Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 521002 times)

alkira6

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3135 on: May 19, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
My follow up question is if those who tested the explosiveness are also going to test the 'makes orange flavored tea' portion? >:D

I tasted the Big K after the last "experiment".  Disgusting.  Flat and hot and it left this weird chalky taste behind.

PS - I did it this past week because it was supposed to rain. It rained a ton, but not before hordes of ants came scouting for sugar.  so, beware of ants in the aftermath.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3136 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
More importantly, where is the YouTube link?   ;D

sorry. Ended up unexpectedly busy this weekend, but I have not forgotten.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3137 on: May 20, 2014, 08:16:47 AM »
PUBLIC SERVANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Don't put a teabag in a cup, forget about it and then pour soup on top of the teabag and put it in the microwave.

The result was soup with an aftertaste of tea. Nowhere near as bad as putting baby powder in coffee (instead of sugar - I was exhausted), or putting expressed milk in tea (DH did that, again as a result of exhaustion - a screaming baby will do that to you), but nonetheless something I would not recommend.

Oh, and the teabag floating on top of the soup looks fairly grim as well.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #3138 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
I believe you. Years and years ago when I was at school there was a drinks vending machine that managed somehow to get its dispenser out of sync, so that you got half of what you had asked for and half of what the person before you had wanted. The coffee/chocolate was OK but chocolate/soup was peculiar, to say the least, and the lemon squash/soup made with cold water looked like a medical sample.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3139 on: May 20, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
I believe you. Years and years ago when I was at school there was a drinks vending machine that managed somehow to get its dispenser out of sync, so that you got half of what you had asked for and half of what the person before you had wanted. The coffee/chocolate was OK but chocolate/soup was peculiar, to say the least, and the lemon squash/soup made with cold water looked like a medical sample.

Ugh.  :-X
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Carotte

« Reply #3140 on: May 25, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
Don't think you're only popping out for 5 minutes to get a package from the post office and that you don't need your cellphone for that.
Or that you don't need some metro tickets or your wallet.

Also, don't, after two years without mistaking them, think it's ok to grab the first set of keys without checking which one they are - you might also want to not have two 'related' keychain for the two distinct key bunch you own (your own keys and the one for your parent's place, both with 3 keys and a plastic macaroon keychain, one round/pink the other green/heart).

That will result in you being locked out without means to call/text your SO or the friend who lives 5 minutes away and has the copy of the good keys.
For the next 4 hours  :-[.

I'm at least gratefull I had my ID (only because I was picking up something), so I finally went to the library and got a card and borrowed two books. I did a lot of walking, even tried to find an outfit for a wedding this summer.
I'm also glad I had an euro to buy a pack of biscuits. My small umbrella (because of course it rained) and lucky I put a sweater and a scarf.
Too bad the weather wasn't nice or I would have just went to a park. And my movie theater card was in my wallet so no sitting for two movies.

magicdomino

« Reply #3141 on: May 28, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
I recommend making sure the griddle is by itself on the stove eye before turning it on, as opposed to, say, sitting on a potholder.   Just to complicate things, the potholder was a synthetic fabric and melted onto the glass top, as well as burning.  I now have charred plastic on the largest eye, and boy, is that stuff difficult to remove!  Googling brought suggestions of Goo Gone or WD-40 combined with a razor blade scraper.   Maybe my razor blade is too worn, but I wasn't impressed.  More scrubbing and scraping to go.

The griddle is cast iron, so I'm going to burn the charred plastic off the bottom outside on the grill. 

GreenHall

« Reply #3142 on: May 28, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
I recommend making sure the griddle is by itself on the stove eye before turning it on, as opposed to, say, sitting on a potholder.   Just to complicate things, the potholder was a synthetic fabric and melted onto the glass top, as well as burning.  I now have charred plastic on the largest eye, and boy, is that stuff difficult to remove!  Googling brought suggestions of Goo Gone or WD-40 combined with a razor blade scraper.   Maybe my razor blade is too worn, but I wasn't impressed.  More scrubbing and scraping to go.

The griddle is cast iron, so I'm going to burn the charred plastic off the bottom outside on the grill.
Not a recomendation, since I can imagine various ways it could go wrong, but when I did similar, I got the very worst I could off, plus anything anywhere near close by (I'm a clutterer by nature, I've finally realized).  Then I turned the stove on low, and let the heat re-melt...whatever it was.   Then I CAREfully used a metal spatula to get the next worst round.  Then when the very dregs cooled down again, I used a scrubbie to get that off. 

magicdomino

« Reply #3143 on: May 28, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

Not a recomendation, since I can imagine various ways it could go wrong, but when I did similar, I got the very worst I could off, plus anything anywhere near close by (I'm a clutterer by nature, I've finally realized).  Then I turned the stove on low, and let the heat re-melt...whatever it was.   Then I CAREfully used a metal spatula to get the next worst round.  Then when the very dregs cooled down again, I used a scrubbie to get that off.

I figure that if  the remaining crud stays on there, the glass surface will have to be replaced anyway -- which means a new stove since this one is 14 years old and has other issues.  So, it is worth the risk of scratching the surface.

greencat

« Reply #3144 on: May 28, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »

I figure that if  the remaining crud stays on there, the glass surface will have to be replaced anyway -- which means a new stove since this one is 14 years old and has other issues.  So, it is worth the risk of scratching the surface.

My roommate melted a plastic cutting board onto the glass top of my stove once.  The best suggestion I have is actually to ice it - the stiffer the plastic is, the easier it is to get off!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3145 on: May 28, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »
Try using a non-abrasive cleanser like Vim and a non-scratching scrubbie.  I've successfully removed baked on stuff that everything else resisted.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3146 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
Try using a non-abrasive cleanser like Vim and a non-scratching scrubbie.  I've successfully removed baked on stuff that everything else resisted.

Baking soda paste may help, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

GreenHall

« Reply #3147 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »

I used baking soda, but I wasn't sure whether to suggest it, since I'm not sure if it's actually good for a glass top.   ::)

magicdomino

« Reply #3148 on: May 29, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »

I used baking soda, but I wasn't sure whether to suggest it, since I'm not sure if it's actually good for a glass top.   ::)

I think this stuff is beyond baking soda.  Barkeeper's Friend, a mild abrasive that usually works well on burned crud without damaging the glass, is barely touching this mess. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3149 on: May 29, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

I think this stuff is beyond baking soda.  Barkeeper's Friend, a mild abrasive that usually works well on burned crud without damaging the glass, is barely touching this mess.

I swear by Barkeeper's friend, and if it's not working...wow, you did a number.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.