Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 664176 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3210 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:22 AM »
Our library used to "forgive" people all the pages they didn't want to pay for.  It drove me crazy.  We'd complain about it to administration, but they said that at 15 cents a page (for black and white, all we had), they were still coming out ahead, so it wasn't worth it.  But what drove me crazy was that all the people who *did* pay for every page they printed were basically subsidizing the people who would print out 50 pages and never come back for them, or come back and only want 5 of them.

I did hear that they eventually went to a pay-first model after I left.

I am really good at multiplying by 15 now, though.  :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3211 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:39 PM »
SonIL told us about one this evening.  He does IT work.   A woman at his workplace insisted that she didn't like Windows 7 because it didn't have the features that she wanted.  She demanded that he reprogram Win7 so that it would now have those features.

In one hour.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3212 on: February 01, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
SonIL told us about one this evening.  He does IT work.   A woman at his workplace insisted that she didn't like Windows 7 because it didn't have the features that she wanted.  She demanded that he reprogram Win7 so that it would now have those features.

In one hour.
Give her Windows 8  >:D

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3213 on: February 01, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »

In one hour.

Nobody deserves that!! Nobody!!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

goldilocks

« Reply #3214 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
I work in IT for a warehouse.   Our system allows you to scan cartons into locations.   Basically you scan the carton barcode then scan the location barcode.

Of course people make mistakes.  They'll scan a location barcode but actually put the carton in the location above/below or beside.   Or they'll remove the carton from the location but not scan it out.

One manager requested a report of all cartons that were not in the location the system said they were in. 

buvezdevin

« Reply #3215 on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
I work in IT for a warehouse.   Our system allows you to scan cartons into locations.   Basically you scan the carton barcode then scan the location barcode.

Of course people make mistakes.  They'll scan a location barcode but actually put the carton in the location above/below or beside.   Or they'll remove the carton from the location but not scan it out.

One manager requested a report of all cartons that were not in the location the system said they were in.

That sounds like taking a roll call by asking everyone who is not present raise their hand...
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #3216 on: February 01, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »

In one hour.

Aw, that's just mean!!  :P

Going into the "How Stupid Are You?" files: A woman bought popcorn, asked for extra salt, and poured all over the popcorn herself. When her movie was over, she storms out, and bawls out my co - worker who sold her the popcorn. How dare he let her put that much salt on! It was far too much, and he should have somehow known that she would hate that much salt, when she poured it herself!

Clearly, personal responsibility lessons were lost on this one.

Also, all underage kids going to see R - rated movies: Yes, you really do need an adult with you. You really, really do. I'll get slapped with a felony if I let you in, as will everyone else who's working right now, probably. You can get your tickets refunded, so you're not out the money, but I cannot let you in unless you have a parent or guardian. No amount of begging and pleases will make me become a felon for you. I wouldn't do it for my own family; what in the Sam Hill makes you think I'll do it for a random stranger?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3217 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
Are movie ratings enforced by federal/state laws? I thought it was a voluntary thing enforced by the movie industry (in that theaters who don't enforce their rules don't get to show their movies).

I can certainly see you being in hot water with your employer if you let underage kids into an R rated movie, but I didn't know there were actual laws that would govern such a situation.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3218 on: February 01, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »

It is possible. We have one crew that does this for most of their shift. Basically it involves scanning every box/location and seeing what comes up - like taking roll call every five minutes and going "Nope, Susie still isn't here".

I'm guessing by your post that you don't have a whole crew/shift to do nothing but give this guy accuracy reports. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Library Dragon

« Reply #3219 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »
Are movie ratings enforced by federal/state laws? I thought it was a voluntary thing enforced by the movie industry (in that theaters who don't enforce their rules don't get to show their movies).

I can certainly see you being in hot water with your employer if you let underage kids into an R rated movie, but I didn't know there were actual laws that would govern such a situation.

It isn't illegal for someone younger than 17 to view an R-rated movie. Rather, the ratings are guidelines adopted by the Motion Picture Association of America, which theaters have agreed to honor.  Theaters can be in violation of their contract with film distributors.  Local municipalities and states can pass laws that address this issue, but it's not a federal crime.  Persons under 17 who are accompanied by a parent or adult guardian can see R-rated movies. 

