News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 18, 2017, 05:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1378166 times)

dawnfire

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2535 on: November 10, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
I used to take orders from store owners over the phone for all the stuff drug stores sell.   There was one guy who always asked for "cigarettes in the red package".    I don't smoke, but even if I did, I'd need more than that - size of cigarette, number of packages in the case, and, oh, I dunno - how about a NAME?

Whereupon he'd tell me to "go look on the shelf".  Now, I wasn't allowed to go into our warehouse, and even if I could just leave my desk and go run upstairs, there were certain things that had VERY restricted access.  Cigarettes were one of them.  I'd try to tell him this, and he'd get exasperated, saying "just go check!  How hard is it to go look on the shelf?"

"Since you seem completely incapable of it, you tell me."

That said, I'm guessing Marlboros.

I'd say marlboros too but here most cigarette companies have one product with red packaging, usually indicating their strongest (most amount of nicotine) cigarette.
Whittlesea Victoria

mmswm

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2536 on: November 10, 2012, 02:26:26 AM »
I used to take orders from store owners over the phone for all the stuff drug stores sell.   There was one guy who always asked for "cigarettes in the red package".    I don't smoke, but even if I did, I'd need more than that - size of cigarette, number of packages in the case, and, oh, I dunno - how about a NAME?

Whereupon he'd tell me to "go look on the shelf".  Now, I wasn't allowed to go into our warehouse, and even if I could just leave my desk and go run upstairs, there were certain things that had VERY restricted access.  Cigarettes were one of them.  I'd try to tell him this, and he'd get exasperated, saying "just go check!  How hard is it to go look on the shelf?"

"Since you seem completely incapable of it, you tell me."

That said, I'm guessing Marlboros.

I'd say marlboros too but here most cigarette companies have one product with red packaging, usually indicating their strongest (most amount of nicotine) cigarette.

Marlboros are red and white.  Dorals are solid red.  I'd have guessed Dorals, but Marlboros are more popular.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #2537 on: November 10, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
Trouble is, even if I'd been able to figure out the brand based solely on "red package", I still needed specifics on size, menthol/non-menthol, number of packages in the case, etc. ... and he couldn't tell me THAT, either.

Then there were the customers who apparently didn't realize that light bulbs come in different wattages, because they'd just ask for "light bulbs" and get irritated when I asked for more information.

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #2538 on: November 10, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Wonder if the guy could not read? 

There was a kid book I enjoyed, called "The Little Old man Who Could Not Read" and it detailed the grocery store trip he took on his own when his wife left for a few days.  Everything he bought looked like the right packaging to him, but every box and can was not the food he expected.  He became grumpy, and HUNGRY!

He had only learned color and shape, not the actual words, until he HAD to.  When his wife returned, he was working on learning to read!  And shop!  And feed himself!   ;D

Anyway, wonder if the red cigarette guy was something similar.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

dawnfire

« Reply #2539 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »
I wonder if the cigarettes are for him. most cigarette smokers can rattle off their preferred brand like it was their address.
Whittlesea Victoria

mmswm

« Reply #2540 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Trouble is, even if I'd been able to figure out the brand based solely on "red package", I still needed specifics on size, menthol/non-menthol, number of packages in the case, etc. ... and he couldn't tell me THAT, either.

Then there were the customers who apparently didn't realize that light bulbs come in different wattages, because they'd just ask for "light bulbs" and get irritated when I asked for more information.

Actually, there's sort of a common scheme with cigarettes.  Red boxes are full flavor.  Gold/brown/sometimes blue are lights.  Greens are menthols. Every once in a while, you'll see a blue package that's not quite menthol, but more pepperminty instead. Greys and slivers are ultra-lights.  Camels are the exception to the red=full flavor rule.  I'm not recalling off-hand what color the little tab on the top of the box is.

Of course, there's still the question of size.  Most brands come "short" and "long" sizes.  For the most part, if it's not specified, they want the short ones.  If you want the long ones you generally specifiy "100's" or "99's" (depending on brands).

