News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 03:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1515408 times)

rose red

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3180 on: January 01, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
Iíve had more than one customer call to say our website is not working.  The mind-breaking thing is that we ask them to try on their other computer and it works, but because itís not working on their preferred computer, they still insist our website is broken so we need to fix it.  Huh?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3181 on: January 01, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
VorGuy had his computer break down on his birthday.  I have tried a factory reset from the hidden partition, a factory rest from the optical disk set, replacing the hard drive to do a clean install from the optical disk set, and installing Linux on the replacement hard drive.

The Linux install on a different hard drive was the only thing that worked at all.

We had to buy a new computer and I spent several days running recovery software trying to get most (not all) of his various Power Point, Excel, Word, and photos to copy to the new computer. 

I found a shareware program (Crystal Disk) that gives you a status report on all hard drives connected to your computer.  That hard drive is "toast" due to bad sectors, it seems.  But I can't get it up & working to try any diagnostic software for the hardware on it...which only works on Windows. 

But he is still making the rare comment about not liking Windows 8, wishing one particular file (or the other) had been saved, and asking me why *I* had never made a back up of his computer while he was at work....

Because the one time I mentioned trying it, he got mad about me "messing with" his computer and changing the desktop & "loosing" a couple of draft documents in Word.  So - I didn't DO anything with it until he handed it to me because it had quit working....

Which is a little late in the process...

The last time he had something go wrong (monitor screen burning itself out from the middle) - he put off even telling me that something was going wrong until the warranty period had expired. 

I swear, I need to use every computer in the family once every two months or so, just to find out if anything is going wrong (at least while they are still covered by warranty!) - that way, I KNOW that I need to call the company!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

FauxFoodist

« Reply #3182 on: January 01, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
But he is still making the rare comment about not liking Windows 8, wishing one particular file (or the other) had been saved, and asking me why *I* had never made a back up of his computer while he was at work....

Because the one time I mentioned trying it, he got mad about me "messing with" his computer and changing the desktop & "loosing" a couple of draft documents in Word.  So - I didn't DO anything with it until he handed it to me because it had quit working....

You're much nicer than I am.  I recall, years ago, being accused of saving changes to a file I was trying to help someone fix (this was back when Excel only allowed you to undo ONE change).  I know I didn't because I knew that the original would be lost forever if I saved the changes that screwed up the file.  The person I was helping accused me of saving her changes, and my useless liar of a manager jumped in claiming she saw me do it (I know I hadn't done it but gave up at that point when my manager threw me under the bus).  Up until that point, whenever the employees messed up something on that file, I would help them fix it.  After that point, I said (to these people who made the accusations) that I would never help them fix the file again so that I couldn't be accused of messing it up.  Sure enough, the same person messed up the file again and asked me for help.  I told her to remember the last time she asked me for help then accused me of messing it up so she was on her own.  She didn't dare ask me for help with that file ever again.

LadyClaire

« Reply #3183 on: January 02, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
Iíve had more than one customer call to say our website is not working.  The mind-breaking thing is that we ask them to try on their other computer and it works, but because itís not working on their preferred computer, they still insist our website is broken so we need to fix it.  Huh?

Kind of the opposite of that..a professor at work couldn't get a particular company's website to work for her. She e-mailed IT and asked them to fix it. IT replied and told her it wasn't an issue on our end, it was an issue with the non-related company's website and thus, they could not fix it. So then the professor e-mailed the Associate Dean of the university and said "can you make IT fix this issue for me??!" The Associate Dean told her "uh..no. Maybe you should call the company instead of our IT department."

darling

« Reply #3184 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »

Kind of the opposite of that..a professor at work couldn't get a particular company's website to work for her. She e-mailed IT and asked them to fix it. IT replied and told her it wasn't an issue on our end, it was an issue with the non-related company's website and thus, they could not fix it. So then the professor e-mailed the Associate Dean of the university and said "can you make IT fix this issue for me??!" The Associate Dean told her "uh..no. Maybe you should call the company instead of our IT department."

And then the professor starts a vendetta against IT for making her look dumb... Been there, done that, ignoring her requests unless she submits them via email so I have a paper trail...

MissRose

« Reply #3185 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

I've gotten that before.... the joy of working in tech support!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3186 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Peter M, we had a woman who used to bring in her laptop on a daily basis and would refuse our wifi server because....she wanted to use the one in HER APARTMENT on the other side of town.  We told her (repeatedly) that is she wanted to use the server in her apartment then she should just, you know, STAY HOME.  But she had an answer for that:  "I don't know what I am doing and I need your help."

Yeah, we figured that out on our own, lady.  If you want our help, then you gotta use our wifi.

And, if I had a dime for every person who insists it's our fault that they cannot access old websites which are clearly labeled with some warning like "THIS SITE NO LONGER EXISTS.  FOR OLDER VERSIONS CLICK HERE" I could buy the whole internet.  It is a mystery how so many people can figure out how to log on and surf, but they CANNOT READ THE DISCLAIMERS or the labels that say things like "The site is being updated" or "under construction, not available."   Also, I am sorry that Rachel Ray's site hasn't been updated this week, but it is not my job to get in touch with Ms. Ray and inform her.  She doesn't work here.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3187 on: January 23, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »
Oh no!  I record Ms. Ray's TV show to watch while I make dinner.  I guess I knew that she had a website, but I hadn't visited it.  I'll bet I can get lost for hours there, too. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3188 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
Midnight Kitty, sorry--I was using that as an example.  She was the first celebrity to spring to mind...I have been asked that question since the internet first became super popular, starting with complaints that we hadn't updated Kathy Lee Gifford's recipe site and spreading to include the sites of various other celebrities who cooked and then celebrity cooks...and....so on.....But I am also pretty sure she has her own website filled with recipes and helpful hints galore....which is why I try not to look for it as I will never do anything else!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3189 on: January 24, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »
http://www.rachaelray.com/

Yep. You can lose a lot of time all right. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3190 on: January 24, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »
Peter M, we had a woman who used to bring in her laptop on a daily basis and would refuse our wifi server because....she wanted to use the one in HER APARTMENT on the other side of town.  We told her (repeatedly) that is she wanted to use the server in her apartment then she should just, you know, STAY HOME.  But she had an answer for that:  "I don't know what I am doing and I need your help."

Yeah, we figured that out on our own, lady.  If you want our help, then you gotta use our wifi.

And, if I had a dime for every person who insists it's our fault that they cannot access old websites which are clearly labeled with some warning like "THIS SITE NO LONGER EXISTS.  FOR OLDER VERSIONS CLICK HERE" I could buy the whole internet.  It is a mystery how so many people can figure out how to log on and surf, but they CANNOT READ THE DISCLAIMERS or the labels that say things like "The site is being updated" or "under construction, not available."   Also, I am sorry that Rachel Ray's site hasn't been updated this week, but it is not my job to get in touch with Ms. Ray and inform her.  She doesn't work here.
I was in a class for teachers to become tech resources on campus through the Region 4 Education Service Center. I had high hopes for getting some advanced training. We sat down, they handed out our laptops. People opened them, waited a few beats and annoucned them broken. I told the people at my table they had to turn the laptop on. No they argued laptops turn on when you open them. Finally I just reached over and pressed the power button. I swear you would have thought I disappeared the ship channel - it was magic.

Slow sinking feeling

Next meeting woman explains she didn't get the homework done because she couldn't connect to the wifi. We send the next 30 min with the whole teaching staff trouble shooting her problem. Her problem she doesn't have internet at home. She wanted to connect to the region 4 wifi. The woman lived in Pasadena - a different city according to google maps Pasadena is 27 miles from the ESC.

I feel like I'm in quicksand.

I ended up regularly getting in trouble because I finished whole assignments while the class was on first steps - this advanced class was basically Computers 101.

I had a coworker who refused to access school webmail site from home because she read that was the most likely way to get viruses. Regularly ranted that we shouldn't be using e-mail becuase that is how you get viruses. Was a team leader, turned off her cell phone at home because her Husband didn't want to be disturbed. Had her cell phone number on the phone tree because her husband didn't want the district to have their land line number. Got mad because she showed up for school, when it had been canselled and no one told her. (Fortunately when core team couldn't get her they called her team. I had already seen it on the news.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #3191 on: January 24, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »
I work at a curtain shop. When you sew coated fabric drops together to make blackout curtains, there will be little pinpricks of light visible along the seam lines. It can't be helped; this is what happens when you stick a needle through the lightproof coating.

We regularly have people ask if we can do something about the pinpricks. Answer: Sorry, no. These people are generally understanding, and the question is fair enough because we used to be able to do something about it - we used to be able to order jars of the liquid coating and paint it along the seams to fill in the holes. (It was a pain and a half and took more time and effort than it was worth, and now it's really hard to find the liquid coating anyway, so file that under Things We Don't Do Any More.)

For the real Harry Potter moment, though, we had one customer ask if we could make a seam go away. The showroom staff thought she was asking about the pinpricks of light, and started explaining, only to have her interrupt and say no, no, she meant could we make a multiple-drop curtain without seams. As in, she thought we could somehow fuse or graft the pieces of fabric together so that you couldn't tell it had been joined.

Nice showroom staff:  :o ...No. Thaaaat's not possible.
Strange Lady: Oh. *pout*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #3192 on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
I work at a curtain shop. When you sew coated fabric drops together to make blackout curtains, there will be little pinpricks of light visible along the seam lines. It can't be helped; this is what happens when you stick a needle through the lightproof coating.

We regularly have people ask if we can do something about the pinpricks. Answer: Sorry, no. These people are generally understanding, and the question is fair enough because we used to be able to do something about it - we used to be able to order jars of the liquid coating and paint it along the seams to fill in the holes. (It was a pain and a half and took more time and effort than it was worth, and now it's really hard to find the liquid coating anyway, so file that under Things We Don't Do Any More.)

For the real Harry Potter moment, though, we had one customer ask if we could make a seam go away. The showroom staff thought she was asking about the pinpricks of light, and started explaining, only to have her interrupt and say no, no, she meant could we make a multiple-drop curtain without seams. As in, she thought we could somehow fuse or graft the pieces of fabric together so that you couldn't tell it had been joined.

Pardon me if I'm being dense, but can't you layer the blackout fabric and liner and tuck the seams inside? I seem to recall my cheap store-bought blackout curtains having this design. I'm not good at technical sewing terms,  but it's like a pillowcase, turned inside-out and finished.

I mean, your last customer is definitely in the wrong, but I am wondering whether that's a solution for the rest. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3193 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
I was the civil engineer in a design charette for a parking lot.  The client wanted trees to provide shade for the cars.  He asked the landscape architect to plant "trees that birds don't like" so the cars don't get showered with bird poop.

The landscape architect looked like this =>  ???

I give him bonus points for not suggesting that they put diapers on the birds.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #3194 on: January 24, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »

Pardon me if I'm being dense, but can't you layer the blackout fabric and liner and tuck the seams inside? I seem to recall my cheap store-bought blackout curtains having this design. I'm not good at technical sewing terms,  but it's like a pillowcase, turned inside-out and finished.

I mean, your last customer is definitely in the wrong, but I am wondering whether that's a solution for the rest.

You are not being dense! That is exactly what we do with curtains that have a fashion fabric in front of a blackout lining. It just doesn't work with curtains where the fashion fabric has a blackout coating applied to the back of it and there is no separate lining. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"