News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 21, 2017, 07:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1417688 times)

Coralreef

I was going to post about our latest impossible situation at work, but then realized it would take way too much time to explain.

So, instead, this is what the meeting was like:
http://www.collegehumor.com/embed/6961066/how-it-feels-to-be-an-engineer-in-the-corporate-world-sketch

Everyone I've shown this to has said:  I've been in that meeting!
Oh yeah... and I'm the technical nerd/geek in those meetings.  I dread the words "We have an idea."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

I was going to post about our latest impossible situation at work, but then realized it would take way too much time to explain.

http://www.collegehumor.com/embed/6961066/how-it-feels-to-be-an-engineer-in-the-corporate-world-sketch

Thanks for posting this link.  I laughed so hard that I cried.  This happens to me so many times...

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
That video brought back so much trauma I couldn't finish watching it.  :o
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

mw8242

Awesome video! I kept saying yes! yes! yes! with every idea.

Line as a kitten - sure of course.

rain

:'(

All I get is a fragment ... "our company has a ne..."
In search of a tag line

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
So what, exactly, is stopping us from doing this?
Geometry.
Just ignore it!

;D   ;D   ;D

gingerzing

My latest Impossible Request

One aspect of my job is that I input recipes into our database for two main websites.  The X style recipes tends to be fairly straight forward in nature.  The Z-style recipes are usually a fairly long and involved and have multiple facets.  Obviously the longer the recipe, the longer it takes to go into the system.    Normally batches are between 4-10 recipes.  Again, more recipes take a bit longer time.  Generally, I have a rule that if there is a batch of recipes that need to go into the system I need to have at least a week to put them in.  (In case of meetings or other parts of my job that need priority)

I am working on a few X recipes this afternoon because I was in a meeting all morning.  I get an email this afternoon at 1PM from a contact on the Z side. 
"Happy Friday. Hope your week went well.  We have a few Z-style recipes from Event and we would like to upload to database.  Is it possible to upload the below recipes by Tuesday, 5/13?" 
I look below and there is a link to a downloadable file.  Odd, since that is how she sends me images. She usually sends recipes in a word doc.   I open up the file and there are over 60 recipes.   :o

I sent her a note back* and told her that I hope she has a different list because NO, there is no way that I can get 60 recipes - many are long or in need of tweaking to fit into the database -  up by next week.  Nevermind within 2 days.

*I let my supervisor know what is happening.  We chatted that I had already given this the folks in Z-group my general time frame for getting recipes up.  And that I told them that it wasn't happening. 
I am also going to let my boss know so that the Z-style director doesn't try to get me into trouble. 

bloo

Oh yeah... and I'm the technical nerd/geek in those meetings.  I dread the words "We have an idea."

So it's true! When I read Dilbert comic strips I remembered the occasional joke of a giant hammer smashing down on the head of someone who said 'I have an idea'. Not working in a tech corporation, that humor flew over my head.  :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title

You don't even have to be a techie for that to happen!  I used to do customer service for a healthcare insurance company, and occasionally we'd have a meeting something like this where management wanted our input on their next great idea.  The best was when they wanted us to write authorizations for certain situations (not a job for someone who doesn't have a degree in that field!) and were very confused that we weren't willing to do that without someone more qualified looking it over.  I felt just like that engineer when I was trying to explain that my degree wasn't in any medical/behavioral health field, but instead was in history, and I wasn't qualified to give authorization to someone for medical procedures.  "But you're our best representative!".  Great, so I can answer the phone well...

darling

No we didn't print your expensive widget, even though you put the file on the generic dropbox on Monday. You see, you have to come in and fill out a form, letting us know the name of the file, and how big it is supposed to be. Then we do a quick process to make sure it is correct, and that the size is what you were expecting, and we tell you how much it will cost. Then you have to pay for it. So calling on Wednesday morning to ask if it was finished, leading us on a wild goose chase, while you get more upset, because the person who working Monday is not here today, and finding out that you never even came it, pretty much makes me annoyed, not apologetic.

By the time I finally got out of him that he never even came in to have us start the job and to pay for it, I was not feeling very charitable. I just told him that it very clearly stated on our website, where he got the info on how to transfer the file, that the next step was to come in, fill out the correct paperwork, and give us either the group or personal account numbers for billing. We don't just print everything that shows up in the dropbox (it's used for other things, and because this equipment is so expensive, I'm not sending anything without it being prepaid).

So, I guess we were supposed to magically know that he sent the file, know that it was correct, and print it, all without being told it existed, or it being paid for... Nope. Never going to happen...

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
We had a call yesterday from a student wanting to take classes at a campus where no classes have been offered for over a year due to us closing the site. All websites, print materials and computer systems have been updated to no longer show that campus as an option.

I looked all over the internet to find where it might be listed still and couldn't find it. I'm truly baffled.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Yarnspinner

Dear Patron:

You can be upset all you want about us not having books and magazine articles that prove your wiggy theories, but here's the thing:  you MADE UP this idea out of whole cloth.  I cannot get you information that proves something that doesn't exist exists. 

ti_ax

Dear Patron:

You can be upset all you want about us not having books and magazine articles that prove your wiggy theories, but here's the thing:  you MADE UP this idea out of whole cloth.  I cannot get you information that proves something that doesn't exist exists.
Tell him all the evidence that proves he's right was suppressed.  >:D

Yarnspinner

ti_ax, he's waaaaay ahead of you. 

I don't want to make this political and get the thread closed, but it's all so out there that I have to share.  I am keeping my opinions out of this.
S
pecifically, he believes the Depression never happened, that Hoovervilles never existed and that Herbert Hoover personally integrated the armed forces.  Since there are no books/magazine/newspaper articles to prove this, clearly, the supporters of FDR destroyed all proof and photos and we are all lemmings buying into it.  But even though he "knows" that all the evidence was suppressed, he still wants us to find the evidence.

His proof that everything was sunshine and lollipops?  Herbert Hoover's speeches.  We pointed out that EVERY president's state of the union speech is sunshine and lollipops and unicorns vomiting rainbows.  He still won't budge.

So...we are expected to find proof of his theories that, according to him, has been suppressed to hide the truth that the Depression never happened and that Hoovervilles were staged to make the other side look bad.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you sat and thought for two weeks.

Lorelei_Evil

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, that is rich, Yarnspinner.  Another FDR hater, but an amusing one.  Show him the GDP reports.   >:D