News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 12:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1483576 times)

camlan

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3165 on: December 17, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Not exactly a "not Harry Potter" moment, but sort of an inverse "these are not the droids you're looking for" moment of which the posts about demonstrating residency reminded me - years ago, I moved back to home state and needed to get a driver's license.  My brother took me to the DMV, and was by me when I went to the counter.  I had my driver's license from the state I had moved from, but as I was staying with family short term, had no utilites in my name so had brought some other mail items and paperwork which I had been told over the phone would suffice to show residency.

The clerk said I also needed my husband or a parent (I was well over 21) to vouch for my residency in person.  I said I was not married but my brother was with me.  Nope, siblings would not do.  I said "oh, I forgot - this is my husband."  The clerk then accepted my brother's straight faced statement "yes, I am her husband, I can vouch that she is living here now."  I left with a license, and my brother and I were equally bemused and amused, while wondering what rationale led to a requirement to hear certain words uttered by one unknown, unverified person to support the residency claim of another.

I'm wondering what would have happened if you were single and had moved to this state without any relatives there. In my state, you have 30 days to get your new license and car registration--it is conceivable that you might not have received a utility bill in time to get all that done.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sirius

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3166 on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
I was still being badgered by the state of California about my car registration for a year or so after I moved to Oregon and changed my residency.  I got one of those "Notice of Incomplete Registration" letters, so I wrote back and informed California that I had moved to Oregon and had changed my residency, and included a copy of my lease and my new Oregon driver's license.  Then I got a letter more or less insisting that I register my car in California or face penalties.  Finally, after two more letters they finally acknowledged that I'd provided all the paperwork they'd asked for, so gee whiz, I really had moved to Oregon. 

The best letter we got, though, was one asking Mr. Sirius to consider enlisting in a different branch of the military than the one he'd just retired from.  He laughed derisively and dropped it into the shred box.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3167 on: December 17, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
Not exactly a "not Harry Potter" moment, but sort of an inverse "these are not the droids you're looking for" moment of which the posts about demonstrating residency reminded me - years ago, I moved back to home state and needed to get a driver's license.  My brother took me to the DMV, and was by me when I went to the counter.  I had my driver's license from the state I had moved from, but as I was staying with family short term, had no utilites in my name so had brought some other mail items and paperwork which I had been told over the phone would suffice to show residency.

The clerk said I also needed my husband or a parent (I was well over 21) to vouch for my residency in person.  I said I was not married but my brother was with me.  Nope, siblings would not do.  I said "oh, I forgot - this is my husband."  The clerk then accepted my brother's straight faced statement "yes, I am her husband, I can vouch that she is living here now."  I left with a license, and my brother and I were equally bemused and amused, while wondering what rationale led to a requirement to hear certain words uttered by one unknown, unverified person to support the residency claim of another.

I'm wondering what would have happened if you were single and had moved to this state without any relatives there. In my state, you have 30 days to get your new license and car registration--it is conceivable that you might not have received a utility bill in time to get all that done.

Only ten days in my state for new license and vehicle registration. Makes it tough.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

« Reply #3168 on: December 17, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
We had a Mazda Protege in 2001. It still shows on our records, even though it was traded in for another car in 2006. It was never retitled in Florida, so it must have been sold out of state.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

thunderroad

« Reply #3169 on: December 17, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
We just had a guest here who - every day- put out her "do not disturb" sign. And left it there. All day. She just complained bitterly to a co-worker that we a terrible hotel for not cleaning her room,  restocking toiletries or giving her fresh towels. My colleague looked up her room and said "we're sorry,  ma'am but we haven't because you have the Do Not Disturb sign up all the time." The woman said that had *nothing* to do with the poor service and when were we going to send someone. My colleague said "would now work?"

Of course not! No one should be going into that room until she's checked out.

She got told "when you want something call and we'll drop it off".

Although from the other side of that transaction--I was once staying in a very nice hotel while working on a trial, and had literally worked all night.  I returned to my hotel room at about 8 a.m., carefully engaged the Do Not Disturb, and tried to sleep.

For about 45 minutes, until Housekeeping called, wanting to know when I wanted the room cleaned. 

Wait, I said--isn't the Do Not Disturb on?

