Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 421512 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2715 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
Absolutely no apology for bathroom noises IN the bathroom.  Although most of us are ingrained to say 'Excuse me' when we have an uncontrollable bodily function happen, like a toot or a sneeze, etiquette says that you are supposed to politely ignore it, both as the one doing it and as the one hearing/smelling it.

Of course, in my family, any toot is commented upon with great vigour.  I think we all have the mental equivenlent of a 12 year old boy.  I could forgive my nephews when they were 12...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #2716 on: June 17, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
I've never felt the need to apologize for bathroom noises in the bathroom, even in a public restroom. Unless you're still in line, then a polite "Excuse me" works wonders.

Now if you're in the bathroom and someone can hear it from across the house/apartment, that might be a bit of a different story, but if it's the normal course of inner workings, then it's customary to politely ignore it.

Though my family is more like Outdoor Girl's too. My family nearly gave me an award when I nearly gassed all of us out of a cabin in Alaska one night. I will never be on a diet with salmon as the only protien again in my life. Ever. It's not very fun for anyone.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2717 on: June 17, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
I can do one better.  I tend to automatically apologize if I pass gas, if I'm the only one home.

I suppose the cats think it's polite.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2718 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
Grilling when it's raining is not - by itself - a concern.

Positioning the grill so as to safely have some shelter from the rain is a good thing.

Forgetting that while one's head is dry (ish), forgetting that one's feet as standing on a wet deck is...not wise.
Nor is forgetting that the floor is tile.

Wet shoes on tile resulted in a rather spectacular wipeout, complete with broken crockery.  ::)

Walk.Carefully.On.Slippery.Floors!  :o

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2719 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
That is why I will never have a tiled kitchen floor!  My first apartment had a tile floor in the bathroom.  I don't know how many times I slipped in there.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2720 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
That is why I will never have a tiled kitchen floor!  My first apartment had a tile floor in the bathroom.  I don't know how many times I slipped in there.

A well-laid wood floor is not much better.  The dogs get the floor wet drinking from their water bowl.  I have fallen a few times stepping in it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2721 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
Watch out for the overspray on the laminate flooring when using spray furniture polish.  ♪♫♪ Slip sliding away ...♪♫♪
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2722 on: June 17, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
I don't use furniture polish so that won't be a problem.  I only clean with cold water and a specialized fibre that traps bacteria.

I'm thinking about going with bamboo when I redo my kitchen.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2723 on: June 17, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Watch out for the overspray on the laminate flooring when using spray furniture polish.  ♪♫♪ Slip sliding away ...♪♫♪

When I got my first (shared) apartment in college, we used to polish the wood floors with furniture spray. We had to stop because of too many falls.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

cwm

« Reply #2724 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
I'm the one who will slip and fall on anything. Concrete, stairs (usually going up), carpet (long or short), tile, laminate, wood, no matter how polished it is.

Heck, I've even been known to slip and fall on grass or dirt. I'm just that clumsy.

As far as grilling goes, make sure you actually turn off all the burners! Mom just got a new gas grill recently and didn't turn one of the burners off after cooking dinner for herself. Luckily nothing terrible happened. Just the next weekend when I had my birthday cookout we had to finish cooking the last of the hot dogs inside in the oven because we ran out of gas. And she's learned now to always make sure everything's turned off thoroughly.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2725 on: June 18, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
I don't use furniture polish so that won't be a problem.  I only clean with cold water and a specialized fibre that traps bacteria.

I'm thinking about going with bamboo when I redo my kitchen.

Just check to make sure a cut won't make the bamboo fray. I have seen that happen many times. Bamboo is usually better for a dining room than a kitchen.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2726 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Good to know.  I will look into that.  Thanks!
Ontario

Dawse

« Reply #2727 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:21 AM »

I used to work in a restaurant that had a tiled kitchen floor. It was lethal - any tiny bit of water or grease or anything even remotely slippery on a normal floor became a deadly trap for the unsuspecting. Someone fell over in there at least once a week. When it was still wet from being mopped down at the end of the night, we used to stand on a tea towel and do a penguin shuffle across the floor - it was the only way to not guarantee a quick trip to introduce your rear end to the tiles, and even that wasn't definite.

Which moron decided tiles was a sensible flooring for a commercial kitchen, anyway?
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2728 on: June 21, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »
One of my coworkers is a university student who gets job experience working for us over the summers.
He and his fiancée are expecting their first child in the fall.

The pregnancy has not gone well for them. She is extremely high risk and has spent much of the time on bed rest.
She has problems with her cervix and could go into labour at any time, without warning.
There are two doctor's visits a week and every week is a huge milestone.
The young dad-to-be is, naturally, very concerned and the pregnancy is a huge part of his attention right now.

However....

....when your fiancée gets permission from the doctor to attend the company barbeque, by all means, introduce her to your coworkers.
When they say they are happy for her that she is well enough to attend, you could say something like:

"Thanks, we're happy things are going better and her doctor is pleased with her progress."

What you should not say is:

"Yeah, her doctor says her cervix is great and I'm all on top of that puppy!"  :o :o

Surprisingly, she didn't scream at him. ::) ::)

greencat

« Reply #2729 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Err, uh, don't start the blender on one of the super-high-power settings right off the bat.  Pulse it a little or at least start on the lower settings.  If you don't, and you happen to be blending up spaghetti sauce, your kitchen will suddenly look like the set of a crime show.