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

I had to address the lack of legal authority of the rating system with the previous library director & board.  Our formal policy is R movies are only checked out to adult accounts (over 18).  We had 16 & 17 year-olds who had to watch "Schindler's List" for a high school class assignment. Yes, I checked it out to them.       

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #3220 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »

My managers told me that it was a felonious crime, and I can find several misdemeanor charges I could be slapped with in my state (My state is VERY strict on those things). The parent has to buy the tickets and see the movie with the child. We won't even take a parental note, because those could be forged.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:25:06 PM by violinp »
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3221 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
One of the clerks at the DMV had an interesting customer last night.  Young man came in with his father because his suspension time was up and he was now eligible to apply for a restricted driver's license (limited to driving only to work or doctor).  Except he wasn't eligible.  He had another suspension running concurrently with the restriction period.

So, I am trying to figure this out.  Not quite a year ago, Young Guy (I'll call him Guy) is involved in an accident.  Both cars are totalled, and the other driver is injured.  Local police determine that Guy is drunk and the cause of the accident.  They start to arrest him, but Guy decides that the best thing to do is climb inside his car and flee the scene.

Twenty miles later, they catch up with him.  So the first suspension and restrictions are a result of the DUI.  Fleeing and felony pursuit are far more serious offenses and have a longer suspension.  Guy and Dad pout.  "Boy, no one will cut him a break!" 

Dude.  Seriously.  It is a miracle you didn't kill someone that night, and that is not hyperbole.  You caused damage and injury, and the roads you were fleeing down are twisty and dangerous to navigate when sober.  I hope every day of this suspension is irritating, because then you will not do it again.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

MissRose

« Reply #3222 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
Several of my co-workers had this person who called in to request:

*His Gmail password be reset.  We are not Google and cannot help with that.  Co-worker #1 eventually had to say sorry I cannot help you, thank you for calling company etc then disconnect call

*His billing details for his account updated.  He refused to answer any of the security questions and demanded a supervisor.  The supervisor informed him about the need for the details to be verified 1st.  Customer was adamant that we would update without security questions etc.  Eventually the supervisor said to him you are being unreasonable here and repeated himself a few times WHY the need for security.  Customer eventually answered the question, had his billing updated then tried to say well did you take my payment, then the supervisor said it takes a few hours to process 1st.  The call took 45 minutes total and by the look of the supervisor's face, he needed a stiff drink!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3223 on: February 06, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Dear Teen Girl:

Yes, I am aware that in the children's department, they do give you a free guest pass after time on your library card has run out if you need to do homework.  That's why you use the computers in the children's and youth services department: they will give you two more hours free.

We are the adult services department, however, and we charge for the guest pass unless you have a reallllllllly convincing sob story, or the computer cut you off in mid job application, and you are, at minimum, gracious about asking for a free guest pass.

Mumbling the request into your shirt with your head turned away from me, then rolling your eyes, sighing and snapping the words out One. At. A. Time,   "Gimme.  A.  Free.  Guest.  Pass" following up with blowing a bubble of gum and then popping it in my face gets you my most sympathetic smile and the following "I am sorry, but in the adult department we do not give out free guest passes.  These are the rules by which me must abide.  Please check with the children's or teen department for a computer."

You really do not want to know what I am thinking.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3224 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
I had one today.  Got a call from a lady in regards to some charges we'd sent to her insurance company last week (on the 28th).  She wanted to know why they'd been denied.  I look in her account, we haven't received any notification from the insurance company one way or another.  I tell her this.  She says, "Well, I'm looking online right now, and it says it's processing and I know that means it's going to be denied!  I need you to call them and tell them to pay this claim!".  I'm sorry, we need to wait until we receive something from your insurance company, and if it is a denial, then we'll work with them to try and get it paid.  Sending in another claim while the first one is still processing is a great way to get both claims denied.  The lady was very insistent that we needed to take care of this right away, and got really upset when I said we hadn't gotten anything from the insurance company yet.  Then came the impossible request - "You should be checking on every claim you bill every day until a decision is made!  Don't you know how important this is to people?"  We have three offices, and each one sees between 30-70 people per day.  There's no way we could check on every claim from every visit every day!  ::)