Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 672110 times)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2595 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
To be fair this isn't the SS thread, and the poster didn't imply the caller was an SS - it's the Impossible Requests thread. It might not be as entertaining as 'I need an actual photo of a dinosaur!" or whatever, but if her company has no way to allow that particular thing, it is still an impossible request. A customer doesn't need to be an SS to make an impossible request.

Yes, but the customer wasn't unreasonable for not knowing the request was impossible.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Lauds

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #2596 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:14 AM »
To be fair this isn't the SS thread, and the poster didn't imply the caller was an SS - it's the Impossible Requests thread. It might not be as entertaining as 'I need an actual photo of a dinosaur!" or whatever, but if her company has no way to allow that particular thing, it is still an impossible request. A customer doesn't need to be an SS to make an impossible request.

Yes, but the customer wasn't unreasonable for not knowing the request was impossible.

They were the second time.

greencat

« Reply #2597 on: January 13, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »

Much like my customers who ask for things like "the big spoons" or unflavored yogurt - it may be reasonable for them to ask for the yogurt, although I'm not sure why they need bigger spoons than the normal sized ones we have out, but these are impossible patron requests, because I simply do not have either unflavored yogurt or spoons between the ones we have out and the serving utensils.  They just aren't the obvious and egregious violations of reality that many other stories in this thread feature (i.e., the people who expect their non-essential delivery to occur on time after a natural disaster has disrupted shipping for the entire region.) The ones that keep asking me for them despite my clear statement that we don't have any in the kitchen are edging into special snowflake territory, though, as did MissRoses' customer in this thread.

Also, telling her that she needs to go into another line of work because of a few isolated complaints on appropriately themed threads is...not exactly in the E-Hell spirit.

BB-VA

« Reply #2598 on: January 13, 2013, 06:24:29 AM »

Much like my customers who ask for things like "the big spoons" or unflavored yogurt - it may be reasonable for them to ask for the yogurt, although I'm not sure why they need bigger spoons than the normal sized ones we have out, but these are impossible patron requests, because I simply do not have either unflavored yogurt or spoons between the ones we have out and the serving utensils.  They just aren't the obvious and egregious violations of reality that many other stories in this thread feature (i.e., the people who expect their non-essential delivery to occur on time after a natural disaster has disrupted shipping for the entire region.) The ones that keep asking me for them despite my clear statement that we don't have any in the kitchen are edging into special snowflake territory, though, as did MissRoses' customer in this thread.

Also, telling her that she needs to go into another line of work because of a few isolated complaints on appropriately themed threads is...not exactly in the E-Hell spirit.

These days, changing jobs isn't the easiest thing to do.  I just started a new job 6 weeks ago, and it took me 11 months of unemployment to find it.   

Would I like to find a new line of work?  You bet!  But I need the job and I am just going to have to stick with it and do the best I can.  It is stable, steady, and pays well - but it is not work I enjoy.

Enjoying the job is secondary, IMO - what counts is doing it well and keeping food on the table, a roof over your head, and paying the bills. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2599 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
In the spirit of impossible things:

On New Year's Eve, my area of the company closed around 3 pm.  I think a couple people volunteered to stay later, but for the most part, everyone left before 3.  At about 2 in the afternoon, I got a call from a claimant asking about their status.  After looking at the notes, I told him we were still in need of additional information from his doctor before we could consider extending their benefits.  He asked how long it would take to review the information once we got it.  I said we normally review everything within three business days, and he informed me that wasn't acceptable.  He said he was going to have his doctor fax us the information today and he wanted it reviewed and his benefits extended immediately, so that his company could get the information for payroll.  I also happened to see that his company's corporate headquarters had closed at noon that day. 

So to review, he called an hour before we closed for the holiday and wanted someone to a) wait around to see if the doctor's office actually sent us information, b) review said information as soon as it came in and c) process an extension (if possible).  All on New Year's Eve, when the corporate headquarters had closed two, possibly three, hours ago, depending on where in the US they were located.  He was very vocal and nasty when I informed him that wasn't possible. 

SoCalVal

« Reply #2600 on: January 13, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »

I thought the unsolicited advice was a bit mean and reminiscent of the forum problems from about 1.5 years ago.  The poster wasn't asking for advice on her job and while commenting on her complaint was fine, telling her then that she needed to find another line of work, I thought, was an "interesting assumption."

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2601 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
Move on, please. No point in arguing over this.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

MissRose

« Reply #2602 on: January 13, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »

On New Year's Eve, my area of the company closed around 3 pm.  I think a couple people volunteered to stay later, but for the most part, everyone left before 3.  At about 2 in the afternoon, I got a call from a claimant asking about their status.  After looking at the notes, I told him we were still in need of additional information from his doctor before we could consider extending their benefits.  He asked how long it would take to review the information once we got it.  I said we normally review everything within three business days, and he informed me that wasn't acceptable.  He said he was going to have his doctor fax us the information today and he wanted it reviewed and his benefits extended immediately, so that his company could get the information for payroll.  I also happened to see that his company's corporate headquarters had closed at noon that day. 

So to review, he called an hour before we closed for the holiday and wanted someone to a) wait around to see if the doctor's office actually sent us information, b) review said information as soon as it came in and c) process an extension (if possible).  All on New Year's Eve, when the corporate headquarters had closed two, possibly three, hours ago, depending on where in the US they were located.  He was very vocal and nasty when I informed him that wasn't possible.

