Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 503643 times)

veraobsession

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
Do not try to stop quickly on your dad steps from his deck to the ground when they are covered in ice.

If I didn't think I might get kicked off here for showing a picture of my very bruised and broken behind, I would.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »
Is it sad that when I almost went head over heals on the ice the other day I thought about - that I was going to have to post to this thread.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »
Bump!  We need more stories!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2009, 04:58:57 PM »
When you're making sticky rice, and the ultimate goal is to fill something else with said rice, don't stick your hand into the bowl while the rice is still hot.  It, you know, sticks.

I did that when I was about 8, while helping my aunt make something.  She felt really horrible that she hadn't warned me, but I was the idiot who didn't connect "just finished cooking" with "hot" and "sticky."

Also, if you ever encounter one of those neat glass-topped electric ranges (that has a smooth top with circles to show you where the burners are), you should try your hardest to remember that they take just as long to cool as regular electric range burners.  So if you spill something on the range, and you need to wipe it up, use something more substantial than a Clorox wipe.

But on the other hand, frozen peas make an excellent ice pack if you've forgotten that electric burners stay hot for a long time, no matter how pretty they are.

And finally, if you're cooking at a friend's house, and you see a label on the burner dial that doesn't make sense to you, don't make assumptions.  It's perfectly understandable if you don't know how to work a gas range if you've never used one before (especially if your friend forgot about that and didn't tell you), but you shouldn't assume that "lite" just means really low heat.  If you do make assumptions about an unfamiliar stove, don't be surprised when your friend laughs her head off that you've been stirring broccoli for ten minutes without it cooking any, because you never actually turned the burner on.

(But it's a good thing I caught my friend relatively quickly - the burner was, of course, producing gas.)

Pinky830

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »

Also, if you ever encounter one of those neat glass-topped electric ranges (that has a smooth top with circles to show you where the burners are), you should try your hardest to remember that they take just as long to cool as regular electric range burners.  So if you spill something on the range, and you need to wipe it up, use something more substantial than a Clorox wipe.

*sighs deeply*

I have one of those. I love it. I know, everyone says gas is so much better, but I've never had a gas stove and I don't like the idea of dealing with open flames. Anyway, back to point...

Don't slam a cast-iron skillet onto said stove, even without *that* much force, when your kids have pushed your buttons for the last time. The glass is fragile, who knew? And the replacement top costs $280. And the CSR at Jenn-Air is a snarky jerk. And they're on backorder.

*sighs again*

Pinky830

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
And speaking of gas, DH and I were enjoying a romantic cuddle the other night. He started a fire in the gas logs and we sat on the hearth sipping our house rum specialty. After several minutes he got up to get something, made a startled motion, turned around to me and said deadpan, "What do you think? Should I open the flue?"

The whole upper part of the room reeked of gas fumes, and we hadn't smelled it yet because we were sitting so low...sheesh...

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »
The gas stove one reminded me of something:

If you have a crotchety old gas stove that you need to light with a match because the pilot light no longer works, make sure you long, golden locks aren't dangling over the burner when you lean over to ignite the burner.  The bonus is that you long, golden locks make a really neat whumpffffisssss noise as they go up in flames.  In middle school I had a really short piece of hair hanging around my face for a while.  As if I weren't already a big enough dork.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »

*sighs deeply*

I have one of those. I love it. I know, everyone says gas is so much better, but I've never had a gas stove and I don't like the idea of dealing with open flames. Anyway, back to point...

I will happily deal with the open flames of a gas stove if it means that I don't keep burning myself on heating elements.  At least fire registers in my head as "hot! don't touch!"  Many other things that are equally hot simply don't.

At least my electric stove has those plug in heating elements that look like they're probably hot.  But I would be so very happy if I could have a gas range again.  They're not as scary when you grow up with them...especially if you never lit your hair on fire like MrsJWine. ;)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
You don't need a stove for that. I've done it with a candle.

(My hair is dark, and it was layered and frizzy at the time. You couldn't tell a piece was burnt. It ALL looked burnt.)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kitkatswing

« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »
If you have been riding motorbikes for a really long time, its still NOT a good idea if you are a pillion to get off on the right hand side...

Short pants + VERY hot pipe = sever burn on leg, still bearing that scar......

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »
It is not a good idea to navigate a staircase in the dark. I did it once, thought I was on the last step, turned out I wasn't.....ended up spraining my ankle. To add insult to injury it happened before my mother, grandmother and I left for the first day of the Vera Bradley outlet sale....but what the hey, at least I got me a cool mini backpack (it came in real handy as I wound up being on crutches for about a week.....)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:08:10 PM by loves2read »

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
Don't try to go through the large turnstile type gates while holding your purse behind you.  Your purse with the big handles.  The handles that get stuck on things, like the metal parts of the turnstile. 

Especially don't do this while you are trying to rush your way through the turnstile because it's cold and raining and you want to get inside.

Picking up your belongings from the dark parking lot in the rain and no lights is not fun.  Oh yea, I have a flashlight in my purse... um but it spilled out when the turnstile snapped back and yanked my purse out of my hands and flung it backwards, so I had to go back OUT and pick up stuff.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:42 AM »
If you have been riding motorbikes for a really long time, its still NOT a good idea if you are a pillion to get off on the right hand side...

Short pants + VERY hot pipe = sever burn on leg, still bearing that scar......

Hey, I have that scar too!  Two, actually, on my right calf, from the parallel exhaust pipes.  It's been almost five years now though and they've faded quite a bit.
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

zoidberg

« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »
If your toaster is directly behind your electric kettle, don't reach over it to get your toast at the precise moment your water is boiling. Yes, steam *is* that hot.

The skin on my arm turned red, then black and then fell off.  :o

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »
If your toaster is directly behind your electric kettle, don't reach over it to get your toast at the precise moment your water is boiling. Yes, steam *is* that hot.

The skin on my arm turned red, then black and then fell off.  :o

But did you burn the toast?  ;)
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.