Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 719863 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3165 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
DD is going on a class trip overseas and needed to renew her expired passport.  Children who are 16/17 fall in a nebulous area where if you have an expired passport and a driver's licence, you do not need your birth certificate.  We check this on-line and had printed out the "what you need" paperwork.

Off to the post office.  Now, last year, for this class trip with DS, found out at the downtown govt office, that they will not take cash, but only cashier's check.  !?Q!!??  So I ran around town in half drizzle/rain and found a bank to take pity on me and convert my cash in hand into a cashier's check. 

So, with DD, I had a checkbook and was ready to go.  We had a 10am appt.

Guy not in yet, said head manager.  Waited until 10:15 and then spent another 1o minutes watching him do some sort of data entry. 

Finally!  ready!!

"need birth certificate."

No, we do not.  Please see the official list here, her licence, school id, expired passport, proof of residency (bank statement from her green apple kids' club acct) and he kept fussing.

I asked him to show me where it said we needed her birth certificate.  He looked at all three pages with a huff and bother and could not find it.  he checked his computer. 

He then called Houston, the main branch office place for processing passports, and he came back with, "well, they want us to ask anyway, but they said I do not HAVE to get it with all the other official stuff you do have.  It is NOT on the site."

So DD got processed and we left.  I asked if i could tell anyone about the confusion and get it cleared up for other 16/17 year olds, but was told only I could call a number on the official papers.

At home, made a phone call to ask them to make it more clear on the website and click on pdf file.  was told that no one in person could be spoken to about that, only could sent messages on the computer message site.  Which was not working, I found out.

So, even to offer constructive criticism,  you cannot tell someone on site at the post office.  You cannot leave a message on the phone or with a live person.  You must find the tiny icon on the page and type in your issue.  And hope it goes through. 

Ugh. 

so, maybe this is the wrong thread, but I felt like I had to be Harry Potter to produce something that was not needed. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

CakeEater

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3166 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »
Not exactly a "not Harry Potter" moment, but sort of an inverse "these are not the droids you're looking for" moment of which the posts about demonstrating residency reminded me - years ago, I moved back to home state and needed to get a driver's license.  My brother took me to the DMV, and was by me when I went to the counter.  I had my driver's license from the state I had moved from, but as I was staying with family short term, had no utilites in my name so had brought some other mail items and paperwork which I had been told over the phone would suffice to show residency.

The clerk said I also needed my husband or a parent (I was well over 21) to vouch for my residency in person.  I said I was not married but my brother was with me.  Nope, siblings would not do.  I said "oh, I forgot - this is my husband."  The clerk then accepted my brother's straight faced statement "yes, I am her husband, I can vouch that she is living here now."  I left with a license, and my brother and I were equally bemused and amused, while wondering what rationale led to a requirement to hear certain words uttered by one unknown, unverified person to support the residency claim of another.

That's hilarious. I'm imagining it being said in kind-of a robot voice, as well.  And obviously in your case, it didn't matter if they knew that the peron was lying, as long as someone said the magic words.

It is ridiculous isn't it? I recently had to have my passport re-issued, and needed someone to sign a photo of me to vouch that it was me. Just anyone - well, someone who had known me for over a year - but not a JP, police officer, whatever. Why is my friend saying I'm me more believable than me saying I'm me?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3167 on: December 17, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
It's common to have a guarantor. The person needs to be a non-relative and have a passport or be a registered voter living at their address for two years.

That reminds me, I need mine changed.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3168 on: December 17, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »
I managed to lose mine somehow, and had to get a replacement.  I took an older, cancelled passport, my driver's license, and my military ID.   Filled out all the paperwork and took it to the Post Office.  Got a really obnoxious character, like RegionMom's, a kid about half my age.  First he asked why I needed a new passport when I had a current one, then when I explained that it was lost asked why I was lying when I had one in my hand.  He didn't like it when I gave him one of those Grandma Looks and explained yet again, that this one was CANCELLED.  Then for the photo, he tried to make me take my glasses off.  Said it was there in the regulations, no glasses.  Well, you know what?  I can READ, and the regs said no SUNglasses.  He finally took the photo when he couldn't find in writing where it said no glasses, but gave me this snotty line about "Don't come back to ME when they return your application because you're wearing glasses!"

