commiserate, is it not? Why would you remember the cover color and nothing else? It's the type of thing no one would believe me about when it happened (except my co-workers of course).

Usually cover art is distinctive and you can remember it. For example I collect books from several authors. i don't always know if I have a title but I can tell by looking at the cover if it is one I have or not. I can remember the cover art a lot easier then the writing on the cover.

Absolutely, but this person was listening about the book on the radio!

Clair Seulement

No they are all out of print
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2012/0314/Encyclopedia-Britannica-puts-an-end-to-print-publishing

And even back then, we didn't have one in the store anyway! (I guess you could really only get them from travelling salesmen).

I wonder if that guy ever learned to use the internet. Or where the library was...

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!

I can just imagine a bizarro world conversation in this place:

Customer: I'm looking for "Illustrated Fairy Tales" by The Brothers Grimm.
Employee: Hmm... I'm going to need some more information. Can you tell me the size?
Customer: Excuse me?
Employee: The size; you know, is it 8"x10"? 9"x12"?
Customer: I-- I don't know, I just found the information online.
Employee: How about the color? Sometimes we can find books by the color of their cover...

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

I can't imagine why on earth they went out of business...

AdakAK

Usually cover art is distinctive and you can remember it. For example I collect books from several authors. i don't always know if I have a title but I can tell by looking at the cover if it is one I have or not. I can remember the cover art a lot easier then the writing on the cover.

Yes!  I hate it when they change the cover art and I think I've somehow found a book I missed written by a favorite author, only to start reading it and realize it's just new art.   >:( 

On topic was the man screaming at the office staff of our Dr's office.  His child went for a well child visit, and the Dr discovered an ear infection.  His insurance doesn't cover well visits, but does cover sick visits.  He wanted them to change the coding, since she was sick, even though he didn't know it.  Well visits are more time and cost more, so they explained that they'd have to ask the Dr if she was ok with it.  He would not stop yelling at them "But she had an ear infection!"  I was standing as far away as I possibly could but he repeated everything they said at max volume.  :/  Sadly, I would be willing to bet you money if he came in and explained that he had no coverage for a well visit, that our Dr would be willing to do the extra checks during a sick visit.  She's really, really nice and willing to work things so you aren't out $$$ because of how your insurance works.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
In my job I keep good records.   They come in very handy; last year, about six months after I'd started working for a new account, I got a call from my boss.  Apparently the former account was looking for one particular dictation, and the records showed that I had transcribed it.  My records showed that I had been unable to transcribe the dictation because it had been inaudible, and that I had notified the client of this.  My boss was thrilled; she said, "Thank goodness you keep good records!" 

Years ago a PA who came into my cubicle years ago and asked for a reprint of a dictation he had done.  He couldn't remember the name of the patient, or the date or type of dictation - he just knew he had done it.  Fortunately he hadn't dictated many, so it wasn't that hard to track down, and I accused him of breaking my crystal ball (a cheap paperweight sitting on my desk that looked like a crystal ball that had been dropped from a great height.)  At least his was easier to track down than the phone message I got that said, "When is my dictation going to be ready?"  That was it - no name, no department, nothing.     

BB-VA

I can't imagine why on earth they went out of business...

Actually, it was due to a massive family battle.  I don't know if anything is left of the Haft family empire. (Crown Books, Dart Drug, Trak Auto,  Total Wine)

It's a shame, in a way.  Crown Books did have GREAT discounts.   I went to browse, and I had no problems.  However, if I were in Luci45's shoes, I probably would have run screaming from the building.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

snowflake

A couple of years ago I talked to someone who HAD to get in touch with a past employee.

Our conversation was several rounds of:

Her: You're making it very difficult to get through to you.  This is a very important matter and I need her contact information NOW.
Me: I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but she passed away from cancer last year.

She would continue to insist that I didn't understand and that I was being obstructionist.  She asked to speak to the manager (which was myself.)  Honestly, woman!  If there was someone else who could deal with you, I'd have passed you off without a second thought!

I don't think she expected me to be Harry Potter because even in Harry Potter they can't bring back the dead. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
A couple of years ago I talked to someone who HAD to get in touch with a past employee.

Her: You're making it very difficult to get through to you.  This is a very important matter and I need her contact information NOW.
Me: I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but she passed away from cancer last year.

She would continue to insist that I didn't understand and that I was being obstructionist.  She asked to speak to the manager (which was myself.)  Honestly, woman!  If there was someone else who could deal with you, I'd have passed you off without a second thought!

I don't think she expected me to be Harry Potter because even in Harry Potter they can't bring back the dead.
Did you actually use the word DEAD?  Maybe she didn't understand the euphemism "passed away" and though the woman had just quit?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Not so much an impossible customer request as an impossible boss request.

Big big boss is going on a "Tidy up the office" rampage this week. That means that he just spent five minutes stomping around our office grumping at everyone about how untidy our desks were and he want these desks clean. NOW.

Dear boss, you can have one of two things: Me with all my necessary work notes spread around the desk in front of me so I can reference them as I work, or me with a completely bare desk and completely unable to do any work at all. Which would you prefer?

I live in a Dilbert cartoon.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MrTango

Did you actually use the word DEAD?  Maybe she didn't understand the euphemism "passed away" and though the woman had just quit?

At some point, I probably would have lost it and said "Ma'am"...waited for silence and then proceeded very slowly..."She is dead.  She died.  She is no longer alive.  She. Is. Dead."

Probably not polite, but if she hadn't gotten the point up until then...