Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 676553 times)

Snooks

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3015 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
I worked in a book store who decided they needed to run a January sale (despite us not selling any seasonal items) and the sale would be buy two get one free.  Which is great but they didn't bother to get the tills programmed to do it automatically so we had to sort everything and do it by hand, not a lot of fun when someone decides to take advantage of the sale to buy every Beatrix Potter book or every Mr Man/Little Miss book.  They let it run for the first few days where only the cheapest ones were free, we had lots of people demanding separate transactions so they swapped it to be every 3rd book being free.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3016 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
At work, I do graphic design and document layout work for a variety of clients and each one has their preferences and that's fine for the most part, once I get a feel for their needs I can nail it with a minimum of revisions.  But for the past few weeks, I've been working with a new client and I'm getting pretty close to pulling my hair out.

Round #1 -  I am provided with a PDF document that outlines their "visual identity".  It lists the fonts and art you are permitted to use, how to treat the logo, etc.  So, I do the preliminary layout emulating the examples in the design guide.  Client doesn't like the layout and sends me a "sample" layout to copy which does use the fonts, but in a way COMPLETELY inconsistent with the design guide. 

Round #2 - So I attempt to emulate the sample layout, despite the fact that the proportions are all wrong for the size of the items I'm designing. But now I'm using the "wrong font".  The font has the right name and is from the right foundry, so what is it that looks wrong?  "I can't tell you, it just looks wrong!" I went to their ftp site and attempted to download a copy of the font from their resources folder and it was a Mac-formatted Type 1 font.  We're on PCs...cue bellyaching that we can't possibly do design and layout properly on a PC, etc., etc.
I finally did some deep research and found that the incredibly commonly distributed font in question had been revised with a slightly different serif on certain characters about 3 years ago but that the font name and publisher was exactly the same.  The best part?  The "bad" character was in the layout exactly twice and the font is so small I could barely tell the difference.
Also, he complained that the photograph that goes in the layout had a "weird tint" and that I should adjust it according the sample he sent - but that the yellows in the sample were too green and the blues were too red so keep that in mind.

Round #3 - I bought and installed a new copy of the font and sent the revised layout.
Now the leading and tracking is all wrong!  Apparently, I should have known that they ALWAYS use 9pt. type with 10.25 leading and -10 tracking for these kinds of items and couldn't I tell from the sample? (FYI - the printed sample he sent was in a larger font size and the letters were quite spaced out.) Also, there's nothing about these specs in their "design guide".
The sentences were broken at the wrong positions. (I followed his layout.)
I used a regular hyphen instead of an en dash.  (They're the exact same size, no swishy bits or anything different, but whatever.)
And WHAT WAS I THINKING in the photo adjustments? (I dunno, you send me a picture of a blue and yellow widget and tell me to make the colors right based off an inaccurate reference.)

I'm waiting for the markups and new references to arrive today.  Wheeee!

I know that this client can mean a lot of money for my company, but I am not wanting to work with this person any more!  Either give me precise specifications or don't act like I'm an idiot for not reading your blasted mind.  I know you work for Big, Important Company but that doesn't mean I automatically know all the details of your corporate style. Also, your "real professional designers use Macs" attitude is really hilarious to me - in the past 20 years, I've used both systems separately and together.  If you know what you're doing, you'll get consistent results from the same software on either platform.

I have other clients who are even more particular, but they tend to send proper spec sheets, useful design guides and marked-up layouts, I usually average one revision with these guys, usually for minor copy changes...and zero attitude.

I honestly think this person just doesn't want to work with our company and is trying to make the process as difficult as possible. Sigh.

I have my emails and photocopies for my bosses, so I'm not worried about my performance evals or anything.  It's just sooooo tiresome dealing with this person.  I'm almost to the point of not caring about the product...and I take tremendous pride in my work.

</VENT>

greencat

« Reply #3017 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
I got another call from someone I can only describe as less than sane.

Me:  "Introductory spiel that includes my name and department at COLLEGE!"
Caller: "This is Sue.*... (long delay) Sue Smith." (A few seconds of silence while I wait for her to continue with what she is calling about as most callers do.  Cue realization that this is not going to be a normal conversation.)
Me: "This is Department at COLLEGE.  How can I help you?"
Caller: (She is not speaking very clearly.) "Can you please transfer me to mumble mumble mumble head coach of mumble mumble."
Me: "I'm sorry, I didn't catch all that.  Could you please repeat it?"
Caller: "Larry Smith, Head Coach of Other College Sports Team."
Me: "Ma'am, I'm sorry, you've reached COLLEGE, and our team is the TEAM."
Caller: "But I need the number to the Other College Team Head Coach."
Me: "I'm sorry, I don't have that.  We only provide directory assistance for COLLEGE."
Caller: "But how am I going to get the number?"
Me: Suggestions regarding Google, 411, dialing 0, etc.
Caller: "But can't you transfer me?"
Me: Reminds caller again that we're the COLLEGE TEAM not the Other College Other Team, and that I don't have numbers outside our call system.
Caller: "But I'm not a TEAM fan anymore, I'm an Other College Team fan."

It took me two minutes to get her off the phone. 

She sounded like my previous batty sports team coach caller...but gave a totally different name.  I'm not entirely sure it wasn't the same woman though.

*Name made up, obviously.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3018 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:15 AM »
You mean you don't have all numbers for all college faculty in the country memorized yet?  Not even THEIR directory assistance? For shame!  You may expect a call from HR in the morning!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #3019 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
Greencat when I worked for Citywide bank we would get calls all the time asking to be transfered to "other bank" and after finally getting it through to them I had no way to transfer them to "Other bank" we would have another 10min argument over why I did not know the number.

"but couldn't i just look it up on line!"

well heck I would love to, but I have no Internet access because i work in a credit card call center, and why you can't do it is beyond me because you told me you Google to find our number  ??? :o
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3020 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
I had someone call up and ask for an instruction sheet for a competitor's widget.

When I explained we only had instruction sheets for *our* widgets, and they should, perhaps, contact the competitor for their sheet, they got very annoyed, and kept repeating, "I don't understand! They're WIDGETS, and you're a widget-seller! Why don't you have instructions for all of them?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3021 on: October 23, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
The best call I ever took of the "wanted the competition" variety was a older lady who was convinced that every for-profit and not-for-profit health insurance company was all owned by the same parent company.  Therefore, in her mind it followed logically that I, a person answering the phone at A Corp, would have access to her information on file at G Corp.  When I advised her that was not the case, and she would need to talk to the people at G Corp, she got very upset and said, "I know that's not true!  You're all owned by the same people, so just do whatever you have to do on your little monitor over there and tell me xyz, now!". 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3022 on: October 24, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
I just had a guest check in who is here for an off-property convention (they are just sleeping here; all the events are some place else) who had a meltdown because I don't know anything about the various seminars.  Yes,  well,  I'm not the one who never bothered to look at the convention sheets/booklet they were sent. I can tell you the convention proper is off-property. That's all I know. There's no reason I should know any more than that.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3023 on: October 24, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
I just had a guest check in who is here for an off-property convention (they are just sleeping here; all the events are some place else) who had a meltdown because I don't know anything about the various seminars.  Yes,  well,  I'm not the one who never bothered to look at the convention sheets/booklet they were sent. I can tell you the convention proper is off-property. That's all I know. There's no reason I should know any more than that.

My eyes just rolled so hard, I think one of them fell out

unnalee

« Reply #3024 on: October 24, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

I've had a similar problem.  Our building is part of a university.  We house an archive (that's where I work), a small art gallery, meeting space, the campus newspaper, and have a Hall that people often rent for parties, receptions, etc.  I have lost count of the number of calls I've taken from people demanding information about an event put on by an outside 3rd party.  I have no idea when the Smith wedding starts, and there's no reason to get snippy with me about it.  I am in no way responsible for booking the space or planning events.  I can transfer you to the person who does that stuff, but don't get huffy with me because I don't know the details!

MissRose

« Reply #3025 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
I had someone call up and ask for an instruction sheet for a competitor's widget.

When I explained we only had instruction sheets for *our* widgets, and they should, perhaps, contact the competitor for their sheet, they got very annoyed, and kept repeating, "I don't understand! They're WIDGETS, and you're a widget-seller! Why don't you have instructions for all of them?"

I work for an Internet provider.  I've had people think we are Provider Y or Z.  I've had people call in and start saying they need things that a bank or a doctor's office can help with.  I've even had a few people think I can help them make hotel or airline reservations!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3026 on: November 14, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
The library in which I worked was a high-level art reference library.  It was very specialized.  Still, several times a month, we would have people drop in to pick up a book of American short stories or the like.

It was a mystery but we finally figured it out. 

Signs in the Subway station directly in front of the museum stated that it was the stop for the Museum, the Botanic Garden and the main repository of the Brooklyn Public Library.  The first thing a person coming out of the station saw was the museum.  There were also usually museum employees outside having a smoke break.  It was natural for them to ask people wearing ID tags where the library was?

It was also natural for the employees to direct these people to our Art Reference Library.  Of course, we were not the place that could provide a biography of George Washington.  The library they wanted was a long block down the street. 

It was partially a problem of signage but we still wondered why they so readily accepted that the main library of a huge borough would be located on the second floor of a museum. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3027 on: November 14, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »

It was partially a problem of signage but we still wondered why they so readily accepted that the main library of a huge borough would be located on the second floor of a museum.

When our (small town) library was moving, we had a small, but a fairly complete branch in a small storefront for a bit and  later in a back room behind by the county health department. When we lived in Larger City (over 1,000,000), one of the public branches of our library was in a school (separate entrance) and another branch was in the community center of a nearby unincorporated village. I could have popped into any of these places for a biography, a best-seller, a science fiction book, and an ethnic cookbook as long as I had my current library card. A lot of  people didn't even know that these places were not the main library.
So, yeah, knowing that, I might think that an art museum is a perfectly logical place to have a small, full service library on the second floor.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #3028 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
The library in which I worked was a high-level art reference library.  It was very specialized.  Still, several times a month, we would have people drop in to pick up a book of American short stories or the like.

It was a mystery but we finally figured it out. 

Signs in the Subway station directly in front of the museum stated that it was the stop for the Museum, the Botanic Garden and the main repository of the Brooklyn Public Library.  The first thing a person coming out of the station saw was the museum.  There were also usually museum employees outside having a smoke break.  It was natural for them to ask people wearing ID tags where the library was?

It was also natural for the employees to direct these people to our Art Reference Library.  Of course, we were not the place that could provide a biography of George Washington.  The library they wanted was a long block down the street. 

Well, it is a very impressive museum.

Or maybe they'd been to the Terence Cardinal Cooke branch of the NY Public Library.

That one is tiny and tucked in next to a subway station--two flights of stairs down from the street, and half a flight above the downtown 6 platform. After that, you might think "right, this is New York City, they tuck libraries into random corners."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3029 on: November 14, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
The store I work in is in a stip mall ahem, lifestyle center. whatever. Ther are a number of stores, and I pretty much can tell you if there is a store a or b here, but that's about all the info I have. I don't know their phone number, so if you call and ask me, sorry, I can't help you.

And no, I can't just "go online" and look it up. our registers will ONLY let us go on to our own website, no others.