Regardless of all that he was still being ridiculous with the "red box". Ugh.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #2541 on: November 10, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
I wonder if the cigarettes are for him. most cigarette smokers can rattle off their preferred brand like it was their address.

I missed it in the original post on my first read as well, but the OP of the cigarette post works in an ordering facility and the person asking for the "red box" is trying to order large quantities for his store.

Coruscation

« Reply #2542 on: November 10, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »

This is me shopping for hubby. He sends me to the hardware store for say, No More Gaps. Since I have been shopping for him before I know to ask "What kind?"

Him: How many kinds can there be?

Me: Based on when you sent me for screws there are probably at least ones for wood and metal.

Him : Don't be silly, just get whatever they have.

Me: What do you need it for?

Him: Gaps in the wall boards

I get to the hardware store and there are (I counted) thirteen types of No More Gaps in our small store. I manage to get the right one.

Shalamar

« Reply #2543 on: November 10, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
I missed it in the original post on my first read as well, but the OP of the cigarette post works in an ordering facility and the person asking for the "red box" is trying to order large quantities for his store.

Yep ... And woe betide you if you sent the wrong stuff!   We were NOT allowed to guess.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #2544 on: November 12, 2012, 03:50:50 AM »
I worked for a county library in the UK. The Library I worked for was on the border of the county and people could be members of both county librarys if they chose. It's a free service. Each county has there own set of librarys and they are completely autonomous within that county.

I got a phone call on our late night (every library stayed open till 7PM one night a week)
A lady had rented a DVD from another library and they had left the security lock on it. That library had closed for the night and so she was calling the next library closest to her that was still open to see if we would unlock the case.

This confused me as no library in my county uses locking cases. I explained this and we realized she got it from Other county Library.

Annoying but hay, Except... 

She does not get it. I explained six ways to Sunday, that because we don't lock our DVD's, we have no way to unlock Other library's DVD for her.

Her: But she thought she was allowed a card for our Library. Why wont we unlock it?
Me: See above
Her: But her library is closed
Her:  She knows we don't have anything to do with her library, but no library in her county is open (They don't stay open as late as us.)
Me: see above

This goes on for 20 minutes with her getting more and more annoyed. All I could do was keep apologizing and saying I would love to help, and if we had the means to do it we would unlock it. However we can not as we don't have the key/gadget to unlock it.

In the end she huffed and moaned I was "no help" before hanging up on me.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

MissRose

« Reply #2545 on: November 12, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »
Oh my, what part of that conversation did that patron not get !!!! ??

I worked for a county library in the UK. The Library I worked for was on the border of the county and people could be members of both county librarys if they chose. It's a free service. Each county has there own set of librarys and they are completely autonomous within that county.

I got a phone call on our late night (every library stayed open till 7PM one night a week)
A lady had rented a DVD from another library and they had left the security lock on it. That library had closed for the night and so she was calling the next library closest to her that was still open to see if we would unlock the case.

This confused me as no library in my county uses locking cases. I explained this and we realized she got it from Other county Library.

Annoying but hay, Except... 

She does not get it. I explained six ways to Sunday, that because we don't lock our DVD's, we have no way to unlock Other library's DVD for her.

Her: But she thought she was allowed a card for our Library. Why wont we unlock it?
Her: But her library is closed
Her:  She knows we don't have anything to do with her library, but no library in her county is open (They don't stay open as late as us.)
Me: see above

This goes on for 20 minutes with her getting more and more annoyed. All I could do was keep apologizing and saying I would love to help, and if we had the means to do it we would unlock it. However we can not as we don't have the key/gadget to unlock it.

In the end she huffed and moaned I was "no help" before hanging up on me.

dawbs

« Reply #2546 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »

This is me shopping for hubby. He sends me to the hardware store for say, No More Gaps. Since I have been shopping for him before I know to ask "What kind?"

