Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 520739 times)

greencat

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2955 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »
My weekend of walking in sneakers reminded me of my own major "don't do that."

Don't walk around New York City in 4" heeled boots for four days just because they're the only pair of closed shoes you brought with you and the weather turned unseasonably cold.  Buy a new pair of shoes instead.  You would have been much better off with the resulting blisters than with the tendonitis that the boots caused.  Ten years later you will still curse those boots.

Today, I had to climb my stairs sideways because I couldn't flex my ankles without falling over in pain.  Chronic tendonitis takes a lot of ibuprofen to relieve...

Vall

« Reply #2956 on: January 20, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
This happened about 20 years ago.  I was deep cleaning my apartment to prepare for a week long visit from my dad.  I washed all of the dishes in the house.  As always, I used hot water and a splash of bleach.  But this time I figured I'd use hotter water and a lot more bleach.

The hot water hurt my hands but I worked on.  It was painful.  After a while I realized that it wasn't the hot water but I had chemical burns from the bleach!  Ouch, ouch, ouch!  My hands swelled up and were bright red.  It took weeks before I could do dishes without gloves and about a decade for the scars to fade.  One finger is still a little scarred.  I'm still leery of using bleach in water.

Sigh.  Ya really shouldn't do that.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2957 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Do not for any reason leave Mr. Crochet Addict alone with anything major that is suspected of being broken. He will try to fix it, in interesting ways, that are at least funny after the fact. Two incidents come to mind- the Toilet Disaster, and the Furnace Incident.

The Toilet Disaster- The flapper on the toilet needed replaced. We bought a replacement kit, and my dad explained over the phone what to do. Sounded easy, so I told Mr. CA that we would work on that after I got off work. Upon returning from work, I was greeted by 2 very frightened and confused cats, and a flurry of profanity coming from the bathroom. As I approached the bathroom, on the hallway floor, I encountered the lid of the toilet tank, followed by a trail of all of the innards of the toilet tank, and finally, and most alarmingly, the actual toilet tank itself. Yes, Mr. CA had managed to take the toilet, down to the bowl, apart. The profanity was caused by him not being able to put it back together. Panicking, I decided to ask the neighbors for a reference for a good plumber. Fortunately, the same neighbor used to be a plumber, so he came over, and after he finished laughing, was able to put things to rights again.

The Furnace Incident- Our house was built in the 1920s, and the furnace was originally a woodburner, converted into natural gas some time later. One day, it stopped working. Mr. CA was off that day, I worked, and I asked him to call a repairman to look things over. I called home on my lunch break and Mr. CA assured me that he had corrected the matter. The Toilet Disaster came to mind, and I felt rather uneasy. However, the furnace had instructions for ignition on it, so I hoped that Mr. CA used those. Upon returning home, I noticed the house was rather chilly. Mr. CA offered to show me how he was fixing the furnace. So, he grabbed some newspaper, wadded it up, picked up a lighter, and headed toward the basement. Sweet monkey fritters, I thought. He's been hurling flaming objects into the natural gas furnace all day. I tried to explain why this was a Bad Idea, but Mr. CA felt that since it worked fine all day, to continue with his current method. So, I grabbed the cats, who for some reason had followed us into the basement, and ran upstairs. Suddenly, what sounded like a sonic boom issued from the basement. Mr. CA teleported into the living room instantly afterward, and concernedly asked if his facial hair was still attached. Seems when he had thrown the flaming newspaper into the furnace, as I predicted, he was greeted with a rather impressive, but short-lived, fireball. At this point, I figured it would be a good idea for me to look things over. A quick inspection of the control panel showed that the furnace had somehow been turned off. Mr. CA said that he'd swept it with a broom earlier the previous day. He must have bumped the switch. I followed the ignition instructions and we had lovely, non-explody heat.
I dearly love Mr. CA, and for his safety, he is no longer permitted to attempt to fix things without supervision.

I have replaced flappers on our toilets for over twenty-five years - but I CHEATED - I was a stay at home mom & we were renting.  The real estate agent sent over a plumber to do some repairs. 

I watched him...and when the flapper in the other bathroom needed replacing, I did it myself.  And have kept doing it, as needed, for the next few houses (I was a military spouse - we've moved six times since that house....including one apartment).   I'd say a dozen or more flappers and at least eight "towers" (he replaced the whole thing - as it was leaking under the flapper) so that "tuition" saved the landlords of that house and the next couple of houses some money - and us even more after we started buying a house.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2958 on: January 20, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
When you are cleaning a newly plastered swimming pool...Do not scoot along the stairs.  You will sandpaper your "donkey".  Putting on my jeans afterwards was sooooooo not fun.

I had to laugh...this applies to painting as well.  Be careful on how you scoot along the floor to trim the baseboards because you can and will run burn your bacon-fed knave.

We moved into a rental house from the 1970s - paneling & brick "accent wall" with the fireplace in it.  Lot of paneling...

I ended up mopping the danged walls with Murphy's Oil Soap and then using a skateboard to roll along the baseboards to clean them with a damp cloth & more solution.

