Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 661811 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2490 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:11 AM »
I am convinced that computers like to go on vacation.  I used to handle all hardware/software issues for my department.  If I couldn't fix something at the customer's desk, I would bring it back to my office...where it would immediately begin working perfectly, and continue working perfectly when it went 'home'.

Occasionally we have problems with our computers, and DH, someone who can build computers and troubleshoot almost anything, after trying everything he can think of, will give up in disgust and declare that we must need to replace some expensive part. (It's never a cheap part.) I say "Turn it off and let it rest a while" and he'll argue that rest won't fix whatever problem it has. But sure enough, nine times out of ten the computer starts right up after sitting for a few hours. These are not overheating problems, either, but putting the computer in time out does work sometimes. And if time out doesn't work, thumping it is worth a shot.  ;D

The technical term is "percussive maintenance". I'm a great believer, myself.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Garden Goblin

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2491 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
The volatile memory has to clear, which is why turning it off and then back on fixes a lot of problems.  In some cases that doesn't happen unless the computer is off for longer than a few seconds or may even require actually being unplugged.   I heard a hypothesis a while back regarding static electricity or something keeping the memory active and motherboards with slight imperfections regarding how the power supply is wired , but never followed up on that.

Also, there are little gremlins that live in our computers and like to mess with us.  Regular sacrifices of liberal arts majors keeps them happy. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2492 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
The volatile memory has to clear, which is why turning it off and then back on fixes a lot of problems.  In some cases that doesn't happen unless the computer is off for longer than a few seconds or may even require actually being unplugged.   I heard a hypothesis a while back regarding static electricity or something keeping the memory active and motherboards with slight imperfections regarding how the power supply is wired , but never followed up on that.

Also, there are little gremlins that live in our computers and like to mess with us.  Regular sacrifices of liberal arts majors keeps them happy. 

They like chocolate - but no crumbs in the keyboard and chocolate milk seems to inspire them to worse antics - especially if spilled on the computer.  I recommend dark chocolate M & Ms - so no crumbs, spills are easily picked up, and the gremlins are happy (and so are you).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moonie

« Reply #2493 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »
Our office deals with vehicle registration. Ever since the state installed a new system, all "title" transactions are cut off at 2 p.m.. This has been going on since May. Every day from 2 p.m. till closing (5 p.m.) customers come in past no fewer than 3 different signs that say "Title work will not be processed after 2 p.m.".  They still say they didn't know about it.

Last week a gentlelman came in after 2, and would not take my word that we could not help him that day. He complained that it wasn't HIS fault that his car was at the tow lot....it wasn't HIS fault that he had to go to court. I repeated that I was sorry, but we cut off title work at 2, and he would have to come back another day. He said, "Isn't there something you can do?" I replied, "Sir, in order to help you I would have to have the ability to turn back time, and I just can't do that."  He asked for a supervisor, and she told him the same thing.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2494 on: September 11, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Our office deals with vehicle registration. Ever since the state installed a new system, all "title" transactions are cut off at 2 p.m.. This has been going on since May. Every day from 2 p.m. till closing (5 p.m.) customers come in past no fewer than 3 different signs that say "Title work will not be processed after 2 p.m.".  They still say they didn't know about it.

Last week a gentlelman came in after 2, and would not take my word that we could not help him that day. He complained that it wasn't HIS fault that his car was at the tow lot....it wasn't HIS fault that he had to go to court. I repeated that I was sorry, but we cut off title work at 2, and he would have to come back another day. He said, "Isn't there something you can do?" I replied, "Sir, in order to help you I would have to have the ability to turn back time, and I just can't do that."  He asked for a supervisor, and she told him the same thing.

I feel for them though. If I showed up at the DMV (or what have you) and saw the sign, it would probably be the first time I had heard about it. So, I can see being upset.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2495 on: September 11, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

This liberal arts major just buys her computer presents. A new wireless mouse. A wireless track pad. A special stand with extra USB ports. A remote to control DVDs. Skype so it can make friends with other computers. Pretty soon, an upgrade  on the OS.

Along with regular dusting of the screen, gentle pats and lots of compliments. Bestest little computer in the whole wide world.

Hey, it works for me.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2496 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »

I'm glad somebody else uses this term! An engineer at my old job - who was very fussy about 'his' equipment - told us to do this on a particular hard drive (to my great surprise). It was the first time I'd ever heard it but I've used it ever since.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2497 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

This liberal arts major just buys her computer presents. A new wireless mouse. A wireless track pad. A special stand with extra USB ports. A remote to control DVDs. Skype so it can make friends with other computers. Pretty soon, an upgrade  on the OS.

Along with regular dusting of the screen, gentle pats and lots of compliments. Bestest little computer in the whole wide world.

