Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 610653 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3180 on: December 18, 2013, 02:44:43 AM »
The area of card use gets trickier with Overdrive consortiums.  Our consortium includes libraries from the Tennessee border to the gulf coast.  We issue a card to anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in the county. We do have a few non resident cards. I'm certain they are accessing the ebook collection and we don't separate them out.

Proof of ID is a photo ID with current proof of address? Driver's license? No problem. Work ID? We will need a proof address. When I came on staff I caused a stir because the staff had been saying "photo ID", but all our info and policies just said "ID and verification of address". They freaked out when I took mail instead of a utility bill.  Sorry, that wasn't in any info or policy.  I kept saying we have to be consistent. Don't publish one set of instructions then say that's not sufficient.  The policy does now say photo ID.

I had to deal with that when renewing DSs' passports many years ago.  They each had their first as infants and DS1 was renewing for the second time.  The clerk kept asking for birth certificates. Not needed.  Here's their passports and military ID cards.  It took us three times longer than needed.

I tried to have the library become a passport processing location, but was turned down.  But, we actually know how to follow the rules and verify ID. Plus, we'd be open on Saturday and some evenings!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

squeakers

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3181 on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »
I was in the local chemist the other day waiting for my prescription when a man walked up to the counter and the conversation went like this:

Man: "Excuse me - this might be an odd question, but has this chemist always been owned by the same people?"
Girl Behind Counter: "I don't think so. Why?"
M: "Well, I bought some photos in to be developed and forgot to pick them up but it was quite a while ago, and I was just wondering if they were still here."
GBC: "Oh right. When?"
M: "About 1988."
GBC: "Erm - I'm sorry, when?!"
M: "1988."
GBC: "Ah. Yes. Um, I don't think we'll still have those..."
M: "So it's changed hands since then? It isn't still the same owners? They won't still have them out the back somewhere?"
GBC: "Um, it's not the same people, and even if it was, I doubt very much they'd still have your photos..."
M: "Oh. Okay, thanks very much anyway..." - and off he goes on his merry way.

One of the weirdest things I ever saw in a shop. We all sort of looked at each other in a "Did that really just happen?" kind of way and I left *very* curious as to what the photos were and why he'd suddenly remembered them 25 years later.

Squee! You got to meet The Doctor! It's the only explanation I can come up with, anyway  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3182 on: December 19, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
A time traveler or someone who suddenly recovered from a bout of amnesia?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3183 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
Then he can just travel back in time to 1988 and pick up the prints. ;D >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #3184 on: December 19, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
Then he can just travel back in time to 1988 and pick up the prints. ;D >:D

Unless it's the Doctor, because he can't go back on his own personal timeline.

Except for when he can.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

PeterM

« Reply #3185 on: December 29, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
I had an impossible patron the other day that I was just reminded of. A coworker directed him to me because there was apparently a problem with our wifi. Happens occasionally, so I talk to the guy.

I ask the patron what's wrong and he says the wifi isn't working. There are other people using it just fine, but I can't get any more detail than a very convinced "Your wifi's busted" out of this guy. So I ask him if I can look at his laptop and he agrees. He takes me through the whole process he's been trying to go through for a fair while now, all the while repeating "Your wifi's busted."

He opens up Internet Explorer, and it goes to his homepage with no problems. He tells it to go to YouTube and it goes there no problem. He searches for a video and it goes to that page no problem. It won't play the video, though, because as the page clearly displays he doesn't have Flash installed, or whatever it is you need to look at videos. This is the final, incontrovertible evidence he presents that "Your wifi's busted." He hadn't bothered to read the message, of course, and apparently thought the wifi was strong enough to get him that far but fizzled out before it could actually get the video on the screen.

So far he's just ignorant, not annoying. But when I explained that his IE just couldn't display the videos he said, "Oh, yeah, my friend told me not to use IE" and that it's never worked for him in the past, but that Flamingvixen works just fine and it's what he normally uses. So I opened up Flamingvixen for him and, look at that, it works just fine.

I cannot understand the mentality that takes

Evidence 1: Someone I trust told me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence 2: My own experience tells me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence3: Hey, IE's not working!

and turns it into

Conclusion: "Your wifi's busted!"

instead of

Conclusion: "I guess IE doesn't work for this."

greencat

« Reply #3186 on: December 29, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
I had an impossible patron the other day that I was just reminded of. A coworker directed him to me because there was apparently a problem with our wifi. Happens occasionally, so I talk to the guy.

I ask the patron what's wrong and he says the wifi isn't working. There are other people using it just fine, but I can't get any more detail than a very convinced "Your wifi's busted" out of this guy. So I ask him if I can look at his laptop and he agrees. He takes me through the whole process he's been trying to go through for a fair while now, all the while repeating "Your wifi's busted."

He opens up Internet Explorer, and it goes to his homepage with no problems. He tells it to go to YouTube and it goes there no problem. He searches for a video and it goes to that page no problem. It won't play the video, though, because as the page clearly displays he doesn't have Flash installed, or whatever it is you need to look at videos. This is the final, incontrovertible evidence he presents that "Your wifi's busted." He hadn't bothered to read the message, of course, and apparently thought the wifi was strong enough to get him that far but fizzled out before it could actually get the video on the screen.

So far he's just ignorant, not annoying. But when I explained that his IE just couldn't display the videos he said, "Oh, yeah, my friend told me not to use IE" and that it's never worked for him in the past, but that Flamingvixen works just fine and it's what he normally uses. So I opened up Flamingvixen for him and, look at that, it works just fine.

I cannot understand the mentality that takes

Evidence 1: Someone I trust told me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence 2: My own experience tells me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence3: Hey, IE's not working!

and turns it into

Conclusion: "Your wifi's busted!"

instead of

Conclusion: "I guess IE doesn't work for this."