The smell of old coffee & stale beer went away...I had wondered WHY it smelled like that until one of my brothers recognized it as a house where some of his friends had lived while going to college...with a beer keg in the dining room.  I was so glad that I'd mopped the paneling (and the vinyl backed metallic wallpaper, too)!  The floor had been mopped repeatedly - but the odor was still present....

I wonder if the owners have ever remodeled the house?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:27:10 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2959 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
Oh, I've got one.  Don't EVER, while roasting the Thanksgiving turkey, pick up a sterling silver spoon to baste the bird while it's in the oven.  Bonus points: don't do this while wearing a sterling silver pendant, bending down to the oven.  Silver is a TREMENDOUS heat conductor.  First, you drop the spoon, splashing a hot, sage-scented wave all over the place. Then, you automatically straighten up suddenly, branding the shape of said pendant into your chest.  Yes, this was my first T'giving as a young bride, yes, I was pulling out all the fancy stops for the first time, and yes, I learned my lesson.  But, the turkey turned out well, I changed clothes to a turtleneck, and my dear husband swore secrecy.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2960 on: January 20, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »
YIKES!! Just googled "Huntsman spider".....I wasn't arachniphobic before this, but now....I live in North America where the biggest spider I ever saw was in my garden, and she was only about three inches legs and all (actually, my tomatoes were nice and bug-free that year, and she was so big I could spot her before I went in picking, and just avoided her - good for us both!)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2961 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
YIKES!! Just googled "Huntsman spider".....I wasn't arachniphobic before this, but now....I live in North America where the biggest spider I ever saw was in my garden, and she was only about three inches legs and all (actually, my tomatoes were nice and bug-free that year, and she was so big I could spot her before I went in picking, and just avoided her - good for us both!)
I hate to burst your bubble, but those spiders are in the Americas.  I live in Florida and here they are called wood spiders, but it's the same kind of spider.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Octavia

« Reply #2962 on: January 20, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
I was just reminded by one in the "This might be a stupid question, but..." thread. Don't spray Static Guard on your clothes in your teeny-tiny bathroom with the door closed. It took at least a couple of hours for my throat and sinuses to feel normal again.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2963 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »

If you are an arachnophobe, DO NOT google "clock spider". Just don't.

If you are not an arachnophobe and you find creepy things AWESOME, go for it.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2964 on: January 20, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Okay, don't google it, but DO read the Urban Dictionary entry on "Clock Spider:"

A huge huntsman spider found by someone in a relative's house, living under a clock. He took 3 photographs before, presumably, running from the room with terror. the first one is the clock, with the spider's legs poking out from one side of it. the second is a pic of the spider with the clock gone (it's not clear whether the clock has been moved or the spider as moved away from it) and the third one is a horrifyingly detailed close up showing the fur on the spider (eurgh). According to legend, this spider once had a ninth leg which fell off in a battle with limecat and became the being mortals worship as "God". Fools, clock spider will not treat them with mercy when judging them along with worshippers of limecat who will, undoubtedly, be fed to the spider after judgement day. rumor has it that the messenger the spider sends as the "judge" on judgement day will be a humongous piece of cheese, but since the spider will probably have eaten the Jupiter sized king of cheese long before then, who will be sent remains to be seen...
clock spider > limecat / limecat > clockspider / AAARRRGGGHHH! IT'S BIGGER THAN A CLOCK!!! *faints*

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #2965 on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:20 AM »
I hate to burst your bubble, but those spiders are in the Americas.  I live in Florida and here they are called wood spiders, but it's the same kind of spider.

In the top end of Australia we have Wolf Spiders. They look like a huntsman, but those buggers are AGGRESSIVE! I got chased across the lounge room by one just after I first arrived. DH was no help, he was too busy laughing at me. Rat fink.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2966 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
In Florida, we have wolf spiders. Most of them keep to themselves, but occasionally, in our old house, we would encounter a very aggressive specimen.

My story begins in the shower. I take my glasses off, so distance vision is rather fuzzy. I saw something moving in the corner of the tub and thought it was a common gecko. It wasn't.

It was a wolf spider as big as the palm of my hand. He had humungous fangs. DH caught him in a jar and he tried to attack us. He was released far away from us.

Stormtreader

« Reply #2967 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
The UK also has wolf spiders, we used to get them in the country as big as my hand although I only know one person thats been bitten by one. It dropped on my dads shoulder when he was converting the old barn and I always imagined it was like the Far Side cartoon with the mosquitos "If we pull this off lads, we'll eat like kings!"  ;D

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2968 on: January 21, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
I live on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, very large arachnids do not like the winters here.  It's a balmy 10 degrees Farenheit today.  In other news, I just discovered last week, when it was REALLY cold (Polar Vortex, anyone?) that both rock salt and ice melt stop working when the temperature outside gets cold enough.  I found this out by doing a crazed jitterbug on my front step. I didn't fall, but pulled enough muscles staying vertical that I wonder if the bruises/broken bones would have been less painful.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2969 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
As a Michiganian, I'm feeling your pain, Copper Horsewoman. I've done that dance myself in the past.

Also, I often joke that the reason I stay here in this state despite the snow is that our winters keep our spiders to a reasonable size.  :D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.