News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 20, 2017, 12:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1380924 times)

TinyVulgarUnicorn

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3060 on: November 16, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.

I'm 28 and I still have no clue what I want to do. 

Reika

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3061 on: November 16, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.

Heck, I'm 37 and still floundering. :)

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3062 on: November 16, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
And no one says you have to go to college at 17.

Almost everyone who goes to uni here
does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

Where is here? (Start losing track with so many forum members coming from different countries).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3063 on: November 16, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »

does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

Where is here? (Start losing track with so many forum members coming from different countries).

UK (I have a British flag on the lower right of my posts :) )

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3064 on: November 16, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »

UK (I have a British flag on the lower right of my posts :) )

Thanks. Completely missed that.  Obviously need another cuppa. :)

BB-VA

« Reply #3065 on: November 16, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

Heck, I'm 37 and still floundering. :)

59 here. and ditto.

I went straight to college from HS and dropped out.  I wanted to take a gap year and find a job but I was told that if I did that, I would never go to college.  Now it seems as if the gap year is becoming more and more accepted.

The problem is that students are being advised by people who never left school.  My senior guidance counselor said when she retired that she had been in school since the age of 5, either as student, teacher, or counselor. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Dr. F.

« Reply #3066 on: November 16, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »

I'm 47 and rethinking what I want to do. I thought I knew. It might have changed.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3067 on: November 16, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »
It seems to me that having multiple careers - not just multiple jobs &/or employers in the same career path - is becoming more and more common.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #3068 on: November 16, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
You might have a better chance of the Doctor himself dropping by.

We would. Fortunately no one showed up asking about Matt Smith. We did have to run out for more fish sticks the crowd was so big. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3069 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
You might have a better chance of the Doctor himself dropping by.

We would. Fortunately no one showed up asking about Matt Smith. We did have to run out for more fish sticks the crowd was so big.

I was really tempted to drop by, just to see what all the fuss was about :D

Jocelyn

« Reply #3070 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

Almost everyone who goes to uni here does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.
And to quote Dr. Phil, how's that working for you? Seriously, if going at 17 doesn't work, I'm surprised that more people don't go as non-traditionals. It's very much the trend in American academia. The university where I teach is primarily traditionals, but in nearly every class I have non-trads. Every professor loves the non-trads, they have a depth of life experience that's not replaceable by book learning. I tell our undergrads that taking a year or two to practice at the bachelor's level before going to grad school can be an excellent idea. And in my doctoral program, we were required to practice at the masters' level for at least 2 years before coming back. Most faculties will not hire someone who hadn't had 2 years post-masters.

Pen^2

« Reply #3071 on: November 17, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
I had someone come to see me today with an inquiry about the literacy class (mostly 4 and 5 year olds) which I run. The brochure explains the program we use and the progression within it, along with a timeline which is clearly labelled as "for reference only" because individual students vary, and going at a set pace regardless of the students' ability to follow it isn't how teaching works. Some kids go faster and some slower. As anyone with a speck of common sense would expect.

This woman wanted to enroll her son in the standard 16-week program, which pretty much covers all regular monosyllabic words plus a few dozen of the irregular but highly common sight words. She wanted to know if I could speed it up. I explained that some students do end up finishing it a few weeks earlier than the quoted 16 weeks, but that it depends on the individual student and their aptitudes. This wasn't good enough--she wasn't interested in him (possibly) finishing in 13 or 14 weeks. No, she wanted him to do a 16-week course in 2 weeks.

I made it very clear that to go this fast would be to his absolute detriment, and that rushing things would only ensure that he learnt none of it properly. Going slowly and actually learning it trumps sprinting through and picking up next to nothing. It would be a waste of everyone's time, and of her money. He'd be much better off just doing the usual first 2 weeks of the 16 week program. At least then he'd learn something. But she wasn't interested in this. It was the entire course she wanted.

Her: "But I want it to only be 2 weeks."
Me: "In that case, he'll learn next to nothing."
Her: "No, I want him to learn it."
Me: "Then it will take closer to 16 weeks."
Her: "16 weeks is too long. I want it to be 2."
Me: "Okay, but then he won't learn anything."
Her: "No, he has to learn it all."

We went around like this in circles a few times before I realised that she either wasn't getting it or was completely unaware that when I said "impossible" I meant "impossible," rather than, "I'm reluctant so you'll have to haggle." In the end, I made it clear: it's either 16 weeks, or her son learns nothing. There is no third option. She should tell her decision to the receptionist. I excused myself and walked off while she was mid-reply.

The receptionist told me later that she'd then tried the same argument with him. He explained very tersely that, although our policy states that we don't turn away anyone (excepting a few medical-type things), he was willing to do the paperwork to change that just for her.

I feel so sorry for her son. A few things she said in our brief talk made it unfortunately clear that the reason she wanted to rush the course was to be able to show off to her friends. Any parent who actively tries to throw their child's education in the rubbish just so they can brag for 2 minutes makes me shudder.

Twik

« Reply #3072 on: November 17, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »
The child didn't have an older brother named Connor did he?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Pen^2

« Reply #3073 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
The child didn't have an older brother named Connor did he?

Not sure what you're referencing there. But no, his name had a dozen extra vowels and more than one punctuation mark. I'm only talking about his first name, too. The poor kid.

ETA to add that I just remembered who Connor is from the fundraising/volunteer thread. The mothers do sound remarkably similar. But I'm clearly a bit slow today. Egg and my face are in alignment. :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:21:42 PM by Pen^2 »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3074 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »

Almost everyone who goes to uni here does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.
And to quote Dr. Phil, how's that working for you? Seriously, if going at 17 doesn't work, I'm surprised that more people don't go as non-traditionals. It's very much the trend in American academia. The university where I teach is primarily traditionals, but in nearly every class I have non-trads. Every professor loves the non-trads, they have a depth of life experience that's not replaceable by book learning. I tell our undergrads that taking a year or two to practice at the bachelor's level before going to grad school can be an excellent idea. And in my doctoral program, we were required to practice at the masters' level for at least 2 years before coming back. Most faculties will not hire someone who hadn't had 2 years post-masters.

The bolded sounds really snarky.  I'm not in charge of the UK's education system, nor did I say it "didn't work".  For many people it does, many others feel that dropping particular subjects and narrowing their choices (which begins at age 13 or 14 here) was too early for them.

I didn't understand the rest of your post, about "practice" or what "grad school" is.

In the UK, a common route to university is to finish GCSEs at 16, finish A-Levels at 18 and go to university for three years to do a BSc or a BA (after which, you are a graduate).  After that you can choose to do a one-year MA or MSc, or a three-year PhD.

University is so expensive that many people who enter work and get settled after school see going to university full-time as a step backwards in terms of finances and lifestyle.  Some companies sponsor employees to gain degrees part-time (often one day a week) but that takes many years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:40:02 PM by RingTailedLemur »