Him: How many kinds can there be?

Me: Based on when you sent me for screws there are probably at least ones for wood and metal.

Him : Don't be silly, just get whatever they have.

Me: What do you need it for?

Him: Gaps in the wall boards

I get to the hardware store and there are (I counted) thirteen types of No More Gaps in our small store. I manage to get the right one.

Ahh, yes.  I used to work at a small helpful type hardware store.
Me:  "What size do you need"
Customer:  "oh, whatever is standard"
Me:  "I'm afraid they're not standard--do you have the old part?  or do you know what brand/color/size/etc it was?"
Customer:  "No, I just need you to give me what is standard"
Me:  It's most likely X or Y size--X uses standard measurements, Y uses metric--if you had an idea of what brand it was, it would give me an idea of whether or not you need the metric piece.

The end result was usually the wiser people, if they were things like screws (that is, cheap!) buying a variety and throwing the extras in their 'extra screws and bolts' bin at home.  The more likely outcome was them insisting that there was no way that they needed metric--they were good Americans.  THis often ended with an angry return/exchange later in the day.

Luci

« Reply #2547 on: November 12, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
Ahh, yes.  I used to work at a small helpful type hardware store.
Me:  "What size do you need"
Customer:  "oh, whatever is standard"
Me:  "I'm afraid they're not standard--do you have the old part?  or do you know what brand/color/size/etc it was?"
Customer:  "No, I just need you to give me what is standard"

And this is why so many companies make "One size fits all" products. We have never found a shower repair kit or toilet repair kit in that size that actually fits.

We always go in with brand and product number, and whenever an unfortunate person tries to help us and points to the "one size" product because they don't have it, we thank them an leave.

That person has dealt with the clueless so long he's given up, and we are not Harry Potter so we can't force fit the 'one size' repair. (By the way, have you noticed women employees are more likely to know what we need? I think they have to prove their worth, whereas the powers that be just throw a male in because he should automatically know that stuff.)

Thank goodness now for the internet, because after we check out the big home improvement stores, we can get on line and get exactly the part we need from the manufacturer.

MissRose

« Reply #2548 on: November 20, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Background: I had a customer call in at least 3 times today to request secure detail but it cannot be released due to lack of verification then later he is not listed anywhere to be given the detail once he could verify.

Customer: I have verified the account with you, why can't you give me the detail?

Me: We cannot as you are not listed anywhere, is Person Y or Z available, they can verify the account and give consent for you to have the detail.

Customer: No, Person Y is on leave, Person Z doesn't work here.

Me (after consulting with my boss electronically for workarounds which she is not able to do): We are sorry, we cannot do anything yet.    If Person Y can give us a quick contact in some way, and verify then give consent then we can help.  We can have a note on the account after Person Y contacts us then we can make changes.

Customer: I still can't see why you cannot help me.  I've done all you have asked.  *hangs up on me*

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2549 on: November 20, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
I had that happen from the other side, MissRose, when I took over my small (and largely ignored) library.  There was a "Friends of the Library" bank account which hadn't been touched for ten years, but which still had a good chunk of money in it.  The bank was taking out a $5/month fee for inactivity.  I called to find out how I could stop that - depositing apparently didn't count as "activity."  Unfortunately, despite the fact that the account was very clearly for "Friends of XYZ Library" and I was the library manager/sole employee and I had the backing of the mayor and the whole town council, the bank couldn't tell me anything about the account even in general terms because I wasn't on the account.  And they couldn't tell me who was on the account, because I wasn't on the account  :-\  So I had to find two random people from ten years ago without having anything to go on.  I finally found someone who could give me a list of possible names, and I got a sympathetic bank rep who was able to tell me which two on the list were on the bank account - one moved a thousand miles away and the other one died eight years ago.

I fought with the bank for the better part of two years about that account before giving up.  It was only a few hundred dollars in there, but that was about a year's worth of budget for me  :-\