Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 523052 times)

greencat

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2415 on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
I'm so stealing that line about the only donkey getting in my pants being my own!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2416 on: August 26, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
I realize that Gibbs, Abby, et al are fictitious, but I can't help wondering what Gibbs would make of pink handcuffs.

Do they have Hello Kitty or My Little Pony stickers on them?  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #2417 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
I realize that Gibbs, Abby, et al are fictitious, but I can't help wondering what Gibbs would make of pink handcuffs.

No, but they do come in other colors: shiny chrome, tactical (dulled) chrome, shiny black, tactical black, red, orange, blue, green, and purple.

I know a sheriff's deputy who, when on jail duty, Bedazzled some of her handcuffs with some "jewels" and a hot glue gun ...

I am sorely tempted to put glitter on a pair, after learning that glitter is almost impossible to remove completely from fabric. A fellow agent with young daughters tells me glitter is the, er, herpes simplex of crafting.

Gibbs, I think, would give you that one-eyebrow-lifted look (that I can't duplicate no matter how hard I try). I picture Abby's as being shiny black with red flowers and bright chrome spikes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:44:52 PM by vorbau »
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2418 on: August 26, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »

No, but they do come in other colors: shiny chrome, tactical (dulled) chrome, shiny black, tactical black, red, orange, blue, green, and purple.

I know a sheriff's deputy who, when on jail duty, Bedazzled some of her handcuffs with some "jewels" and a hot glue gun ...

I am sorely tempted to put glitter on a pair, after learning that glitter is almost impossible to remove completely from fabric. A fellow agent with young daughters tells me glitter is the, er, herpes simplex of crafting.

Gibbs, I think, would give you that one-eyebrow-lifted look (that I can't duplicate no matter how hard I try). I picture Abby's as being shiny black with red flowers and bright chrome spikes.

Ooooh purple! I am just going to go away now... and wait... you're allowed to bedazzle handcuffs?!

vorbau

« Reply #2419 on: August 26, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
You can do things with your handcuffs that will get you arrested  ;D

There are regulations in every department about what you can/cannot do with law enforcement equipment, especially that which is officially issued to you. Most officers have additional gear they've purchased themselves - for example, I have an issue pair of cuffs, but, since I prefer always to carry 2 sets, I had to purchase a second set myself. Some departments prohibit the use of certain types of equipment - some kinds of cuffs are easier to pick, some holsters are considered safer than others, and so on. A lot of us dislike the issue body armor and fork out for our own - an absolute necessity in my case, given my particular figure; I also had a heckuva time finding tactical boots until just recently, when it finally dawned on suppliers that there are a lot of women in law enforcement now and we don't all wear Bozo the Clown size shoes. Issue equipment is also "accountable" which means you have to keep track of it and make certain you turn in the exact item you were issued, or pay for replacements at government prices.

Within reasonable limits, at my agency we are permitted a fair amount of discretion with personally acquired equipment. Colored cuffs are a recent development and I understand are very popular with agencies who do a fair amount of arresting and prisoner transport, as it makes it much easier to ensure you get your own cuffs back (when they all look alike, it's not unusual to get a crummy pair of lowest-bidder cuffs returned to you rather than your own expensive set). Most of us have a certain type of cuff key we prefer as well (i.e., on a keychain, pocket clip, etc).

I think TPTB also consider it a fairly harmless way to let the "kids" goof around and blow off steam. At the medical examiner's office I most often work with, the mid shift likes to decorate the eye protection with stickers, which means you have to be pretty quick if you've got a pair with unicorns on them and the recording camera pans over to you.

greencat

« Reply #2420 on: August 26, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »
I'd fight people for those unicorn-sticker glasses, because I am a child of the Lisa Frank era.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2421 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:51 AM »
I wish you very good luck in your future career. I am fairly certain that if it involves uniforms, it will also involve saying "Do you want to supersize that?"
My favorite line.  >:D

Ya know, this one might have qualified for the Professional Darwinism thread, too.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2422 on: August 27, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
It took us 25 years to prove him for the cheap rug liar he is. The wife was a tiny little thing with very little upper body strength, right-hand dominant. The weapon was an enormous .45 Dirty Harry type thing, with an extremely heavy double-action trigger (I couldn't fire the thing using both hands, and I am considered an extremely strong shooter for my size and gender). The fatal wound was in her left upper chest (if you picture her left breast as a clock, with you looking straight at it, the wound was about at 3 o'clock). The weapon was lying on the floor next to the right side of the bed, and her right arm was trailing over the edge of the bed, so that it was supposed to look like she'd fired and then her hand and arm were pulled down by gravity.

