Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 607005 times)

Yarnspinner

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2580 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Also from yesterday...we had a blizzard, but Cassie and this lady were the stand outs...a patron came in eight minutes before we were going to close.  She had papers to fax and we figured, okay, we can do this before we close, no problem. 

Well, first she complained about the cost (We charge a dollar to fax, which is the cheapest rate going: Staples is next cheapest, but most people say to us "I am going to FedEx or UPS, these prices are ridiculous!"  I always wonder what some people think when they get to UPS and are told the cost is three dollars for page one and 1.50 for each additional page.

Anyway, she hands over her fax materials and explains that it MUST go through "You HAVE to send it!  It's due in at 5 p.m. at the state capitol.  It's for a job."

She was quite clear that she had had this material for over two weeks and could have sent it any time in between, but nooooooo, it's more dramatic and exciting to send it in last minute.  (I think some people wait until last minute because they think it's like a radio call in game where,if you are the ninth caller, you win a prize.) 

So I dialed the first of two fax numbers and got...the ear piercing whistle that tells you lines are blocked with callers and then the annoying automatic voice came on to say "All breakers are full.  Please hang up and try later."  I tried both lines that she gave me several times each.  And she WOULD NOT get that I could not keep trying all these lines indefinitely.  We finally gave her h er money back, but she was really angry at us.  Somehow it was our fault that she didn't get here last week or even the day before and it was also our fault, I guess, that the lines were blocked.

I asked my supervisor if I could make up a big sign reading "A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

The good news was:  she provided us with a great story for the staff party we had that night.

KB

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2581 on: December 01, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »
The new packaging rollout for tobacco products has begun in Australia. I had a look when buying a phone recharge card at the tobacco counter and the new packaging is coming into effect, everything tobacco is that dark military green with interestingly gruesome picture warnings on it. I imagine the desk people will be having spirited conversations over what colour a brand was with a customer because the customer can't remember the strength (strength is colour coded to a paticular brand). You have 2 choices, green with an ugly picture or green with an even uglier picture.

What's hysterical is that people are now complaining that cigarettes in plain packaging tastes different from when it was in 'normal' packaging. Really? Cigarette makers change the 'recipe' of their smokes just cos they don't get to use brand-name boxes anymore? Or is more likely that you miss the pretty colours and the 'status' of a particular brand?

SoCalVal

« Reply #2582 on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I used to take orders from store owners over the phone for all the stuff drug stores sell.   There was one guy who always asked for "cigarettes in the red package".    I don't smoke, but even if I did, I'd need more than that - size of cigarette, number of packages in the case, and, oh, I dunno - how about a NAME?

Whereupon he'd tell me to "go look on the shelf".  Now, I wasn't allowed to go into our warehouse, and even if I could just leave my desk and go run upstairs, there were certain things that had VERY restricted access.  Cigarettes were one of them.  I'd try to tell him this, and he'd get exasperated, saying "just go check!  How hard is it to go look on the shelf?"

"Since you seem completely incapable of it, you tell me."

That said, I'm guessing Marlboros.

I'd say marlboros too but here most cigarette companies have one product with red packaging, usually indicating their strongest (most amount of nicotine) cigarette.

Before reading further, my guess is Pall Malls.

sunnygirl

« Reply #2583 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
That's funny - literally in the middle of reading this I got a text from my father regarding Marlboros (they're super expensive due to UK tax so he asks me to bring him back some from abroad). I cannot find anywhere in Beijing selling Marlboros, but I have found a brand that is absolutely covered in pictures of pandas*. Sweet monkey fritters!?? I wonder if people from China ever go into stores when they're abroad and try to find their brand of cigarette... "You know, the panda cigarettes. The ones covered in PANDAS!!"

*Now with 25% more panda.

BarensMom

« Reply #2584 on: December 02, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »
That's funny - literally in the middle of reading this I got a text from my father regarding Marlboros (they're super expensive due to UK tax so he asks me to bring him back some from abroad). I cannot find anywhere in Beijing selling Marlboros, but I have found a brand that is absolutely covered in pictures of pandas*. Sweet monkey fritters!?? I wonder if people from China ever go into stores when they're abroad and try to find their brand of cigarette... "You know, the panda cigarettes. The ones covered in PANDAS!!"

*Now with 25% more panda.

One of my jobs at Evil Oil Company was to help host visitors from other countries, including China.  My duties including going to the Asian markets to find appropriate snack items, including cigarettes.  I couldn't find cigarettes that Chinese clients liked - it seems cigarettes in China are made of stronger tobacco and are usually unfiltered.  They had to settle for original Camels.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2585 on: December 03, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »

If I use my spelling of "Katie" (that is, "Kaiti") I am the only person in the USA with my same first & last name. If I go with Katherine instead, I am one of 28. Cool!

OK, I'm not in the USA, I'm in the UK - but I tried this anyway. And in both my maiden name and my married name there's only me. I gave it the full name I use, Forename Maiden Name Married Name, and it had a conniption fit and fell over so I think it's fair to say there's only me in that too.

Why don't we have this in the UK? That's a cool site!

Kaiti, we must be the Specialest of Special Snowflakes!

Me too! I'm in Australia, there is "1 or fewer" people with my name in the US.
Very cool site!   I am the ONLY person with my name in the whole US.

My DS is the only one with his name in the US as well.

Back on topic, we are having issues with misinformation being told to our students at one of our sites. The person involved actually refused to accept required paperwork from a student. The person suspected of being at fault has already been demoted and on extended probation. I imagine this is the last straw.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:54:42 PM by ladyknight1 »

PeterM

« Reply #2586 on: December 30, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
We just  yesterday had an impossible request from a patron that he managed to grant himself, and I'm thinking it's not a good precedent.

My library does not get nearly as many whacked-out patrons as others do, but we have a few regulars. One is a guy who is just off in a way that no one can quite put a finger on. He's never done anything too out of bounds, but he makes everyone who interacts with him uncomfortable. He's not great with social graces, but that phrase describes at least half of our patrons so it's something else. He just strikes you as one of those people who will someday be described on the news as "He was a quiet man..." but since he's never actually done anything we treat him politely and as patiently as we can.

Part of the problem is he's very, very persistent. He doesn't want to wait his turn, though he will when you point the line out to him, and he seems not to understand the concept of delays or that some things cannot be done right now, this second. Yesterday our internet was down and we had no idea when it would come back up. We knew from talking to other libraries that it was a county-wide problem, but had no official estimate of how long it would take to fix. This guy did not want to hear that. He kept pestering the reference librarian about when it would be fixed, why can't he get online, when would it be fixed, and so on. She finally told him, "It doesn't work. We don't know when it will. You're welcome to try logging on, but the internet is down so it won't do anything." She was hoping him seeing the reservation computer not working right would get it through his head.

So he goes over and moves the Out Of Order sign and of course it turns out the internet has come back up in the literally two minutes since the librarian last checked. This is the perfect example of a guy we did NOT want to teach that persistence pays off, but I'm 100% sure that's the lesson he took away from this. Bah.

MissRose

« Reply #2587 on: January 12, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
Just had a customer that fits this category:

Customer: This item is not working at all, I need it fixed.

Me: Just a moment, I need to review a few things and try a few fixes on my side then let customer I must send up a work ticket as my fixes I have access to did not fix the problem and those who do have access I must send an email to see if they will reply as it is the weekend.

Customer: Can I pay extra to get this item fixed today?

Me: I am sorry, you cannot as the extra payment does not cover the fix you need.

Customer: I need this done now!

Me: I understand, but I cannot get someone at this moment to do the advanced work fix needed.  I must submit the work ticket and then send an email, and await their response as that what we must do on weekends.

Customer: Are you sure I cannot pay extra for the fix now?

Me: I am sorry, no, the extra fee does not cover what you need done, it only allows for X, Y and Z to be done on weekends.

Customer: (realizes she is not going to get me to bend) All right, go ahead and do what you go to do, its important that the work be done soon.

Me: I understand.  (me opens the work ticket with details then gives her the ticket # which she takes)

Joeschmo

« Reply #2588 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »

Me: Just a moment, I need to review a few things and try a few fixes on my side then let customer I must send up a work ticket as my fixes I have access to did not fix the problem and those who do have access I must send an email to see if they will reply as it is the weekend.

Me: I am sorry, you cannot as the extra payment does not cover the fix you need.

Me: I understand, but I cannot get someone at this moment to do the advanced work fix needed.  I must submit the work ticket and then send an email, and await their response as that what we must do on weekends.

Me: I am sorry, no, the extra fee does not cover what you need done, it only allows for X, Y and Z to be done on weekends.

