News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 10:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things You Misread...  (Read 6495 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: Things You Misread...
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:25 AM »
Until I was 19 years old I thought there were two different words which meant the same thing and were spelled the same way:  phonetically MYzld and MissLEAD (both spelled "misled").  Sometimes I would read it one way and sometimes the other.  I just pray I never actually said the first version.  And I was an English major in undergrad and am an attorney.

Me too.

Miss Understood

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 02:01:50 AM »
Until I was 19 years old I thought there were two different words which meant the same thing and were spelled the same way:  phonetically MYzld and MissLEAD (both spelled "misled").  Sometimes I would read it one way and sometimes the other.  I just pray I never actually said the first version.  And I was an English major in undergrad and am an attorney.

Me too.

Thank you zyrs!  I am glad it wasn't just me. 

Mustard

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 06:36:29 AM »
I always see Esther_bunny's name as Easter bunny.  Always; not just at Easter!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »
I keep seeing "Fanfic thread" as "fabric thread."

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
I keep seeing "Fanfic thread" as "fabric thread."

...and now I'm doing it too... ;D
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

Gladly

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
When I was small there was a factory in our town owned by a Mr Stanley.  The sign outside the gates said "Stanley's Tool Works"  It wasn't until I was in my late teens, walking past with a friend who sniggered and said "That should please Mrs Stanley" that I realised it could have any meaning other than indicating that it was a factory making items that helped others carry out their work....

pattycake

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
When I was about 8 or so, we were in the car and my sister said "there's aitch and our block!"  I whipped my head around to look and couldn't see what she was talking about. For years I wondered where "our" block was... only to have it dawn on me one day after I had grown up that she had said "H&R Block". Whatever made her exclaim that in the first place?! LOL! I can only think maybe she had heard a commercial for them on the radio.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
Not misread, but misheard.

We picked Dragonson up from work and were chatting about his day.

"So during our after work cuddle..."

Say What?????

Turns out he was talking about the after work huddle... :)

But for a while there, I thought that working at Bed, Bath and Beyond might be way more fun than it seemed!!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

CrabbyAppleton

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Years ago one of our mini-marts had a special running called co-pilot cups (or maybe mugs).  They had a huge banner hanging outside.  I looked at it and said to my now ex-husband, "what the heck is a cop-a-lot cup/mug?".  He teased me about that for a long time and I still chuckle when I think about it.

bridalviolet

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »
There is a medical supply place I pass nearly every day that has CPAP machines (for those with sleep apnea) and frequently advertises "CPAP Cleaning Services." My brain always turns the P into an R. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »
There's a local TV for a a consortium of health services in Westchester county.  A slide shows the seven associated hospitals.  One of them is 'Bon Secours Hospital'.  I keep wanting to read that as 'Boy Scouts Hospital' although I know that makes no sense. 

deadbody

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
Once Mrs.Deadbody and I were driving somewhere and she asked what exactly an erotic pet was. 

Apparently on first glance she misread exotic.  I will stop teasing her about it one day. 

Gladly

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
Is that what they keep in petting farms...?   >:D

Maybe that comment should be Transatlantic Knowledge exchange, but hubby and I cracked up when we first saw a sign to a petting farm in the US. 

(In UK, petting is usually a precursor to scrabble games....)