Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 692567 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3060 on: November 16, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3061 on: November 16, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
I briefly worked for a hotel restaurant where the manager insisted that the lowest-level front-of-house staff at least have an associate's (2-year) degree.  His reasoning was that they were interacting with the guests and needed to be reasonably well-spoken.

He did not manage to reason that the reason why he had higher-than-usual staff turnover was that, for someone with a college degree, waiting tables was the dead-end-job to make ends meet while searching for a better position, not something they were ever planning on sticking with long-term.

I think he's also missing the point of what's covered in most colleges, since rhetoric is no longer part of the required curriculum. From accounting to zoology, there aren't a lot of classes that will make someone well-spoken if they weren't already.

*wondering suddenly whether he had a college degree, and if so, in what*
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

greencat

« Reply #3062 on: November 16, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
I briefly worked for a hotel restaurant where the manager insisted that the lowest-level front-of-house staff at least have an associate's (2-year) degree.  His reasoning was that they were interacting with the guests and needed to be reasonably well-spoken.

He did not manage to reason that the reason why he had higher-than-usual staff turnover was that, for someone with a college degree, waiting tables was the dead-end-job to make ends meet while searching for a better position, not something they were ever planning on sticking with long-term.

I think he's also missing the point of what's covered in most colleges, since rhetoric is no longer part of the required curriculum. From accounting to zoology, there aren't a lot of classes that will make someone well-spoken if they weren't already.

*wondering suddenly whether he had a college degree, and if so, in what*

Not that college trains you to speak, but professors do demand that the work you turn in displays a certain amount of grammatical correctness, and learning better written grammar usually comes with an improvement in your speaking patterns.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3063 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
The trouble is, it's very difficult to know exactly what you want to do and how at 17.

I know I didn't have a clue. College right after high school was as much about exploring options and figuring out what I wanted and was suited for as getting training.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Jocelyn

« Reply #3064 on: November 16, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
And no one says you have to go to college at 17.
If someone has no interest in any occupation that requires a college education, it's taking a crap shoot to send them to college just to take some classes and explore. Some students will find themselves, others will flunk out. I had an advisee expelled for having a GPA of .2 this year. No, the decimal is not in the wrong place. I've seen it happen too many times with kids sent to college because they'd graduated high school, when they had no idea what they wanted to do, or study. So they sat in the student union and played cards during class, because no one was going to make them go to class. I remember telling this young man that the University could and would expell him for bad grades, and he was stunned. He felt like as long as he could pay the bills, he should be able to make whatever grades he wanted to. Would it be in his favor for the school to take that attitude, and let him exhaust his financial aid while creating so many hours of F that it would take him years to re-take those classes? If you don't know where you're going, getting in your car and driving in any old direction probably isn't going to get you to your destination. Likewise, if a student really doesn't know what he wants to do, taking a few years to work and make up his mind isn't a bad plan. Or taking a vo-tech course, and having a trade at which to work while he attends college. If you know you want to do A, B, C, or D, and all of them require a college degree, then yes, start to college, take some classes in those departments, and make a choice. There's nothing wrong with changing your career plan after you start college but I sure don't recommend sending a kid who has NO idea what he wants to do or study.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #3065 on: November 16, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

Almost everyone who goes to uni here does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #3066 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

I'm 28 and I still have no clue what I want to do. 

Reika

« Reply #3067 on: November 16, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »

Heck, I'm 37 and still floundering. :)

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3068 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »

Almost everyone who goes to uni here
does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

Where is here? (Start losing track with so many forum members coming from different countries).

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #3069 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »

does it straight out of school, and the choice is made at 17.  Going as a mature student is uncommon.

Where is here? (Start losing track with so many forum members coming from different countries).

UK (I have a British flag on the lower right of my posts :) )

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3070 on: November 16, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

UK (I have a British flag on the lower right of my posts :) )

Thanks. Completely missed that.  Obviously need another cuppa. :)

BB-VA

« Reply #3071 on: November 16, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »

Heck, I'm 37 and still floundering. :)

59 here. and ditto.

I went straight to college from HS and dropped out.  I wanted to take a gap year and find a job but I was told that if I did that, I would never go to college.  Now it seems as if the gap year is becoming more and more accepted.

The problem is that students are being advised by people who never left school.  My senior guidance counselor said when she retired that she had been in school since the age of 5, either as student, teacher, or counselor. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Dr. F.

« Reply #3072 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

I'm 47 and rethinking what I want to do. I thought I knew. It might have changed.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3073 on: November 16, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
It seems to me that having multiple careers - not just multiple jobs &/or employers in the same career path - is becoming more and more common.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #3074 on: November 16, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »
You might have a better chance of the Doctor himself dropping by.

We would. Fortunately no one showed up asking about Matt Smith. We did have to run out for more fish sticks the crowd was so big. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter