News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 07:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Er, sorry?  (Read 3479 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Er, sorry?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
Both of us do the, 'I can't hear you without my glasses' routine.  It's nice to know it's so common.

When I was a child, a relative was notorious for saying things that were just a little off.  Her name was Loretta and the things she would say became known as 'Lorettaisms' in the family.

A few days before the Wedding of her son, Loretta complained that the whole household was, 'Running around like chickens with our hats off'.

When son and his bride were furnishing their new home, Loretta proudly announced that they'd bought a, 'Sexual sofa.  You know, the kind that comes is pieces you can arrange'.

After recovering from a cold, Loretta would complain about an annoying, 'Post-natal drip'.

She was also known to equate things as, 'half of one, six dozen of the other'.

Your relative sounds like my mother.  Mom had a way with words sometimes that kept the whole house in stitches.  Like the time she described someone as being "white as a sheep."  Or the time she and someone else was discussing a blind family friend, and Mom declared, "But he's blind and he can't see!"  My brother whispered, "Redundant."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
The "can't hear without my glasses" and lip reading don't really apply to a telephone call where you can't see the other party's lips move.

I think it was probably a senior moment or they were confused.  DH is blind in one eye & has adult ADD (AADD) and says nonsequiters like that frequently.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
Just to clarify, mom did not lip read nor did she actually "need" her glasses to "see" the other person talking.  It was just something she said (and not as a joke which is why I think it's funny).