Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 719321 times)

darling

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3120 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »
Pre-Web days, when I worked as an undergrad in a library, I had a patron ask me to help her find a photo of Einstein playing the violin. In and of itself, the request would have been interesting, and I was familiar enough with our collection that I could have found something fairly quickly. However, the timing of her request was highly inappropriate.

Beings how we were in the middle of a lock-down due to an armed gunman being loose, while several people had been shot in a room just down the hall, I was disinclined to help her. Lady, I'm still in shock, we're locked in a room, several people I know have been killed, and the gunman is someone who I had a not-so-good-history with, a cop just told me to lock the doors and turn out the lights, and you want me to find you a stupid photo???

Being 19 years old, I just pointed her in the general direction of the biographies, and the xerox machine, and went back to trying to figure out what the heck to do while locked in the library with the lights off and three patrons to take care of. The Now Me, would have probably told her exactly what I thought of her request. Very politely of course.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3121 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
I can imagine the patron thinking, "Well, while we're here, may as well get what I came for...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3122 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
Pre-Web days, when I worked as an undergrad in a library, I had a patron ask me to help her find a photo of Einstein playing the violin. In and of itself, the request would have been interesting, and I was familiar enough with our collection that I could have found something fairly quickly. However, the timing of her request was highly inappropriate.

Beings how we were in the middle of a lock-down due to an armed gunman being loose, while several people had been shot in a room just down the hall, I was disinclined to help her. Lady, I'm still in shock, we're locked in a room, several people I know have been killed, and the gunman is someone who I had a not-so-good-history with, a cop just told me to lock the doors and turn out the lights, and you want me to find you a stupid photo???

Being 19 years old, I just pointed her in the general direction of the biographies, and the xerox machine, and went back to trying to figure out what the heck to do while locked in the library with the lights off and three patrons to take care of. The Now Me, would have probably told her exactly what I thought of her request. Very politely of course.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

« Reply #3123 on: November 19, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Some people deal with shock by locking into the task they had been doing previously.  Hopefully that was the explanation for this woman's behaviour.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3124 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »

Some people deal with shock by locking into the task they had been doing previously.  Hopefully that was the explanation for this woman's behaviour.

I have done this, but I didn't try to dragoon anyone else into it with me.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3125 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
While watching coverage of the BIG storms that hit Illinois last weekend, we saw a news anchor team as they heard the wind hit their building.  You could see the conflict in their eyes: Be tough reporters and continue the live broadcast or look like wusses and run for safety.  You know the mentality: The show must go on!  Well, they chose discretion over valour and ran for safety while saying, quite calmly under the circumstances, "To be continued when we return."  Yes, the show must go on, but it can go on after the tornado moves on so you can go back to the anchor desk.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3126 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:46 AM »

I'm prepared to believe that an article written an unknown number of years ago but read in college (we'll average that out as about 35 years ago) was not the most up to date with CURRENT Egyptology!

Ms Mertz had a PhD in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. She knew her stuff and kept up to date; her two non-fiction books were revised within the last 6 years or so. Her thesis- Egyptian queens and the throne.  So yes the woman knew what she was talking about.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3127 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:51 AM »

I'm prepared to believe that an article written an unknown number of years ago but read in college (we'll average that out as about 35 years ago) was not the most up to date with CURRENT Egyptology!

Ms Mertz had a PhD in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. She knew her stuff and kept up to date; her two non-fiction books were revised within the last 6 years or so. Her thesis- Egyptian queens and the throne.  So yes the woman knew what she was talking about.

Okay - time to hit the library and do a little light reading on Egyptian queens!  Well - maybe after Thanksgiving - I need to research some recipes right now (VorGuy's diabetes means double checking the current recipes).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3128 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:06 AM »
Snipped
I like the cab driver mischief!  ;D

Yeah, they're really sweet boys mostly.  They claim they prefer me to the other night guy because I'm prettier.  He was a little offended by that at first, until one taxi driver pointed out that surely Ollie didn't want to be flirted with by a bunch of bored taxi drivers in the middle of the night!

Hard to argue with that! Lol :D

darling

« Reply #3129 on: November 22, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
Fun one: This email was sent to me, but I don't have anything to do with the equipment he is asking about. I forwarded it to the correct person, but I had to laugh at the request. My internal comments are bolded.

"My name is xxx and this is my first time submitting anything to be cut on the [very slow piece of equipment] and I hope this is the correct email account (it was on the university website) [not sure where he got that, as I have nothing to do with this equipment, and nowhere does it even imply that I have anything to do with it]. I left 4 pieces of plywood outside the [shop] earlier today with my name on them in tape. I'm not sure if the file I'm sending you has more than one sheet in the design but i will need eight forms and i'll need them before thanksgiving break (if possible). [break starts later today, this was sent late yesterday afternoon, after the facility in question closed for the day. Did I mention that the equipment he wants to use is fully booked and SLOW?]