Yes! Said the unnecessarily cheerful voice.  That's why we're calling you!  Because we need to know when to disturb you! 

I have never been able to understand the thought process behind that phone call . . . .

ladyknight1

« Reply #3170 on: December 17, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
There is a new kind of nail polish that is gel and must be dried using a specific LED light. It says so on the bottles, but there was a negative customer review because the customer couldn't get the polish to dry.
-J.R.R Tolkien

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3171 on: December 17, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
Region Mom, you don't want to complain to the post office, but to the state department. 

You can contact them in the following ways

http://contact-us.state.gov/app/ask
Twitter: @travelgov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/usdos

PeterM

« Reply #3172 on: December 18, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Nope, not with Overdrive.  With Overdrive, you must reside in the actual area of card use (or be staff in that area, which is why I can access Overdrive through 3 library systems - staff in 2, live in 1).

My library uses Overdrive and I'm not aware of such a requirement for us.

It's definitely a requirement.  So maybe your libraries don't track their patrons or verify addresses (or something to that effect).  Other online services have different requirements, but Overdrive has a residency requirement.  It's also possible some of those libraries have a non-residence card (where you would pay a nominal fee to have card with that system to access the extras, like Overdrive).

My library is pretty ridiculous when it comes to proof of residency. I think this comes down the definition of "Service Area." Here's the rule from Overdrive:

"“Authorized Patron(s)” shall mean those individuals who provide proof of residency, ownership of property, employment, or enrollment in school or similar institution in the Library’s service area and which the Library authorizes to download Digital Content from the Library Website or otherwise utilize the Application Services."

Every library system I'm familiar with basically just lets anyone who qualifies for a card use it to access their Overdrive services, so I'm guessing that's how they're defining their service area for this purpose. My county has reciprocal agreements with two neighboring counties, and nothing stops someone from county A using their cards from counties B and C to triple their allowed # of Overdrive check outs. Heck, the digital library info page of the county next door explicitly tells its patrons to use the other counties' cards to do just that.

Interestingly, non-resident cards are the only ones I can think of that can't be finagled to qualify as "in the service area," but those patrons can use the service too, as far as I know. It's possible Overdrive could prevent them by freezing out certain patron types, but that wouldn't work with libraries that don't have a variety of patron types.

Library Dragon

« Reply #3173 on: December 18, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »
The area of card use gets trickier with Overdrive consortiums.  Our consortium includes libraries from the Tennessee border to the gulf coast.  We issue a card to anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in the county. We do have a few non resident cards. I'm certain they are accessing the ebook collection and we don't separate them out.

Proof of ID is a photo ID with current proof of address? Driver's license? No problem. Work ID? We will need a proof address. When I came on staff I caused a stir because the staff had been saying "photo ID", but all our info and policies just said "ID and verification of address". They freaked out when I took mail instead of a utility bill.  Sorry, that wasn't in any info or policy.  I kept saying we have to be consistent. Don't publish one set of instructions then say that's not sufficient.  The policy does now say photo ID.

I had to deal with that when renewing DSs' passports many years ago.  They each had their first as infants and DS1 was renewing for the second time.  The clerk kept asking for birth certificates. Not needed.  Here's their passports and military ID cards.  It took us three times longer than needed.

I tried to have the library become a passport processing location, but was turned down.  But, we actually know how to follow the rules and verify ID. Plus, we'd be open on Saturday and some evenings!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

squeakers

« Reply #3174 on: December 19, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
I was in the local chemist the other day waiting for my prescription when a man walked up to the counter and the conversation went like this:

Man: "Excuse me - this might be an odd question, but has this chemist always been owned by the same people?"
Girl Behind Counter: "I don't think so. Why?"
M: "Well, I bought some photos in to be developed and forgot to pick them up but it was quite a while ago, and I was just wondering if they were still here."
GBC: "Oh right. When?"
M: "About 1988."
GBC: "Erm - I'm sorry, when?!"
M: "1988."
GBC: "Ah. Yes. Um, I don't think we'll still have those..."
M: "So it's changed hands since then? It isn't still the same owners? They won't still have them out the back somewhere?"
GBC: "Um, it's not the same people, and even if it was, I doubt very much they'd still have your photos..."
M: "Oh. Okay, thanks very much anyway..." - and off he goes on his merry way.

One of the weirdest things I ever saw in a shop. We all sort of looked at each other in a "Did that really just happen?" kind of way and I left *very* curious as to what the photos were and why he'd suddenly remembered them 25 years later.

Squee! You got to meet The Doctor! It's the only explanation I can come up with, anyway  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3175 on: December 19, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
A time traveler or someone who suddenly recovered from a bout of amnesia?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3176 on: December 19, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
Then he can just travel back in time to 1988 and pick up the prints. ;D >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #3177 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
Then he can just travel back in time to 1988 and pick up the prints. ;D >:D

Unless it's the Doctor, because he can't go back on his own personal timeline.

Except for when he can.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

PeterM

« Reply #3178 on: December 29, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
I had an impossible patron the other day that I was just reminded of. A coworker directed him to me because there was apparently a problem with our wifi. Happens occasionally, so I talk to the guy.

I ask the patron what's wrong and he says the wifi isn't working. There are other people using it just fine, but I can't get any more detail than a very convinced "Your wifi's busted" out of this guy. So I ask him if I can look at his laptop and he agrees. He takes me through the whole process he's been trying to go through for a fair while now, all the while repeating "Your wifi's busted."

He opens up Internet Explorer, and it goes to his homepage with no problems. He tells it to go to YouTube and it goes there no problem. He searches for a video and it goes to that page no problem. It won't play the video, though, because as the page clearly displays he doesn't have Flash installed, or whatever it is you need to look at videos. This is the final, incontrovertible evidence he presents that "Your wifi's busted." He hadn't bothered to read the message, of course, and apparently thought the wifi was strong enough to get him that far but fizzled out before it could actually get the video on the screen.

So far he's just ignorant, not annoying. But when I explained that his IE just couldn't display the videos he said, "Oh, yeah, my friend told me not to use IE" and that it's never worked for him in the past, but that Flamingvixen works just fine and it's what he normally uses. So I opened up Flamingvixen for him and, look at that, it works just fine.

I cannot understand the mentality that takes

Evidence 1: Someone I trust told me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence 2: My own experience tells me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence3: Hey, IE's not working!

and turns it into

Conclusion: "Your wifi's busted!"

instead of

Conclusion: "I guess IE doesn't work for this."

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3179 on: December 29, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
I had an impossible patron the other day that I was just reminded of. A coworker directed him to me because there was apparently a problem with our wifi. Happens occasionally, so I talk to the guy.

I ask the patron what's wrong and he says the wifi isn't working. There are other people using it just fine, but I can't get any more detail than a very convinced "Your wifi's busted" out of this guy. So I ask him if I can look at his laptop and he agrees. He takes me through the whole process he's been trying to go through for a fair while now, all the while repeating "Your wifi's busted."

He opens up Internet Explorer, and it goes to his homepage with no problems. He tells it to go to YouTube and it goes there no problem. He searches for a video and it goes to that page no problem. It won't play the video, though, because as the page clearly displays he doesn't have Flash installed, or whatever it is you need to look at videos. This is the final, incontrovertible evidence he presents that "Your wifi's busted." He hadn't bothered to read the message, of course, and apparently thought the wifi was strong enough to get him that far but fizzled out before it could actually get the video on the screen.

So far he's just ignorant, not annoying. But when I explained that his IE just couldn't display the videos he said, "Oh, yeah, my friend told me not to use IE" and that it's never worked for him in the past, but that Flamingvixen works just fine and it's what he normally uses. So I opened up Flamingvixen for him and, look at that, it works just fine.

I cannot understand the mentality that takes

Evidence 1: Someone I trust told me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence 2: My own experience tells me that IE won't work for this.
Evidence3: Hey, IE's not working!

and turns it into

Conclusion: "Your wifi's busted!"

instead of

Conclusion: "I guess IE doesn't work for this."

We have a joke at my work that we can't expect our customers to read, do basic math, or use logic to solve a problem.  Or, for that matter, listen to directions.  Most of them, quite frankly, if they'd been able to do any of those things, wouldn't have needed to call us in the first place.