Oh my!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2603 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I had someone ask me for a "bundle" of services at my last job (car insurance) that was simply not available in that combination (you had to get more services to add what they wanted and they used a meaningless term for what they wanted).  "Full service" contract or some such thing - it's been ten years since I worked there...

I compared it to getting mad because they'd ordered a McDonald's Happy Meal and it came without an ice cream cone - if they wanted a kid's meal combination that came with an ice cream cone, they had to go to a different hamburger chain and order that combination (Dairy Queen has one - I forget who else might). 

There were a few people who asked what term they should use to get the additional service that they wanted - others kept insisting that they had ordered that service by that term and they should get it, even though it wasn't available and we didn't use a term remotely resembling what they were saying.  The telling part was that they couldn't tell me what was supposed to be in the "full service" insurance contract - but it always seemed that it involved any service that they wanted and weren't getting........because they hadn't paid for it or because we didn't have that option at all.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RoseRose

« Reply #2604 on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »
My favorite impossible patron requests?  I work in tech support.  To fix issues, I usually have to have customers go through various troubleshooting steps.  You wouldn't believe how many people tell me they don't want to do anything, they just want me to fix it.  Typically, I'm in a completely different STATE than the customer, and we don't have the ability to just "fix" most things.

Then there are the times where it IS something on the back end, where I need to send it to the people who work on back end things (and have other responsibilities).  It takes 24 hours for those kinds of requests under most circumstances.  I have customers who flip out at this, and insist, after I've told them this is what is necessary, that I fix it instantaneously.  I don't have the access needed to fix the issue.  There is literally no way for me to make it happen faster.  The 24 hour time is the shortest for anything that is not a direct safety hazard for any kind of response.  Sometimes they respond quicker, and on weekends it can be slower (it's technically 1 business day, but the department usually works weekends, but holidays can throw it off, and weekends can take a day and a half).

I'm good, I can fix a lot of things quickly.  I'm GOOD at my job.  I get very frustrated at people who tell me I don't know how to do my job because there is no way to do what they want instantaneously.  I am not magical.

Cami

« Reply #2605 on: January 13, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »

We have stopped answering the phone five minutes before closing due to people like this. We actually kept track for a month and 99% of all callers who called in the last 5 minutes were people with complicated problems requiring hours of work, who wanted them solved IMMEDIATELY and got nasty when we told them it was impossible. The remaining 1% were wrong numbers.  I'm not kidding. I'll also add that none of these problems were remotely close to life and death and waiting until 8am the next day would have had no actual effect upon them.

alkira6

« Reply #2606 on: January 13, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Oh, yes, impossible things -

This year our discrict adopted new English Language textbooks.  When they arrived, teachers were given 35 as a classroom set and told to keep them in the room, that new ones would arrive to assign to students in 2-3 weeks. We waited, and waited, and waited - September, October, November, and December passed, no textbooks.  The impossible thing we had to deal with? The principal being reprimanded and told to reprimand teachers who had not assigned books.  I don't know about anyone else, but I do not have a printing press up my behind to print copies of this book.

Also, reprimanded by the district for not giving students online access to the texts online.  You (the district) have not paid for this. You have a habit of not paying bills once you have something in your hands.  Why would these people give you access to something you HAVE NOT paid for?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2607 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Not so much as impossible, but perhaps not well thought out.

While I am well educated in my own field, I am *not* educated in the technical area my company practices.
That is why I answer phones and do admin support behind the scenes. :D

The other day I answered the phone and the caller politely identified himself and his firm and then proceeded to ask an extremely technical question about how to hook up expensive widget into MultiMillion$$ plnt.  : :o

My answer would have been on the technical level of "You put your right foot in...you do the Hokey Pokey..." :P

I just asked him for the information that let me direct the call to the correct person.

Like I said, not an impossible request, just not possible for me! :)

Garden Goblin

« Reply #2608 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
My favorite impossible request -

Them: 'Hi, I need you to walk me through task on the computer.'
Me: 'Okay, do ____ and tell me what you see on the screen'
Them: 'Oh, I'm not at my computer/home/etc....'
Me: :::headdesk:::

Catananche

« Reply #2609 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
I did tech support for a while and (besides the 'normal' strange calls) this one was the best ever.

Note: ... indicates his voice trailing off
Me: Hello, techsupport, this is Catananche. How can I help you today?
Man: Yes, I have a problem with my wireless modem...
Me: Yes? What seems to be the problem?
Man: I ordered a wireless modem...
Me: Yes? <thinking "Give me something to work with please!">
Man: It has wires and I'm really upset about it!
Me: <he's gotta be kidding me!> Sir, the modem needs wires, it's made so you can use your computer without wires. It's really neat!
Man: NO!!! A WIRELESS MODEM DOESN'T HAVE WIRES! IT'S WIRELESS!!!!!! I WANT A WIRELESS MODEM!
Me: I'm sorry, but <my company> doesn't have wireless modems, we have modems that can be used for wireless internet. I can help you installing the modem you have?
Man: NO! WIRELESS!!!! WIRELESS!!! WIRELEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! <click>
Me:  :o What did just happen?