News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 23, 2017, 08:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silliest argument you've ever had?  (Read 1640 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Re: Silliest argument you've ever had?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
I once shut down a thread because people were squabbling about the polite response to a grizzly bear attack.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
I'd say that you have to be kidding...but while I don't remember that thread...it doesn't sound completely implausible.

I usually only worry about being rude to people - no grizzly bears in Houston, Texas, unless they're at the zoo.  I haven't been to the zoo in a few years.

And my darling VorGuy rather resembles a gold fish or a butterfly at times - his long term memory for *some things* has been an issue ever since college...possibly earlier.  I can't tell you how many times he has tried to tell me that we did something together when I remember *not* going there because he'd just seen that movie on a plane or he'd taken another family member to that event because I was out of town...or he was.

Last week, we walked into a tourist attraction and he asked me if I remembered our previous trip to it - I'd been to similar tourist attraction (but smaller) two years ago with him - one block down the street.  This tourist attraction?  This was my first time - he might have gone there with a group of his students during a field trip at some point - but I think that I would have remembered a 1920's style ice cream parlor...after thinking about it a minute, he agreed that I was probably correct - but since he'd taken about ten field trips to that area...he no longer remembered when *his* first time to go there was.  Or who he was with...  We ended up at both places last week and made purchases at both - hand made candies of various sorts (different selection at each location).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:19:56 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

AustenFan

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
I once shut down a thread because people were squabbling about the polite response to a grizzly bear attack.

Obviously you thank the bear first. A compliment on its coat or nails would likely not be unappreciated.

Off to search for that thread...

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »

Oh, you win. For sure. Egad!

FauxFoodist

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »

Obviously you thank the bear first. A compliment on its coat or nails would likely not be unappreciated.

Off to search for that thread...

Wasn't that in the thread about when does safety trump etiquette?  I remember the grizzly bear attack discussion was rather inane and couldn't believe people were actually arguing about it.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
Found it. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132269.msg3128610#msg3128610

The bears don't show up till page 20, FWIW.

pattycake

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
Found it. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132269.msg3128610#msg3128610

The bears don't show up till page 20, FWIW.

Well THAT was a surprise! The title of the thread had nothing remotely to do with grizzlies and only tangentially were they brought in (it goes from unwarranted loyalty to defending from bear attacks!) Worth a read if you've nothing better to do. Pity it got derailed, it was a good thread.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »

*calmly packs up thread and hands Wordgeek trophy* You win.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
Heh.  Thank you, all.  I do think that's some sort of forum record, although we don't actually keep score.

Someone reported my post to me, on the grounds that telling them to go outside and play was disrespectful or something.  Hence the Dame's response.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Heh.  Thank you, all.  I do think that's some sort of forum record, although we don't actually keep score.

Someone reported my post to me, on the grounds that telling them to go outside and play was disrespectful or something.  Hence the Dame's response.

*snicker* I was wondering why she'd added that in!
"Set aphasia to stun!"