We have a joke at my work that we can't expect our customers to read, do basic math, or use logic to solve a problem.  Or, for that matter, listen to directions.  Most of them, quite frankly, if they'd been able to do any of those things, wouldn't have needed to call us in the first place.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3187 on: January 01, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Iíve had more than one customer call to say our website is not working.  The mind-breaking thing is that we ask them to try on their other computer and it works, but because itís not working on their preferred computer, they still insist our website is broken so we need to fix it.  Huh?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3188 on: January 01, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
VorGuy had his computer break down on his birthday.  I have tried a factory reset from the hidden partition, a factory rest from the optical disk set, replacing the hard drive to do a clean install from the optical disk set, and installing Linux on the replacement hard drive.

The Linux install on a different hard drive was the only thing that worked at all.

We had to buy a new computer and I spent several days running recovery software trying to get most (not all) of his various Power Point, Excel, Word, and photos to copy to the new computer. 

I found a shareware program (Crystal Disk) that gives you a status report on all hard drives connected to your computer.  That hard drive is "toast" due to bad sectors, it seems.  But I can't get it up & working to try any diagnostic software for the hardware on it...which only works on Windows. 

But he is still making the rare comment about not liking Windows 8, wishing one particular file (or the other) had been saved, and asking me why *I* had never made a back up of his computer while he was at work....

Because the one time I mentioned trying it, he got mad about me "messing with" his computer and changing the desktop & "loosing" a couple of draft documents in Word.  So - I didn't DO anything with it until he handed it to me because it had quit working....

Which is a little late in the process...

The last time he had something go wrong (monitor screen burning itself out from the middle) - he put off even telling me that something was going wrong until the warranty period had expired. 

I swear, I need to use every computer in the family once every two months or so, just to find out if anything is going wrong (at least while they are still covered by warranty!) - that way, I KNOW that I need to call the company!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SoCalVal

« Reply #3189 on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »
But he is still making the rare comment about not liking Windows 8, wishing one particular file (or the other) had been saved, and asking me why *I* had never made a back up of his computer while he was at work....

Because the one time I mentioned trying it, he got mad about me "messing with" his computer and changing the desktop & "loosing" a couple of draft documents in Word.  So - I didn't DO anything with it until he handed it to me because it had quit working....

You're much nicer than I am.  I recall, years ago, being accused of saving changes to a file I was trying to help someone fix (this was back when Excel only allowed you to undo ONE change).  I know I didn't because I knew that the original would be lost forever if I saved the changes that screwed up the file.  The person I was helping accused me of saving her changes, and my useless liar of a manager jumped in claiming she saw me do it (I know I hadn't done it but gave up at that point when my manager threw me under the bus).  Up until that point, whenever the employees messed up something on that file, I would help them fix it.  After that point, I said (to these people who made the accusations) that I would never help them fix the file again so that I couldn't be accused of messing it up.  Sure enough, the same person messed up the file again and asked me for help.  I told her to remember the last time she asked me for help then accused me of messing it up so she was on her own.  She didn't dare ask me for help with that file ever again.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3190 on: January 02, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
Iíve had more than one customer call to say our website is not working.  The mind-breaking thing is that we ask them to try on their other computer and it works, but because itís not working on their preferred computer, they still insist our website is broken so we need to fix it.  Huh?

Kind of the opposite of that..a professor at work couldn't get a particular company's website to work for her. She e-mailed IT and asked them to fix it. IT replied and told her it wasn't an issue on our end, it was an issue with the non-related company's website and thus, they could not fix it. So then the professor e-mailed the Associate Dean of the university and said "can you make IT fix this issue for me??!" The Associate Dean told her "uh..no. Maybe you should call the company instead of our IT department."

darling

« Reply #3191 on: January 02, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

Kind of the opposite of that..a professor at work couldn't get a particular company's website to work for her. She e-mailed IT and asked them to fix it. IT replied and told her it wasn't an issue on our end, it was an issue with the non-related company's website and thus, they could not fix it. So then the professor e-mailed the Associate Dean of the university and said "can you make IT fix this issue for me??!" The Associate Dean told her "uh..no. Maybe you should call the company instead of our IT department."

And then the professor starts a vendetta against IT for making her look dumb... Been there, done that, ignoring her requests unless she submits them via email so I have a paper trail...

MissRose

« Reply #3192 on: January 23, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »

I've gotten that before.... the joy of working in tech support!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3193 on: January 23, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
Peter M, we had a woman who used to bring in her laptop on a daily basis and would refuse our wifi server because....she wanted to use the one in HER APARTMENT on the other side of town.  We told her (repeatedly) that is she wanted to use the server in her apartment then she should just, you know, STAY HOME.  But she had an answer for that:  "I don't know what I am doing and I need your help."

Yeah, we figured that out on our own, lady.  If you want our help, then you gotta use our wifi.

And, if I had a dime for every person who insists it's our fault that they cannot access old websites which are clearly labeled with some warning like "THIS SITE NO LONGER EXISTS.  FOR OLDER VERSIONS CLICK HERE" I could buy the whole internet.  It is a mystery how so many people can figure out how to log on and surf, but they CANNOT READ THE DISCLAIMERS or the labels that say things like "The site is being updated" or "under construction, not available."   Also, I am sorry that Rachel Ray's site hasn't been updated this week, but it is not my job to get in touch with Ms. Ray and inform her.  She doesn't work here.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3194 on: January 23, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
Oh no!  I record Ms. Ray's TV show to watch while I make dinner.  I guess I knew that she had a website, but I hadn't visited it.  I'll bet I can get lost for hours there, too. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius