News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 07:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1513134 times)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
-Someone wanted a whole muffaletta (which is a giant sandwich the size of a dinner plate), but instead of bread, they wanted it wrapped in lettuce. Ok...maybe this can be done...but they asked if we could cut it in to pinwheels so they could serve it as party food. So physically impossible.

I dunno, lay out some lettuce, layer it with meats and olive salad, roll, stab with millions of toothpicks and slice. Probably a bit messy, but if you used a minimal amount of olive salad it might work.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Katana_Geldar

Yes, but that's not only time wasted that could be done doing something else it lets the SS that asked for it know you're willing to cater to different demands.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
-Someone wanted a whole muffaletta (which is a giant sandwich the size of a dinner plate), but instead of bread, they wanted it wrapped in lettuce. Ok...maybe this can be done...but they asked if we could cut it in to pinwheels so they could serve it as party food. So physically impossible.

I dunno, lay out some lettuce, layer it with meats and olive salad, roll, stab with millions of toothpicks and slice. Probably a bit messy, but if you used a minimal amount of olive salad it might work.

I don't know about YOUR lettuce, but I've never seen lettuce that would wrap around something dinner plate sized....  I've seen lettuce leaves that could do a burger bun thing, top and bottom, but not wrap around.  Do you live in Alaska and grow those gigantic veggies I used to see pictures of?!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

selkiewoman

I work in a quilt shop, and I frequently get customers looking for a particular fabric they purchased from us months or even years ago.  There is a core of fabrics we call 'blenders' because, well, that's what they do - they fit with many fabric lines and help pull your quilt together.  They tend to stick around for a long time.  But the cute fabric with purple and green dinosaurs or kitties playing pool - 4 to 6 months tops at our store.  Sometimes it is no longer available for reorder, sometimes we just need to make room for newer and fresher fabrics, and the older lines wind up reduced on the flatfold table.  So if you love chevrons or black and lime green, buy it while it is in style, because it may not be so easy to find when it isn't.

Jocelyn

I don't know about YOUR lettuce, but I've never seen lettuce that would wrap around something dinner plate sized....  I've seen lettuce leaves that could do a burger bun thing, top and bottom, but not wrap around.  Do you live in Alaska and grow those gigantic veggies I used to see pictures of?!
Lay down several overlapping leaves. If you roll them in the right direction, they'll stay together.

MissRose

I am overhearing a Harry Potter situation from someone sitting near me:

Customer needs a technician to fix his internet lines onsite and has an open ticket.  The recent note mentions the tech is not allowed on site at the moment due to a recent fire that was put out in his building.  I am not sure what part of "we cannot override the fire marshal and emergency services are not letting anyone inside the building" at this time.  At least my co-worker is offering to make the update to the ticket and escalate it even if the tech is not allowed yet into the building to fix the issue.

Margo

Not a patron request but similar to the last story - My sister had a similar conversation with the Landlady of the house she lived in as a student. The kitchen had a gas cooker, and my sister and her housemates turned off the gas and called the emergency gas line after an incident involving a sheet of flame shooting out from the back of the hob when they tried to light one of the rings. (as the size of the flame made them think that there must be a leak, for there to be that much gas around when the cooker had not been turned on)

The gasman who came out apparently turned white as a sheet after inspecting the cooker. He then physically disconnected it from the gas supply, wrapped it round with tape marked 'condemned' and advised them both verbally and in writing that the cooker was extremely unsafe, and under no circumstances should it be reconnected to the mains, or used in any way, unless it was first repaired by a qualified gas engineer and re-inspected. He also told them that he did not think it was likely to be worth trying to repair it, due to its age and the extent of the faults.

When they were able to get hold of the landlady her response was to tell them to "use the other three rings". After having been told that the entire appliance had been disconnected and condemned) She went as far as to suggest that my sister and her housemates should reconnect it so they could use the other three rings.. Even after they explained that that would be illegal.

In the end, I think it was about 2 weeks before she finally agreed to replace the cooker.

asb8

Customer needs a technician to fix his internet lines onsite and has an open ticket.  The recent note mentions the tech is not allowed on site at the moment due to a recent fire that was put out in his building.  I am not sure what part of "we cannot override the fire marshal and emergency services are not letting anyone inside the building" at this time.  At least my co-worker is offering to make the update to the ticket and escalate it even if the tech is not allowed yet into the building to fix the issue.

