Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 422283 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
When you're pregnant and experiencing food aversions, and the only two things you can stomach that day are pickles (with the juice) and milk, don't for the love of all this is holy and good eat them in succession.

The same goes for chocolate milk and orange juice.  ughh.

Or pickles and orange juice for breakfast, because at the time "it's what I want!"
It was the first of only two times I threw up while pregnant with DD. :P
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Reika

« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Unfortunately the thread has since been removed, but a friend of mine belonged to a message board for trucks and SUVs. One of the men on the board posted about how he was putting down a new lining in his truck bed. Feeling the need to pee, he didn't think about the stuff that was still on his hands, stuff that wasn't fully try yet.

He ended up going to the hospital to get the stuff removed, he was firmly convinced he um, inadverntantly castrating himself. Fortunately the doctors were able to get the stuff off, but he was in pain for quite some time.

SiderisAnon

• Fuzzy Blue Cynic.
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
Speaking of various forms of peppers and such spicy food:  Never, ever, ever decide to create your own dish that involves boiling a substance that includes tons of hot sauce.  Also never walk away from same.

I had a roommate do this.  Great guy, very dangerous in the kitchen.  He basically created mace and gassed the whole apartment.  My gf at the time got a nose bleed.  We had to open everything up and get fans running to even breathe in the apartment.

It honestly never occurred to him that it wasn't a good idea.   :o

I can think of several "don't do that" things from my past, but I'm afraid most of them sound too cynical, so I'll just leave it at the mace cooking. :)
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art and science.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, his eyes are closed."  Einstein, 1930

Gyburc

« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »
If you are holding a drinks party - let's say, for the church choir and their families - and have put out lots of little bowls full of peanuts, crisps and other nibbles...

... it's probably best to remove the small bowl of pot-pourri from among them before someone samples it...

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Pinky830

« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »
when making coffee, it really does work better if the pot is in the coffeemaker and not still in the dishwasher.

yeah, it's been that kind of morning around here...

SiderisAnon

• Fuzzy Blue Cynic.
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »
when making coffee, it really does work better if the pot is in the coffeemaker and not still in the dishwasher.

This reminds me of a work version of bad coffeemaker idea:  Don't tell the one guy in the office who doesn't drink coffee to make coffee for the client.  Especially when he tells you flat out that he doesn't drink coffee, hasn't made coffee since childhood, and has no idea how to work the coffee machine.  I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was apparently the worst coffee ever. 

Yes, I can build a computer from component parts, but that doesn't mean I know how to work the coffeemaker.  Sorry.   ???
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art and science.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, his eyes are closed."  Einstein, 1930

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »

This reminds me of a work version of bad coffeemaker idea:  Don't tell the one guy in the office who doesn't drink coffee to make coffee for the client.  Especially when he tells you flat out that he doesn't drink coffee, hasn't made coffee since childhood, and has no idea how to work the coffee machine.  I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was apparently the worst coffee ever. 

Yes, I can build a computer from component parts, but that doesn't mean I know how to work the coffeemaker.  Sorry.   ???

I had that happen in my first Air Force assignment - after the first sip, the commander ordered me to stay away from the coffee maker and put his EXPERIENCED secretary back in charge of the equipment.

>:D

I had been a waitress and MADE coffee at a couple of places........but that day with that machine - I didn't figure it out.   Thirty (well, it will be in November) years later, I don't drink coffee but I make it for the DH five mornings a week............and he likes how it turns out!

I drank hot tea then and I drink hot tea now.  Need someone to work as a liaison to a company in the UK? 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
Unfortunately the thread has since been removed, but a friend of mine belonged to a message board for trucks and SUVs. One of the men on the board posted about how he was putting down a new lining in his truck bed. Feeling the need to pee, he didn't think about the stuff that was still on his hands, stuff that wasn't fully try yet.

He ended up going to the hospital to get the stuff removed, he was firmly convinced he um, inadverntantly castrating himself. Fortunately the doctors were able to get the stuff off, but he was in pain for quite some time.

Geez Louise, this made me wince and I don't even have the necessary parts!

Bluenomi

« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I'm only up to page 3 of this thread and I can tell you something I have learnt not to do: read this thread at work.

Oh dear, people are wondering why I'm sitting at my desk shaking with tears running down my face. I'm laughing so hard no sound is coming out!

One of my own: Don't add bubble bath to a spa bath. Turns out the water moving makes it really bubbly!

Must wait until I get home to read the rest of this....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:57:46 AM by Bluenomi »

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
This is handy! I'm dyeing my hair red today.

Oh, and another thing. Don't check the time on your watch while holding a beverage in that hand. Don't know how many times I've done/almost done that.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

zoidberg

« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »
This is handy! I'm dyeing my hair red today.

Oh, and another thing. Don't check the time on your watch while holding a beverage in that hand. Don't know how many times I've done/almost done that.

Also, don't try to take something out of your handbag while you're hilding a beverage in your hand. I poured a whole glass of white wine into my bag while amusing several witnesses who haven't let me live that one down. Luckily, this was before mobile phones, so the only thing I ruined were my cigarettes.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »

On that note:

It also works better if you put the water in the reservoir and the grounds in the basket, not the other way around.

Yeah, I've done that at least three times.  Do you know how hard it is to completely clean out the innards of a coffee maker?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
When you're making chili, and the recipe calls for a certain amount of chili powder and a certain, much smaller amount of ground red pepper, make sure that you grab the right red bottle of spices.  1/3 cup of red pepper is a *bit* much for one pound of ground turkey and the accompanying chili ingredients when the recipe calls for 1/3 teaspoon. 

Also, if you *are* going to substitute dishwashing liquid for dishwasher liquid, at least make sure you have a mop to take care of the mess.  Or more than four towels.  Four towels will not be enough to clean up the mess.  Trust me.

sooverit

• :(
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
Just thought of some more:

(from my mom) When making apple pie- don't mix up the cinnamon and the chili powder...  (this was back when spices were in an aluminum can without much markings) You will literally get a 'hot' apple pie!

(from me) if you accidentally spill an entire gallon of iced tea- don't panic and throw a single paper towel over the giant puddle!!!  It will not help much at all...

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
This occurred to me rather suddenly yesterday.  And by "suddenly" I mean "painfully".

When using a mandolin to slice onions, don't forgo the food holder just because it's easier to slice without it.  Your thumb won't be very forgiving.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah