Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 688561 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3030 on: November 14, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
My FIL has been unemployed for over 9 months. He gave a good effort for a month to find another job and really isn't trying any more. However, he bemoans his lack of a job to anyone that will stop for a minute to hear him. I found out today that he hasn't applied anywhere since June, and is no longer filling out the forms to get unemployment.

All of my sympathy for the situation he is in has dissipated. Sigh.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3031 on: November 14, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
My FIL has been unemployed for over 9 months. He gave a good effort for a month to find another job and really isn't trying any more. However, he bemoans his lack of a job to anyone that will stop for a minute to hear him. I found out today that he hasn't applied anywhere since June, and is no longer filling out the forms to get unemployment.

All of my sympathy for the situation he is in has dissipated. Sigh.

Sounds more snowflakey than Harry Potter, to me. Unless he's complaining to people that THEY should give him a job.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3032 on: November 14, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
After a while the effort required with job searching and lack of results does get to you.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3033 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »
After a while the effort required with job searching and lack of results does get to you.
Yes, it does.  I've been there, done that.  However ... unless the unemployed person's salary was not necessary to maintain the household, one must pick oneself up and keep on plugging.  Unemployment does not pay much, but that amount might make the difference between paying rent/mortgage or becoming homeless.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.  I am the primary provider in my household because my husband is disabled.  I make a decent salary as a professional engineer and unemployment benefits "top out" long before they reach my salary range.  I remember when I was a clerk and I had to go on unemployment, there was almost no difference between my salary after taxes and my unemployment benefits.  Now, unemployment benefits don't cover my mortgage and medical insurance (a necessity with a crippled half-blind spouse).  When the economy tanked and I was downsized, I got up every morning determined that "today is the day I get a job."

I heard an story, more like an Aesop's Fable because I don't know if any part of it is true.  The Native Americans had Medicine Men who danced a Rain Dance during droughts.  These Medicine Men claimed to have 100% success in bringing rain.  A skeptic said, "How can that be?"  The Medicine Man replied, "We keep dancing until it rains."  Since I heard that quip, whenever I'm in a "drought" (depressed, unemployed, etc.), I remember to keep dancing until it rains.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3034 on: November 14, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
FIL has just given up, while complaining to everyone how he needs a job and no one will hire him. We live in a very tourist high area, and he did go to a job fair last month, but it was all for hospitality jobs. We tried to encourage him when we saw him at dinner and I have offered several times different suggestions that would work with his experience and interests. He seems to think that phone calls and paper resumes will  help him most, when he is looking for an IT job. Both my employer and one connected to mine require everything related to a job to be electronic, and new job postings appear weekly. He frequently forgets to check.

I have done all I can, it seems that I want him to find a job more than he wants to. That he stopped going to the effort of completing the required steps for unemployment is troubling, and I think the savings nest egg is going to run out sooner than later.

What really made me upset tonight is that he criticized a job he had seen as only making $XX,XXX per year.

That is more than I have ever made in salary and I have recently discovered that I will be making that amount and was thrilled! I have not been without a job for more than a month in 25 years.

greencat

« Reply #3035 on: November 14, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
FIL has just given up, while complaining to everyone how he needs a job and no one will hire him. We live in a very tourist high area, and he did go to a job fair last month, but it was all for hospitality jobs. We tried to encourage him when we saw him at dinner and I have offered several times different suggestions that would work with his experience and interests. He seems to think that phone calls and paper resumes will  help him most, when he is looking for an IT job. Both my employer and one connected to mine require everything related to a job to be electronic, and new job postings appear weekly. He frequently forgets to check.

I have done all I can, it seems that I want him to find a job more than he wants to. That he stopped going to the effort of completing the required steps for unemployment is troubling, and I think the savings nest egg is going to run out sooner than later.

What really made me upset tonight is that he criticized a job he had seen as only making $XX,XXX per year.

That is more than I have ever made in salary and I have recently discovered that I will be making that amount and was thrilled! I have not been without a job for more than a month in 25 years.

Paper resumes and phone calls?   :o  For IT positions? 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3036 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »

I won't accept a paper resume even for a junior admin position - because they should be technology savvy enough to do an electronic application if they're going to handle the emails etc at work.   For an IT role I would probably break into hysterical laughter to see a paper CV, as I can't imagine a truly passionate, savvy IT person wanting to do a CV in paper form.     

I wonder if he I secretly afraid of failure so isn't trying.  It must be frustrating to listen to though. And no that job won't magically fall into his lap!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3037 on: November 15, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
I'm putting this here because I don't want to start another thread...the folks posting abut friends/family who are frustrated by looking for work, but who don't seem to put an effort into it reminded me of a friend who is doing something similar.  She has a "freelance" position working for a company that pays less than a quarter of the salary she received from the company when she worked for them full time. 

Her friends have tried to find her jobs.

It has been suggested that a local store is hiring part time workers;  "Oh, sure, but I DID that job when I was younger and I shouldn't have to now."

How about THIS part time job?  "It only pays $XX an hour.  I made more than that when I was working full time."

We found someone who really needs your background in City.  "Are you kidding?  I can't do a part time job that requires me to go more than ten miles from home, otherwise the job is just paying for the gas to and from the place."

How about this position here which you are eminently qualified for?  "They want someone in the afternoon.  Besides, I can't sit that long, it would hurt my back."

In between the excuses, she continues to wail that there are NO JOBS out there!  I was hugely embarrassed when she informed me (while she was getting unemployment) how miffed she was that the case worker dared to ask if she had even looked for work that week.  "Of course I looked for work, but they don't have any jobs for my field."  "She doesn't care if you get a job in your field," I told her "you should be willing to interview for ANY job to show you are looking and are willing to work."  "Huh!  I have a Phd!  I am NOT going to take a job in Walmart or Burger King just so I have a job!"

Okie=dokie, then.  You have been unemployed for ten years and are in danger of losing your home.  How is working in Burger King worse than living on the street?

(edited severely because I should not write these things when I am upset with someone else and haven't had much sleep.)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:29:06 AM by Yarnspinner »

z_squared82

« Reply #3038 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Ditto to the several posts above. I have a friend whom I love who has been out of work for a couple of years. I told her Major Online Retailer was hiring seasonally in my area, and I've known people who get hired on permanently. The pay is hourly, but it's certainly nothing to turn your nose up at. Her response? "I didn't go to college to work in a warehouse." While that might be, but the industry you want to work in is furloughing employees, so I seriously think you need to take something STAT. I have a Master's and did third-shift data entry temp work while I was unemployed. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up.

Back on topic, back when I worked the fragrance counter, I had a woman want to return a mostly used bottle (with no cap or box or receipt) of a fragrance we had never carried. I kept telling her we couldn't. Then the assistant store manager said we could and processed it. I was really annoyed with the ASM that day.

Carotte

« Reply #3039 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »
  "Huh!  I have a Phd!  I am NOT going to take a job in Walmart or Burger King just so I have a job!"

After getting my diploma last december I started looking into my field, then after a few months I started looking into my field and with jobs I thought I could handle (not in my fields, so hospitality, retail and things like that).
I finaly found a part-time seasonal job wrapping gifts in a department store. I have a Master degree, and so does the others working with me, yeah we're not thrilled to put our higher education to wrapping paper, but we're still happy to have a job, even if it pays the minimum. I was going crazy not 'belonging' to something.
I did go through a lot of lows but you gotta do what you gotta do, give yourself a day or two to mop and wallow and cry and get back on track.

In a kinda Harry Potter and head hurting mashup, one girl I'm working with has had her degree for two years and has had a bunch of retail jobs in the mean time, she had an interview in her field X where the guy told her "well, see, you having working in retail on your CV bothers me, it means you haven't lived X for a year and I don't like that."

Yeah well, since they don't give us jobs in our field because we don't have the experience and blame us that we don't have the experience I don't see how we're getting any experience.

Would he rather have a candidate that sat on his hands for 2 years? Working retail or any other job outside your field does mean something, that you can work with people, that you mastered skills you didn't have, that you can learn quickly, that you were a good worker, that you have people skills or a good work ethic or can work under stress and tight schedule (pick those that suits you).

Hillia

« Reply #3040 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
About 10 years ago I moved to an area that had been thriving - several large manufacturing plants, technology bases, university, etc.  Of course, the minute I got there the economy tanked.  I was lucky - and thrilled - to go from being a web based database developer to working tech support at minimum wage.  In my training class were also a guy with every Cisco engineer certification available, who had been out of work for two years after working for a major manufacturing company as a network manager; and a guy who had  been a telephony developer and had been out of work for 3 years.  We were all thrilled to get that minimum wage in exchange for being screamed at 9-10 hours a day.

On the 'willing but  not able' side, a friend called me once to say that the mortgage company she worked for was downsizing and their receptionist was being laid off. At the time, I worked for a large state university and we always had openings.  She asked if there was anything for her friend.
Secretarial work? No, she doesn't type
Accounting clerk?  No, she doesn't do 10 key or have any knowledge of bookkeeping tasks
General clerical?  No, she doesn't keyboard at all
Library assistant, only skill required is knowledge of the alphabet?   Oh great!  But...she can't possibly work for minimum wage!  She's earning $xx now!

I mused silently to myself that if the company was paying someone that much money to do nothing more than answer the phone, it was no wonder that they had to lay people off.  Every receptionist I've ever known had a multitude of other duties, which required a mix of admin/bookkeeping/organizational skills.  This woman was apparently being paid, literally, to sit there and look pretty.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Chelsealady

« Reply #3041 on: November 15, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm putting this here because I don't want to start another thread...the folks posting abut friends/family who are frustrated by looking for work, but who don't seem to put an effort into it reminded me of a friend who is doing something similar.  She has a "freelance" position working for a company that pays less than a quarter of the salary she received from the company when she worked for them full time. 

Her friends have tried to find her jobs.

It has been suggested that a local store is hiring part time workers;  "Oh, sure, but I DID that job when I was younger and I shouldn't have to now."

How about THIS part time job?  "It only pays $XX an hour.  I made more than that when I was working full time."

We found someone who really needs your background in City.  "Are you kidding?  I can't do a part time job that requires me to go more than ten miles from home, otherwise the job is just paying for the gas to and from the place."

How about this position here which you are eminently qualified for?  "They want someone in the afternoon.  Besides, I can't sit that long, it would hurt my back."

In between the excuses, she continues to wail that there are NO JOBS out there!  I was hugely embarrassed when she informed me (while she was getting unemployment) how miffed she was that the case worker dared to ask if she had even looked for work that week.  "Of course I looked for work, but they don't have any jobs for my field."  "She doesn't care if you get a job in your field," I told her "you should be willing to interview for ANY job to show you are looking and are willing to work."  "Huh!  I have a Phd!  I am NOT going to take a job in Walmart or Burger King just so I have a job!"

Okie=dokie, then.  You have been unemployed for ten years and are in danger of losing your home.  How is working in Burger King worse than living on the street?

(edited severely because I should not write these things when I am upset with someone else and haven't had much sleep.)

This is my sister-in-law.

cwm

« Reply #3042 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
<snip>

This is my sister-in-law.

This is my best friend. She recently got a job, and part of me can't help but wonder how long it will last. You see, her dad's a veterenarian, and she knows absolutely everything about dog behavior and how everything should possibly be handled, she's lived around animals all her life. So she got a job at a doggy day care. So far she's only a few weeks in, but I can't wait to see her hit the holiday rush and the reality of working with so much all at once and do what she's used to doing, only to have the company remind her repeatedly that they have different ways of doing things.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great girl, but she's very strong-headed. It's taken her seven years to get a full time job because she didn't want to work retail or fast food, she couldn't possibly look during baseball season because she had a part-time job at the stadium, she didn't want to work close enough to home that she could walk because she didn't like those stores, but she's had trouble with maintaining a working car (the family of 5 adults has, at most, two cars working at any given time), and she's the first to ask off work for things like parties that she wants to go to.

On the subject of the thread, I had a few today. Had a client earlier this week start an online file with us. We had a salesperson get in touch with him, but for various reasons in his past, we can't help him at this time. We told him so, sent him a copy of a form giving him the reasons we can't help him. This was on Wednesday.

Wednesday night he tried again to start a file online. The information he put in this time was incomplete, so as my job, I emailed him for a name and phone number for us to call him. I didn't know about the day old file or that we'd already been in contact with him, I just saw an incomplete file, so I did my part. I got the email back from him at about 6:00 last night saying that the web form would not let him complete it, please have someone call him.

There were notes in the old file that we had called him yesterday again to explain why we were closing his file. This was before the email he sent me. He knew that despite the slightly different information on the web form, his history would not change overnight and we would still be unable to do anything to get a file started for him. He has to wait several years and work on his issues on his own before we can help him.

I did actually apologizge to the salesperson when I forwarded the client's email to her. I knew there was nothing she could do, but in order to do my due diligence and because this was technically a new file request, I had to assign it out and she had to call.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3043 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
This is my best friend. She recently got a job, and part of me can't help but wonder how long it will last. You see, her dad's a veterenarian, and she knows absolutely everything about dog behavior and how everything should possibly be handled, she's lived around animals all her life. So she got a job at a doggy day care. So far she's only a few weeks in, but I can't wait to see her hit the holiday rush and the reality of working with so much all at once and do what she's used to doing, only to have the company remind her repeatedly that they have different ways of doing things.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great girl, but she's very strong-headed. It's taken her seven years to get a full time job because she didn't want to work retail or fast food, she couldn't possibly look during baseball season because she had a part-time job at the stadium, she didn't want to work close enough to home that she could walk because she didn't like those stores, but she's had trouble with maintaining a working car (the family of 5 adults has, at most, two cars working at any given time), and she's the first to ask off work for things like parties that she wants to go to.

This would also be my co-worker (who has managed to keep her job, but barely). She told me one day that she is no longer looking for full-time work, since she is "still a kid" and she feels she should be out with her friends having fun, not working!

The girl is nineteen. I tried to be tactful and bite my tongue, but inside I was screaming "You are NOT A KID. You are plenty old enough to pay your own dang way!"

Of course, my opinion may be biased since I happen to know her sister and Sis is way too generous. I'm sure part of her (barely-above-minimum) pay goes towards supporting Co-worker.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

goldilocks

« Reply #3044 on: November 15, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
I've had similar conversations wiht about to graduate college students.    They go in the internet and find out, for example, that IT analysts start out making an average of 70K!!!

So that is what they must have.   Never mind that the study they looked at has absolutely nothing to do with this area of the country, or that the job description they are quoting is senior level, and not really entry level, and never mind that you have never held any type of job in your life.   I should pay you 70K just so I can spend the next 3 years training you!

On a side note, my husband gets really irritated with the teenagers in our family because they insist that their dream job is something like working with pandas, so that is what they are going to college to learn.   Okay, there are maybe 2 panda jobs in the entire US, how do you plan on using your degree.   it doesn't matter, they say, you need to go and study what you love.   I agree that it's nice to have dreams, but should you really be studying a field in which has no practical application in getting you a job?