Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 672006 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3135 on: November 24, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »
Snip . . .
Librarian brings half a dozen books on the war to the patron.
Patron storms back.
Pat: This book is about how the war got started!  I told you I want everything on the war!  Everything!
Librarian gets more books.
Pat: (now really mad) I want to read about the %$#^in' field hospitals and you didn't bring me nothing about them!
Lib: I did ask you if there was an area you were interested in and you told me everything.  You'll need to check the indexes for...
Pat: You guys never help me at all!  You're supposed to be helping me get what I want!  I HATE this library!  (storms out)

Librarian is left wishing that a small blue police call box would materialize and take her away.  Anywhere.

Actually if the small blue police call box did appear, you could have it take the patron to the Civil War and leave them there .  Problem solved!

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

Dropped in Antietam Creek, or in the town of Sharpsburg?  (not far from here, btw.)

No thank you, they're not welcome in my state.  Send them up to Gettysburg ;)
I figured they could tour the field hospitals of Antietam, and THEN go check out Gettysburg. ::)

BarensMom

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3136 on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »
Snip . . .
Librarian brings half a dozen books on the war to the patron.
Patron storms back.
Pat: This book is about how the war got started!  I told you I want everything on the war!  Everything!
Librarian gets more books.
Pat: (now really mad) I want to read about the %$#^in' field hospitals and you didn't bring me nothing about them!
Lib: I did ask you if there was an area you were interested in and you told me everything.  You'll need to check the indexes for...
Pat: You guys never help me at all!  You're supposed to be helping me get what I want!  I HATE this library!  (storms out)

Librarian is left wishing that a small blue police call box would materialize and take her away.  Anywhere.

Actually if the small blue police call box did appear, you could have it take the patron to the Civil War and leave them there .  Problem solved!

Fixed that for ya  ;)
I recommend Antietam.

Dropped in Antietam Creek, or in the town of Sharpsburg?  (not far from here, btw.)

No thank you, they're not welcome in my state.  Send them up to Gettysburg ;)
I figured they could tour the field hospitals of Antietam, and THEN go check out Gettysburg. ::)

Extra points for landing said patron right smack dab at Devil's Den at 5:30 p.m. on July 2, 1863. (Thank you, Ken Burns.)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3137 on: December 14, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
Dear, Dear, Dear Library Patrons:

Once again, I am left slack jawed by your awesome inability to understand that a film that is currently "in production" is NOT available immediately for your consumption.  Therefore, as much as you may WANT to see "Saving Dory", it isn't even off the computer generator yet and won't be in theaters (at this point) until 2016.  The DVD will likely be available in 2017.  Please, for the love of G_d and my own sanity, STOP ASKING ME FOR IT.

Also, to the lady who keeps asking, demanding and crying for The Long Kiss Goodnight.  It was purchased weeks ago and put on hold for you.  Why didn't you pick it up?

Finally, same lady:  help me out here, sweetheart.  There are three copies of World War Z on the shelf as I type.  You want me to buy another copy because it was checked out when you looked?  Pumpkin, come and talk to me about learning to put holds on movies you want to see.  It's an awesome way of getting what you want!

PeterM

« Reply #3138 on: December 15, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »
Finally, same lady:  help me out here, sweetheart.  There are three copies of World War Z on the shelf as I type.  You want me to buy another copy because it was checked out when you looked?  Pumpkin, come and talk to me about learning to put holds on movies you want to see.  It's an awesome way of getting what you want!

These people drive me nuts.

"Do you have <Brand New Popular Movie> in?"

"No, all the copies in the system are checked out. Would you like me to put it on hold for you?"

"No, no, I'll just check again this weekend."

Make it three or four months from now and maybe there'll be a copy on the shelf. But heck, at least we'll eventually have a copy on the shelf. Another type of nitwit really takes the cake.

"Do you have <Older obscure movie> in?"

"We don't own that one, actually, but it's available at another branch. Would you like me to put it on hold for you?"

"No, no, I'll just check again this weekend."

That's not gonna help, dude.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3139 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:19 AM »
Our library system has a nifty on-line reservation system.  I haven't browsed the shelves for a couple years.  I can have any book, movie, or CD in the state system delivered to my local library.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #3140 on: December 15, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
Our library system has a nifty on-line reservation system.  I haven't browsed the shelves for a couple years.  I can have any book, movie, or CD in the state system delivered to my local library.

Same here. The only books I get from the shelves are in the children's section when I go there with my kids.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3141 on: December 15, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »

Yes! me too

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3142 on: December 15, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

Yes! me too
Yeah, isn't that nice?  And you don't have to fill out any paperwork, just a few clicks and you're done!  Of course, you do have to actually leave the house and go to pick them up. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3143 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
^
Unless your state library system has an online library that a patron can borrow the digital copy of the desired book and read it on android or iPad. Kentucky and New Jersey have the Overdrive digital library. Very convenient! My reading for pleasure time has gone up dramatically since I discovered how to play work with it.   ;D

This online library also have audio books for loan.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3144 on: December 15, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
Yes Maryland also has an Overdrive digital Library as well.  I love it, love it, love it!

Public Libraries are the best

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3145 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
^
Unless your state library system has an online library that a patron can borrow the digital copy of the desired book and read it on android or iPad. Kentucky and New Jersey have the Overdrive digital library. Very convenient! My reading for pleasure time has gone up dramatically since I discovered how to play work with it.   ;D

As does Michigan, and many, many other states.  :)

There are a few restrictions: you have to live in the district/township/county of the lending library.  Not all books are on Overdrive.  Some audio books are only available for WMA (windows media) instead of MP3 (backwards, to me!)

You can use the Overdrive app (or lend through Kindle) on almost every type of smartphone (Android or Apple, doesn't matter) and tablet.  You can also read the books through a computer.

(Yep, librarian here.  :))

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3146 on: December 15, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
^

As does Michigan, and many, many other states.  :)

There are a few restrictions: you have to live in the district/township/county of the lending library.  Not all books are on Overdrive.  Some audio books are only available for WMA (windows media) instead of MP3 (backwards, to me!)

You can use the Overdrive app (or lend through Kindle) on almost every type of smartphone (Android or Apple, doesn't matter) and tablet.  You can also read the books through a computer.

(Yep, librarian here.  :))

We may need a spin off thread here soon.

So does Michigan offer statewide reciprocity?  For example.  My physical library card is from Baltimore County.  However, I have also registered my card in Baltimore City, Howard, Anne Arundel, and Montgomery counties.  So I can visit those libraries online or in person and check out, using my Baltimore County library card.  The registration process is free and basically as long as I had a library card from SOMEWHERE in the state, I could register in another county.

Does Michigan work this way?

Mollie

« Reply #3147 on: December 16, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »
Washington state is basically the same way. I live in pierce county and have a pierce county library card, ut also have one for king, kitsap, puyallup, tacoma and timberland libraries. If I so desired, I could have a card from every library in the state.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3148 on: December 16, 2013, 12:53:24 AM »
We just had a guest here who - every day- put out her "do not disturb" sign. And left it there. All day. She just complained bitterly to a co-worker that we a terrible hotel for not cleaning her room,  restocking toiletries or giving her fresh towels. My colleague looked up her room and said "we're sorry,  ma'am but we haven't because you have the Do Not Disturb sign up all the time." The woman said that had *nothing* to do with the poor service and when were we going to send someone. My colleague said "would now work?"

Of course not! No one should be going into that room until she's checked out.

She got told "when you want something call and we'll drop it off".

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3149 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
I'm gonna need that wall again...