Did something get left out here?  I'm not seeing the impossible request, just that a customer needs an on-site technician once the fire marshal allows re-entry of the building.  Your co-worker should be updating the ticket and noting the request as part of their job.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!

Did something get left out here?  I'm not seeing the impossible request, just that a customer needs an on-site technician once the fire marshal allows re-entry of the building.  Your co-worker should be updating the ticket and noting the request as part of their job.

It sounds like the customer was trying to insist the technician go in NOW NOW NOW, fire marshal or no fire marshal. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Pen^2

Explaining to a customer that sorry, we've no milk left, but the manager has gone to get some and will be back in about fifteen minutes. No, we don't have any in the fridge or out the back, that's what "no milk left" means. No, I personally don't have any extra. There isn't any hidden in a secret place just for staff, no. And no, I cannot just go and milk the cow that you think we have living in the back room.

This happened four times over a few months of working at that particular place.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
From my K9 search team days . . .

Team lead gets a call from a nearby (very rural) sheriff - there's been a house fire and they think the owner was inside, since nobody knows where else she might have been.  Could we get the dogs there right away?

Team lead: "No problem!  How long has the fire been out?"

Sheriff:  " . . . Out?"

Yeah, it wasn't quite out . . . still smoldering, really . . . but they thought we could just run our dogs through no problem.  As it happened, before the fire had cooled enough for us to go, the house's owner came home and was fine.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
To be fair I am not 100% sure this story should go here or in the Special Snowflake thread, but here it is...BG:  My hairdresser has been cutting my hair for over 15 years.  I have very dark brown/auburn hair, naturally very wavy/sort of curly.  I have a lot of natural highlights, from deep red wine, dark copper/carmel and some that are nearly purple.  Most people assume I dye/highlight my hair, some think it is permed.  I do not do anything to it.  I don't blowdry it or curl it.  I don't even own a blowdryer, or a curling iron (I actually do have a flat iron, but rarely use it).  Eng BG

A few weeks ago I went to get my hair cut.  I had to wait as my hairdresser "Lisa" had just started a consultation on a dye job/hair cut.  No problem for me, I brought a book with me.  I sat down and started reading as they started their consultation.A few minutes into the consultation, I hear slightly raised voices, but I really wasn't paying any attention to what was going on.  Lisa comes over to me and asks if I would mind coming to speak with her client  "Jill" about my hair.  I go over to speak with her.  Introductions are made...

Jill: You have lovely hair dear. 
Me: Thank you very much.
Jill: You know I asked Lisa here to do my hair like she does yours, but she says she only cuts it. So I wanted to know who perms and dyes it.
Me: <smile> This is my natural hair ma'am. 

Jill: Well, that can't be.   So do you dye it yourself?  Does some other stylist perm it?
Me" Ma'am this is how my hair naturally is.  It isn't dyed or permed.
Jill to Lisa:  I want my hair like hers!
Lisa:  As I said before I may be able to get it close, but not exactly.
<snip>
Something similar happened to me.  I was sitting in the chair while my former stylist cut my hair.  My natural color is ash blonde, but I spend a lot of time in the sun so the top gets bleached out in the summer and I am starting to turn grey.  Actually, it's more silver than grey.  My former stylist was an expert in coloring hair and was called over to consult on another customer, not an unusual event.

When my stylist came back, she told me that the other customer, an Asian woman with straight black hair told her stylist that she wanted her hair dyed the same color as my hair, complete with "highlights."  I laughed and told my stylist not to forget the silver streaks.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Twik

Explaining to a customer that sorry, we've no milk left, but the manager has gone to get some and will be back in about fifteen minutes. No, we don't have any in the fridge or out the back, that's what "no milk left" means. No, I personally don't have any extra. There isn't any hidden in a secret place just for staff, no. And no, I cannot just go and milk the cow that you think we have living in the back room.

Oh, dear. EvilTwik just suggested murmurring "well, just this once," and starting to unbutton your top.

BAD EvilTwik!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BarensMom

Oh, dear. EvilTwik just suggested murmurring "well, just this once," and starting to unbutton your top.

BAD EvilTwik!

I would pay someone $100 if they would actually do that.

nutraxfornerves

There is an anecdote in the People's guide ot Mexico. To ask, in Spanish, if a shop sells something, you do not say "Do you have X?" That means "Do you personally have X?" You ask "Is there X?"

Well, one of the authors, a man, walked into a shop and asked the very pregnant shopkeeper "Do you have milk?" He reported that "the reaction of the other customers and the look on the girl's face took a year off my conversational ability in Spanish."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data