Hey, it works for me.

I even bought my laptop another laptop as a "friend" (don't tell it that it really a "spare" - since I'm on the spare right now, the first laptop doesn't know about it).  I hope.

Actually, not even a spare - I bought a used laptop that came in with a failing graphics card just before vacation.  I was able to track down that the particular make & model had an extended warranty period - and that I had run a diagnostic test on the laptop on the company's website - before the end of the warranty period - documenting that it was failing before the warranty expired....three days before I tracked down that it existed.

They fixed it under the extended warranty - praise (fill in the blank here).

But I had already ordered a second laptop of the same make & model so that I wouldn't have to go on a trip without a working laptop (VorGuy doesn't share laptops and I had a LOT of stuff I wanted to do - update ereader, play Solitaire, check email, check local tv listings, print off tickets to tourist attractions that had been bought on-line, track the repair of Laptop #1, and the delayed delivery of Laptop #2, which came in after we crossed the Texas border on I-10 heading east...

I did get it working for trip #2 and came back to find Laptop #1 was here & repaired (new motherboard & new graphics chip). 

Between Ubokia, Craigslist, and the Oodle Marketplace on Facebook - you'd think I could find a buyer for the Spare......but, no.

And I'd rather have a spare than sell it (with a larger hard drive & more RAM) for less than I paid for it in the first place.  Besided - it's a two story house and having a working computer upstairs & down saves my knees from having to climb up or down the stairs to go to a different floor to get to the computer. 

And I know I'll have a working laptop for my once a year major project next week....it was no fun to have to go BUY and set up a new computer three (four?) years ago when my laptop DIED in the middle of the first day of a four day project.  Which took an extra two days due to the need to get a new computer, set up a new computer with the software, run several tests of the installation of the software, and then try to work faster to "catch up".  I no longer try to work faster to catch up because the hurrieder I go the behinder I get.  It takes longer to clean up the mess made by going too fast than it does to take my time and do it properly the first time, every time.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #2498 on: September 11, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »

I'm glad somebody else uses this term! An engineer at my old job - who was very fussy about 'his' equipment - told us to do this on a particular hard drive (to my great surprise). It was the first time I'd ever heard it but I've used it ever since.

I've used it since the 1970s, when NASA ground control told one of the astronauts to give a stuck airlock a whack with a hammer, after all other options had been tried. I figure if it's good for the space program, it would be good enough for me. :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2499 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
I no longer try to work faster to catch up because the hurrieder I go the behinder I get.  It takes longer to clean up the mess made by going too fast than it does to take my time and do it properly the first time, every time.
I used to tell my kids "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2500 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:22 AM »

I've used it since the 1970s, when NASA ground control told one of the astronauts to give a stuck airlock a whack with a hammer, after all other options had been tried. I figure if it's good for the space program, it would be good enough for me. :)

I have no idea where or when I first heard it, but I believe it was sometime back during the dot-com boom days.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2501 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
I am convinced that computers like to go on vacation.  I used to handle all hardware/software issues for my department.  If I couldn't fix something at the customer's desk, I would bring it back to my office...where it would immediately begin working perfectly, and continue working perfectly when it went 'home'.

Occasionally we have problems with our computers, and DH, someone who can build computers and troubleshoot almost anything, after trying everything he can think of, will give up in disgust and declare that we must need to replace some expensive part. (It's never a cheap part.) I say "Turn it off and let it rest a while" and he'll argue that rest won't fix whatever problem it has. But sure enough, nine times out of ten the computer starts right up after sitting for a few hours. These are not overheating problems, either, but putting the computer in time out does work sometimes. And if time out doesn't work, thumping it is worth a shot.  ;D

I always called that 'impact adjustment', and I'm a believer, too.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2502 on: September 12, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
I no longer try to work faster to catch up because the hurrieder I go the behinder I get.  It takes longer to clean up the mess made by going too fast than it does to take my time and do it properly the first time, every time.
I used to tell my kids "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

I've asked my boss on occasion when he's being a butthead "do you want it done, or do you want it done RIGHT?"  which usually makes him back off and let me do my job.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2503 on: September 12, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »

I just love the "I didn't know that" response.  Which I get from customers when I let them know I'm very sorry but I can't take their return as its past the deadline.  And has been 90 days for the last FOUR years.  And is printed on each and every receipt, AND is on signs at the cashwrap. Sorry, but if you weren't aware, that's not my problem.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2504 on: September 12, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »

I always called that 'impact adjustment', and I'm a believer, too.

I always called it "Threaten it with a sledgehammer" but "percussive maintenance" sounds much more professional.  Whatever it's called, our old copy machine was terrified of me.   :P