Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689799 times)

otterwoman

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2475 on: September 07, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
My mother noticed my car making a noise when riding in it but it went away recently.  She said take to the dealer anyways, but I said its not doing it now, I cannot ask them to fix something that isn't happening that would not be good.  I took it a few days later when the problem presented itself fully and it was fixed under warranty.

Glad you were able to get it fixed! Usually when things make scary noises/do weird things around here, I can never get it to happen again when a professional is present.

Isn't that a corollary to Murphy's Law?
When a broken appliance is demonstrated for the repairman, it will work perfectly.

From http://www.murphys-laws.com/

Years ago, someone sent a story to Reader's Digest about a computer that acted up when the owner used it, but worked perfectly for the tech. As a joke, the tech taped a picture of himself himslf inside the case. The computer worked fine ever since.

I repaired photo lab equipment. I had a machine that only worked when I was standing next to it. If I left the building it was stop working. I DID tape a picture of me to the side of it. And it DID work properly for over a year like that, until the district manager ripped the picture down after I moved from the area. A week later, the machine broke again. The new repair person couldn't get it to work. Ever again. It was removed from the store a year later, still broken.

faithlessone

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2476 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
My mother noticed my car making a noise when riding in it but it went away recently.  She said take to the dealer anyways, but I said its not doing it now, I cannot ask them to fix something that isn't happening that would not be good.  I took it a few days later when the problem presented itself fully and it was fixed under warranty.

Glad you were able to get it fixed! Usually when things make scary noises/do weird things around here, I can never get it to happen again when a professional is present.

When a broken appliance is demonstrated for the repairman, it will work perfectly.

That law also applies to finding things. No matter how long or carefully you look for something, the person you ask to help you will find the thing in five seconds flat. In a really obvious place.

LEMon

« Reply #2477 on: September 07, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »

That law also applies to finding things. No matter how long or carefully you look for something, the person you ask to help you will find the thing in five seconds flat. In a really obvious place.
... that you are absolutely, positively certain you checked ... twice.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2478 on: September 07, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

... that you are absolutely, positively certain you checked ... twice.

Shhh!!! Don't tell people that! Some of the new people at work are convinced that I have a magic touch, just because I can find things.

I don't tell them that half of it is blind luck - and the other half is knowing where I found it last time!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2479 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
I had a car that made a noise, and I took the car in several times and nobody could ever duplicate it.  Turned out to be an issue that only showed when the car was cold.  Of course, if I drove it in, by the time I got there, it was warmed up and the noise was gone.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2480 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
I had a car that made a noise, and I took the car in several times and nobody could ever duplicate it.  Turned out to be an issue that only showed when the car was cold.  Of course, if I drove it in, by the time I got there, it was warmed up and the noise was gone.
Mine would shudder on accelerating, but only if you accelerated slowly and smoothly.  If you got in and tromped on the accelerator (as most men do), guess what didn't happen?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2481 on: September 08, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
I have learned that every computer has a 'spot'.

This is usually right beside the regular user.
When the computer acts up, the user tries - several times - all the proper steps to fix the problem.

Someone comes over to help and see what the problem is.
The new person stand on 'the spot'.

The computer problem is instantly resolved.

shadowfox79

« Reply #2482 on: September 08, 2012, 02:16:17 AM »

After KwikFit replaced two of my tyres, the car started making a knocking noise when I turned left.

KwikFit claimed they couldn't reproduce the problem. In their garage. So not going round any left turns.   ::)

To make it even more annoying, it turned out to be their fault, but they did nothing but fob me off until DH came in with me and then they fell all over him.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2483 on: September 08, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »

After KwikFit replaced two of my tyres, the car started making a knocking noise when I turned left.

KwikFit claimed they couldn't reproduce the problem. In their garage. So not going round any left turns.   ::)

To make it even more annoying, it turned out to be their fault, but they did nothing but fob me off until DH came in with me and then they fell all over him.

Years ago, I was getting this weird engine knocking.  I took my car in and described it. First guy couldn't find anything wrong with my car at all. I took it to a different place.  Another mechanic popped his head into take a look and came out with some tool that had been left in it when my battery had been changed out.   :o

The noise magically stopped.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Hillia

« Reply #2484 on: September 08, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I am convinced that computers like to go on vacation.  I used to handle all hardware/software issues for my department.  If I couldn't fix something at the customer's desk, I would bring it back to my office...where it would immediately begin working perfectly, and continue working perfectly when it went 'home'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeEater

« Reply #2485 on: September 10, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »
I am convinced that computers like to go on vacation.  I used to handle all hardware/software issues for my department.  If I couldn't fix something at the customer's desk, I would bring it back to my office...where it would immediately begin working perfectly, and continue working perfectly when it went 'home'.

;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2486 on: September 10, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »

;D

I took one to Orlando with me - but I left it at the resorit, as I wasn't sure how it would handle Islands of Adventure at Universal.

It is still working - so I guess it didn't get its feelings hurt.

The other computer was sent on a more luxurious cruise back to the factory repair center for a new motherboard - it is behaving quite nicely, too.  But with a new motherboard, it really should be!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Madam Pansy

« Reply #2487 on: September 10, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »

When I was in High School I was responsible for cooking dinner as I was home first most days. There were times I could not find something that I needed to use for dinner so I would call my mom at work and ask her- almost every time I called I found it either as the phone was ringing or as soon as I asked her where it was.

katcheya

« Reply #2488 on: September 10, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »

When I was in High School I was responsible for cooking dinner as I was home first most days. There were times I could not find something that I needed to use for dinner so I would call my mom at work and ask her- almost every time I called I found it either as the phone was ringing or as soon as I asked her where it was.

Recent case 1: I went out to do groceries.  After getting everything I needed, I hopped into the car, and it would not.  I tried for 10 minutes to get the darn thing to go, but it wouldn't, so I called our roadside assistance.  It took them over an hour to get there.  The tow truck guy asked me to try starting it, and of course it started like a champ.

Recent case 2: I brought brownies to a bonfire party.  Late in the evening, a snack plate was served to each of the small children.  My host's son (5 y.o.) had a brownie on his plate.  He's chatting away with the other kids and suddenly notices his brownie is missing!  He looks at the plate, looks on the ground to see if it fell; no go.  He starts yelling at his mom that someone stole his brownie!!!  She promptly replied that he was holding it in his hand.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2489 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »

Occasionally we have problems with our computers, and DH, someone who can build computers and troubleshoot almost anything, after trying everything he can think of, will give up in disgust and declare that we must need to replace some expensive part. (It's never a cheap part.) I say "Turn it off and let it rest a while" and he'll argue that rest won't fix whatever problem it has. But sure enough, nine times out of ten the computer starts right up after sitting for a few hours. These are not overheating problems, either, but putting the computer in time out does work sometimes. And if time out doesn't work, thumping it is worth a shot.  ;D