News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 06:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1507492 times)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3135 on: December 15, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
Our library system has a nifty on-line reservation system.  I haven't browsed the shelves for a couple years.  I can have any book, movie, or CD in the state system delivered to my local library.

Yes! me too
Yeah, isn't that nice?  And you don't have to fill out any paperwork, just a few clicks and you're done!  Of course, you do have to actually leave the house and go to pick them up. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3136 on: December 15, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
^
Unless your state library system has an online library that a patron can borrow the digital copy of the desired book and read it on android or iPad. Kentucky and New Jersey have the Overdrive digital library. Very convenient! My reading for pleasure time has gone up dramatically since I discovered how to play work with it.   ;D

This online library also have audio books for loan.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3137 on: December 15, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »
Yes Maryland also has an Overdrive digital Library as well.  I love it, love it, love it!

Public Libraries are the best

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3138 on: December 15, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »
^
Unless your state library system has an online library that a patron can borrow the digital copy of the desired book and read it on android or iPad. Kentucky and New Jersey have the Overdrive digital library. Very convenient! My reading for pleasure time has gone up dramatically since I discovered how to play work with it.   ;D

As does Michigan, and many, many other states.  :)

There are a few restrictions: you have to live in the district/township/county of the lending library.  Not all books are on Overdrive.  Some audio books are only available for WMA (windows media) instead of MP3 (backwards, to me!)

You can use the Overdrive app (or lend through Kindle) on almost every type of smartphone (Android or Apple, doesn't matter) and tablet.  You can also read the books through a computer.

(Yep, librarian here.  :))

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3139 on: December 15, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
^

There are a few restrictions: you have to live in the district/township/county of the lending library.  Not all books are on Overdrive.  Some audio books are only available for WMA (windows media) instead of MP3 (backwards, to me!)

You can use the Overdrive app (or lend through Kindle) on almost every type of smartphone (Android or Apple, doesn't matter) and tablet.  You can also read the books through a computer.

We may need a spin off thread here soon.

So does Michigan offer statewide reciprocity?  For example.  My physical library card is from Baltimore County.  However, I have also registered my card in Baltimore City, Howard, Anne Arundel, and Montgomery counties.  So I can visit those libraries online or in person and check out, using my Baltimore County library card.  The registration process is free and basically as long as I had a library card from SOMEWHERE in the state, I could register in another county.

Does Michigan work this way?

Mollie

« Reply #3140 on: December 15, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
Washington state is basically the same way. I live in pierce county and have a pierce county library card, ut also have one for king, kitsap, puyallup, tacoma and timberland libraries. If I so desired, I could have a card from every library in the state.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3141 on: December 15, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
We just had a guest here who - every day- put out her "do not disturb" sign. And left it there. All day. She just complained bitterly to a co-worker that we a terrible hotel for not cleaning her room,  restocking toiletries or giving her fresh towels. My colleague looked up her room and said "we're sorry,  ma'am but we haven't because you have the Do Not Disturb sign up all the time." The woman said that had *nothing* to do with the poor service and when were we going to send someone. My colleague said "would now work?"

Of course not! No one should be going into that room until she's checked out.

She got told "when you want something call and we'll drop it off".
Nothing to see here.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3142 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
I'm gonna need that wall again...

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3143 on: December 16, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »

Just imagine how poor co-worker felt as she tried to make sense of this. Luckily hearing it after the fact I got to laugh.
Nothing to see here.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3144 on: December 16, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
^

We may need a spin off thread here soon.

So does Michigan offer statewide reciprocity?  For example.  My physical library card is from Baltimore County.  However, I have also registered my card in Baltimore City, Howard, Anne Arundel, and Montgomery counties.  So I can visit those libraries online or in person and check out, using my Baltimore County library card.  The registration process is free and basically as long as I had a library card from SOMEWHERE in the state, I could register in another county.

Does Michigan work this way?

Nope, not with Overdrive.  With Overdrive, you must reside in the actual area of card use (or be staff in that area, which is why I can access Overdrive through 3 library systems - staff in 2, live in 1).

You can use your card in different counties/libraries provided you have the MichCard sticker.  (Which is ending at the end of the year, though).

We do offer MelCat, which is a way to access the books of almost every library in the state through inter-library loan.

Some libraries do not limit you to having to live in the area in order to get a library card through them.  My 'home library' has a residency requirement.  My big work library doesn't.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #3145 on: December 16, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
Also, to the lady who keeps asking, demanding and crying for The Long Kiss Goodnight.  It was purchased weeks ago and put on hold for you.  Why didn't you pick it up?

Total aside, but this is my uncle's favorite Christmas movie.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

PeterM

« Reply #3146 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Nope, not with Overdrive.  With Overdrive, you must reside in the actual area of card use (or be staff in that area, which is why I can access Overdrive through 3 library systems - staff in 2, live in 1).

My library uses Overdrive and I'm not aware of such a requirement for us. You need to have a valid library card, but there are at least three big library systems that I'm eligible for even though I don't live in their service area. And I know of people who have moved out of an area but still maintain their card specifically for Overdrive or other online services. I would guess that's not on, but it's not really worth the hassle of tracking that sort of patron down.

Anyone here have any experience with Freading, since I mention other services? It looks interesting, and I like the "no waiting period or holds" bit, but I can't really get a feel for how big a collection they have and whether it'd be worth it. I did notice that every library I saw that offers Freading also offers at least one other major online library service, like Overdrive or 3M. That makes me leery of Freading's collection size.

cwm

« Reply #3147 on: December 16, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
General question for the librarians, because I want to make sure I wasn't horribly off base.

I was living in the dorms in college. I had a student ID showing I was a valid student, I had various pieces of mail from my parents sent to me at the address at the dorms. I went into a local library (right across the street from the dorms and college) and asked to get a library card. I was told by the woman working the desk that without a valid local address, I wouldn't be able to. Okay, I went to get some mail with my address, had my student ID (photo ID) and my driver's license. I was then told that to have proof of a local address, I'd need some sort of utilities bill with my name and address on it.

Is this common? I didn't have any utilities (parents paid cell phone, no bills came to me at the dorms) and apparently the rent agreement at the dorms and the Student ID showing that I was enrolled as a full time student weren't acceptable.

The weird part is when I came back home and needed to get a new account at the local library at my hometown, I had my DL ready, as well as a cell phone bill, but they didn't even ask to see proof of residency. They just asked what my address was. Admittedly, I had an account there from way back when, and they may have looked that up and reactivated it, but it was just such a complete difference from college town to hometown.

Kaymyth

« Reply #3148 on: December 16, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

Just imagine how poor co-worker felt as she tried to make sense of this. Luckily hearing it after the fact I got to laugh.

So, basically she was expecting House Elves.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3149 on: December 16, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
General question for the librarians, because I want to make sure I wasn't horribly off base.

I was living in the dorms in college. I had a student ID showing I was a valid student, I had various pieces of mail from my parents sent to me at the address at the dorms. I went into a local library (right across the street from the dorms and college) and asked to get a library card. I was told by the woman working the desk that without a valid local address, I wouldn't be able to. Okay, I went to get some mail with my address, had my student ID (photo ID) and my driver's license. I was then told that to have proof of a local address, I'd need some sort of utilities bill with my name and address on it.

Is this common? I didn't have any utilities (parents paid cell phone, no bills came to me at the dorms) and apparently the rent agreement at the dorms and the Student ID showing that I was enrolled as a full time student weren't acceptable.

The weird part is when I came back home and needed to get a new account at the local library at my hometown, I had my DL ready, as well as a cell phone bill, but they didn't even ask to see proof of residency. They just asked what my address was. Admittedly, I had an account there from way back when, and they may have looked that up and reactivated it, but it was just such a complete difference from college town to hometown.
It is normal to want proof of address at a library, some won't lend to non-locals. One library I'm a member of I can join as a person who lives out if the council area, but I need to pay a fee.

And it doesn't have to be a bill, any official letter with a letter head and your printed name and address should have been fine.

It's comical the pieces of paper you need to procure to prove you are a particular person.