If their are any problems let me know and ill fix them right away.

Thank you!"

Seriously, sometimes I think the students hear the word "computer" and think MAGIC happens... These forms that he wants are very large (I opened the file out of curiosity). Easily would take 30 minutes each to cut, if not longer. My coworker who IS in charge of this equipment replied back that he'd talk to him, and added that it'd be a yes and no reply. They are not open over the weekend or evenings, and they already had a full schedule of jobs for today. I'm guessing this is going to involve my coworker staying late, or else he came in early, from what I gathered from the rest of his email.

If it had been me, the answer would have been no. I would move heaven and earth to come in early in case of a true emergency (like if he had to recut due to something getting stolen or vandalized), but not for a lack of planning like this. Actions have consequences, and that is on of the biggest lesson we can teach our students (the other is: Crap happens, and stuff breaks!).

This one happened to me yesterday morning:

I oversee three very in-demand pieces of equipment, as part of my job. These items are so in demand, that we have to have a lottery to determine the order that students line up to sign up for time on the equipment, since we used to have people camping out 16 hours + ahead of the posting of the new sign-up sheets (they are released a week at a time). With careful planning and organization, all 100 students in line got time on the equipment, but some of the questions made me shake my head. I'm sharing the best:

"What if there is no time that I can use?"

We are open 24 hours a day, there is no more time I can add.

"But what if I can't make it any of those times?"

I really can't be open any more than 24 hours a day.

"But why not?"

Fantasy answer: You see Young Padawan, the earth rotates around its axis. It takes 24 hours to complete a rotation. One rotation is one day. We are open ALL of the hours in the day, there are no more. I can't bend space and time and create more hours in a day, no matter how much you pout. Not impressed. Okay, just kidding, you can have the 25 o'clock session.  :o >:D

What she meant was, "I don't want to have to come in at 6 am to use this piece of equipment that I really need to use to complete my project."

I also had someone ask if we'd be getting a 4th piece of equipment, because apparently my facility has been mistaken for the Tardis...

Jocelyn

« Reply #3130 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
Snip . . .
Librarian brings half a dozen books on the war to the patron.
Patron storms back.
Pat: This book is about how the war got started!  I told you I want everything on the war!  Everything!
Librarian gets more books.
Pat: (now really mad) I want to read about the %$#^in' field hospitals and you didn't bring me nothing about them!
Lib: I did ask you if there was an area you were interested in and you told me everything.  You'll need to check the indexes for...
Pat: You guys never help me at all!  You're supposed to be helping me get what I want!  I HATE this library!  (storms out)

Librarian is left wishing that a small blue police call box would materialize and take her away.  Anywhere.

Actually if the small blue police call box did appear, you could have it take the patron to the Civil War and leave them there .  Problem solved!

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

BB-VA

« Reply #3131 on: November 22, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
Snip . . .
Patron storms back.
Pat: This book is about how the war got started!  I told you I want everything on the war!  Everything!
Pat: (now really mad) I want to read about the %$#^in' field hospitals and you didn't bring me nothing about them!
Lib: I did ask you if there was an area you were interested in and you told me everything.  You'll need to check the indexes for...
Pat: You guys never help me at all!  You're supposed to be helping me get what I want!  I HATE this library!  (storms out)

Librarian is left wishing that a small blue police call box would materialize and take her away.  Anywhere.

Actually if the small blue police call box did appear, you could have it take the patron to the Civil War and leave them there .  Problem solved!

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

Dropped in Antietam Creek, or in the town of Sharpsburg?  (not far from here, btw.)
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3132 on: November 22, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »
Snip . . .
Patron storms back.

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

Dropped in Antietam Creek, or in the town of Sharpsburg?  (not far from here, btw.)

No thank you, they're not welcome in my state.  Send them up to Gettysburg ;)

greencat

« Reply #3133 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
Snip . . .
Patron storms back.

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

No thank you, they're not welcome in my state.  Send them up to Gettysburg ;)

Do we even have to drop them in the American Civil War?  There are other countries with perfectly good Civil Wars to drop them in!

Our impossible patron request for today:

"I don't want to give you any information about my device so you can troubleshoot!  Just fix it now!"

Jocelyn

« Reply #3134 on: November 24, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »
Snip . . .
Patron storms back.

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

Why, in a field hospital, of course. Wherever they were located.

I went to see 'Glory' with a friend who was not a Civil War scholar. When the title 'Antietam' came up on the screen, I knew what I was going to see. She didn't. I thought she was going to crawl under her seat. One of the times in my life I wish I had given a spoiler.