Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 505961 times)

kisu

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:58 AM »
If you have long, fine hair, don't borrow the velcro curlers your friend uses for her short, coarse hair. It takes about 60 minutes to get three curlers out, and your hair will look like a bird's nest for a week after. Don't ask me how I know.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2009, 08:46:44 AM »
If you have long, fine hair, don't borrow the velcro curlers your friend uses for her short, coarse hair. It takes about 60 minutes to get three curlers out, and your hair will look like a bird's nest for a week after. Don't ask me how I know.

Oh that. Don't ask me how I know about that either. The memory is too painful.
NE England

zoidberg

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
If your toaster is directly behind your electric kettle, don't reach over it to get your toast at the precise moment your water is boiling. Yes, steam *is* that hot.

The skin on my arm turned red, then black and then fell off.  :o

But did you burn the toast?  ;)

;D Nah, it came out perfect, but I immediately dropped it on my nasty kitchen floor when I registered that steam = hot, hot, burning, ouch.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
When you're making sticky rice, and the ultimate goal is to fill something else with said rice, don't stick your hand into the bowl while the rice is still hot.  It, you know, sticks.

Oh yeah, don't do that.

Also, when you're just about to eat some soup that's all lovely and steaming having just.that.second come out of the microwave, and you rest the spoon in the bowl to carry it into the living room, and the spoon slips all the way into the soup, don't dip your fingers in to dig it out.

Furthermore, ten seconds later, when you do it again with your new spoon, the soup will still be just as hot as it was when you dug out the previous one.

*headdesk*

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
Don't "experiment" with static electricity by rubbing your hair against a fuzzy pillow for... don't know how long... it was a while anyway.  All I know is that it took even longer for Mom to get my hair to lie flat again (part static, part matting).

On further reflection, perhaps this is why I never had a chemistry set as a child...

a clever screenname

« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Should you run out of dishpowder/detergent for your automatic dishwasher, do not substitute with the liquid dish soap you use for handwashing. My cats were fascinated by the foam that was creeping across my kitchen floor that day.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
At 6:30 in the morning, after you've gotten your cereal ready, don't put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge.  Especially if you're going to be gone all day and not discover your error until it's waaaay too late to save that jug of milk.

I can't even tell you how many times I've done this.  Especially during finals week.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
If you have been riding motorbikes for a really long time, its still NOT a good idea if you are a pillion to get off on the right hand side...

Short pants + VERY hot pipe = sever burn on leg, still bearing that scar......

Hey, I have that scar too!  Two, actually, on my right calf, from the parallel exhaust pipes.  It's been almost five years now though and they've faded quite a bit.

Ha ha! I have that scar, too, on my right calf. I ought to have known better than to have been on a bike in shorts. I chalk it up to a souvenir of being young & stupid.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

RedRuby

« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »
At 6:30 in the morning, after you've gotten your cereal ready, don't put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge.  Especially if you're going to be gone all day and not discover your error until it's waaaay too late to save that jug of milk.

I can't even tell you how many times I've done this.  Especially during finals week.

Good advice! When my sister's daughter was only a few weeks old, my sister (in her sleep-deprivation fog) absentmindedly poured scalding hot coffee fresh from the pot on to her cereal then proceeded to put a bit spoonful of cereal in to her mouth. She repeated that with orange juice a few days later.

dawbs

« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »

Good advice! When my sister's daughter was only a few weeks old, my sister (in her sleep-deprivation fog) absentmindedly poured scalding hot coffee fresh from the pot on to her cereal then proceeded to put a bit spoonful of cereal in to her mouth. She repeated that with orange juice a few days later.

I suppose this sorta explains why I found my yogurt next to the fax machine and my pen in the fridge this morning at work?
 :-[
I think I need a day off.  or 10.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »

I make DH's lunch for him sometimes-- one morning, he was lucky to leave for work with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, rather than peanut butter and ketchup, which was the first thing I pulled out of the fridge.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
I can't remember if I've said this before, but take out your contacts before you floss....mint in the eye hurts.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Trillias

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
My former roommate is eternally grateful to me that I didn't tell this story in my toast at her wedding...

She wanted to make fresh salsa, and we didn't have a food processor to chop the cilantro. So she used the blender. And was using the pulse button and pushing the chopped herbs back down into the blades as they stopped each pulse. With her fingers. I walked in and saw this, opened my mouth to suggest that she use a wooden spoon for that when the inevitable occurred.
 :o
To her credit she grabbed a towel, wrapped it around her fingers, sat on the floor with her hands over her head, and screamed "911 911 911" over and over until I had the phone in my hand and was speaking to the dispatcher while putting pressure on her fingers myself. Then I got to unplug the blender and look for fingertip pieces...fortunately she hadn't lost any, just a very very deep slice.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
My former roommate is eternally grateful to me that I didn't tell this story in my toast at her wedding...

She wanted to make fresh salsa, and we didn't have a food processor to chop the cilantro. So she used the blender. And was using the pulse button and pushing the chopped herbs back down into the blades as they stopped each pulse. With her fingers. I walked in and saw this, opened my mouth to suggest that she use a wooden spoon for that when the inevitable occurred.
 :o
To her credit she grabbed a towel, wrapped it around her fingers, sat on the floor with her hands over her head, and screamed "911 911 911" over and over until I had the phone in my hand and was speaking to the dispatcher while putting pressure on her fingers myself. Then I got to unplug the blender and look for fingertip pieces...fortunately she hadn't lost any, just a very very deep slice.

Wow was she lucky!!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
I can't remember if I've said this before, but take out your contacts before you floss....mint in the eye hurts.

I suspect the larger issue here is that your education has been neglected. Someone should have taught you that one does not floss one's eyeballs.  >:D

Oh, wait, you mean the mint gets on your fingers ... never mind. /rosanna rosanna-danna
Words mean things.