Yes, I reported his attitude to the Postmaster, and got my new Passport in the mail a couple of weeks later, no problem at all.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jules1980

« Reply #3169 on: December 17, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
DH trained as an electrician in his late teens. I joke that he must have got some kind of zap that gave him a superpower that makes things work when he touches them. Seriously, the number is times people have tried and tried to get stuff working to no avail - TV, calculator, computer, kitchen scale - then he comes and does the exact same thing and it works is amazing.

I suggested a high-vis cape for his superhero costume, but he said it would have to be a vest - a cape wouldn't pass safety standards.

No capes!

Bwhahaha

perpetua

« Reply #3170 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
I was in the local chemist the other day waiting for my prescription when a man walked up to the counter and the conversation went like this:

Man: "Excuse me - this might be an odd question, but has this chemist always been owned by the same people?"
Girl Behind Counter: "I don't think so. Why?"
M: "Well, I bought some photos in to be developed and forgot to pick them up but it was quite a while ago, and I was just wondering if they were still here."
GBC: "Oh right. When?"
M: "About 1988."
GBC: "Erm - I'm sorry, when?!"
M: "1988."
GBC: "Ah. Yes. Um, I don't think we'll still have those..."
M: "So it's changed hands since then? It isn't still the same owners? They won't still have them out the back somewhere?"
GBC: "Um, it's not the same people, and even if it was, I doubt very much they'd still have your photos..."
M: "Oh. Okay, thanks very much anyway..." - and off he goes on his merry way.

One of the weirdest things I ever saw in a shop. We all sort of looked at each other in a "Did that really just happen?" kind of way and I left *very* curious as to what the photos were and why he'd suddenly remembered them 25 years later.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3171 on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
Not exactly a "not Harry Potter" moment, but sort of an inverse "these are not the droids you're looking for" moment of which the posts about demonstrating residency reminded me - years ago, I moved back to home state and needed to get a driver's license.  My brother took me to the DMV, and was by me when I went to the counter.  I had my driver's license from the state I had moved from, but as I was staying with family short term, had no utilites in my name so had brought some other mail items and paperwork which I had been told over the phone would suffice to show residency.

The clerk said I also needed my husband or a parent (I was well over 21) to vouch for my residency in person.  I said I was not married but my brother was with me.  Nope, siblings would not do.  I said "oh, I forgot - this is my husband."  The clerk then accepted my brother's straight faced statement "yes, I am her husband, I can vouch that she is living here now."  I left with a license, and my brother and I were equally bemused and amused, while wondering what rationale led to a requirement to hear certain words uttered by one unknown, unverified person to support the residency claim of another.

That's hilarious. I'm imagining it being said in kind-of a robot voice, as well.  And obviously in your case, it didn't matter if they knew that the peron was lying, as long as someone said the magic words.

It is ridiculous isn't it? I recently had to have my passport re-issued, and needed someone to sign a photo of me to vouch that it was me. Just anyone - well, someone who had known me for over a year - but not a JP, police officer, whatever. Why is my friend saying I'm me more believable than me saying I'm me?

Even more ridiculous - in my country we can renew passports online.   The guarantor process now involves simply entering the name, passport number and phone number of somebody who knows you.       Of course, the theory is that they can call that person to verify and that person is themself verified by having a valid passport.   But in reality it means no forms and no mucking around, all you need is the passport number.       It's common to see people on my Facebook newsfeed saying "need to renew my passport, can somebody provide me with their passport number"?  (Obviously they provide the info offline).   I'ts very convenient.   My passport arrived within a couple of days!

Convenient for me as I live overseas.    It's basically impossible for me to find somebody who meets the criteria e.g. who has known me for longer than a year, has a valid passport from *my* country of origin, and is not related to me in any way.     It was a harry potter situation back then because I literally didn't have any home country friends I could give the paperwork too!  I would have had to post it to my country to get filled in by a friend, then sent back.   So now they don't need to sign it or see it or fill anything in it's great!    :) 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3172 on: December 17, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »

I'm wondering what would have happened if you were single and had moved to this state without any relatives there. In my state, you have 30 days to get your new license and car registration--it is conceivable that you might not have received a utility bill in time to get all that done.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3173 on: December 17, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
I was still being badgered by the state of California about my car registration for a year or so after I moved to Oregon and changed my residency.  I got one of those "Notice of Incomplete Registration" letters, so I wrote back and informed California that I had moved to Oregon and had changed my residency, and included a copy of my lease and my new Oregon driver's license.  Then I got a letter more or less insisting that I register my car in California or face penalties.  Finally, after two more letters they finally acknowledged that I'd provided all the paperwork they'd asked for, so gee whiz, I really had moved to Oregon. 