When we re-opened the case, we noted: there were NO prints on the gun. There was no GSR on her hands. The bullet had been fired at least 12" away from her chest. Perform the above exercise again: Make your right hand into a gun. Point it straight at the 3 o'clock point on your left breast, not deviating up, down, left or right - it was a straight through-and-through. Now move your hand back so that the muzzle is at least 12" away from that point. Don't dislocate your elbow in the process.

Please miss I have a question about the position of the wound.  I might be picturing it wrong, was the wound in the middle of the chest or near her left hand side?

Sorry for the late reply on this one - I had to go back and check the photos! Which is a good thing, because I apparently can't tell time when it's a human body clock...

If you are looking straight at a woman and you picture her breasts as clock faces, the wound was where the "9" (not 3, my bad) would be on the left br...uh, clock face.

It is definitely possible to shoot yourself in that location with a weapon in your right hand. What made it impossible in this case, however, were the following facts:

1. It was not a contact wound (the muzzle of the gun was not in contact with her skin when the gun was fired) and the stippling (pattern of deposit of gunpowder, soot and other schmutz secondary to firing) made it clear that the weapon had been no closer to her skin than 10" when fired and more probably was at least 12" away. Pretend your right hand is a gun, with your index finger forming the barrel. Place the tip of your index finger at that "9" position on your left breast. Now move your arm and hand away from your body so that the tip of your finger is at least 10" away from that spot on your chest. Write me if you manage to do so without dislocating your elbow.

I may be holding my 'gun' wrong (I don't have experience with guns) but it seems like I could do it without dislocating anything. Of course, being slightly double-jointed might help. :P

However it strikes me as a very unlikely thing to do. If you were going to shoot yourself, wouldn't you hold the gun in a comfortable position (like right against your chest) instead of trying to twist your arm off?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

greencat

« Reply #2423 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
I'm pretty flexible, but to fire a gun at that angle, even one with a fairly short 6" between the trigger and the tip, I think I'd have to stand with my arm curved over my head like a ballerina.  Even then, I'm not entirely sure I could hold it in a way that would angle it the correct direction.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2424 on: August 27, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
I'm pretty flexible, but to fire a gun at that angle, even one with a fairly short 6" between the trigger and the tip, I think I'd have to stand with my arm curved over my head like a ballerina.  Even then, I'm not entirely sure I could hold it in a way that would angle it the correct direction.

Wouldn't you have to hold your arm in a circle in front of you, not above, for the bullet to go straight in? Or am I reading the description wrong? :-\

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2425 on: August 27, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »

Wouldn't you have to hold your arm in a circle in front of you, not above, for the bullet to go straight in? Or am I reading the description wrong? :-\

The woman was lying down on the bed when she was found.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2426 on: August 27, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

Ok, but she would still have to have her arm circled over her chest, not over her head, wouldn't she?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2427 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »

Ok, but she would still have to have her arm circled over her chest, not over her head, wouldn't she?

Yes...and as Dark Boyfriend pointed out to me, it is very possible if you pull the trigger with your thumb.  However, as vorbau pointed out, there was testimony that she could even pull the trigger with both hands...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Snooks

« Reply #2428 on: August 28, 2012, 07:09:23 AM »

Yes...and as Dark Boyfriend pointed out to me, it is very possible if you pull the trigger with your thumb.  However, as vorbau pointed out, there was testimony that she could even pull the trigger with both hands...

DH said he'd pull it with his thumb too.  Both of us circled in front of our chests and could easily make it 10 inches from our chest with our finger guns.

vorbau

« Reply #2429 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
I forgot to mention the bullet track didn't match the staged scenario - it was angled from left to right and slightly downward, and simply could not be lined up to any possible contortion the victim could have made.

It is entirely possible to shoot yourself like this by pulling the trigger with your thumb, or by using a short-barreled weapon. Just not in this case. This is why we treat every death with a high index of suspicion - first we rule out homicide, then accident, then suicide - and if it's not any of those three, it's usually signed out as natural causes, though many MEs are uncomfortable with that if they can't demonstrate it and will sign it as undetermined.