Customer: (realizes she is not going to get me to bend) All right, go ahead and do what you go to do, its important that the work be done soon.

Me: I understand.  (me opens the work ticket with details then gives her the ticket # which she takes)
This is another scenario you've posted that merely sounds like a customer service request.  Have you ever considered other employment options than one so heavily customer service focused?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #2589 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
I have to agree.  Even the customer asking if paying extra can get this fixed immediately doesn't sound like they were being an SS.  They didn't throw a hissy fit, demand if you knew who they were, or any other SS behavior.  They have a widget that may or may not be vital (we can't tell as you gave us so little detail) that needs to be fixed NOW.  I have one of those myself.  If my CPAP machine dies, I can't sleep.  Waking up a dozen times in an hour because your airway has collapsed and you can't breathe is not conducive to restful sleep.  I can't wait until someone can get around to me next week.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #2590 on: January 12, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
I've had a few customers that presented much the same as above - with a side order of the attitude of "you must do it NOW - while I stand on one foot because I need it now and I don't want to wait".  When what they want done is going to take three days.

Kind of like Leroy Jethro Gibbs (or name the TV character of your choice) asking Abby to do the 72 hour lab test and get results in six hours or less because "we need that information NOW"!  It can be done on tv because a writer changes the script - real life; however, is not reel life and it still takes 72 hours to do the 72 hour test.

Yes - I had a couple of people try something similar when I worked in car insurance.  Because they wanted the check to get a NEW car right now even if their car could be fixed for under $1K (and was going to be fixed) and they didn't want to wait for the car to be looked at, repairs to be done, or anything but a check for a NEW car RIGHT now.  Sometimes the words sound "normal" - but the attitude and body language let you know that they will not be happy unless they get their way in the next 60 seconds or less. 

Some customers don't want to hear about "company policy" or even "reality check".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2591 on: January 12, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
I have to agree.  Even the customer asking if paying extra can get this fixed immediately doesn't sound like they were being an SS.  They didn't throw a hissy fit, demand if you knew who they were, or any other SS behavior.  They have a widget that may or may not be vital (we can't tell as you gave us so little detail) that needs to be fixed NOW.  I have one of those myself.  If my CPAP machine dies, I can't sleep.  Waking up a dozen times in an hour because your airway has collapsed and you can't breathe is not conducive to restful sleep.  I can't wait until someone can get around to me next week.

Asking once isn't SS.  Asking again, and again when you've been told "No, it won't cover that" is SS.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #2592 on: January 12, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »

This is another scenario you've posted that merely sounds like a customer service request.  Have you ever considered other employment options than one so heavily customer service focused?

Not only that, I think MissRose has posted a nearly identical situation before - customer requesting work done on the weekend when the necessary staff are not available.   I'm glad the pattern is so noticeable to other posters too - MissRose, no offense to you intended, but there have been a few times when Ive thought that I'm reading an old post by mistake!   "That post by the customer service rep who finds her customers really annoying because they don't know her company's procedures or make her job easy".   I hope for your own peace of mind that you find a different career at some point!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

magician5

« Reply #2593 on: January 12, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

I often read about customers who abandon reason and pitch a fit when they can't get something done right away.

However, the world of technology holds a few surprises the "average Joe" doesn't think of trying.

I used to be incredibly frustrated when encountering the "consumer Big Box store repair squad", when they'd take my machine in and say "there's lots of work ahead of you ... it'll be two weeks to get it to the bench, then we'll see." I learned a lot the day I took it back immediately and sought out an indie repair company ... two days at the most to diagnose and repair, a bit more if they needed an obscure part. I figured there had to be a solution like this. Also, a call to the local independent "hire-a-geek" resulted in a same-day home visit that did the job. The costs were no more than the Big Box Store solution.

Same with phone-line problems: an independent professional put in some new wiring and fixed old problems in a couple of days, cost less than  going through the Big Name Telephone Company bureaucracy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:43:46 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

sunnygirl

« Reply #2594 on: January 12, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
To be fair this isn't the SS thread, and the poster didn't imply the caller was an SS - it's the Impossible Requests thread. It might not be as entertaining as 'I need an actual photo of a dinosaur!" or whatever, but if her company has no way to allow that particular thing, it is still an impossible request. A customer doesn't need to be an SS to make an impossible request.