The best letter we got, though, was one asking Mr. Sirius to consider enlisting in a different branch of the military than the one he'd just retired from.  He laughed derisively and dropped it into the shred box.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3174 on: December 17, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »

I'm wondering what would have happened if you were single and had moved to this state without any relatives there. In my state, you have 30 days to get your new license and car registration--it is conceivable that you might not have received a utility bill in time to get all that done.

Only ten days in my state for new license and vehicle registration. Makes it tough.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3175 on: December 17, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »
We had a Mazda Protege in 2001. It still shows on our records, even though it was traded in for another car in 2006. It was never retitled in Florida, so it must have been sold out of state.

thunderroad

« Reply #3176 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
We just had a guest here who - every day- put out her "do not disturb" sign. And left it there. All day. She just complained bitterly to a co-worker that we a terrible hotel for not cleaning her room,  restocking toiletries or giving her fresh towels. My colleague looked up her room and said "we're sorry,  ma'am but we haven't because you have the Do Not Disturb sign up all the time." The woman said that had *nothing* to do with the poor service and when were we going to send someone. My colleague said "would now work?"

Of course not! No one should be going into that room until she's checked out.

She got told "when you want something call and we'll drop it off".

Although from the other side of that transaction--I was once staying in a very nice hotel while working on a trial, and had literally worked all night.  I returned to my hotel room at about 8 a.m., carefully engaged the Do Not Disturb, and tried to sleep.

For about 45 minutes, until Housekeeping called, wanting to know when I wanted the room cleaned. 

Wait, I said--isn't the Do Not Disturb on?

Yes! Said the unnecessarily cheerful voice.  That's why we're calling you!  Because we need to know when to disturb you! 

I have never been able to understand the thought process behind that phone call . . . .

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3177 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
There is a new kind of nail polish that is gel and must be dried using a specific LED light. It says so on the bottles, but there was a negative customer review because the customer couldn't get the polish to dry.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3178 on: December 17, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
Region Mom, you don't want to complain to the post office, but to the state department. 

You can contact them in the following ways

http://contact-us.state.gov/app/ask
Twitter: @travelgov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/usdos

PeterM

« Reply #3179 on: December 18, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »
Nope, not with Overdrive.  With Overdrive, you must reside in the actual area of card use (or be staff in that area, which is why I can access Overdrive through 3 library systems - staff in 2, live in 1).

My library uses Overdrive and I'm not aware of such a requirement for us.

It's definitely a requirement.  So maybe your libraries don't track their patrons or verify addresses (or something to that effect).  Other online services have different requirements, but Overdrive has a residency requirement.  It's also possible some of those libraries have a non-residence card (where you would pay a nominal fee to have card with that system to access the extras, like Overdrive).

My library is pretty ridiculous when it comes to proof of residency. I think this comes down the definition of "Service Area." Here's the rule from Overdrive:

"“Authorized Patron(s)” shall mean those individuals who provide proof of residency, ownership of property, employment, or enrollment in school or similar institution in the Library’s service area and which the Library authorizes to download Digital Content from the Library Website or otherwise utilize the Application Services."

Every library system I'm familiar with basically just lets anyone who qualifies for a card use it to access their Overdrive services, so I'm guessing that's how they're defining their service area for this purpose. My county has reciprocal agreements with two neighboring counties, and nothing stops someone from county A using their cards from counties B and C to triple their allowed # of Overdrive check outs. Heck, the digital library info page of the county next door explicitly tells its patrons to use the other counties' cards to do just that.

Interestingly, non-resident cards are the only ones I can think of that can't be finagled to qualify as "in the service area," but those patrons can use the service too, as far as I know. It's possible Overdrive could prevent them by freezing out certain patron types, but that wouldn't work with libraries that don't have a variety of patron types.